PDA

View Full Version : Bangkok Hamburgers

kjun12
September 14th, 2012, 19:28
Today I had a rampaging desire for a hamburger. This caused me to go to the Emporium which is hoity-toidy and Hi-So but also was the home of Duke's which had a very good hamburger if not the best in Bangkok. Sadly, it has apparently closed. At least it was not where it had been in the food court area. Duke's, with its home in Chiang Mai, had opened this location a year or so ago. Last time there I noticed only one other person dining there and I would assume that the rent for a place in the Emporium would be fairly stiff. Guess they just couldn't make it there.

Still desiring a burger I decided to downgrade to get a couple of much smaller burgers from a couple of places and do a taste test. I got one from Mos Burger and one from Burger King. In my opinion the one from Burger King had better flavor and the fries were also better.

I shall have to seek out another burger joint to satiate myself. :happy7:

Khor tose
September 15th, 2012, 07:33
Already covered in gay Thailand. Three pages on where to get the best burger in Bangkok by Michael (old gay thailand owner). Eat on.

http://www.gaythailand.com/forums/topic ... entry51453 (http://www.gaythailand.com/forums/topic/7220-bangkoks-best-burgers/page__hl__hamburgers#entry51453)

kjun12
September 15th, 2012, 08:26
Already covered in gay Thailand. Three pages on where to get the best burger in Bangkok by Michael (old gay thailand owner). Eat on.
Thanks for the suggestion but I don't do gay thailand web site. I think the present owners don't do a very good job with it.

Up2U
September 15th, 2012, 10:33
Thanks for the suggestion but I don't do gay thailand web site. I think the present owners don't do a very good job with it.

Just for you:

http://www.bangkokburgerblog.com/

September 15th, 2012, 10:42
I prefer Isaan sausage.

bucknaway
September 15th, 2012, 17:32
Are you able to cook your own? If you can, there are so many ways to prepare a burger. My favorite is to wait for it to be halfway cooked, then add some water to the pan, lay on a bed of onion and cover them both with american cheese and put a lid over them so that the steam will finish cooking the burger, melt the cheese and make the onion soft and juicy! Delicious!

September 15th, 2012, 19:32
Steaming a hamburger in some water sounds to me like the flavor of the burger would be draining right off in the water.

corky
September 16th, 2012, 04:55
... and cover them both with american cheese ...

spray-on-cheese?

http://americangoulash.org/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/spray-cheese1.jpg

bucknaway
September 16th, 2012, 06:50
Steaming it adds flavor. It is similar to the way the burgers are cooked at white castle.

Here is a video showing another way to get the similar result.

http://youtu.be/fQAqB8CjUzY

September 16th, 2012, 07:37
Steaming them in a seperate pan is different then adding water to the bottom of the pan and then laying the burgers in the water.

bucknaway
September 16th, 2012, 07:46
You don't add enough water to boil them, you only add enough watter to create steam and then seal the steam in with a lid. That combined with the cheese and onion... Delicious.

Remember the small amount of water will work beside the fat of the meat that is frying the burger.

bucknaway
September 16th, 2012, 07:59
This video is a much better representation of the method.

http://youtu.be/SwsMaXVfR-I

Neal
September 16th, 2012, 08:01
Sure, better than your first suggestion which was add water to the pan and lay on lettuce which would have meant the burgers were sitting in water.

bucknaway
September 16th, 2012, 08:11
Heck, all I was doing was offering you a different way to enjoy a delicious burger, sorry.... I'm gonna move on.

Neal
September 16th, 2012, 18:13
then add some water to the pan, lay on a bed of onion and cover them both with american cheese

Sorry you got so defensive bucknaway, its just I was responding to your taking half cooked hamburgers and tossing them in the bottom of the pan in some water that you added and the flavor would have gone into the water. Afterwards you posted a video clip which shows the hamburgers are NOT being placed in the bottom of the pan with water that you added. I was just commenting on 1. the flavor going into the water and 2. Now you show directions which are not the same as you previously posted.

Would seem to me that since it only taskes a minute to melt the chees that your bed of onions that the burger is laid on won't be anywhere cooked before the cheese is melted. What sounds better is cooking your onions first and maybe some bacon or /and mushrooms. When they are halfway done start to cook your hamburger in the juices of the onion/mushroom/bacon whatever and about one minute before its finished at the cheese as it only takes a minute under a lid.

September 16th, 2012, 18:19
Give Bucky some credit - he has created an entirely new delicacy - the boiled hamburger.

gaymandenmark
September 16th, 2012, 19:30
Give Bucky some credit - he has created an entirely new delicacy - the boiled hamburger.

When I once a month want a burger, I do not want it steamed or boiled, but grilled or made on a pan.
What is next, to cook it in a microwave. :pukeright:

Neal
September 16th, 2012, 19:35
OK lets all get back to Bangkok hamburgers or open a new thread discussing all the different ways to make a hamburger :crybaby:

September 16th, 2012, 19:44
I prefer Isaan sausage.

I'm not sure whether the above was intended as a joke about Issan guys nice sausages ( which I'm partial too myself of course :-) - or maybe that's just my dirty mind reading to much into that lol - BUT if you "actually" meant Issan sausage i.e. as they sell on loads of stalls up and down the roads in Issan etc then ahhh no, not my thing at all, I keep trying them and just can't do it, half times they just taste of "road" and I swear there's actual grit in there somewhere and if not that then they just taste of pure grissle and fat and certainly not to much good meat content - or is it just me who thinks that ? Needless to say my Thai friend who was with me when eating them totally disagreed with me and thinks of course that they are lovely and I just wouldn't know a good sausage when I see it ! :-)

September 16th, 2012, 20:09
I must agree with you NIrish. I think the Thai suasages on the carts are simply disgusting. There are hard bits of ground up bone, mixed with what tastes like 70 - 80% fat and gristle all encased to look like a delicious but unedible sausage. Personally I like the many German suasages and meat that are available in that country.

mark86
September 17th, 2012, 00:43
Hamburgers at Dick's Cafe in Soi Twilight are pretty good. Great scenery there too.