PDA

View Full Version : Distances from Ganymede

chubdad
September 15th, 2012, 03:55
Hi all

I will be soon coming to Pattaya for my first time (although i have been Bkk, Chiang Mai and Phuket) and will be staying at Ganymede in the Jomtien complex. How far is it to Sunnee Plaza from there (walking, I need the exercise) What are the best inexpensive eating places near Ganymede that serve Australian/NZ size servings?, especially for breakfast. I will be going to the Elephant Village (my favouright animals) but generally just wanting to lie on a beach and work on getting some colour into these old bones. Also do any of the clubs have a full "special" show. No problem if they dont. I will be getting a taxi )already booked) from the airport and the fare is 1200 each way. Is 100 to 150 a fair tip?

joe552
September 15th, 2012, 04:42
I can't imagine walking from Jomtien to Sunee Plaza. I walk a lot here in Dublin, but in the heat of Pattaya, 10 minutes is as much as I care to do. It would be a 10 minute ride on a baht bus. Hope you enjoy your first time in Pattaya/Jomtien. :party

anonone
September 15th, 2012, 05:13
Ganymede is in Jomtien, which is over the hill from Pattaya, where Sunne plaza is located. It is about 3 kilometers, and the walk would not be easy (hill, not smooth sidewalks, traffic, etc).

As joe indicated, it is very easy and cheap to use a baht bus (Song Teaw), which is a public transport system. One route runs right in front of Ganymede and runs right past soi VC (soi 17). From there, it is a 3-5 minute stroll to Sunee Plaza. When you get to Ganymede, have someone show you how the baht bus works...easier then trying to explain in writing. Cost is 10 baht each way.

For a full "special" show, your best bet is X Boys in the Boyztown area. First show is at 10, but I believe the later ones become more "special". Their sister bar, XBoysLand, across the street also has shows, but not quite as good as the original.

For the taxi, I normally tip 100 Baht for the airport run unless special circumstances. If the driver is extra friendly provides water bottles in the taxi, we pickup BF on the way to the hotel, etc then I will tip more.

Have a great time.

chubdad
September 15th, 2012, 05:49
Thanks a lot guys. For some strange reason, I had thought Sunee Plaza was in Jomtien. I would not mind the heat but at my age with arthritis the hill would definitely get me. I will also have a look at X boys. I love Thailand and if ever I win the lottery I would buy a little condo there so I could visit whenever I want. What is the October weather like?

TravellerDave
September 15th, 2012, 06:20
From Ganymede to Sunee is a long walk which I think would take nearly one hour. Sunee is deserted during the day so presumably you would be going there in the evening. I have stayed in Jomtien and have taken a baht bus most of the way to Sunee for the evening. This just involves a little walking from the normal baht bus route. Coming back on my own I have normally taken a baht bus from the taxi rank where they form up to get a full load for Jomtien. However if I have offed a boy I have invested in two motor bike taxis which do the trip much quicker and can be obtained from the entrance to Sunee Plaza. The total fare is about 300 baht for the two.

jimnbkk
September 15th, 2012, 07:39
From Ganymede to Sunee is a long walk which I think would take nearly one hour. Sunee is deserted during the day so presumably you would be going there in the evening. I have stayed in Jomtien and have taken a baht bus most of the way to Sunee for the evening. This just involves a little walking from the normal baht bus route. Coming back on my own I have normally taken a baht bus from the taxi rank where they form up to get a full load for Jomtien. However if I have offed a boy I have invested in two motor bike taxis which do the trip much quicker and can be obtained from the entrance to Sunee Plaza. The total fare is about 300 baht for the two.

Whoa!!!! A motorbike taxi from Sunee to the Ganymede should be about 50 Baht each bike. Don't run up the price for all of us 'po folks!

I walk the distance from Sunee area to Dongtan most days at least one direction when I'm there, and it takes about an hour. It used to take 45 minutes a few years ago, but they've increased the height of the hill and lengthened the distance over the years.

TravellerDave
September 15th, 2012, 12:36
Jimnbkk
Yeah 150 on reflection sounds far too much, but I think 50' is too low. The last time I used this method was over a year ago and it would been late at night Of course my negotiating skills would be impaired by a few drinks and having a cute boy in tow.
Being off the baht bus routes a motor bike taxi is a good option for Sunee even when Ive stayed in Boystown. I dislike the walk from Second Road particularly when Ive got a boy with me. No pavements and numerous motor bikes wizzing past.
I once jogged from BT to Dongtan and that hill seemed to approach Mount Everest in altitude.

Richsilver
September 15th, 2012, 17:56
There are many good and inexpensive restaurants a short walk from Ganymede. For breakfast you can try Kotta or Linda's just across the main road or a very nice buffet at Oscar's in the next Soi. The Continental Bakery is less than a 10 minute walk across the main road toward south Pattaya; they have a large variety of breakfasts at reasonable prices. The Ganymede also has their own coffee shop, but I have not tried it (I live right across the street at View Talay 2).

For dinners I can recommend La Bocca (Italian) across the main road (they have very good pizzas), Kotta (European) across the main road (very good lasagna), East Tapas Lounge (European) right across your soi and down a bit (great soups), Cafe Ritz (English, European) same side of your soi, 3 minutes (very good value, large set meals), Aquarius (European) in the next soi (good value, good meals), Mignon (steaks, European) across the main road 10 minutes toward the beach (inexpensive, generally good food), Shenanigans (pub food) down the main road toward the beach 5 minutes (large portions, good fish and chips), Kaffa (Thai) down the main road 15 minutes right across from the beach (best Thai food in the neighborhood), Natan's (French) on the main road near Mignon (fun gay staff, nice atmosphere), Sunrise Tacos (Mexican) on the main road 5 minutes toward the beach (decent Mexican fare).

That should keep you well fed!

Marsilius
September 16th, 2012, 04:15
The motorbike price used to be 40B each way until a couple of years ago. Then they started looking unhappy. 50B is now received with thanks.