PDA

View Full Version : Songkran 2013

anonone
September 22nd, 2012, 09:25
OK, I think 2013 is the year I will have my first Songkran experience. I would like to get some plans made to visit for Songkran, but want to confirm when would be the best days to be there.

I recall that Pattaya has some different celebration dates compared to traditional Songkran...or something like that.

An internet search indicates that Songkran is April 13-15, 2013. (Saturday to Monday)

Assuming I can stay for only one week, when would be the right time to be in Pattaya for the full Songkran experience? And perhaps a day or two of sanity either before or after, in case I hate it? :tongue3:

Thoughts / Opinions / Recommendations ?

September 22nd, 2012, 09:38
Thanks for reminding me to book my trip I usually go at Easter but sometimes that runs into songkran which I avoid like the plague I looked up the dates for Easter next year and its at the end of march good thing too

colmx
September 22nd, 2012, 09:42
Big days in pattaya are 18-19

I suggest you come 15-22
That way you get the tail end of normal songkran and the build up/finish of the (mad) pattaya songkran but have enough days at the end in case you hate it!

Nobody but oscar the grouch and his buddies hate songkran!
:party :party :party

For all you songkran haters..... its 7 months away get out and stop moaning!!!

anonone
September 23rd, 2012, 08:40
Hey colmx. thanks for the info. Exactly what I needed to know.

I am hyped to experience it. BF wants to be in Pattaya for it....Says it is much more fun than being in his home town.

Do I need to be worried about booking hotel far in advance? Not sure if they fill up quickly, etc.

September 23rd, 2012, 09:08
Hi,i hope this INFORMATION about Sngkran will be Helpful to everyone :
When is Songkran 2013?
Songkran 2013 will be held from 13 to 15 April in Thailand, National Holidays will range from 13 to 17 April 2013. :party :party
Why?
To cool down
April is generally a hot month in Thailand, because it signifies the countryтАЩs summer season. During the Songkran Festival 2013, you can immerse in a тАЬcomplementary bath,тАЭ and you too, can give others a bath! Your kids will enjoy splashing other people with their water guns (rather than they use it on you.) You too, can have your take on the juvenile water gun!
To join the wet fun
The Songkran Festival 2013 will last for 3 days, from April 13-15. But in Thailand, the employees and students are given almost a week off. This means you get to meet more people and explore other aspects of the culture, although the work pause might have setbacks for those want to roam the malls for loot. :occasion9:

If youтАЩre an expat in Thailand, the Songkran Festival 2013 means one thing: you donтАЩt have to work for the duration of the festival! :nud:
There are a lot of Hotels in Pattaya therefore don't worry you find a Room.

Neal
September 23rd, 2012, 09:25
The only problem with the post above is that those dates are not the same inpattaya and other outlying towns. Check the area before counting on those dates.

colmx
September 23rd, 2012, 22:45
Do I need to be worried about booking hotel far in advance? Not sure if they fill up quickly, etc.

No problems with accomodation... Especially as there is no easter overlap this year...
Most of the expats will desert pattaya.... And leave loads of boys and their visiting friends to enjoy the wter play!

anonone
September 23rd, 2012, 22:49
Awesome....just keeps getting better and better.

Thanks again.

Halfhansum
September 24th, 2012, 02:15
Awesome....just keeps getting better and better.

You mean wetter and wetter ...lol
Its very refreshing till you get a bucket of "iced" water full on.., or a water cannon in your ear-hole .
( and keep off the baht buses 555 )

anonone
September 24th, 2012, 07:22
Hopefully I will find it all good fun. If not, at least I will have experienced it.

I am sure I will have more questions as it gets closer....you know, how to prepare, what to bring, best spots to hang out, and all that stuff.

For now, just needed to make the travel plans to ensure I hit at the right time.

Till then, I remain dry and optimistic.

Neal
September 24th, 2012, 07:55
Anonone, buy the biggest and best water machine gun with spare tank and huge range in the states and bring it in your checked bag. I always did! :evil4:

September 24th, 2012, 18:05
Size Queen !!!! :-) Anonone there are lots of refill points dotted everywhere so whilst I can totally understand the American worry that their might be smaller and run out of juice faster than anyone else's I can assure you that one of the decent priced 500 baht guns should more that cover your needs without you having to "import" your preferred armament of choice :-)

You'll have to blast ( literally), I went first time last year and loved it although I have to say I did almost what you are planning i.e did Bangkok first and loved it and loved the city family fun atmosphere and then went on to Pattaya to do theirs , BUT pattaya did have a different "feel" to it and apart from the main actual one or two day dates which where also great fun to long lead up time to that date was a pain in the arse as it wasn't "officially" water play time but yet some (assholes) still decided to get you, usually at the most inappropriate times as you were dressed to go in to dinner etc and that got a bit tiring - especially after going through Bangkok for 5 days just before that, but apart from that it was great fun. I would HONESTLY suggest you buy a pair of ear plugs to stop the ( intentional) direct shots into ear you'll get as a" it's sore and between that and the loud music in out of the bars I firstly one night I am 100% convinced that I permanently damaged my hearing on that particular trip :-(

But apart from that I think you'll love it and who couldn't love lines of cute Thai guys coming up to rub the white paste stuff onto you cheeks in a cheeky sexy sort of way :-)) Oh and do carry the minimum amount of "stuff" out with you, small money, camera/ phone if you must as it'll all get soaked, you can but plastic holder type things which go round your neck on string which worked quite well at keeping things dry but I had my stuff wrapped to within an inch of it's life ! Some suggest actually putting your camera in a condom of all things but I didn't feel the need to go to that length thankfully - oh and take care as my BF at the time had his plastic holder bag cut open with a sharp blade whilst we were walking in a busy crowd and they pinched his wallet ( which he was furious about and about losing the 2000 he had out with him along with his bank card etc - you can guess who was required to replace the 2000 baht just to shut him up :-(( - oh and bring Shorts and tee shirt that you never want to wear again as you'll never be able to anyway ! I ended up wearing the same sleeveless shirt for 3 days as a) there was no point ruining anything else and b) it stayed that wet it was like it was being washed every 10 minutes anyway ! lol

Neal
September 24th, 2012, 18:34
I had a great time the years I played and now that things like walking and falling are of great concern, I stay in Pattaya while the fun is going on in BKK. When it is over in BKK and just about in Pattaya I race to BKK and hide in a hotel up there and return the day after sonkran to clean up the outside of the house an bar. I do miss it. AND while I admit you can buy a water gun here, the ones made in the states have such large tanks and range and when in a fight, you are assured not to have to look for a refill station while they continue to bombard you. That Irish piglet doesnt know what he is talking about. Get back to work you you Irish drunk. After all what do you know anyway? Anonone is a freind and commrad from the US and we have to stick together. :laughing3:

Neal
September 24th, 2012, 18:45
PS. I remember being in Bangkok on soi 4 a few years back with my USA Super shooter whatever it was called. I sat in an open bar and acroos the street in the front of another bar were some doormen from a gay bar I sometimes went into. On the bench and pointed right at them was my super powered gun and when they were not looking my finger ever so quickly hit the trigger for this long squirt across the street. The looks of them looking all around, seeing me withe my trusty gun beside me but the look was like....he couldnt have gotten me from that far away, could he?? Well it went on for a few squirts and a few disbeliefs until I hit them with a very long stream so that they were sure to see where it was coming from and of course the war broke out. It was great fun! And there I was looking so innocent....I cant get you form that far baby! :laughing3:

joe552
September 24th, 2012, 19:36
DaBoss, NIrish Guy may know more about armaments than you think, but is not allowed to talk about it. :occasion9:

September 24th, 2012, 19:39
I have seen you sitting outside your own bar on many an occasion and "you" and the words "looking innocent" never ever came to mind in the same sentence !! :-)

And I also was able to shoot long distances and with great power - but all from my normal standard not over the top, look at me I'm from the States so everything has to be bigger and better weapon - but I guess that's just cause I'm younger and fitter than you and when you're young and cute like me shooting long distances with great power is NEVER a problem !! lol :-)

Neal
September 24th, 2012, 19:48
You're just a tacky fag :sign5:
Buy the forum so I can finish retiring with all of your money, come here sell advertising and make more and just forget that little island you live on. :occasion9:

September 24th, 2012, 19:52
I THOUGHT our deal was meant to be private and you weren't announcing anything until we agreed on that last piece of contract detail re the handover date !! I didn't want this announced yet ! I'll PM you !

September 24th, 2012, 19:54
Sorry on re reading it I see your comment was a general one and not about that other matter, sorry my mistake, still I'll PM you to sort that out now.