PDA

View Full Version : Tipping Taxi drivers - yes or no?

Liamog
September 21st, 2012, 00:40
Do posters normally tip drivers of taxi or airport transports?

I used to always tip about 20% to taxis and 200B to airport tranfer drivers. A friend who lives in Pattaya told me it wasn't expected. I didn't tip on my last few taxi journeys and for the airport transfer on my last journey and there wasn't any negative reactions, in fact it didn't seem to be expected.

joe552
September 21st, 2012, 01:20
I tip 200Bt to the airport driver - whether it's expected or not, I feel it's earned (my flight usually arrives around 7 am, which means the driver has left Pattaya at maybe 5.00, so he/she deserves a little something). I don't use normal taxis so don't know about them.

francois
September 21st, 2012, 01:56
Yes, tip driver for rides to and from BKK airport - Pattaya @ 200 TB. My drives are between midnight and 2 AM.

markie1
September 21st, 2012, 04:10
Yes, tip driver for rides to and from BKK airport - Pattaya @ 200 TB. My drives are between midnight and 2 AM.
I USEUALLY TIP THEM 100 BAHT EACH JOURNY

gaymandenmark
September 21st, 2012, 04:41
Well it is very different what I do.
Normally I am going from the airport to Bangkok, and it all depends on the driver. If the driver turn on the meter without any problems, and I know that he is driving the shortes way, I will tip him from 30-100 depending on what I have in my pocket and how much the meter shows. If the driver is a pain in the ass, I will not pay an extra baht.
Driving in Bangkok is for me different, if the meter shows 36 baht and I give 40 baht, I am not waiting to get 4 baht back, but I have also experienced that the taxidrive on a payed meter who was 42 baht, did not want me to find 2 baht in my pocket, no problem, 40 baht is okay.

frequentflier
September 21st, 2012, 06:27
I always tip 200bht each way..I think its the proper thing to do..

bucknaway
September 21st, 2012, 07:13
Sometimes yes, sometimes no. It depends.

arsenal
September 21st, 2012, 10:29
Yes. 100 Baht. Provided they have taken the quick way and paid the two tolls and not tried to take a detour to fill up at a cheaper petrol station on the way.

Daniel-old
September 21st, 2012, 18:51
Airport transfers Pattaya - Bangkok, 200 baht tip as a 'thank you' for good service would be appropriate. However, if I ever had a driver that provided a poor service, I would be very comfortable not tipping. Thankfully, this has not happened in twenty years.

Neal
September 22nd, 2012, 02:49
I am confused. I always thought we were responsible for tolls. If he pays the two tolls isn't that 90 baht so if he doesn't charge you, which would be out of his pocket that would mean he is getting 10 baht tip.

lukylok
September 22nd, 2012, 03:08
I always book a car from LimoPattaya following an advice received on this board, They have always been very reliable, on time and good clean car. But as it is an agreed price, 1.200 airport or Bkk to Pattaya, I don't tip. Am I penny pinching ?

joe552
September 22nd, 2012, 03:12
I use Mr. T taxi - 1000Bt including tolls - so I presume the company takes the tolls into account when paying the driver? :dontknow: I've never been asked to pay the tolls as well as the taxi fare. So my total including the tip for the driver is 1200Bt from the airport to Pattaya.

Neal
September 22nd, 2012, 04:31
I don't know. LOL! I can only assume if it is a company or a service and they quote you a price and say that the tolls are included and that they take the toll road, well then the tolls are included. If it is a meter taxi and they are using a meter, I have to assume that it is the slow route and that the tolls are not included. Also take into account where they are based out of. If they are in Pattaya and you are taking them to the airport, do they have a license to pick up a passenger at the airport or must they return empty? If they are a Bangkok taxi and you take them to Pattaya will they need to hang around all day or night looking for a fare going back to thier area?
Some will say that this is not thier problem and sure enough it is not but it is decent that we try and look at everything involved.

colmx
September 22nd, 2012, 07:13
Yes. 100 Baht. Provided they have taken the quick way and paid the two tolls and not tried to take a detour to fill up at a cheaper petrol station on the way.
Same same for me!
I will accept them stopping once on the way for pee break or to buy birdy etc and as long as the driver was safe he gets 100B tip...
But anyone that takes mad detours to get cheap PTT gas or drives dangerously, too quickly etc gets nothing

September 22nd, 2012, 09:41
For limo the toll is included in the fare for taxi its extra so I have been told but 200 baht tip is totally OTT.

pong
September 23rd, 2012, 19:31
as for in the CITY of BKK-GMDK is right-thats the way Thai do it too. NEver ever make a deal-just watch if they turn the metr on. Rounding to next 10 bt (even downward if its x1 or x2) is usual-and thats it.

arsenal
September 24th, 2012, 01:27
Coolmx: Your post made me laugh. It's always ME who insists we stop for a pee break and to buy Birdy. I always buy one for the taxi driver too. It's almost a ritual with me now.

joe552
September 24th, 2012, 01:43
Forgive my ignorance (again) but what is "birdy"? :dontknow:

colmx
September 24th, 2012, 03:19
Birdy is a type of canned coffee.
It seems to be favoured a lot by Thai taxi drivers... guess because it keeps them awake when they are driving 20 hours a day!

Dodger
September 24th, 2012, 03:23
Lukylok wrote:

I always book a car from LimoPattaya following an advice received on this board, They have always been very reliable, on time and good clean car. But as it is an agreed price, 1.200 airport or Bkk to Pattaya, I don't tip. Am I penny pinching ?

No, you are a "cheap skate",...a "penny pincher" would have at least tipped something.

I pay a pre-arranged driver 900 baht to-and-from Suvarnabhumi and have been paying the same rate for years. I always tip 300 baht considering the distance involved and the fact that he (the driver) always pays the tolls which I think is a fare amount and always apprecited by the driver.

If I were to agree to 1,200 baht I would still tip 300 baht - understanding that the driver has the same amount of miles to drive and has to earn a living just like everyone else.

joe552
September 24th, 2012, 03:36
Thanks, colmx, I'll have to try one next time.

Well said, Dodger - these guys work long hours and a hundred baht here or there is nothing to us, but a lot to them.

bucknaway
September 24th, 2012, 03:52
100 baht is not nothing to me. Those 100 baht tips do add up in a day. If a tip is earned than one is given but I try not to confuse a tip with charity.

joe552
September 24th, 2012, 04:36
This thread is about tipping taxi drivers - not "dropping" 100 baht tips all over town. It seems that some tip 100Bt while others tip 200Bt or more for the journey from the airport to Pattaya. Surprisingly, different people do different things. Who'd of thunk it? :dontknow:

bucknaway
September 24th, 2012, 05:05
Still, I am very sober with my money. If I feel the Taxi driver tried to be sneaky with me than he may not get a tip. If he wants to negotiate the fare than he will not get a tip. If we are working off the meter than he will get a tip. If he has a set price for a fare than he will get a tip.

I don't throw my money around as if it means nothing to me. I work hard for every penny and I am not so fast to throw it away.

When others talk about how meaningless money is they should tell us how much they earn so that we can get a better idea as to what income level one should be at when money becomes meaningless.

September 24th, 2012, 06:05
100 baht is only about a ┬г2 tip...people give much more than that for a short taxi ride in their own countries and dont seem to mind
it seems to me that some people dont think thai workers deserve as much as workers back in their own countries so i think that shows a lack of respect for Thai people

Liamog
September 24th, 2012, 07:11
100 baht is only about a ┬г2 tip...people give much more than that for a short taxi ride in their own countries and dont seem to mind
it seems to me that some people dont think thai workers deserve as much as workers back in their own countries so i think that shows a lack of respect for Thai people

That's the thing, I wouldn't actually tip a taxi driver in my country (Ireland & I've lived in UK also) other than to round up a smallish amount say ┬г3-70 to ┬г4-00. In fact there's a lot of services that people tip for in Thailand that I wouldn't tip for in Ireland unless the service was unusually good. For example In Ireland or the UK I wouldn't normally tip for Bar service, or service in a cafe, or to go to a toilet, unless as I said service was exceptional in some way.

My querying tipping isn't about being cheap or tight or thinking Thai workers are less worthy than those in Ireland or elsewhere, absolutley not. Anyone who has meet me in Thailand would vouch for my not being tight. (With money that is, before you start!!!) Not tipping is just the cultural norm were I come from. If service is advertised as costing x ┬г or Baht or whatever then that's what I expect to pay. The existence of an 'expected' tip of a certain amount is in effect an additional hidden charge.

I realise there is a much bigger tipping culture in the USA and some other parts of the world. Tipping is 'expected' and even the amount or % is more or less set. And when there I would no doubt do as everyone else does. But I do resent being told I am somehow less generous as a person, or am not showing respect to Thai workers because I don't necessarily tip everyone who provides a service for me, a service that I am already paying the going rate for!

By the way, it's my understanding that tipping isn't prevelent or expected among Thais themselves, it is rather something that has been imported with the tourists from those countries that have a tipping culture. Maybe it has become expected now, but only in the areas frequented by tourists.

And for the record, before my reputation as a cheap Charlie becomes fully established, in Thailand I always tip staff in bars and cafes, who tend to be relatively low waged but am still not convinced about taxi drivers who, my understanding is, make quite a good living. As for toilet attendents, well gentlemen don't talk!

I suppose for me, I would normal do whatever is the norm in any country - hence my post here, to find out what is the norm in Thailand. When I am in any doubt I would usually err on the side of avoiding embarrassment and offer a tip.

anonone
September 24th, 2012, 07:12
I have been using Mr T taxi lately (great service at a great price, always on time).

1000 BKK to Pattya
900 Pattaya to BKK
Price includes all tolls.

I have noticed that they must use a different route than I was on previously. I always remembered 3 toll booths, but Mr T seems to hit only 2...or maybe sometimes 1. (Sometimes I fall asleep and wouldn't swear to it).

I have noticed they do like to stop for gasoline / LPG. It has happened 3 of the last 4 times. I don't get too worked up about it though. Part of the transition to adjusting to Thailand.

I usually tip 100 or 200 baht, depending on circumstances.

By the way, Birdy cans are great. A quick hit of caffeine readily available at 7/11 or Family Mart. More like a latte than straight coffee.

I have to say that my drivers tend to prefer the M150, or whatever that stuff is...the one that tastes like cough syrup.

colmx
September 24th, 2012, 07:42
I have been using Mr T taxi lately (great service at a great price, always on time).

I have to say that my drivers tend to prefer the M150, or whatever that stuff is...the one that tastes like cough syrup.

Same same me with Mr.T taxi, never been let down yet in 10+ trips
Have even used them for a fre trips to Korat @2500B

As for the M150... i use M150 Sport as a hangover cure... Always ensure i have a bottle in the fridge to down as soon as i wake up in teh morning/afternoon
Unlike the original M150 its quite drinkable...
I recommended it to a friend once... but it turns out he only listened to the first part of my suggestion and bought the original

It made his hangover even worse than it originally was!

lukylok
September 24th, 2012, 13:59
It all boils down to this : the tipping habit is north american.
There it is "normal" to tip at bars, restaurants etc, as the workers are seriously underpaid.
Same applies to shop, where a sales tax is added.
It's part of the culture.
In other parts of the world, the service is included in the price asked, as the VAT.
And tips are for something really exceptionnal.
Thai people don't tip.
Let your thai friend take care of your expenses, you'll be surprised !

P.S. This has nothing to do with the "fee" you give to the friend you have found for the evening !

fountainhall
September 24th, 2012, 15:01
In other parts of the world, the service is included in the price asked
There is sometimes confusion in certain restaurants about the 10% service charge. Many believe this goes to the staff. In most cases, most of it - if not all - is pocketed by the owner. I knew a waiter in one of Bangkok's top Italian restaurants. 85% of that service charge went to the owner leaving the staff to share just 15%. If I feel the service merits a tip, I always give it in cash directly to the waiter. I don't add it to the credit card bill or leave it in the folder the bill comes in.

As for taxis in BKK, I normally round up to the nearest Bt.10. For taxis to/from the airport Bt. 30 - Bt. 40.

I think everyone should tip as they think fit and feel comfortable with. But we should also remember that average wages in Thailand are way lower than in the US and UK. Tipping at western levels is highly unusual, and tipping at Thai levels does not in my view show any lack of respect to Thais.

September 24th, 2012, 15:03
What i said was'nt directed at any one person...i was just talking in general terms

danny99
September 24th, 2012, 15:38
As it is always airport to Pinnacle Lumpinee in Bangkok for me, and return, a small tip say 50 baht is my normal. However getting late night taxis back to the hotel from Silom the more friendly young Isaan drivers also deserve a small tip. Some even want to park their taxi in the car park and come upstairs.

Dodger
September 24th, 2012, 17:59
I can see from the responses here that different people tip for different reasons.

One reason that seems to stand out is...because you feel you have to and do so only to fulfill an obligation...counting each single baht in the tip with scrutiny...all the time thinking about how much you're giving...with little or no thought to what he (the driver) is receiving, or the feelings (positive or negative) that the driver will experience when the transaction is complete. If this is your thought process than your missing the true meaning (or purpose) of "giving"... bad karma.

bucknaway
September 25th, 2012, 07:30
These are the same angels that try to rob you when it rains or tells you that the palace is closed and try to take you to a gem shop?

I tip when the spirit moves me :scratch:

September 25th, 2012, 07:39
Here Here - the when it's raining thing really does my box in !! So yes I normally round up to whatever is nearest and suits my pocket in terms of notes etc and after that only tip if the guy's been especially nice or done something specific to deserve it as the last time I looked no one tipped me just for doing my normal job that I go to by choice everyday - and now that I think of it everytime I do tip my Thai friends usually tut at me as it's either to much or they feel the guy didn't deserve it so it's not just farang who think like that I think.

ceejay
September 25th, 2012, 14:49
From the airport I'll tip maybe 50 baht for Bangkok and 100 or more for Pattaya. More, for example, when the plane is late or it's taken ages to get through immigration so that the driver has been kept hanging around.On the other hand, I tip nothing for bad service - going round the houses in Bangkok or in one case, a guy booked through my guest house who had to ask me where it (the guest house) was!
The people I always tip are the maids in hotels. They really don't get paid much at all and they always look after you well. A few hundred baht, spread over several days really isn't that much to me, and it really means a lot to them.
More generally, I feel, although I could be wrong, that the attitude of Thais to overtipping is complex. Say, in a restaurant (where it is not expected) you tip 50 baht on a 300 baht bill. I get the feeling that this creates the impression of a farang flashing his money around rather than of a generous man. It's received of course - but not, I think, gratefully.
Maybe, if I think about it, I'll return to this subject in a few months. Come the end of October I'll be arriving in Thailand for a 5 month stay, as compared to a maximum of 3 weeks before. One of the things that is going to have to change is the millionaire for a fortnight attitude to money while I'm in Thailand. I'll be living there, rather than visiting and I'm going to be on the same budget I am at home. That has to make a difference to all sorts of things, and tipping is one of them.

September 25th, 2012, 15:17
ceejay, I will find it fascinating to hear how you change your habits as a consequence of a 5 month stay rather than a 3 week "blitz".

I'm sure many people (those who aren't millionaires of course) who would love to retire or move to Thailand permanently, wonder about what their experience would be like if they weren't to be going round all the bars buying whisky sets, taking multiple boys off for meals, and then staggering back to a hotel with a boy every night. Oops - maybe that's just me - but I doubt it :evil4:

I'm being genuine - I do hope you find time to post about this. How and where you cut down on expenses and how it affected your enjoyment one way or the other.

:hello2:

September 25th, 2012, 15:26
I'm guessing that at the end of the 2nd or 3rd week if he's anything like me Ceejay will be so knackered, shattered and generally FUCKED ( in every sense of the word) that'll he actually embrace the slow down in required activity as it's the very fact that I am only there for 3 weeks and so trying to make the most of every night that has me run ragged, the thought of a longer, more replaxed break, perhaps with one guy for a longer time with less drama and bullshit actually sounds lovely, so yes I look forward to reading your posts too Ceejay.

christianpfc
October 10th, 2012, 00:25
I don't book taxis to pick me up at the airport (I take a taxi at arrivals) or for trips between BKK and PTY (I use the bus).

So all my taxi rides are by flagging down a taxi. I round up to 10 Baht.

Driving a car in Bangkok traffic is a skill I don't have, so I am happy there are others who do it for me. Right, left, traffic lights, gearshift, other cars, crossroads, pedestrians, motorcycles - no thanks!

Shuee
October 10th, 2012, 03:18
i dont care about so called tipping laws as its not expected in my country, & what you see is what you get here & thats what you pay for.
if you are very comfortable money wise then tip generously. If like some you have to save hard for your vacations & only have a set limited amount of money & also been getting a crap exchange rate to the baht for yrs now & also have had to reduce your trips to thai to only 1 trip a yr becuase of this then tip minimal . If your retired & your moneys not going to last forever also tip minimal, but if your retired & are loaded then tip more, tip what you feel comfortable with, its obviously on your mind as you asked the question, so just tip what you feel is fare, then you wont be questioning yourself regardless of what other do or say. simple really & ive never had any problems, not even with thai guys & many are happy to return

gaymandenmark
October 10th, 2012, 05:42
Shuee:
"I dont care about so called tipping laws as its not expected in my country, & what you see is what you get here & thats what you pay for."

Try that attitude in New York and you will almost get lynched. :sign5:

bucknaway
October 10th, 2012, 06:37
Why is everything in Thailand compared to New York? Why not compare Thailand to DC? Or Bali? or Saigon? I avoid NYC so why would I want to go to a city that wants to be NYC?

When the Thai people start demanding NYC money from the tourist that will be the end of their tourist trade.

gaymandenmark
October 10th, 2012, 07:08
You misunderstand me bucknaway, my comment was on this "I dont care about so called tipping laws as its not expected in my country"
I read this as I don't tip when i travel to another country because in my homecountry it is not expected.

Some of the biggest tippers in my country are americans tourist because they are used to tip at home, and all in the serviceindustry is of cource happy for that, even if the do not have to tip that much or at all. But they are used to tip for good service in their homecountry.

For exampel, we in Scandinavia, are not used to tip so much anymore, and are therefore surpriced that is commen that you give at least 10-15%??? in the USA, because it is a part of the salary.

I am oppose Shee, if he is not use to give tips in his country, it is more important to know the tipping roules in the country you are visiting.

I am trying not to overtip, but to use the ways the locals are doing it.

bucknaway
October 10th, 2012, 07:32
I see it from all directions. We all enjoy Thailand and hate to see the Thai people become more western but we force western culture on them.

I often hear Thai people complain how visitors with their money go about high headed throwing their money around while looking down their nose at Thai people while wanting them to adapt to their way of things. It also has a lot to do with some of the more attractive Thai women pushing Thai men aside to get to a non-Thai visitor with a pocket full of Baht. Yes, there are many that love western visitors throwing their money around as long as some comes there way and this helps to create a divide in attitude as related to tourist and tourism.

We tend to ignore Thai advice on monetary compensation. What do they know? (Said with a air of sarcasm).

My point is that Thailand is not NYC or Rome and we all know from that famous saying about Rome.... "When in Rome, we do as the Roman's do."

October 10th, 2012, 15:02
I base my tip where ever i go on the standard of service and friendly attitude...my heart rather than my head is my deciding factor in all things i do including tipping

gaymandenmark
October 10th, 2012, 17:38
My point is that Thailand is not NYC or Rome and we all know from that famous saying about Rome.... "When in Rome, we do as the Roman's do."

Exatly, that was in fact my point, even if I maybe expressed myself bad or was misreaded.
That is why I find this argumentation from Shuee wrong: "I dont care about so called tipping laws as its not expected in my country"
If I understand him correct he is saying that he do not tip when he is travelling, because it is not the norm to tip in his country, even if it is the norm in the country he is travelling to. I did not read his comment to be about specifically Thailand.
That was also why I wrote something like: Try that attitude in New York.
It had nothing to do with comparing Thailand to New York, on how or how much to tip.

I do not want to overtip, and normally do as the locals.
If I am in New York, Boston or wherever I tip if it is the norm, in Rome I tip if it is the norm by the locals, if I was a tourist to Denmark or Sweden I would normally not tip, because it is not the norm.
Well, even as a local I sometimes do it in speciel occasions.

Jellybean
October 10th, 2012, 20:52
I remember the subject of tipping was raised on the forum before and, at that time, I mentioned the issue to the principal of my Thai school in Bangkok. She told me that it was not common practice for Thais to tip, but it was expected that farang would tip in the poorly paid service industries. She explained that farang were considered to be wealthy, at least in comparison to most Thais, so a small sign of gratitude was most welcome and appreciated by restaurant and hotel staff.

With regard to taxis, I use the public taxis from the airport to my apartment and usually add an extra 50-100 Baht depending on what notes I have available. I always round-up when paying day to day taxis in Bangkok. Occasionally, if the driver turns out to be a bit of a character, engages me in conversation and I find him entertaining I will double the fare. Usually it will amount to no more than an extra 50-70 Baht, not much for me, but, IтАЩm sure, much appreciated by the driver.

At restaurants I always leave a tip, no exact figure, depends on the cost, but something in the region of 10% or 40 Baht minimum if itтАЩs a low cost bill.

I also tip the bellboys at my apartment when they help me with my luggage or bring up my weekly shop from Tesco Lotus.

IтАЩll tip my concierge staff 100-200 Baht if they help me with something outside their normal duties тАУ like helping me with my Thai homework or official paperwork. I also tip the apartment official driver 500-1,000 Baht to look after my car whilst I am out of Thailand. ItтАЩs cheaper than buying a new battery!

On the occasions I use a hotel I will tip the room maid at least 100 Baht.

Most of these amounts are, in the scheme of things, relatively small, but probably mean a great deal to the recipient.

On a separate subject, I noticed above that Scottish-guy raised a question with ceejay about the possible change in his habits as a result of his impending move to Thailand for 5 months. I think this topic might merit its own thread. I spend, on average, 6 months of the year in Thailand, although this time round it will be a mere 4 months. Normally I arrive just before the end of August, because thatтАЩs when my visa expires, but due to delayed medical treatment it looks like it will be December at the earliest before I arrive. I would certainly be interested to hear how ceejay and others in similar circumstances adapt from a 2-3 week holiday to spending longer periods living in Thailand.

Neal
October 10th, 2012, 21:27
I tip in service industry type jobs but what I don't like to see is that even at McDonald's and grocery stores I see tip jars and I just ignore those. Taxi's, reataurants, beach service things like those I tip according to the service I get and what I feel is deserved.

arsenal
October 11th, 2012, 00:18
Tipping in China is virtually impossible. hairdressers, waiters, barmen just refuse to accept the money.

lukylok
October 11th, 2012, 01:55
Remembers me of my young years in London. I was a trainee in a famous store, and we were "ordered" to accept tips not to offend the customers. Usually from the States.
Because at that time, the young bunch of colleagues and myself were offended to be offered a tip for service rendered.

I agree, it was 45 years ago...... :dontknow:

francois
October 11th, 2012, 02:51
My Ozzy friends tell me that any tip is OTT.

Shuee
October 11th, 2012, 02:59
Shuee:
"I dont care about so called tipping laws as its not expected in my country, & what you see is what you get here & thats what you pay for."

Try that attitude in New York and you will almost get lynched. :sign5:

hi gaymandenmark, thats exactly why i said this as im aware of the usa culture of tipping, & we dont do this in my country. do you therefore have signs up saying YOU MUST TIP etc?
or how would a tourist know about such made up or real rules?

well done Bucknaway as you saw where i was coming from with your wise open mindedness, exactly my thoughts again as i new the usa culture of tipping was in the back of some minds here, but unlike the person who quoted me, he was just on a one track mind with usa

ceejay
October 11th, 2012, 04:21
On a separate subject, I noticed above that Scottish-guy raised a question with ceejay about the possible change in his habits as a result of his impending move to Thailand for 5 months. I think this topic might merit its own thread
Thanks for your interest Jellybean and Scottish Guy. I won't be making a blog of it as I guess that would get boring pretty quickly, but I'll make a post now and then.

Dick
October 11th, 2012, 06:17
'ucking Hell... a 4 page thread on tipping the taxi... for crying out loud!

Let's talk to and from the airport rather than crawling in anything with wheels that comes along after a night out, and you're just grateful to get back to your room/hotel.

Remember that Thai people do not tip people for doing their regular job!
Remember also that Americans are conditioned to tipping minimum 20% for it seems 'everything', which to my mind 'spoils' the overseas market.

I am one of those people who can't be bothered after a long haul flight to mess about with a meter taxi from the airport to my room/hotel in either Bangkok or Pattaya. I would much rather book a 'transfer' with the purveyor of my room, and have someone meet me at the airport. I am at least assured that they will then know where they are going and if there's any muckup I'm not going to be out of pocket for late arrival or whatever!

Lets for sake of argument assume the one way fare either to or from the airport, including all tolls which the driver pays, is 1,400 Baht. IF, in my opinion, the driver drives safely, does not spend most of the journey on his mobile phone, the car is clean and comfortable, and he does not stop to pick up some relative on the way (yes it has happened), then I will likely tip him 100Baht. So long as those criteria are met then I am conjucive to giving the driver a gratuity. I just want to make clear that a gratuity is not given automatically beacause (a) I'm British; (b) in some small way I want to only reward good driving and courtesy and to teach those who don't offer such basic requisites that tips should not be expected for mediocre or lousy service.

Forget 10% = 300 Baht... that's way over the top for Thailand... we're not in New York. And by the way, if in a meter taxi paying by th meter... the rule is you round up your 'tip' to the nearest 10 Baht shown on the meter.

Hope no one is in doubt.

francois
October 11th, 2012, 11:48
[quote="Dick"
Hope no one is in doubt.[/quote]

Not at all, dick.