PDA

View Full Version : Upmarket accomodations in Sunee or Day/Night area

anonone
September 27th, 2012, 18:49
Hey all. Making plans for the next visit at the end of November. Looking for accommodations (1 week) in the Sunee or Day/Night area, but something a bit more "up-market" than the 600 baht night guest houses. (I guess our recent stay at Ambiance now has spoiled us.)

Mosaic has no rooms available for our dates, which is a bummer as I was really wanting to try them out.

Would Don Plaza be a good alternative. I realize no elevator, which is a drawback. Has anyone stayed there and can advise on service levels (front desk, housekeeping, etc), speed of the wifi, review of the room standards (air conditioning, water, etc)? I read one semi-recent comment that the beds were pretty hard.

Or is there someplace else that someone can recommend. Again, keeping it to the Sunee or Day/Night area, and either exclusively gay...or Very gay friendly.

Thanks.

jolyjacktar
September 27th, 2012, 21:55
Hi
I know when i looked at a room in Don Plaza Hotel they looked ok to me but as you said them stairs are a real pain in the butt. The desk guys were ok and showed me about no problem. Aircon seemed ok but as i didnt stay and book in the end due to the horrible stairs i cant tell you what the air would be say after a few hours on.
Mate if i were you go back to Boyztown and book the Ambiance again as you said you were spoilt last time. Ok i think in November you will pay a little more in boyz town due to high season but maybe the managers will offer a discount.
Then you can always get a bike to take you to and from Sunnee in the evening.

anonone
September 27th, 2012, 22:51
Thanks jollyjacktar.

From the pictures at Don Plaza, the rooms look nice. Just no way to judge some of the items I was asking about, so hopefully someone who has stayed there will provide some info.

I really liked the Ambiance, and it is not the high season price that is preventing us from returning. There was a touristy / fish bowl type of feeling in Boyztown that I didn't enjoy very much. BF really felt it and has asked very plainly that we not stay in BT this trip. We like spending much more time in the Sunee area, so just seems to make sense to stay over that way.

We really like Day/Night area. Lots of market opportunity around Wat Cha, tutkum close by, BF has lots of friends in the area, easy walk to Sunee, and so on. Just struggling to find accommodations that are just a little more upscale. We have stayed at Baan Dak Mai quite a bit and it is OK. Air Conditioning sometimes struggles, rooms clean but pretty basic, and the biggest drawback is the noise from all the activity around Tutkom is pretty disturbing when in the room.

Never having stayed in Sunee proper, seems Don Plaza is the most upscale choice, so wondering just how nice it is.

newalaan
September 28th, 2012, 13:24
Mosaic has no rooms available for our dates, which is a bummer as I was really wanting to try them out.

Anonone, I would try Mosaik again. I don't know how you worded your email to them and who replied to you, but if you email them again for the attention of NONG at info@mosaikpattaya.net (it may well have been him who responded to you) ask him to advise ALL available rooms, because if you have specified a deluxe studio or 1 bed they might only reply with exactly those room types and there may be others available which may be of interest to you. I would ask for all available Deluxe and Prestige apartments Studio/1 bed and 2 bed just to see prices and if available. (the types of rooms there are- Standard (basic) deluxe (very nice) and prestige (very very nice!). We have stayed in the prestige 1 and 2 beds when the other options have not been available, but we had to ask again if there were ANY rooms available other than what we had asked for originally and the cost for a week.

They only have very few Deluxe 1 bed and deluxe/prestige studios, but i'm guessing there might be Prestige One beds available and they are MASSIVE apartments beautifully furnished with huge lounge, big bedroom, big bathroom, and seperate small kitchen room. I don't know the current rates for 1 week, but we paid Bt7,900 for one bed prestige a couple years ago, but that may have been outwith 'peak' times. I dont know your budget but even at about Bt10,000 for a week the prestige one beds are superb.

I have used Mosaik for years and they still never offer alternatives when replying if my room option is not available, I always have to email again to ask what IS available outwith my original enquiry. I think they are just too busy with emails and tend to respond to specific enquiries for room types (as is correct) but often have others available. I would advise you do not ask for, or take up an offer of Standard rooms, they are ok, but very basic and not as comfortable/luxurious as the other types (my opinion only!).

September 28th, 2012, 15:23
Anonone I 100% back up what Newalan has just said there and posted an almost indentical answer a few days ago myself on another thread as I had exactly the same experience with Nong ( the manager) answering my question about do you have a rom for me - where he said no - but that was in his head I always get the same grade of room and he didn't have that room so said no - where in reality after I checked again using different words it turns out he had exactly the same room except witha different colour of paint on the walls and that was enough apparently for him to say "not same so we not have" and he was amazed when I said the other room would be fine that I was prepared to "change rooms" lol- so definitely worth a double check perhaps on the phone.

anonone
September 28th, 2012, 16:23
Newalan / NIrish...

Thanks for the advice. It was Nong who emailed me with the "all rooms booked" response. In my original request, I did state I was interested in any studio or one bedroom. I have now replied and asked what rooms are available for my dates and that I am willing to consider all rooms. I will let you know how it pans out. I have wanted to try Mosaic for some time, so hopefully they have something available.

I am still hoping that someone chimes in with some review on Don Plaza. I like the idea of trying a stay actually in Sunee Plaza. I did check on TripAdvisor (which I rarely do) and almost all the reviews of Don Plaza are in German, so must be predominately Germans staying there. Mostly good reviews, but not much detail.

Keeping my fingers crossed that Mosaic works out....

anonone
September 28th, 2012, 17:25
Well, thanks for the excellent advice. I sent a follow up email, which was quickly answered by someone other than Nong, and I am now booked in a Deluxe Studio at Mosaic. Not sure if a room opened up due to a cancellation, or there was just a misunderstanding on the original request...but I am very happy it worked out. I would have actually preferred a one bedroom, but I guess they are all taken. Might have to book earlier next time. :bounce:

I may need a room for just one night later in the trip, so might try out Don Plaza then, just to check it out.

Thanks again for letting me in on the secret way of getting a room at Mosaic. :sign5:

September 28th, 2012, 19:13
Glad you got sorted - I'm sure you'll like it, they can rent you a motorbike as well if you need one and it's sitting there waiting for you when you check in which is handy and likewise when you leave as it saves you dealing with an outside company and there's no paper work involved etc as they do it all for you re the insurance etc.

I guess someone should mention this whole "rooms all booked ' thing to Nong sometime as thats three times now that he's nearly turned away (regular) customers without realising it, I wonder just how many times that happens every week and he's not even aware of it! :-(

TravellerDave
September 29th, 2012, 11:58
Any recent experience of Marina Inn Plaza ?. I,ve never stayed there before but I will perhaps give it a try for my next trip in 4 weeks. The reports on Tripadvisor are quite positive , but there is frequent mention of noise. On the other hand it has undergone renovation. Their room prices are rather on the low side. A gay hotel near Sunee with a pool would fit my bill I think.

anonone
September 30th, 2012, 04:22
Thanks for the tip on Motorbike rentals at Mosaik. They don't mention anything about that on their website (that I could see), and I will most likely want to get one for at least a couple days. I assume if I don't need it right away on arrival, I can make arrangements once I get there.

It also looks like I will need to find a second place to stay for a couple nights after we leave Mosaik and get back from a side trip. Thinking about trying out Don Plaza for a couple nights...or maybe trying out Flamingo Hotel. Only committing for a couple nights, so if it is not so nice at least we will not be there long.

So....Still looking for any feedback on Don Plaza if someone has stayed there. (I know there is another thread on Flamingo, but not much info on that one either.)

Where else is everyone staying in the Sunee / Day Night area? Am I missing a good option? :dontknow:

gaymandenmark
September 30th, 2012, 06:01
what can I say, I had a tour around Don Plaza, their room are nice and also sexy.
But I have never stayed there.

Manforallseasons
September 30th, 2012, 06:20
Certainly not up market.

lonelywombat
October 1st, 2012, 06:45
You might consider Yensabai Condo. The owner of Twofaces owns or rents a couple of condos and the restaurant closest to the gates of Yensabai also has a few available.

Yensabai Condo does have condos they rent out and if you only want a few days, then I would go to them direct.

Close to Don Plaza? You look down on the roof from the seaside condos and the pool is great.

Ask on here if you have interest for a future long term in mind.

Here is the official website. You should do better with renting from tenants

http://www.yensabaipattaya.com/

October 1st, 2012, 20:45
Is it a Condotel or a hospice?

From their website: "These advantages reflect the main reason why pensioners..choose Yen Sabai Condo as their final place."

:tongue3:

lonelywombat
October 2nd, 2012, 07:31
quoting from their website

These advantages reflect the main reason why pensioners, vacationers, and investors alike choose Yen Sabai Condo as their final place.

When you are buying a place as your final or just holiday destination, surely that is in most people's minds.

Maybe not if you are only a visitor.

Up2U
October 2nd, 2012, 09:40
There are no up-market accommodations in this area just like Boyztown (sorry, the Ambience is 3-star and that is being kind). A short distance from Sunee is the new Baan Suay or Rome Club which some could argue is up-market.

lonelywombat
October 2nd, 2012, 11:53
Up2U is talking of jumping to the 3000 baht per night which is not what the OP was asking.

YenSabai is still less than 1000 baht and like Mosaik it is not serviced. The pool is a bonus that Ambience does not have.

[attachment=0:18exwdmb]yensabai-pattaya2.jpg[/attachment:18exwdmb]

TravellerDave
October 2nd, 2012, 12:16
My requirement for a hotel in Pattaya isnt related to upmarket/downmarket or the number of stars that could be awarded (does Thailand have the star system ?).
I need a reasonably large room in good condition where all the facilities (aircon, water, toilet, tv) work efficiently. The bed needs to be large and confortable to accomodate occasionally 2 boys and me Of course cleanliness is important and the room needs to be reasonably quiet as I am a light sleeper.
I dont like paying for luxury features like uniformed staff opening the doors. Absence of a lift means good excercise climbing the stairs !.
In Pattaya I can meet these requirements for around 1200 baht per night. In Europe or USA you pay much more for the same.

Up2U
October 2nd, 2012, 15:22
One of my expectations if I go a "bit up-market" is a fast Internet connection. When you rent holiday condos be sure to check it out if this is important to you. Many Yensabai or Mosik condos do not have it.

anonone
October 2nd, 2012, 17:40
Some good comments. Thanks.

Up2U...I was using "upmarket" to differentiate over the 600 baht a night guesthouses. I am not necessarily looking for a "luxury" option, jut something a bit nicer. I did consider Rome, baan suay, and even Sansuk....but I really would like to stay in the Sunee / Day Night area. And I agree about the fast, reliable internet importance.

TravellerDave...I think we are actually on the same page, just maybe using different terms. Some of the less expensive guest houses (600-800 baht nightly) have AC which is not quite so strong, water pressure issues at time, bedding that is not very comfortable, etc. I have stayed in many of these places, but just now looking for something a bit more comfortable. Not necessarily 5 star or luxury. I thought the Ambiance fit the criteria very well, and by the way was just about 1200 baht nightly with their recent construction special. I just was looking for something similar in a different area of town.

Up2U
October 2nd, 2012, 18:03
Understood. Yensabai should meet your needs and it still "upmarket" especially when compared to the Ambience. The lobby and lifts have been recently upgraded but the hallways are still shabby. Consider http://www.pattayarentaroom.com/ . Prices have gone up since I stayed there. InterNet may be an issue as I found the internet service provided by the condo office very slow.

October 2nd, 2012, 18:35
One of my expectations if I go a "bit up-market" is a fast Internet connection.......... Mosik condos do not have it.

I found Mosaik's connection / speeds to be fine and I used it a lot. One tip though - on checking in they have different passwords for different floors / buildings etc and if checking in outside of normal office hours it's the security guy who gives you the password out of the book kept in the main office, so once I'd put mine into my device ( which you can't check works until you get back to your room of course) it didn't work and I had to go all the way down again to him, where he checked again and gave me a different password - which again on going back to my room also didn't work - cut a long story short after doing that trip a few times it turned out the first password he had given me was correct but sometimes their router ( like all routers it seems) just falls over and just like a router at home needs the power cable pulled out for a second to allow it to reboot, so as I'd noticed out that the routers are kept on a shelf in the main public hallways on each floor ( god knows why) and the quickest way of fixing the issue as the guard hasn't a clue and was happy for me to do this was simply is to grab a chair from your room, nip out into the hall to the router, pull the power cable and re insert again a few seconds later and that's you ( and the whole floor) connected again. Unfortunately it took me several trips up and down to him before we both worked this trick out and he is more than happy that you work away and do this as a) he's no idea about computers and b) it as it's one less hassle for him from the tenants and as I had to only do it twice over 10 days it was no big deal - but the speed, once all up and running I found to be fine.

October 3rd, 2012, 00:41
When i go on holiday i leave my computer at home and just use the hotel's in reception or any of the local internet cafe's
The one in Mosaik's office is fine for me....
at home i use it more than enough so one of the things about an holiday is doing different things from my routine back home...

October 3rd, 2012, 02:59
@ travellerdave - re your room search ( and apologises if I've missed where you've said you've already tried ) but HAVE you tried Mosaik as from your requirements I think it fits perfectly and it's "serviced" in as much as the housekeeps will come in and cleam the room, change the bed and towels and generally tidy up etc just little or as often as you require it, wether that be twice a day or twice a month ! ( for the sake of the bedding and towels lets assume not the monthly clean lol) but the rooms are large and modern, the bed is big enough for three ( at least :-), there's a lift and it's all fairly central and all for roughly 1000 - 1200 baht or so "all in" - so if you haven't checked I would recommend them and suggest they might be worth a try - oh and as discussed elsewhere if they tell you sorry no rooms ask them have they ANY rooms as there seems to be an ongoing confusion there with them of late.

joe552
October 3rd, 2012, 03:16
"but the rooms are large and modern, the bed is big enough for three ( at least :-)"

still dreaming of your 3some, NIrishGuy? :occasion9:

October 3rd, 2012, 03:56
the joys of pattaya - where dreams become reality :)

joe552
October 3rd, 2012, 04:10
if the price is right :sign5:

October 3rd, 2012, 04:45
When I'm on holiday in Pattaya I think the boys must think Im the new Bruce Forsyth as if they are cute and do it for me somehow "the price IS right" and Im always heard to "shout come on down" to get them off the stage and down sitting next to me to discuss a bit of good old "blankety blank" ! Lol

fedssocr
October 3rd, 2012, 06:34
It's really not that far of a walk from Sunee/Day-Night area to Boyztown and nearby area unless you have mobility issues. So you could just stay at Ambiance. I have stayed at Aya Pattaya (and it's former iteration as Fraser Pattaya Resort) which is an OK place. This year I am staying at the Dusit d2 again but if you don't want to pay "luxury" prices that might be too much for you. I think the walk from there to Sunee is about 15 minutes or so. At night the walk is not bad. And I like being in that part of town for daytime shopping and wandering around. I am not much of a beach person so distance to Jomtien is not a problem for me.

TravellerDave
October 3rd, 2012, 14:37
Fedsscor
Yes hardly any distance at all Sunee to BT and I have walked it many times. For some reason however I dont like waliking with a boy. They seem reluctant and want to take a motor bike and dawdle or stop to chat to friends or look at stalls suggesting I buy something. I have stayed in Sunee before and have got lost walking back on my own to Baan Dok Mai.
I think I will not make a reservation, get to Pattaya, park my bag and check out the various accomodations that have been suggested. Mosaik sounds good. Don Plaza, Yensabai, Marina Inn. Maybe even go back to Samsuk !. Nice quandary to have -I , m looking forward to it.

Dani69
October 12th, 2012, 17:37
I have stayed in Don Plaza and found it good value for money and good location and has the added bonus of no shower screen in the bathroom so you can view the boy showering ..hehe
Im back in 13 days but off to Mosaic prestige suite at back of main building by far the best I know of in the area. :party

TravellerDave
October 12th, 2012, 21:12
Hi Dani
Im thinking of staying at the Don Plaza. Perhaps you can help me with a little information.
Is it noisy at night ? Perhaps some rooms are better.
Did you reserve in advance or just walk in ? How much did you pay ?
Would you say Don Plaza would be a better choice than Marina Inn ?
Thanks in advance. Dave

Dani69
October 12th, 2012, 22:20
If I remember correctly ( it was 2 and a bit years ago) I paid 1000 baht per night - and yes some nights it was a bit noisy - coming from their outside bar or in the lobby bar late night with guests.
I cant compare to The Marina Inn as I have never stayed there.
But overall it is not a bad choice if you like Sunee Plaza - but during the day the area is not very nice.
I booked it online http://don-plaza-pattaya.com/dpen/index.php and they answered the following day.
You can also pay with debit/credit card which you can not do at Mosaic .
Overall my opinion 7/10
Hope this was of help.

TravellerDave
October 13th, 2012, 00:42
Thanks Dani

anonone
October 13th, 2012, 09:20
Dani.
Thanks from me as well for your information on Don Plaza.

Still trying to sort out the options for the last part of a stay, and Don Plaza seems a likely choice.

Alex303
October 13th, 2012, 15:12
If your thinking about Sansuk please bear in mind whilst its still a great place to stay...there's currently some building work going on there where they're building an extension to the Sauna, if your a light sleeper then after 9am in the morning you do get some noise from the on-going works. BUT its not outrageously loud by any means..i was there for a couple of weeks very recently and still enjoyed my stay.

Fedsscor
Yes hardly any distance at all Sunee to BT and I have walked it many times. For some reason however I dont like waliking with a boy. They seem reluctant and want to take a motor bike and dawdle or stop to chat to friends or look at stalls suggesting I buy something. I have stayed in Sunee before and have got lost walking back on my own to Baan Dok Mai.
I think I will not make a reservation, get to Pattaya, park my bag and check out the various accomodations that have been suggested. Mosaik sounds good. Don Plaza, Yensabai, Marina Inn. Maybe even go back to Samsuk !. Nice quandary to have -I , m looking forward to it.

TravellerDave
October 13th, 2012, 21:46
Thanks Alex. Yes I noticed the building work when I visited Samsuk in July. Someone told me that its for the addition of budget accommodation.
I,m gravitating towards staying initially at the Don Plaza. All the reports are positive although I was slightly surprised at the charge of 1400 baht for the cheaper rooms, as per their website. Still its getting more towards high season now.

October 14th, 2012, 00:20
I've not stayed at Don Plaza - but I have gone inside and enquired about staying.

The message I got was that the rates are up for negotiation - so worth having a conversation with them.

:hello2:

Alex303
October 14th, 2012, 01:25
Dave i believe there's 2 parts to the building work at Sansuk...there's the large building (possibly the budget accomodation) around the back of the current guesthouse...plus another smaller 3 storey extension building over the back of the pool in the sauna that will extend the current sauna facilities...should be good when its all done. Look forward to hearing your feedback on the Don Plaza hotel...looks nice & a good location! My room rate at Sansuk was supposed to go up from the low season to the high season rate for the last few days of my stay (october) but i politely pointed out i'd been there the best part of 2 weeks & the guesthouse was only 60% full at the time.

joe552
October 14th, 2012, 02:12
I checked the rates at Don Plaza for my probable dates next June (low season) and the minimum is 1400Bt. Seems a bit much to me, so I'll probably go back to Mosaik again.