PDA

View Full Version : SPICE, The Wave from Hell, by O Ho proprietor

wowpow
May 26th, 2006, 14:15
"After a week Pon and I went back to Bangkok having lost absolutely everything except our lives and my bank account and a pair of my shoes that we found later upon our return to the island which I proudly still wear today! The owner of the resort was at a loss of what to do next and asked me and Pon to return to the island after a weekтАЩs rest to assess the situation and advise him on the next steps to be taken. We spent three weeks there living like hermits on a deserted beach, no water, no electricity only debris and a million mosquitoes. We had to dig for everything we needed to survive and make life livable. After assessing the damage it was obvious that rebuilding would require massive clearing and reshaping of the grounds as the tidal waters had created massive channels and lakes where the resort had once been. We had to tell the owner that it would require a huge investment and an almost impossible logistical task to rebuild. After advising the owner of this we gave up. Pon was dead scared being there amongst the spirits of the dead and I had had enough of living from bottled water. There was no hope of any future development for a long time.

Now we are back in Bangkok. Pon and I are starting life all over again at O..HoтАжRestaurant; but still remember with horror the tsunami and thanking our respective Gods for the good fortune of life. And those who did not make it may they rest in peace away from the fears of this world. " extract - link to full article

http://www.spicemag.net/?page=articles&(page)=14wavefromhell

A friend told me how impressed he was with this article on the Phuket tsunami. I realised that I had skipped it and so I read it. It is an intense personal recollection of the huge drama of the day and written with heartaching compassion. I was so surprised to find in the last paragraph that it was the owner of O Ho Restaurant (off Bangkok's Soi Ngam Duphli) who was the author.

Whilst on the topic - do yourself a kindness and have abrowse around STICKY's website it is blossoming and crammed with information and amusements. The maps are a visitor must. Now we have both that and the old Sticky Rice website still meandering along.

May 26th, 2006, 18:45
"Whilst on the topic - do yourself a kindness and have abrowse around STICKY's website it is blossoming and crammed with information and amusements. The maps are a visitor must. .

Unless of course you are interested in clubs in the Soi 6 area which are noticable by their omission.

May 26th, 2006, 21:15
[quote="TeePeeWhilst on the topic - do yourself a kindness and have abrowse around STICKY's website it is blossoming and crammed with information and amusements. .[/quote]

Having just taken a look at the website's stats for the past four days it seems to have had a dissapointing number of visitotrs.

From 22-26 May there have only been 549 visits to the sites Homepage and today the majority of the visits have all originated from one address in Germany.

I fear advertisers will not pay good money unless traffic to the site improves.

bing
May 26th, 2006, 21:31
I am a bit slow in finding things, but the new Spice web site listed above is really quite nice. It is easy to navigate and has lots of listings and maps and links that make it a useful place to visit. I liked the article on the plane ride from NYC to Bangkok. I looked into, it is 17 hours direct, but by the time I'd get to NYC to take flight, the time would be better spent in flying to Bangkok. He did not mention it but it is a rather expensive flight. So I guess I'll have to spend 24 hours getting there for a lot less. We can wish the price will come down.

wowpow
May 26th, 2006, 23:19
quote "Unless of course you are interested in clubs in the Soi 6 area which are noticable by their omission." Naughty but nice

I see 4 bars listed on Soi 6. You are at liberty to suggest the miising ones to the editor. As with other sites he may choose to edit out some bars for fear that association will discourage advertising by the respectable bars.

549 hits a day on a site that is barely off the press. Sounds quite good to me.

There is so much good stuf fthere it must have been hard work to glean the negative that you publish. I admire your tenacity - only.

May 26th, 2006, 23:27
quote 549 hits a day on a site that is barely off the press. Sounds quite good to me.

There is so much good stuf fthere it must have been hard work to glean the negative that you publish. I admire your tenacity - only.

When so many of the hits originate from one address ( the same computer) that is not good for encouraging advertisers.

I have not made any negative comment, other than the omission of some of the Soi 6 establishments about the site.

It was not hard work to gather the site stats, they are there for anyone to see at the click of a mouse.

catawampuscat
May 27th, 2006, 10:47
After a recent weekend stay at the Malaysia Hotel, I tried O..Ho for breakfast and was very pleased both times.. The nicely air-conditioned
restaurant is charming and well laid out.. I went for the Thai breakfast with excellent coffe served with two types of milk (fresh and condensed)
brown sugar (nice touch) and tasty orange juice..I would have liked the orange juice without ice but it was tasty and had pulp..The rice porridge
(kow tom)was tasty and a very large serving piping hot..
The wait staff were very efficient and even brought over the daily newspaper without being asked for..Nice touch..
The owner was very friendly and welcoming..
The coffee was so good that on my second visit, when asked if I wanted more, I said ok and wasn't sure if I would be charged for another coffee
or if it was a free refill like at Malay restaurant nearby..I was charged for a second but hey it was still a great deal and very enjoyable..
Malay (I hope I have the name right) is just a minute or two away and also has a very nice breakfast with free endless refills of coffee and
has an a/c room and a pretty open air room as well..Daily newspapers are also available..It is nice to have a choice of two good places for breakfast....

wowpow
May 27th, 2006, 11:04
I think the restaurant nearby that you mention is MALI which is agree is also very nice. It's run by a delighful American guy so I think that's why he is so liberal with the coffee. I wonder if the King and Queen of Sweden will be dining there, during their June visit, as they do so often - and stay at Panthip Court across the way. I don't think they know about O Ho?

catawampuscat
May 27th, 2006, 11:22
It is Mali , maybe spelled Malee?.. They have photos of the royalty on the wall and the Michigan potato salad is a dead ringer for the real thing..
Coffee okay in Mali but better at O..Ho
I had something to eat at the Malaysia Hotel and was surprised at how tasty it was and althou a bit pricey, the food can be be quite good at the hotel....

wowpow
May 27th, 2006, 12:12
Spelled Mali not Malee

"Mali. 43 Sathorn Soi 1, Phone: (0) 2679 - 8693
Thai and international food, good selection of wines, friendly relaxed atmosphere. Open from 8:00 AM (for breakfast) till 11:00 PM every day. Not gay, but friendly. Prices moderate."

in the brilliant www.dreadedned.com (http://www.dreadedned.com) - as is

"O..Ho... Restaurant, 2/8 Soi Sri Bumphen, Phone: (0) 2286-5292
Located just around the corner from the Malaysia Hotel, gay owned and operated fully licensed restaurant, air conditioned, Thai and Western a la carte menu, soft background music with mood lighting and stunningly decorated. Prices very reasonable, dishes from 40 - 190 Baht. Open from 9:00 AM til midnight (member discounts for dinner only).

Soi Bumping?