PDA

View Full Version : Inguinal Hernia тАУ The Naval Encounter

x in pattaya
October 11th, 2012, 15:11
Inguinal Hernia тАУ The Naval Encounter - Queen Sirikit Naval Hospital in Sattahip

Since 20 to 25 % of all males will develop an inguinal hernia, I thought the following information might be of interest to at least a few of you staying in the Pattaya area. If this isnтАЩt something of interest to you, feel free to move along to other topics rather than complaining about how boring it is.

After a number of years ignoring my minimal, reducible hernia, I finally decided I should do something about it.
From Internet searches it seems that a single hernia treated with an open incision in Bangkok or Pattaya area private hospitals can run from Baht 100,000 to Baht 200,000. Cost references varied a lot based on experiences shared on ThaiVisa, Teak Door and other message boards, in part because those writing had treatment anywhere from very recently to 10 years ago. The cost of Laparoscopic repair also varied, but was considerably more expensive.

I have a friend who had a double hernia open incision repair done 9 years ago in the US for $12,000 and IтАЩve heard of estimates there of up to $25,000 currently.

I had also heard mixed reviews on experiences at Queen Sirikit Naval Hospital in Sattahip, but the more rational reports (i.e. not those written by the usual ranting demented Thai bashers on Thai Visa) seemed favorable and even recently a unilateral open incision repair was reported as costing less than Baht 30,000.

So I informed my friend that he would be driving me to Sattahip early the next morning. He was fine with that until I called him at 7:30 in the morning. A lot of whimpering ensued as well as attempts to bargain for 10:00, 9:30 and 9:00, all of which failed to win me over. We left around 8:30. ItтАЩs a 30 to 45 minute drive south on Sukhumvit.

The reception area had the ambience of a chaotic bus station. No Starbucks or Au Bon Pain, no stringed quartets, no air conditioning. Depending on your facility with the Thai language, you might survive it all, but if you decide to give this hospital a try for this procedure, itтАЩs highly recommended you bring along your Thai friend and that you do a little vocabulary work with him ahead of time.
Surgery = р╕Бр╕▓р╕гр╕Ьр╣Ир╕▓р╕ р╕▒р╕Ф and hernia = р╣Др╕кр╣Йр╣Ар╕ер╕╖р╣И р╕нр╕Щ, will be useful at the very least.

In reception we were in the queue behind a naval officer who was registering his wife and he took it upon himself to ask the clerk for a registration form for me in English and then asked if I had a pen. I forgot mine in the car so he gave me his. Everyone there was equally friendly and helpful. Many of the people there were uniformed army or navy personnel, most of the others were Thai civilians or military dependents. I only saw one other farang.

Registration cost Baht 20. I got an ID card & folder and we headed off for the surgery waiting area. Another good reason to go with a Thai speaker is that the place is really large and finding your way around without him to ask directions repeatedly would probably be difficult.

Several hundred people were waiting in the surgery area, many of whom were probably just accompanying patients. Air conditioning was super cold, even worse than Thai cinemas. They took blood pressure and then we sat for an hour or more. I brought along both iPad and Kindle for entertainment. I read and Himself played games on the iPad. There were also a fair number of young soldiers and sailors in the waiting room, many of whom were well worth watching.
Around the periphery of the waiting area were many examination rooms, each with a small set of numbered plastic seats in front. A clerk eventually collected 6 to 10 folders for recent arrivals, located the corresponding people and directed us each to a numbered chair before an exam room. The doctor arrived and called us in in the order of the seating arrangement.

Both doctors I saw spoke excellent English. I believe many of them have trained in the US, which seemed likely given their accents. The first collected information and did a hands-on clinical exam. Since my hernia is reducible and is neither incarcerated nor strangulated, the procedure was not considered urgent but rather elective.

He called in another surgeon who also examined me and suggested laparoscopic surgery under general anesthesia. There are pros and cons to either method, but he did say with the laparoscopic procedure he could easily check for and treat any other possible weak spots or a possible hernia on the other side, which would not be found using the open single incision method. I could either wait for the next opening in early December at the naval hospital or get it done sooner at a private hospital where he also worked. The former would probably run between baht 60,000 to 70,000 depending on whether the repair involved the single hernia or more. Lab tests, room and food would be additional. When I go there for the procedure, I would need to deposit Baht 100,000. IтАЩve read others were required to make a Baht 60,000 deposit or less for the less expensive open incision procedure тАж any unused balance is returned immediately in cash. The approximate one hour spent with the two surgeons doing the clinical exam cost тАж wait for it тАж Baht 200.

If you opt for a single room, you must have someone stay with you. ItтАЩs expected I will spend two nights there. Himself seems to find some amusement at the prospect of looking after me (and probably a little joy at me being drugged up or maybe even writhing in pain). We may have to revisit the topic of karmic retribution.

Without a 24/7 companion youтАЩd need to stay in a ward where nursing staff can monitor you more easily. And, once again there is the language issue. The doctors I encountered spoke fluent English and most other people tried a few words, but it is a Thai facility primarily intended for Thai military and civilian nationals.

Of course your friend may not be a flawless conduit for medical information. He may fully understand what heтАЩs told in Thai, but he might not have the English vocab to deal with it all. When the nurse was reviewing what the doctor had already discussed with me, his explanation turned тАЬlaparoscopic surgeryтАЭ into тАЬlaser surgeryтАЭ and тАЬblood thinners like aspirinтАЭ became тАЬparacetamol.тАЭ

Anyone with specific questions about the first part of this experience, please pm me. Assuming I survive it all IтАЩll share what happens during the actual procedure and post-op recovery.

I also had very successful treatment for sub-retinal bleeding, aka macular degeneration, at Bangkok-Pattaya Hospital. Not as common as hernias and it was out-patient treatment, but if anyone is looking for information on that, please pm me.

sattahip-old
October 12th, 2012, 05:34
Thank you for this useful and practical information. I hope all goes well for you and look forward to hearing about this as it progresses

zubes
October 12th, 2012, 10:33
Had my inguinal hernia repaired at QS last year using open surgery, was in for three nights, total bill under 18000 baht, they were going for keyhole surgery but decided it was too severe so they did open, when I was discharged I was given a 35000 cash refund. Pros: well looked after, impressed by the surgical team, other patients and visitors very friendly. Cons: as stated above the nursing staff have limited English, food I am not a lover of Thai food so I was on a self enforced diet al be it supplemented with plenty of fruit and food brought in by my visitors, the point was raised by the doctor as they were concerned for my well being. I would certainly go back there if I have any health problems in the future, if anyone has any questions feel free to pm me, and yes some nice eye candy!

Geezer
October 12th, 2012, 14:34
Several years ago I copied and saved this post from Thaivisa.com concerning Queen Sirikit Hospital.

Today, went to see the hospital but forgot to take the maps. The driver took the тАЬlong windedтАЭ route and knew exactly where to go. Journey took 40 minutes. We drove in the main entrance to the hospital passing ponds on each side. Car park area is very large.

There are 3 obvious doors to the hospital: The one on the left is Administration, the centre one is to the wards, and the one on the right is Outpatients. Admin and Outpatients are closed on Saturdays and Sundays. The doors were locked. Emergency is further to the right than Outpatients and is set back from the main fa├зade. Outside there were many wheelchairs and stretchers and an ambulance.

We went in and found ourselves in a large room fitted out with seating, and I think I saw an ATM. The triage desk is almost immediately inside the room on the right and also on the right is the door into the Emergency Room (ER) for ambulatory patients; straight ahead is Pharmacy; cashiers are on the left.

I went into the ER and a nurse very quickly came to ask how she could help me. I explained my mission was to see the hospital and find out a few things as I live in Pattaya and had heard that Queen Sirikit Hospital is very good. I was asked to take a seat inside the ER and the head nurse would come to see me.

The head nurse was a very pleasant gentleman speaking excellent English. I found out that the hospital will send an ambulance to Pattaya and can be summoned by phoning 038 245 929. I asked if the person answering the hospital phone would speak English and he said thereтАЩs always someone around who can. The sign above ER door gives phone # 038 245 777 and this # is also on ambulance(s).Maybe 038 245 929 is best # to phone?

We then went to find the wards. All the signs are in Thai but a few have English subtitles. The first ward we came to was orthopedics on the ground floor. There is no Reception so I went to the cashiers and explained my mission and was taken to the nursesтАЩ station and again was helped by a nurse speaking excellent English.

I was taken to see an ordinary private room fitted with a wind up bed, not an electrically controlled one. There was a small TV, a fridge, a fold down plastic covered sofa, an en-suite bathroom, and a balcony with a laundry tub on one wall and a frame to dry clothes on. Everything looked a bit battered.

The price per night is 1,200 baht. Food is extra. Thai food is 150 baht and European 300 baht per day. The nurse explained that if the patient does not have friend or family to stay with him 24/24 then patient cannot have a private room; he will be admitted to an open ward. I agree wholeheartedly. I have always said private rooms are dangerous places to be when sick and alone. Nurse said that there are VIP private rooms on the top floor that are same layout as the ordinary private but look better. I did not go to see as I didnтАЩt want to push my welcome. VIP room is 1,500 baht.

BACKGROUND: This is an inexpensive, 1000 bed Public Hospital, with 30 operating tables. Doctor/Dentist visits average 200 baht. Doctor wait-time is 45-60 minutes. Dentist wait-time is 10-20 minutes. English speaking is rare except for the doctors and head nurses. Most signs are in Thai. Bring a Thai friend to translate. The Information Desk does have English speakers.

TRANSPORTATION: Enter public bus on Sukhumvit, near Pattaya Tai at the pedestrian bridge. Take the bus marked Bangkok-Rayong. Bus fare is 30 baht. Departs every 30 minutes. Drive time is 60 minutes.

DIRECTIONS: The hospital is near U-Tapao Naval Airport at Sattahip.

cameroncat
October 16th, 2012, 04:48
I've had both types of Hernia surgeries (Open incision and Keyhole) in the States. In both cases, they sent me home the same day. The Open incision was very painful recovery (I actually passed out trying to walk to the bathroom), the other was sooo much better.