PDA

View Full Version : Where to stay in Pattaya

TravellerDave
September 11th, 2012, 17:46
Hi guys im confronted by my usual indecision as to where to stay in Pattaya, during my forthcoming 3 week trip.
I prefer a gay oriented hotel for all the usual reasons, but on the other hand I like a place with a large swimming pool for my daily excercise. Two years ago I did stay on Soi 8 for that reason, but I have found that Tony,s gym on Third Road has a good pool so recently I have stayed in gay hotels/guest houses/appartments, but I have no favorite place.
As to areas Jomtien, Boystown & Sunee each have their advantages. Jomtien is of course convenient for Dongtan beach where I often spend the afternoons, but is a too quiet in the evening for me and I spend time in the main Pattaya Tony gym during the mornings. Boystown is in the centre of things and I certainly liked the Ambiance hotel, with its good wifi. Sunee is where I often "off" but I find it down market and not good for transport unless you are OK with motor bike taxis.
Still its a happy quandery isnt it ?. Better than most of the decisions I have to make at home !

stevehadders
September 11th, 2012, 19:12
I think it depends on your daily pattern as to where you stay. For example, I like going to the beach but not necessarily every day (other days wander around shopping centre etc) thus I wouldnt stay beachfront. However, I am out every night, primarily in BT but also Nab etc, as such staying in or near Boyztown is an advantage.(rather be close to where I finish up, and travel to places daytime). Wherever you decide, I am sure your holiday will be great

a447
September 11th, 2012, 20:01
Just booked the Ambiance for my next trip. Will be going to Chiang Mai first, then down to Pattaya in early October.
Can't think of any better hotel, but am always open to suggestions. It gets better every time I stay there.

jolyjacktar
September 12th, 2012, 01:28
My last 3 trips ive stayed at the Ambience which is a good choice for night life but it does give you that " Goldfish bowl " feeling as everyone knows your comming and goings there.
I thought about Tui's place on Jomtien beach as years ago i did stay there and loved the place also its not that far to pattaya in the evening.
I love to spend a few nights in Chaing mai before getting to Pattaya and nearly always stay in a little guest house near the moat and old wall which isnt a gay place but no one ever bothers me there.
Still i think the best bet is to book a place then have a look around when you arrive, and ask to go and see rooms in various places that way you can be sure on what your getting.

billyhouston
September 12th, 2012, 04:41
Until the end of October Baan Souy are offering rooms at Bht1999 with 10% off for cash.

Up2U
September 12th, 2012, 15:43
The new baansuoy has your gym, sauna and pool all in one package. Also check out the new Rome Hotel nearby.

Oliver
September 12th, 2012, 17:41
When I'm in Pattaya, I like to be surrounded by as many gay guys as possible and so stay in Boyztown. Ambiance has provided excellent service for many years. I strongly recommend it. Competitive prices are available, too.
A friend stayed at Copa recently in one of their balcony rooms; I was impressed- as was he.

A propos FriendlyMe's comments about baht- bus drivers, a newbie should be advised that you give a 10 bht coin to the driver and then leave. If you have a 20 bht, you ostentatiously wait for 10 bht change.
I've done countless journeys on the main route and never had a problem.

Marsilius
September 12th, 2012, 17:50
Althou [sic.] View Talay is not a gay places [sic.] about 30% of people staying there are gay.

How on earth can you possibly state that as a fact? Have you surveyed every household?

martin911
September 12th, 2012, 19:05
Dear o dear it must be a quiet day wherever you are !!

The guy says "about 30% are gay " --Its hardly a statement of fact is it ????

To to Op i would mention(as you state that you prefer places with pools ) possibly trying Posideon in Jomtien complex (they have installed a pool on the roof i believe ,although i have not seen it ) ----And its a place that is run very well !!!

Marsilius
September 12th, 2012, 21:05
We will have to agree to disagree on the meaning if "fact".

As I read it, he stated as a fact that somewhere around 30% of the VT1 residents are gay. Unless he's slept with them, this is an instance of one of those frequently thrown out statistical assertions (even if, as in this case, with an inbuilt margin of error) with no basis in empirically measurable fact at all.

September 12th, 2012, 22:25
....As I read it, he stated as a fact that somewhere around 30% of the VT1 residents are gay. Unless he's slept with them....

Having been on this Forum for a while - I find it entirely plausible that a SGF member could have "entertained" 30% of the View Talay residents.
Maybe he's called Friendlyme for a reason !!

:ura1:

TravellerDave
September 13th, 2012, 02:19
Thanks for your replys fellas. Interesting and practical reading.
My requirement for a large pool is met by joining the Tony gym on Third Road. Im no Micheal Phelps but I do find a few lengths of a decent sized pool most days good excercise particularly when combined with a gym session.
Another location I would consider is the Samsuk Guesthouse. I did get a tour last year from the boss and was very impressed both with the rooms and the ambiance of the place. It has a small gym and what you might call a "fun pool", at least it was fun when I was splashing about with my "boyfriend du jour". However its location is a snag. I had the walk back to Boystown a couple of times around 10 pm when baht busses would not stop for me.
I think on balance I will go for BT probably at the Ambiance.

corky
September 13th, 2012, 13:12
I recommend the Lek Hotel on 2nd Road between Sois 12 and 13. It's not a gay hotel but there is never a problem taking someone back.
http://lekhotel.tripod.com/index.html
It's a 5 minute walk from Boyztown. Royal Garden Plaza is very close.
It has a large swimming pool with sun loungers and a bar/food service.
It has parking facilities if you drive yourself.
The room rates are very cheap compared to those in the gay goldfish bowl of Boyztown.
The rooms are nicely furnished and there is good security.
No Russians and no Arabs.
It's a proper hotel - not a row of converted shophouses.

There is also a Lek hotel Jomtien that I have never visited but if you want the beach, the Russian families, the constant pesky traders and the joy of swimming in raw sewage and jellyfish then give Jomtien a try.

Marsilius
September 13th, 2012, 17:59
FriendlyMe - perhaps you ought to consider changing your name to something more appropriate...

RonanTheBarbarian
September 14th, 2012, 02:44
Who is this Russian general you have as your avatar, Marsilius? I am intrigued.

I thought it was just a generic cartoon picture you picked cause you had a clone moustache or something.

gaymandenmark
September 14th, 2012, 05:15
Who is this Russian general you have as your avatar, Marsilius? I am intrigued.

I thought it was just a generic cartoon picture you picked cause you had a clone moustache or something.

I don't think Marsillius avatar looks like an Russian, more like a Chinese as the General Chiang Kai-shek.

Marsilius
September 14th, 2012, 12:01
I confess it, guys... I am actually, in real life, Baron Roman von Ungern-Sternberg. Although it was thought that I died at just 35 (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roman_von_Ungern-Sternberg), as you can see I have actually lived on to a very old age.

I guess it was all those military operations on the Russian/Mongolian border that gave me my vaguely Eurasian appearance.

Google Images has several pics of me in middle age and I think you'll agree that I've weathered rather well.

bruno513
September 16th, 2012, 13:55
The new baansuoy has your gym, sauna and pool all in one package. Also check out the new Rome Hotel nearby.

Does anyone know it? How is the joiner fee rule in the Rome Boutique Hotel?