PDA

View Full Version : Comparing Prices In Thailand

allieb
October 1st, 2012, 16:56
This was recently published in The Times (UK). Interesting that Thailand is now no longer one of the cheapest places to visit

Sri Lanka has emerged as the cheapest long-haul destination for the third year running (Hugh Sitton)

If youтАЩre looking for the worldтАЩs best-value winter sunshine, look no further than Sri Lanka, which has emerged as the cheapest long-haul holiday destination for the third year running. In a Post Office report, the cost of a typical тАЬbasketтАЭ of items, including a three-course meal for two with wine, suncream and bottled water, came out at ┬г43.85 in Sri Lanka. The next cheapest was Vietnam at ┬г52.37, followed by Bali at ┬г53.48. The Mexican resort of Cancun is the cheapest destination in the Americas and the Caribbean, at ┬г60.48. The cheapest city in America was Washington DC at ┬г75.52, followed by Orlando at ┬г76.54. New York came in at ┬г88.09 and LA at ┬г98.12. Researchers found that prices in Thailand, at ┬г70.69, had gone up by 17%, and in Malaysia, at ┬г90.63, by a staggering 40%. Neither, however, came close to the bottom three: Seoul, South Korea, at ┬г166.92, Darwin, Australia, at ┬г157.79 and Auckland, New Zealand, at ┬г144.32. The result for Bournemouth, by way of comparison, was ┬г94.53.

October 1st, 2012, 17:27
... a three-course meal for two with wine, suncream and bottled water, came out at ┬г43.85...]

Mouthwatering, but is the meat served with a suncream sauce - or do you apply the suncream after you've finished your soup?

Neal
October 1st, 2012, 17:33
Scottish Guy? You are a real idiot! The suncream goes in the bottom of the pan and the meat on top, similar to Osso Bucco. Geez!! Some people just don't know anything!
I've watched him make it. Old spoiled meat on top of suncream sauce. Deelish! :old:

October 1st, 2012, 17:38
I'll have you know that, thanks to Bucknaway, I can now produce a near-perfect boiled hamburger.

:occasion9:

jimnbkk
October 1st, 2012, 19:16
I must take exception to the OP report. Having just returned from a week in Cancun, Mexico, I can attest to the fact that it's an expensive place to visit. (at least for Cheap Charlies like me). And, I live in the Washington, D.C. area and it's equally Not Cheap. I don't know about most of the rest of the places on the post, but for these two, I question it's veracity.

ceejay
October 2nd, 2012, 00:31
The result for Bournemouth, by way of comparison, was ┬г94.53.
The recipe for Boeuf au Lait du Soleil comes from Bournemouth. They figured that as they would have f**k all else use for the suncream there, they might as well cook dinner in it.

bucknaway
October 2nd, 2012, 05:29
It's a rare thing to see a moderator and board owner spam a post on their own board! :sign5:

bucknaway
October 2nd, 2012, 05:39
Jimnbkk, I was thinking the same thing. DC is not cheap at all but you can find value if you search it out.
Lucky that I am not the type to throw money away. Wine and fine dining don't impress me and I don't enjoy it. I prefer to be in the crowd with the folks rubbing elbows and exchanging kind words with strangers who have the potential of becoming friends.

I'm not a big drinkger and I love to walk so I am able to get a great deal on a room in DC, walk to a hidden Chinese restaurant mostly visited by the locals, take my food back to the room where a combo is enough for 2 days of eating for me. Go to a dance bar, buy a drink or two, meet a guy for fun back at my room and drive home when my weekend comes to an end with it all only costing me gas, tolls, hotel and less than $30 for food and drinks from Friday night to Sunday morning.

Thailand is not much different for me. I am not a big spender when it comes to myself. I don't need much to make me happy and Thailand has a lot of free and cheap fun as long as I do my own thing and shy away from doing the things that most tourist do.

One thing surprises me... I wonder why Philadelphia or Atlanta was not listed? Both cities are far cheaper than DC.

bucknaway
October 3rd, 2012, 00:09
Wow! How was Scottish guy able to go back and insert a post about me in the middle of the thread? Do we all have that ability?

Neal
October 3rd, 2012, 01:00
Put the wine down Bucknaway,. The post by Scottish about you was there and always has been. Not even I have the ability to do what you are accusing him of doing! :drunken:

October 3rd, 2012, 01:31
That's twice in a week I've been accused of doing things I can't possibly do :sign5:

Fortunately, I have skin as tough as a rhinocerous.

Pity about the facial resemblance.

:crybaby:

joe552
October 3rd, 2012, 01:44
But are you as "horny", scotty? :occasion9:

bucknaway
October 3rd, 2012, 07:07
If you say so... Hey, I'm not going to make waves with the clique :wav:

Thai Dyed
October 3rd, 2012, 11:53
This price comparison in the original post is pure fiction. I just got back from a month long trip to Sri Lanka and it is EXPENSIVE. It's at least twice as expensive as Thailand and in the case of comparing Colombo to Bangkok, Colombo is THREE times more expensive than Bangkok, and you get no boys, and most of the hotels and guesthouses give you a big hassle about bringing a guest back even if you manage to find someone on the street or in a public place, unless he is obviously a business associate or at least looks like one. Even then you are watched like a hawk.

Also remember that ALL homosexual acts are illegal in Sri Lanka. Some fools will tell you that it's an old law that isn't enforced, but as recently as 1996 the law was expanded and made even more draconian by the Sri Lankan Parliament. Maybe you won't go to prison, even though the maximum sentence is ten years, but the mere existence of the law makes it possible for all the other nice things like blackmail and shakedowns.

Also, the standards in Thailand are far higher. The service is better and you get a LOT MORE for your money. Food is a real problem in Sri Lanka unless you have a cast iron stomach. Scams and petty theft are rampant.

There are a couple of "gay-friendly" guesthouses in Sri Lanka and they will warn you not to bring anyone back with you that you meet in public. On top of all this, there are NO gay bars, NO gay venues, NO gay meeting places and even talking about anything gay related is taboo in Sri Lanka.

If you don't believe me, go there and see for yourself. You'll come running back to Thailand.

springco
October 3rd, 2012, 13:28
Isn't The Times one of the papers that Rupert Murdoch owns? Only an idiot would believe a word of the information in the original post. Do your research guys!

I just found this thread on Trip Advisor today while browsing for some information on Sri Lanka. This confirms my own experience there 6 months ago and from a multitude of people. Never again will I visit Sri Lanka!!!
http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g2 ... Lanka.html (http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g293961-i8983-k4456331-Bali-Sri_Lanka.html)

Also note that the above thread was started last year before the prices in Sri Lanka really skyrocketed this year. The most recent post on it was today again confirming the high cost and bad quality you can expect in Sri Lanka.

Neal
October 3rd, 2012, 15:49
No we don't research. That's not our job. Our job is to moitor and watch for libelous comments, fighting, and keep things semi peaceful. The members make posts and other members comment and post other views and comments. We sit on the sidelines and referee. God I hope I never have to do all the research I would need a staff of about ten people!!

pong
October 3rd, 2012, 18:32
having studied statistics and having had to work with them for too long and too much to care for it, i always despise such sille comparisons; WHO-except for some BBC-UK or some silly newsppr fart, wants to drink WINE of all things in Sri Lanka? I guess the meal was also a standardised Wiener Snitzel?
Prices in MEX (well-when I was there-also many moons ago) differered an enormous lot betwen the tipical touristy places-Cancun certainly as topping that list-and normal MEXican places-which were quite cheap for local fare. Even in big cities like the DF (distrito Federal-which they use instead of MEXico for their capital-a bit like DC for Washington) this was very notable- a simple 3 course meal, daily offer could cost 3 times as much 1 mile onward-for the very same things in it.

springco
October 4th, 2012, 12:03
No we don't research. That's not our job.

The suggestion to "do your research" wasn't addressed to you. It was meant for any hapless fools considering a visit to Sri Lanka expecting to find a "bargain" destination.

Neal
October 4th, 2012, 13:56
I bow and ask your forgiveness. :sign5: :happy7:

cuteboy
October 5th, 2012, 19:26
As a regular traveller to Thailand who has been to Sri Lanka a few times, I can confirm the fact that Sri Lanka is cheaper.
I am really surprised that Thai Dyed had an issue with bringing someone to an hotel. Not once, ever, have I experienced that.
The law is as you say, but as you also say, not generally with any application. Yes, the fact that it is there could leave you in a shakedown situation. Thank God there is no similar situation in Thailand! Wait a minute, does this not happen quite a bit with the boys in blue? I myself have experienced it in Pattaya. Problem is prostitution is illegal, is it not?
Yes, no go-go bars, no obvious venues, but I know several people in Pattaya who travel there more than twice a year.
'Food is a real problem in Sri Lanka unless you have a cast iron stomach. Scams and petty theft are rampant.'
To the first part I say 'Not in my experience' , adding that the water in Sri Lanka is OK from the tap, which I do not drink, but it does mean no tummy issues with the water. (somewhat common in Thailand)
Scams and petty theft........the first is much commoner than the second. Thankfully Thailand is free of that! Every traveller should be aware, just as in Thailand. The biggest and most annoying scam in Sri Lanka is the commission racket. Find places by yourself and do not let your driver, if you have one, follow you.
So Thai Dyed gives Sri Lanka 2 out of 10, me, maybe 7. Its all down to the individual. But the place is culturally very different and there is more to see on a tour of the small country than Thailand offers. Worth a look!