PDA

View Full Version : Thai Air Asia

fountainhall
May 25th, 2006, 19:19
Was in Chiang Mai last week-end and both my Thai Air Asia flights were cancelled. So after only 4 TAA flights, I have had 3 cancellations resulting in delays of between 1 and 12 hours! I realise I may just have been unlucky, but it is obvious the airline is merging off-peak flights if they don't have at least half the seats sold.

Surfcrest
May 25th, 2006, 20:16
If you are a penny pincher, you may love Thai Air Asia.

The flights generally leave on time, reservations are easy online and the prices are very competitive.

The luggage resrictions and in flight service sucks. Eat before you fly or expect to pay inflated prices for their very limited selections. They don't sell alcohol on their flights and they cram you in good and tight. It's essentially a bus with wings. No first class / business class, only economy.

I'm used to Cathay so it's a long, long elevator downward if I were to compare the two. For a little more, I'll fly with the competition next time, be that TAA or anyone but Air Asia.

Surfcrest

SteveSF-old
May 25th, 2006, 22:08
...or at least pay dearly for what you get. I can not recommend strongly enough to avoid Air Asia. My experience has been that they have no care for their customers whatsoever. They will lie to you for hours when they know the real reason for delaying flights by 6 hours or more. In my case, I was meeting a friend in KL, and instead of arriving in the late afternoon, did not get there until midnight. All that time, the airline knew that they had to repair a hydraulic failure on the plane, but withheld that information from the passengers, lest they demand to change flights or request other compensation. I personally felt like I was being held hostage.
My return flight was only 1 hour late, leaving me scant time to make my Nok Air connection to Chiang Mai. Nok Air was efficient and polite, just the opposite of Air Asia. I would not hesitate to take Nok Air in the future.
As for Air Asia, NEVER AGAIN!

May 25th, 2006, 22:19
Steve, ALL airlines do that. It's nothing unique to Air Asia. Don't get me started on United and Northwest...

American Teacher-old
May 25th, 2006, 22:23
I actually really like Thai Air Asia. Ok, so it is budget everything -- and the luggage limit really bites (pack light!), but the price can't be beat. I have used them 8 times in the last year and a half and all flights have been ontime with very little wait at the check-in counter.

True -- you get what you pay for, but if you're not prepared to pay Thai Air's inflated prices, this is a good option.

Fondly,
Chris

www.niddysnook.com (http://www.niddysnook.com)

May 25th, 2006, 22:39
My experiences with Thai Air Asia so far have also been 100% positive. Easy to book and pay for the ticket; it's all electronic with no ticket to lose. I actually like the open seating concept. I just take the first open seat, and so far have always been within the first five rows even though I'm not one to rush to the gate when they announce boarding. The seats are leatherette, and no smaller or more uncomfortable than any other airlines' seats. I couldn't care less about not being fed, as airline food (even on SQ et al) is hardly worth eating. Most of the routes are short, anyway, and I'm quite able to go an hour or two without cramming something in my face. The staff I've encountered have all been perky and looked to be enjoying their jobs.

What else do you want from an airline? Little hot towels, a shitty meal, and stale episodes of Friends are hardly worth doubling the cost of one's one or two hour flight -- at least not in my opinion.

SteveSF-old
May 25th, 2006, 22:43
I disagree with the statement that all airlines lie to their customers. I have suffered long delays with US carriers in the past, but at least as soon as the gate staff knew something, they passed it along. I think that we all understand that in these days of budget airlines and high fuel costs, we can not expect the same level of service as in days gone by. I do think that honesty, and giving the customer the choice as to whether to continue to wait, or try again another time is something that will be rewarded in the long run. (I know, the long run is not something normally given consideration in Thailand).
Air Asia inspires a strong love them or hate them response in the various people I know. Some love the low fares, and don't mind the occasional inconvenience (or connivance), whereas others (like myself) hate them for their crappy service, frequent inability to hold to a schedule, and general lack of consideration.
As they say in Thailand, it's up to you.

May 25th, 2006, 23:05
... or is it Air Asia. Ive travelled Air Asia, for quickie flights, but not Thai Air Asia, I suspect they are the same airline. Is this right?

American Teacher-old
May 25th, 2006, 23:09
Yes, it is all the same airline -- they just have specific country-tailored offices. If you go to the website, you'll see how it's divided.

Fondly,
Chris

fountainhall
May 25th, 2006, 23:21
To be fair, I found the flight attendants to be smart, smiling and attentive. Sure there's no service, but I am perfectly happy with that for the price paid. And sure, it's not Cathay Pacific which I also fly a lot, but then Cathay does not fly most of these routes! My one complaint is the seemingly regular merging of flights for non-technical reasons with very short notice to passengers. In future I will never take Air Asia if I have an international connection at destination.

May 25th, 2006, 23:29
I'm concerned about AirAsia's luggage weight limit. I will be connecting directly from my overseas flight next month to an AirAsia flight to Phuket. I'm sure my luggage will weigh more than the 33lb pound luggage allowance! I do remember taking my heavier luggage on a flight to Chiang Mai and not being stopped. My BF says its because I am Farang and they won't hassle me compared to how they would treat a thai customer. I wonder if there is any truth in that.

May 25th, 2006, 23:45
I wouldn't count on it.

May 26th, 2006, 00:14
I'm sure my luggage will weigh more than the 33lb pound luggage allowance!In which suitcase will you be transporting the kitchen sink?

May 26th, 2006, 02:41
I take it you think 33lbs is plenty? your average 21" piece of luggage probably weighs at least 10 pounds alone. So that leaves you 23 pounds. YOU think thats plenty for a 3 week visit? Hell, the BFs supply of new Calvin Klein Underwear is most likely 5 pounds already LOL

cottmann
May 26th, 2006, 08:58
Steve, ALL airlines do that. It's nothing unique to Air Asia. Don't get me started on United and Northwest...

Or Qantas or .....

May 26th, 2006, 09:19
I have flown Air Asia only one time and it was a positive experience. It was from Bangkok to Cambodian capitol. A quick flight and for a very reasonable price---$43 US round trip. It is a no frills airline, similar to Southwest Airlines in the US. Hope they keep flying.

wowpow
May 26th, 2006, 10:06
I am a fan of Air Asia and budget airlines generally. I have used them many times at rates varying from bargains to ludicrously cheap promotions. Chiang Mai, Phulet and Singapore. I have not ahd any untaward delays though these happen with all airlines and I suspect with budget ones more as they keep those planes very busy. The only flight cancellations that I have expereinced on the Chiang Mai Bangkok route were by Thai - a full service airline.

The baggage limit can be a worry but you can load up on the cabin baggage. I have been known to have a friend hold a bag while I check in and then never had a problem bording with two bags - hell I have been know to put one in left luggage while I check in. To be honest the weight is not that bad and the excess baggage charges are almost nominal at about 100 baht a kilo unlike International flights from the UK where I have paid - with the utmost reluctance - Bt 2520 a kilo though they did not charge me the full weight that I was over - 27 kilos!!! I was told only yesterday about some Neapulese who fly to Singapore for shopping. They take a dozen youths with light luggage so that they can import loads of stuff when returning - well that was their story!

At 6'3" I like a bit of space but am happy to squeeze into Air Asia's black leather seats as the flights are not long. The Catering is minimal just, very reasonably priced, sandwiches (bt50) and soft drinks (bt30) and snacks but again I have only travelled short hops and if going longer I would take my own food.

Am I the only one who finds comments like "I'm used to Cathay so it's a long, long elevator downward" very unattractive and surprising from that nice Mr. Surfcrest.

May 26th, 2006, 10:20
(good review deleted)
Am I the only one who finds comments like "I'm used to Cathay so it's a long, long elevator downward" very unattractive and surprising from that nice Mr. Surfcrest.

Great review TeePee -- I just wish we had Air Asia flying regular flights to Hong Kong!

As for Cathay, I am suprised to hear such a comment, as they have gone way downhill in terms of overall quality this last year. In addition to 3-4 business flights per month, I also fly Cathay to Bangkok every other weekend (I'm fond of Pattaya). They are back to the same levels of surliness that they inflicted upon us Hong Kong-ers before 2001 (the last time the economy was good). While there are a few other airlines flying the Thailand corridor, none offer a good schedule for both departure and return flight. The service these past 5 months has been so bad that I have stopped flying business class with Cathay (except for the long flights) -- thinking that if I am going to get economy class service I should be paying an economy class price!

May 26th, 2006, 13:37
... you get what you pay for but you also need a slice of luck.

I have travelled with Thai Airways, Thai Air Asia, Malaysian, China Airways and Bangkok Air in this region. Air Asia was the cheapest but also the easiest to book with (website very good) if you want to avoid agent fees. I have suffered a few delays with them but the worst delay came with Bangkok Air, who I thought were expensive. I have also spent two hours circling with Thai Airways over the coast and around Bangkok whilst they tried to find a landing spot - there is truly nothing worse than looking at your seat monitor and seeing in one minute you are 5 minutes from your destination and then spotting that the plane has headed back out to sea and is now 20 minutes or so from landing.

As for luggage - I always have excess. Sometimes Air Asia charge extra, sometimes they don't - I have no explanation as to why.

May 26th, 2006, 16:12
Out of about 8 trips I have made with Air Asia, none have been delayed.

I really like the airline as the staff is always friendly, the seats IMO are very comfortable, and the prices can't be beat. The longer lead time you have for booking, the less expensive the flight.

There are times when I can pay 3,000 bt less for a one way ticket from BKK to Phuket on AA than I can on Thai Airlines. For a 75 minute flight, that is a very significant savings.

I always look to AA first for short flights within Asia.

Pete

Surfcrest
May 27th, 2006, 10:18
As for Cathay, I am suprised to hear such a comment, as they have gone way downhill in terms of overall quality this last year. In addition to 3-4 business flights per month, I also fly Cathay to Bangkok every other weekend (I'm fond of Pattaya). They are back to the same levels of surliness that they inflicted upon us Hong Kong-ers before 2001 (the last time the economy was good). While there are a few other airlines flying the Thailand corridor, none offer a good schedule for both departure and return flight. The service these past 5 months has been so bad that I have stopped flying business class with Cathay (except for the long flights) -- thinking that if I am going to get economy class service I should be paying an economy class price!

I don't want to start anything, but I too fly frequently between Bangkok and Hong Kong and only on Cathay Pacific. I fly with them on long hauls as well, over many years. I absolutly love them, including several of the flight attendants I am lucky to see both in HK, BKK and home in YVR.

My general observation is that the HK shoppers flying between BKK and Hong Kong are poorly behaved. It's as though the rules don't apply, especially to the big shoppers that haul several bags of loose carry on into the cabin. I always bring a small bag on board and usually have to keep it on the floor because the overhead is full with HK shopping spree bags.
Point two, they insist on going through their crap after being told repeatedly to either store the crap above or on the floor..... and this while we taxi down the runway. They are up on their feet hauling their crap up off the floor and down from the overhead bins while we are still in motion towards the terminal. They get held up at security because they insist in bringing sharp objects in their carry on, holding up the flight.

Shall I go on?
If you know a HK flight attendant, ask one about the BKK to HK shoppers and the nightmare they go through with them and you'll kow why what you say is pretty much true. This from HK flight attendants.

Sorry, but its true (thankfully it doesn't apply to all..but enough)

Surfcrest

May 27th, 2006, 10:32
I always bring a small bag on board and usually have to keep it on the floor because the overhead is full with HK shopping spree bagsGood God, Surfcrest, don't you listen to the boarding announcements? I believe even CX have one that goes along the lines of "We'll be pre-boarding families with small children and any passenger who may need a little extra time". By that stage you should have already made yourself known to the gate staff, muttered about the old war wound, arthritis of the pelvis, congenital dandruff or something so embarassing they dare not turn you away, and asked for pre-boarding. Mind you, if you've also asked for and got an Exit Row, all bets are off. Queueing up to board an aeroplane is for the little people

catawampuscat
May 27th, 2006, 11:08
I thought it would be a good idea to fly to Hat Yai in the south and make a border crossing nearby for a visa run..My regular had never
flown before and the tickets were cheap (around 1000 one way) so I booked us and prepaid the hotel in Hat Yai... As the day approached, I got an SMS from Air Asia that the flight was cancelled..
As it was the last flight of the day, they offered me a next day ticket which didn't work..They said
they would refund my money and when I asked for a refund of the return tickets from Hat Yai to BKK (bought as one way tickets) they said no, because the
return flight was not cancelled..I explained I could not make the trip because of the cancelled flight but it took a long time with the
stupidvisor to get them to understand and they finally said that I would get a full refund..

The next credit card bill showed 5 one way tickets bought and none credited..They double charged me for one ticket..I called again and wasted an
hour and was very frustrated..Customer service sucks big time :cat: and finally I got credited for the duplicate charge..I had to fax copies of
everything to them and wait another month for my next credit card bill.. This time the first two outgoing tickets got charged back but I was still
out the cost of two return tickets and another hour and more faxes and the next month one more flight was charged back..I gave up at this point but was cheated out of about 1000B. and also lost money on the hotel cancellation (500B. as I recall)..

I was so frustrated that I will never use this airline again.. It isn't cheap in the long run and I think they are a nightmare and should be avoided..
My mistake was not notifing my credit card to stop payment immediately ......

May 27th, 2006, 11:24
My mistake was not notifing my credit card to stop payment immediately ......Indeed it was

Surfcrest
May 27th, 2006, 13:07
Good God, Surfcrest, don't you listen to the boarding announcements? I believe even CX have one that goes along the lines of "We'll be pre-boarding families with small children and any passenger who may need a little extra time". By that stage you should have already made yourself known to the gate staff, muttered about the old war wound, arthritis of the pelvis, congenital dandruff or something so embarassing they dare not turn you away, and asked for pre-boarding. Mind you, if you've also asked for and got an Exit Row, all bets are off. Queueing up to board an aeroplane is for the little people

Okay, next point.

We are travelling to Vietnam.
One of my travelling companions recently had surgery and as a large / tall man was allowed to board first in Air Asia's "free-for-all" (Every man for himself boarding process).
Another companion injured himself on a baht bus in Pattaya and so here we were with two wheel chairs carting two rather tall men.
As the first two in the plane, they requested to sit in the first row at is was the only row with ample leg room for their long legs which were also injured.
Well.... Air Asia told them "no"...no one could sit in the front row because they wanted to balance the weight of the plane.
I'm no aeronautic engineer, but you don't need to be to smell the b.s.
After we board, they allow their own staff riding free to sit in the same row these men wer denied.
So I ask, if balancing the weight is an issue, shouldn't they have reserve seating to balance it properly. If flight attendants are balancing the load, should that make the passengers feel safe?
Next, one of my friends (and fellow Sawatdee Member) was flying through Vietnam on his way to Thailand. Obviously he had enough luggage for both portions of his extended holiday, both in Vietnam and Thailand.
Ding, there goes the overweight luggage fee.
So did we save anything?
Don't forget, they charge for the broken wheelchairs my injured friends required in boarding.
No.

As I said before, the on line booking was great and our flights were on schedule.
Having flown in S.E. Asia on several other carriers , this one is surely at the bottom and we never had the problems other members here have pointed out.
Air Asia / Thai Air Asia / Malaysia Air Asia.
How many different names do you need?

Give them a year, before they are gone.
They are already in my books.

Surfcrest

On the bright side, Bangkok Air (I love them).
Their sister carrier Siem Reap Airlines needs some work, but Bangkok Air is impressive.

May 27th, 2006, 15:39
Surfcrest "On the bright side, Bangkok Air (I love them).
Their sister carrier Siem Reap Airlines needs some work, but Bangkok Air is impressive."

Talking of which, I have travellled between Phuket and Pattaya a few times with Bangkok Air but was a little daunted one time when I boarded a Siem Reap Airlines plane (I booked with Bangkok Air) - it was a tiny little thing and looked like it had survived the great war!

Bangkok Air do, I believe, take advantage of their ownership of the sole route between Pattaya and Phuket/Samui and charge a little over the top. Also the worst delay I encountered (four hours) was at Pattaya Utapo (where there is nothing to do except browse the tiny gift shop alongside the huge crowds of Russians waiting to board flights home). After 2 hours of being told we should be boarding soon, they announced that our plane had just left Phuket and would be with us shortly! As I said, it's all in the luck of the draw.

billyhouston
May 28th, 2006, 04:50
I'm not a great fan of Bangkok Airways who I have used either to or from Yangon. On one occasion they attempted to remove me from my seat in the aircraft at Don Muang because I had only a one-way ticket (with extensive paperwork for an overland exit). On another occasion flying from Yangon their arrangements at Mingaladon were chaotic and the price they charged for the one way was excessive and far greater than BKK-RGN. Their flights down to Samui are grossly overpriced so instead I use One2Go to Surat Thani and go by ferry from there.

Air Asia are cheap and the only thing against them is their lack of pre-boarding seat allocation. Flights have generally been on time, staff pleasant. Arriving a Chiang Rai one afternoon their staff were waiting for me to tell me that there was a three hour delay and they had been unable to contact me. When I explained that I had just driven down from Kyaingtong, Myanmar and was going to a meeting in Bangkok that I would miss, the staff immediately went to the Thai Airways counter and bought a ticket to Bangkok. This ticket cost many times what I had paid Air Asia and was, I felt, service above and beyond what I could reasonably expect from a no-frills airline.

Nok Air is great, especially Nok Plus. Pity the website is slow and they will sometimes not accept international credit cards. Seat allocation available immediately upon ticket purchase and, in my experience at least, flights generally on time.

YMMV

May 28th, 2006, 19:41
My only Air Asia filight was a recent return trip to C/Mai:

BKK-CNX: aborted take-off! - half way through take-off everything just cuts out and we rolled down the runway like a toy, until we come to a complete halt. "No problem" announces the Captain "I've re-started the computer."

CNX-BKK: flight cancelled! Luckily I had checked my email the day before so we were able to take an earlier flight - otherwise it would have been back to the hotel to check back in.

We sat in the same seats both ways and my guy mentioned: "This is the same plane, that chewing gum (one the back of the seat in front) is still there (from the filght three days earlier)."

fountainhall
May 29th, 2006, 10:24
Should I be surprised? It's happened again - 3rd time in 12 days. Just received sms advising flight tomorrow CNX/BKK "retimed" (ThaiAirAsia-speak for 'flights merged due to low load factors') with delay of more than 2 hours. Such retiming is clearly airline policy - and stuff the passengers, many of whom booked months ago.

fountainhall
June 11th, 2006, 12:02
. . . and again and again and again! Just been informed the mid-pm flight to Udon Thani on Wednesday cancelled allegedly due to VIP visitor movements. No comment about all the departing VIPs, but it's surely no coincidence that once again it's an off-peak flight which is cancelled - the am and evening flights are operating normally. That makes 5 out of 7 Air Asia reservations cancelled. I wonder how many other airlines can boast that sort of record.

June 11th, 2006, 12:53
Used air asia once - very pleasant experience! Never had a flight cancelled and only had my luggage "lost" once in many years flying.
It was with EVA air and i didnt mind at all as they paid me ┬г50 per day until it turned up in BKK. I wish it had taken longer as i had all my valuables in my hand luggage and my suitcase was almost empty ( i fill up before return). Still - ┬г150 was a nice bonus - they even sent it by taxi to my hotel when it arrived.