View Full Version : Marriage... do you ask the parents permission first?

Beachlover
September 19th, 2012, 15:17
Anyone got experience, knowledge or understanding around Thai culture in this area?

If you're going to ask your Thai boyfriend to marry you, is it...

(a) a compulsory must

(b) good manners

(c) a good thing to do, or

(d) unnecessary and not needed

... to ask his parents first?

My BF's family are Bangkokians, part Chinese part Thai and fairly progressive and broad-minded in their thinking. Really nice, generous, genuine people. He sort of came out to his parents (though I think they already knew and assumed) in the process of introducing me to them and they have become quite close to me so we get along well and it's easy for me to talk to them.

I realise the answer to this question is going to vary, depending on which segment of Thai society you're dealing with, but am happy and interested to hear about whatever experiences or insight you have to share. :happy7:

cdnmatt
September 19th, 2012, 15:46
a) a compulsory must

I'm not sure if you have to ask the parents before asking the BF (don't think so), but you definitely need to ask them, and get their blessing. Running away to Koi Samui for the weekend and secretly getting married wouldn't go over very well with the family. :-)

adman5000
September 20th, 2012, 08:32
Is your BF Prathom or Mathayom or? :dontknow:

I would ask a monk for guidance on the cultural norm for this topic.

Diec
September 20th, 2012, 09:53
I would most definitely as the parents permission before marrying When you do this, it allows for your bf's parents to spread the good news throughout the village and then a big celebration will occur after that. You will meet aunts, uncles, and many other relatives that will instantly fall in love with you. However, be aware should you ever divorce your bf, you tend to lose the wonderful ties you had to the family. I would love to attend a wedding in Pattaya with an expat and a lovely hadnsome brown skinned Thai Boi!!