PDA

View Full Version : Pinnacle Hotel now charging joiners fee

kjun12
September 21st, 2012, 09:08
A word of caution to those who have previously stayed at the Pinnacle Hotel on Soi Ngam Duphil. I just learned that Pinnacle is now charging a 550 baht joiners fee if you bring a boy to the hotel in the evening. This is done even if he does not spend the night.

September 21st, 2012, 12:05
For clarity - is this on the basis of the registered guest having only a single room? Or are they charging a joiners fee even if you have a double?

I can almost see an argument for the former, but certainly not for the latter

kjun12
September 21st, 2012, 14:05
For clarity - is this on the basis of the registered guest having only a single room?
I called the hotel to ask in order to clarify the issue and their response was that if you have a double then you do not have to pay the joiners fee as long as your guest registers at the desk. In the case of a single then you must pay a joiners fee to have a guest. I wish I had asked if you are staying for several nights then can you change the registered guest. Alas, I did not pose that question.

September 21st, 2012, 15:07
I can only say that I always book a double room and have never paid a joiner charge.

Having said that, if I'm using a hotel in Thailand for the first time I will come right out and ask them directly by email before booking - and if I didn't get the answer I wanted (no joiner charge) I'd go elsewhere. I don't feel "sleazy" or "ashamed" asking this question - it's Thailand after all!

Further, I think when the likes of the Pinnacle says "registered" they just mean they take the boys ID card at reception - I can't imagine they insist on you registering only ONE boy throughout your stay.

Now, I must admit that in Europe I would feel embarassed asking the question - so what I do there is to book into larger "chain" hotels like the Accor group (Novotel/Mercure/Ibis etc). I find that being a larger hotel, there is a degree of anonymity and the reception staff have no idea who is registered or not. Again I book a double room just in case I was challenged, but it's never happened.

As for the Pinnacle, the message seems to be book double and avoid hassle, or take your business elsewhere - from what I hear it's nothing special anyway.

:hello2:

September 22nd, 2012, 09:44
When I stayed there a couple of years ago they charged a joiner fee so nothing new about it at all I stay at Sathon Inn these days no joiner fee no ID check and I go to Om Yim for brekkie so free WiFi.

gaymandenmark
September 22nd, 2012, 10:35
it is very strange that they changed their policy.
But that said, they were very friendly, when I came back with a really sick friend. He had big fever, and I was never charged for anything at the hotel, even breakfast was brought to the room for free.
So sometimes you may not ask, but just be there.

cameroncat
September 24th, 2012, 09:55
With all the people going in and out of a hotel lobby of that size.. how do they even know who they are supposed to stop or not? I tend to believe that if you came back with a well dressed thai guy without powder on his face and 2 gallons of hair gel, they might not question whether or not he is a registered guest.

danny99
September 24th, 2012, 15:49
When I stayed there a couple of years ago they charged a joiner fee so nothing new about it at all .

I have been staying there 2-3 times a year for the past 5 years and have never been questioned, my friends often visit day time and sometimes late night. But then I always book via Agoda, all rooms are suitable for 2 persons [they do not have SINGLES] and I always put in one of my Thai friends names as the 2nd person even though they will not be staying there permanently but may visit once or twice [usually on a Sunday for a bit of fun in the steam room]...as a result I usually get breakfast chits for two persons as well, just in case although I am rarely even asked for a breakfast slip in the mornings.

I think it is just another case of being discreet and looking as if you know what you are doing?

They do have many young Thai boy guests, both for weekday working seminars and for BAngkok weekends, so unless your boy is OBVIOUS wearing pink hot pants and carrying on like a tramp...there should never be a problem!