PDA

View Full Version : Do Pattaya business establishments watch their Skype at all?

RonanTheBarbarian
September 22nd, 2012, 18:40
A bit of a whinge...I have been trying to contact two Pattaya guesthouses today.

One of them because they didn't reply to my email of three days ago!

I was looking at the Contact options. As i am in Ireland I preferred not to phone them, but then I saw they had Skype. Fine I thought, I can make a free Skype to Skype call. But the Skype call failed...because they are "offline", according to Skype.

Fed up with that, went to the website of another place. They had Skype too, but like the first place they were "offline".

Now I know they wont be online all the time, but these call were attempted before 6 pm Pattaya time, when the receptions should be open. Why bother having Skype at all I wonder if you dont keep it open.

Is that what i should expect is the norm...Pattaya business have a Skype link on their contact pages for decorative purposes only?

Marsilius
September 22nd, 2012, 19:02
After almost twenty years of visiting Pattaya, the impression I get is that many businesses - especially in the gay sector - are operated either as "hobbies" or as vanity projects by older farang retirees.

I am no longer surprised, therefore, by the apparent inability of many of them to run a piss-up in a brewery or, indeed, by their propensity to run their enterprises quickly into the ground.

Of course, as a friend of mine who works in international finance has confirmed, many other southeast Asian "businesses" are, in fact, simply money-laundering operations and their owners just don't care if they make money or not. Hence the lackadaisical approach to running their day to day operations.

RonanTheBarbarian
September 22nd, 2012, 19:22
I understand that, but seeing as these business usually have receptions where there is a bored receptionist on facebook all day you would think they could answer a Skype call.

I got "offline" for both, that indicated to me that they had not logged in to it at all that day.

If it had "rung out" i would have been less annoyed, as i would have assumed they were busy with a crowd of people checking in or something.

But to not log-in in the first place...that is what made me think the Skype link was a website decoration they probably never logged in to after the first week!

gaymandenmark
September 22nd, 2012, 19:50
I would never expect the Skype to be open, unles it is connected to a phone.
Just put a small amount of money into you Skype account, and you can cheaply call phones all over the world.

davidsobe
September 24th, 2012, 10:11
I have Skype connected to my computer. I have set Skype so that as soon as my computer is turned on, my (1) email, (2) Yahoo, (3) Safari, and (4) Skype are automatically turned on at the same time. Anyone can do this. That way, one does not have to "remember" to activate Skype. ALL businesses should do this. It's nice to be able to talk with a buddy, while seeing him on your computer screen. And,,,,,,,,, you can show off any "guest" you might have with you!

gaymandenmark
September 24th, 2012, 20:32
I have also Skype on my computer, but I am different than you davidsobe, I found out that because I am so popular :laughing3: , I was always disturbed when I turned on my computer to work or surf, so now my Skype is inactive by default. My Messenger is also inactive by default.

egel
September 25th, 2012, 01:32
If they dont answer emails or Skype then I wouldnt want to stay there.
I would wonder what sort of service I would get.
Go elsewhere.