PDA

View Full Version : Masseur Tipping

Marsilius
October 14th, 2012, 16:34
[May I point out that DaBoss created this thread - and so is the one responsible for the incorrect spelling of "masseur" that appears in the thread title! My opening remarks also followed on from a poster in the original thread who had observed that he thought not many people knew that beach masseurs had to pay a fee to the owner of the beach concession where the massage took place.]

I would guess that quite a few people know that masseurs pay the concession operators, having become aware in at least the past 2 or 3 years. In that time it seems to have become normal practice for masseurs to specifically and quite openly ask for the extra sum, over and above the cost of the massage itself, citing that very justification. They never did that in the previous 15 or so years of my beach visits.

Neal
October 14th, 2012, 17:29
As the other thread "beach tipping" really had to do with the boys that set up the chairs and toear them back down as well as provide you service, I thought it was best to split the thread here as now we will go off on massuers.

My experience on the beach is that they have never asked me for beach chair fee although I am well aware they price has increased just a little. I have about 7 young men that give me awesome massages and I pay them 300 baht for an hour and usually treat them to a drink. Maybe it is a little highbut I think the rate is about 25 so it is not much more. They can save the price of a drink or pay for the chair with the extra. Its well worth it for me.

SoiVC Slut-old
October 14th, 2012, 17:48
I will always tip 50B on a 300B massage even in it is just an Ok massage. That leaves enough for them to pay the fee they have to pay to the concession owner andl leaves them enough for a drink when they finish. If the massage is excellent I usually tip 100B

Neal
October 14th, 2012, 17:50
So you pay 350 - 400 baht? I wonder how many others do as I really thought I was giving them enough at 300 plus a drink. :dontknow:

Up2U
October 14th, 2012, 18:17
If a masseur approaches and asks "Massage?" and you ask how much for one hour, the standard answer is 250 baht. From that he must pay 30 baht to the concession. If you get a lousy massage or don't want a massage in the future from this person, then give him what he asked for. If it is a good massage and you want a massage from this masseur in the future I would tip a very minimum of 300 baht. I give my favorite masseurs 350 baht and will at times buy them a drink or lunch on a hot day. Never had a complaint or any reluctance on future bookings.

lukylok
October 14th, 2012, 18:28
I usually have the same masseur whom I have known for a long time. I always give 300, plus drink and very often share a meal with him. And he seems very happy to see me whenever I return. He is more like a friend.

searcher
October 14th, 2012, 21:27
Sorry, but I see no reason to give an "extra tip"....the boy who does the massage on the beach is NOT an employee of a massage shop but does his "own business".....The whole massage fee of 250 or whatever Baht stays in his pockets. Of course I would, like Neal, invite the boy for a drink "after"...

Daniel-old
October 14th, 2012, 22:40
On the rare occasion I go to the beach, I have a massage, just to give my friends a break from my incessant talking. As I don't have a regular masseur, I always ask how much. 250 baht appears to be the latest asking price. When the asking price has been 250 baht, I too gave 300 baht. The masseurs seem appreciative of the 'tip'. If they feel properly remunerated, I've enjoyed the massage, and the concession gets 30 baht for the tip jar, I guess everyone's a winner. If others feel comfortable paying 250 or 400 baht, that's fine by me.

gaymandenmark
October 14th, 2012, 22:59
I am with searcher on this, if it is their "own businees" I see no reason to tip, as we have agreed on a price, on the other hand, I have heard or learned, that on some islands the massage men and women, pays something to "a cartel" for every baht they earn, and then I am not so sure anymore.
That was at least what my ex-bf told me on Koh Samet, when he tipped, with my money of course :occasion9: , true or not.

October 14th, 2012, 23:18
Is an extra 50B to pay the chair-hire people really a big issue guys?

:tif:

joe552
October 15th, 2012, 02:50
I'd often suspected that you're not really Scottish - now this post seems to prove it! :occasion9:

October 15th, 2012, 04:20
No Joe it's now that he's got all the money coming in from his new moderators job money is no object anymore, I mean I know Neal's rich and stuff but to pay someone over 5000 baht a week simply to moderate a board personally I think is WAY to much - hell I would do it for 3000 a week and be happy about that !! but hey at least the massage guy seems to be benefiting so I guess at least Scot's is sharing it round ;-)

joe552
October 15th, 2012, 04:49
If only he were sharing it among the massage boys, NIrish Guy, but by his own admission he hasn't been to Thailand for some time. So I hold to my original point - he's not really Scottish, he just likes wearing skirts. :sign5:

[Oh come on you two - you don't honestly think I'd do this job for a measly 5000B a week?
It's WAY more than that.]

:party

October 15th, 2012, 09:35
If I had a massage on the beach I worry about getting sand under my fourskin.

lukylok
October 15th, 2012, 13:38
If I had a massage on the beach I worry about getting sand under my fourskin.

Can be understood if you have four !!!!!! :sign5:

Sorry, I couldn't resist !

ultimo
October 15th, 2012, 16:02
My guy works 208 hours per month. At a salary of 9000 baht that equates to aroung 44 baht per hour! He is on the go constantly.
In the bank he has a very nice amount which he has saved and it hasnt come from me.

Massage boys usually manage one massage per day in low season and very many more in high season.
At a rate of 250 to 300 baht per massage then over 31 days he has worked 31 hours and earned approx
7700 - 9300 baht for that service. In high season triple that and thats what they get.
The majority then sit at the back of the beach and gamble it away in card schools!
Give us a break please. There are always those silly farangs (expats and 3 weeks holiday spenders) that seem intent on believing the Thai boys are down and out etc. There is one massage muscle boy on the beach who has invested his money in two condos and rents them out with a lot having come from massaging. Many of the others have no concept of money in the bank and are the ones who sit at the back of the beach and fritter it away.
In terms of the chair boys I agree they do need the extra from tips to help them get by for the month so give generously in that area and forget the bottles of beer for the massage boys!! Unless of course you want to be noted as Mr Big Spender and have many visitors to your seat on the beach.

October 15th, 2012, 19:39
If buying or tipping a couple of bottles of beer now and again leads to being designated as a "big spender" - one can only wonder how cheap the rest of the farang beachbunnies must be.

:occasion5:

Daniel-old
October 15th, 2012, 23:16
There is one massage muscle boy on the beach who has invested his money in two condos and rents them out with a lot having come from massaging. Many of the others have no concept of money in the bank and are the ones who sit at the back of the beach and fritter it away.

Well, this 4 week holiday spender will not be using the above as justification for withholding a 50 baht tip.

ultimo
October 16th, 2012, 03:09
If buying or tipping a couple of bottles of beer now and again leads to being designated as a "big spender" - one can only wonder how cheap the rest of the farang beachbunnies must be.

:occasion5:

Do you visit the beach on a regular basis?
I am sure that the rest of the farang beachbunnies are not cheap but are realistic, when making comparisons to other Thai guys who work very hard for their money.
As I said if you have anything worthwhile to give then make sure it is to the 'chair' guys. They, deserve it.

If you are the Daniel i know then you do go overboard with the holiday savings money. :laughing3:

October 16th, 2012, 15:03
I'm not a beach person - but that's completely immaterial - my point being that occasionally tipping a few bottles of beer for massage boys/chair boys does not make you a "big spender" by any reasonable definition.

And I'm not Daniel either - though being on SGF can occasionally feel like venturing into the lions den.

:occasion9:

October 16th, 2012, 16:15
Just cause you may find yourself on your knees three times a day like Daniel I'm guessing it's for very different reasons so I'm not sure that counts ! !!! lol

Neal
October 17th, 2012, 02:05
As many know I have a lot of trouble getting around and even when I stand, the boys in my section are always helpful when I go. As I go or try to go every other day because I am in the hospital every other day, I find the boys so compasionate and reward them well. They are great and deserve everything they get!

christianpfc
October 18th, 2012, 02:55
I would guess that quite a few people know that masseurs pay the concession operators, having become aware in at least the past 2 or 3 years. In that time it seems to have become normal practice for masseurs to specifically and quite openly ask for the extra sum, over and above the cost of the massage itself, citing that very justification. They never did that in the previous 15 or so years of my beach visits.

I did not know that, but I didn't get any massage at the beach so it makes no difference for me.

I don't care if a massage costs 250 or 300 Baht, if I want one I'll pay for it. But I don't like surprises in price (like 10% service charge in bars or restaurants, or a fee for using your credit card when paying for flights).

Le me compare this to a fuel surcharge some airlines levy on their flights (? not sure about that, read it somewhere but have no personal experience): They know from the very beginning that their airplane flies with fuel and not with solar energy, so they can include these costs from the very beginning. Same with the massage at the beach. It's not about the money, it's a principle.

A counter example would be taxi drivers asking if you want to use he express way (and pay the fees) or not. Here you have a choice.

October 18th, 2012, 03:24
Well Christian, you'd love Ryanair - their latest wheeze is to charge you to check-in!

Now, I don't mean just to check-in at the airport (we have come to accept that with low-cost airlines) but they even charge you a lower but still significant fee for "online check-in"!!

So, since you have to check-in one way or the other, how can anybody avoid paying either charge?

:dontknow: :dontknow:

Surfcrest
October 19th, 2012, 03:51
I take a massage at the beach every day and at the same time. I've never tipped a beach massage, giving them the full 300 baht and knowing they take less from other customers.
On occasion, I'll let them order something from the beach....but if it gets excessive (which many times it does), I switch guys. If they ask for more money or ask to borrow money....it's over.
If they aren't focused on the massage, like talking on their phone or to other people and not working....I'll let them go.
The guys working the chairs are always good at finding the guy I want or recommending a new one.

I once had a girl on 2nd Road in Pattaya that gave the best "real" massage ever. The place where she worked charged me 700 baht for 90 minutes.
Because she was able to work on the spot that bothered me most and made me fee so much better over the months I was in town....I wound up gladly tipping her an extra 300 baht with each visit.
I've also found some fantastic places for a legitimate massage in Bangkok, although nothing like I had with my girl in Pattaya.

Most Jomtien beach massages , at best, are just okay.

Surfcrest

markie1
October 19th, 2012, 10:59
I pay 220 for 1 hour massage , which I think is reasonable , some boys ask for 250 but I have a string of guys that will take 220 for a foot massage on the beech ,that's all my resident friends pay also,so maybe it's 250 for short time holiday makers ,I personally don't think it warrants any more than that ,and some of these guys make big money ..