PDA

View Full Version : Sansuk guesthouse - major building works

louis50
October 20th, 2012, 10:33
I stayed here for a couple of days earlier this month. The place is really nice and the rooms are spacious and pretty comfortable. The thing that spoilt my stay was the noise of the building works as a new block is currently being built - it was horrendous, from early morning to mid-evening. Impossible to relax at the pool as the building work is going on all around the pool, literally 10 feet away - it wouldn't have been quite so bad if the builders had at least been hunky shirts-off types, but they were in fact (somewhat strangely) mostly stout middle-aged women from what I could see! Not sure when it will all be finished but it was nowhere near complete when I was there. There's another very noisy major building project going on a couple of blocks away.

Service was mixed - Khun Punya is very welcoming and the receptionists were efficient and friendly. However, apart from the guy who served breakfast, the other restaurant/bar staff were not friendly at all - very little interaction with customers, no greetings, no smiles, nothing - just seemed to chat amongst themselves and play with their mobile phones. The food was nice though!

Would stay here again but ONLY when all the work is finished.

Oliver
October 20th, 2012, 15:07
It is certainly a huge project.
I spent an afternoon at the sauna a couple of weeks ago and was, as usual, impressed by the facilities and the Thai food in the restaurant.
However, the swimming pool was hemmed in by the building site and had lost its allure- at least to me. I wondered whether the management should have offered a reduced entry fee as a gesture to patrons.
I recall Babylon doing so a couple of years ago when its swimming pool was being refurbished.....resulting a huge increase in the number of Thai young men there.

Alex303
October 20th, 2012, 23:36
I have to say that i stayed there for the better part of 2 weeks & whilst irritating at times if you can pick your room carefully i found it bearable. The front facing rooms that over-look the entrance were best in my case.

I'm a light sleeper & often not home to the very early hours & it never prevented me fully from sleeping in. Yes its a bit of an eye-sore around the pool at the mo but i don't see what choice Punya has whilst their tying in the new structures to the old. I think a reduced admission cost (temporarily) to the Sauna would be a good idea though & could encourage more of the locals.

The guy who runs breakfast is super cool, a really nice genuine chap...but i agree that some of the guys who work in the restaurant in the afternoon do need to cheer up / chill out a tad.

goji
October 21st, 2012, 15:43
A hotel shouldn't be merely tolerable, it should be very pleasant. I would stay somewhere else whilst the building works are going on.

Oliver
October 22nd, 2012, 15:24
The disruption should be reflected in the price.

October 22nd, 2012, 15:49
The only trouble with that, Oliver, is that when the disruption is over there would be complaints of a price rise - I kid you not!

Surely the answer is to make people aware of the disruption (I don't know if Sansuk do this on booking - but I see nothing on the website) and let them make an informed choice on whether to stay - including whether the tariff is acceptable.

:dontknow:

Oliver
October 22nd, 2012, 18:30
I was thinking specifically of the sauna. I'm an admirer of the place and its owner but I was not given a fair deal two weeks ago when the building works swallowed up the swimming-pool area.
Ok; 50 or even 100 bht off the admission price would be no big deal (though it may be to Thais) but it's a question of principle and respect for the customer.
And no; I had no idea that the place was in that condition.