PDA

View Full Version : Gifts that I am bringing to Thailand.

bucknaway
October 5th, 2012, 03:45
Each trip when I am in Thailand the guys there always ask me to bring them a bottle of the cologne I wear and I was prepared to bring a bottle or two but feel it is too expensive a gift for butterfly friendships but I did purchase 2 bottles yesterday to pack and give as gifts to deserving companions. For myself I ordered a Powermat inductive charging kit for my Iphone as well as a musical bullet that plugs into my iphone as an external speaker with richer & louder sound. On my last trip the guys all seem to like my contact charger as well as the other external speaker I was using with my phone. This new speaker has the ability to charge itself after being plugged into a usb socket. My old one took 4 aaa batteries.

I purchased both items from Amazon.com for about $20 each and now I am thinking of returning the cologne and buying 3 speakers as well as 3 inductive powermats for the iphone (They work with 220v) and will give them as gifts.

If you would like info on these items here are the links

musical bullet http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_ ... sic+bullet (http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=music+bullet)

Iphone Powermat http://www.amazon.com/Powermat-One-Posi ... e+powermat (http://www.amazon.com/Powermat-One-Position-Charging-Receiver-Verizon/dp/B00462QB3I/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1349383431&sr=8-2&keywords=Iphone+powermat)

Now there are some of you that will want to send me a private message suggesting I stop posting about myself.... Save your advice. I'm not changing. :love4:

francois
October 5th, 2012, 04:47
"Leave the phone, take the cologne."

Just what was the brand/name of your fav cologne?

bucknaway
October 5th, 2012, 04:52
Pleasures for men by Estee Lauder. I'm going to take the cologne back for a refund tomorrow. I made up my mind :)

adman5000
October 5th, 2012, 07:13
On past trips I have brought large bags of sample size colognes, the ones they frequently give as gifts when your purchase colognes. It was very entertaining to get the bag out, and tell the Thai guy to pick his favorite 3 or 4 colognes. It was something that cost very little but made for an enjoyable time sampling each one to choose which he liked best. I enjoyed it as much or more than they did.

francois
October 5th, 2012, 08:52
I like that idea adman; will do same same.

frequentflier
October 5th, 2012, 11:26
Last of the big spenders..

bucknaway
October 5th, 2012, 16:54
Ha! I think it has more to do with us being in-tune to the company we keep.

October 5th, 2012, 18:09
Well I never boasted that I brought my boys $50 bottles of cologne while others are struggling just to get here or stay living here while thier mutual funds, income cheques and investments have all gone in the toilet. :occasion9:

bucknaway
October 5th, 2012, 23:45
Is that for me? It was not a boast. I had two guys in mind to give the cologne to but they are the same guys that loved my mini speaker and iPhone contact charger.

It's not a boast or a brag. It was simply the trut.

:: edit. ::

Didn't you boast about giving a bar as a gift? :tongue1:

francois
October 6th, 2012, 02:48
Just bought 5 small bottles of spray fragrance, each in different colored bottle and different aroma; 50 Baht each. Nothing cheap about Francois.
Great idea adman.

bing
October 6th, 2012, 03:55
HI
I will be in Pattaya this coming week,, I ponder bringing things too,,, but have found if you wander around a mall you will find a kiosk that mixed aromas to your liking and you can mix 2 or 3 together,, also cheap,, i think it was 100 baht for the spray bottle full,, and the boys enjoyed the process of smelling the varieties of aromas and choosing their favorites... Big C on Second has a nice kiosk for sure,,, and have seen them in other places too.

bucknaway
October 6th, 2012, 04:14
I did that on my 2nd trip to Thailand but when I was told they used the cologne to seal the letters they mailed me I felt it was a waste of money. But I purchased the colognes here in the USA, not in Thailand so they were not as economical.

adman5000
October 6th, 2012, 05:49
Frequent Flier: It has nothing to do with being a big spender or not. I find it practical. It is samples of name brand colognes, not cheap knock-off or stuff made in Thailand. The boys can choose what they like. I do not spend much on what they don't absolutely need so I can afford to help them with things they REALLY need.
It is the same reason I brought a suitcase with 35 pairs of good quality used nearly-new USA jeans my last trip. For them to buy the equivalent quality in Thailand is very expensive. I have an extra luggage allowance so it is a good way to use it. It is also a lot of fun for them to look through the American jeans and try to decide which they like. Believe me, it takes them a while. It is also practical because I can help 35 boys instead of one or two and I get the enjoyment of the entertainment 35 times.
It is like Christmas time for them. They are always politely thankful and they remember me a lot better. I do this in addition to the tip I give them.

francois
October 6th, 2012, 07:31
Same as you adman; I am bringing a suitcase of slightly used jeans all in small waist sizes. Will give the bf first choice and he often takes some back to the village for relatives and friends. Of course also bring new a pair, made in USA, 501 Levis for him.

Also, if you can find them, Gillette Power Fusion razors for the boys who like a smooth shave.

Oh, and always miniature Eiffel Tower key rings as souvenirs for the boys; they really love them. ;)

October 6th, 2012, 07:34
Last time i went i took a couple of Man City fc tops.....cause the time before one of the teachers at the local school in the village had told me he was in the Thai branch of the man city fan club so i told him when i come back i'll bring him a city shirt....and my bf's young cousin is into football to so he got the other....so now my bf wants one so thats what i'm bringing him for his birthday in dec....oh by the way....thats why i'm called Bluechris....cause i'm a blue ha ha

Impulse
October 6th, 2012, 10:40
I was thinking electronics also Buck. My friend brought this small speaker with amazing sound to work that was wireless. Just need bluetooth which all apples have. It was 25 bucks. Does this sound like a good idea?

lukylok
October 6th, 2012, 17:01
I am usually asked to bring chocolates....well, coming from Belgium ....
The problem is transport, chocolate does not go well with tropical heath. Luckily, there are nice little frigo boxes, sold in the praline shops.
Once arrived, the problem is fast resolved, the chocolate disappears !

Jellybean
October 6th, 2012, 20:54
Thank you for the Amazon link Bucknaway. I was not previously aware that I could get a speaker for my iPhone. I have just ordered one on Amazon UK for ME!

As regards presents for my special Thai boys, I have in the past bought colognes, Liverpool, Chelsea and Manchester United football shirts at the request of the boys.

My general fall back present to give to current and future boys is underwear, which I find is always welcome.

Occasionally, where I donтАЩt have a present and IтАЩve met a special boy I will go shopping with him and spend a few thousand Baht on presents of his choice.

bucknaway
October 7th, 2012, 02:58
I wonder how homeland security would treat those chocolates going through an American airport? You know we are scared of everything here now?

Hey Jelly... I mean, "Mr. Bean".... hehehe I am happy that you found something in the post useful. Also, if you are getting a speaker for your own personal use, I would suggest something by Altec Lansing. They make a nice one but it runs off aaa batteries. The one I chose for my Thai friends can be recharged by plugging it into a USB, but the sound is not as nice as the one by Altec Lansing.

The speaker was a big hit sitting on the balcony connected to my Iphone playing music as if it were coming from a boombox. And it also was great on the bedside table playing music to help set the mood for the massage that leads to more....

Everyone who saw the one I had wanted to know where I got it, how much it cost and how long the batteries last. I can remember tying to find one in Thailand but they were all too big to fit in your pocket and or were very cheap looking.

These are not items I plan to gift to moneyboys or gogo guys, these are for the guys that I see once or twice each time I visit.

This is similar to the one I had in Thailand but it didn't have rechargeable batteries. http://www.amazon.com/Altec-Lansing-IMT ... r+for+ipod (http://www.amazon.com/Altec-Lansing-IMT228-Portable-Speakers/dp/B008Y5GHCI/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1349553569&sr=8-11&keywords=altec+lansing+speaker+for+ipod)

bucknaway
October 7th, 2012, 03:28
One more thing.... I stopped packing candles and I no longer burn candles in the room. Now I bring little LED tea candles to help set the mood at night with the light jazz playing. I just set them around the room and they add the perfect amount of light.

http://www.amazon.com/Battery-operated- ... es+battery (http://www.amazon.com/Battery-operated-Tealight-Candles-Flameless/dp/B000HLLTSY/ref=sr_1_cc_2?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1349555155&sr=1-2-catcorr&keywords=tea+candles+battery)

Jellybean
October 7th, 2012, 23:08
Thanks for your further advice Bucknaway. I ordered the Music Angel Docking Speakers from Amazon UK yesterday and I received an email from them today saying my order had been dispatched. It cost me ┬г11.48 (or the equivalent of 566 Baht) including postage and packing.

Amazon UK has the Altec Lansing IMT227 Orbit Portable Speaker at a cost of ┬г18.90 (or the equivalent of 932 Baht). IтАЩm not sure how it differs from the Altec Lansing IMT228 mentioned in your link.

IтАЩll wait and see what the sound quality of the Music Angel is like and, if not satisfied, IтАЩll order the Altec Lansing given that it too is reasonably cheap.

Any hey! No need for the formality of тАЬMr BeanтАЭ, it is SGF after all . . . ha, ha, ha! I wonтАЩt remind you how DaBoss refers to me, otherwise itтАЩll become common place, but Jellybean, Jelly or JB will do just fine.

:occasion9:

francois
October 8th, 2012, 00:22
The thought of the bf using his Iphone as a boom box on the balcony is disturbing however I am intrigued by that Altec Lansing speaker. Can it be connected to a PC in anyway to play music/sound?

bucknaway
October 8th, 2012, 01:13
Yes, the jack can be plugged into a PC, Laptop, Ipad, Ipod or Iphone.
It will play loud enough with full bodied sound but not so loud that the neighbors will complain.

You would not use it at a party unless it is a relaxed party.

Here is the video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yW7kXrJRdyg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qY628M8T ... re=related (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qY628M8T2_E&feature=related)

francois
October 8th, 2012, 02:53
Merci Bucky! You sold me on that gadget. I did watch the video but could barely hear it on my mini-laptop so that speaker will be good for me and the bf.

bucknaway
October 8th, 2012, 06:25
Cool, I hope you like it as much as I like mine :)