View Full Version : Maestro and traveller's cheques

lukylok
September 11th, 2012, 02:48
I used to utiise Maestro, my debit card to get money from the ATM.
Last time I was in Thailand I noticed that there was a 10.000 baht limit instead of the previous 20.000.
Which makes the withrawal more expensive due to the 150 baht surcharge.
My banker here assures me that the 20.000 limit has not changed, it should be a thai limit ?
Anyone knows more about that ?

Which leads me to the next question: many years ago I used T.C. ( travellers cheques)
I notice that the change mentioned in the booths is always higher than the bank notes, even of high denomination ( 100-500 тВм )
Is there a charge levied at the payment ?
There is the hassle of changing, passport etc..., but it's safer than bank notes.
Any opinion ?

ceejay
September 11th, 2012, 03:07
The last time I used traveller's cheques, which is just over a year ago, the banks charged a flat fee of 30 baht per cheque, no matter what the denomination, so you are better off with the highest denomination cheques you can get.

Which reminds me. Does anyone know where, in the UK, you can actually specify the denomination of TC's you buy? I haven't been able to find anywhere. They always include some of the bloody useless ┬г20 (equal to 980 baht ones) and then it gets expensive at 30 baht a time. Ideally, I'd like to buy some ┬г200 American Express TC's.

Liamog
September 11th, 2012, 04:19
The 10,000 is usually the highest amount on the 'quick cash' screen. You can go to 'other amount' and type in any amount up to your limit - I have taken out more than 20,000 many times doing this.

On my Thai account ATM card the highest amount on the quick cash screen is much less (I think 4000 Baht) however I can get up to 50,000 using the other amount screen here also.

I order TCs from my bank branch (HSBC) and you can ask for whatever denominations you want - I usually get ┬г100s only.

Dick
September 11th, 2012, 06:35
I have an ATM card for a savings account with SCB. I didn't know it until one of the staff showed me, but in the on screen menu you can change your daily withdrawal limit... up to 200,000 if I remember rightly.

I just bring foreign currency and convert when in LOS (not at the airport) and then pay into my savings account. I can then use my Thai ATM card to draw out for free as and when needed. No charge so long as I use an SCB ATM and I am in the same province as my bank e.g. Pattaya. If I draw money from an SCB ATM in say Udon Thani, then there will be a small charge.

SCB didn't require me to have any visa in my passport although they did need a Thai address to link to the account (I used an ex pat friend - although over the years he has never received any communication from them), so no problem to open the account. Some banks do require you to have a visa.

Up2U
September 11th, 2012, 08:39
Your home bank sets the daily withdrawal limit and it based on the business cycle in your home country. I use Aeon atm's to avoid the 150 baht fee. I also carry some cash for an emergency.

Last time I used traveler cheques Dwight Eisenhower was president.

TravellerDave
September 11th, 2012, 12:26
Up2u. You mention Aeon Atms which do not charge the 150 fee. Is this still the case ?. Where are these machines to be found in Pattaya ?.
I obtain baht by a mixture of atm withdrawals and changing pounds that I bring from home. The latter is usefull when the atm,s are out of action which seems to happen from time to time, but I find the rate you get is inferior to that at the atm,s thus eliminating the advantage of no 150 fee.
Funny how we try and save relatively small amounts and then blow much larger sums in the bars and on boys !

Neal
September 11th, 2012, 12:47
Yje ;imit is still 20,000. On each machine the withdrwal amounts may be different. All you have to do is select OTHER AMOUNT and 20,000 should pop up or just select that you wish to type in the amount and put in 20,000.

lukylok
September 11th, 2012, 13:46
Thank you for all your answers.
But I know about the change to other amount ! I used to draw 20.000 during my previous visits, but was that was not possible last July. At least with Maestro, Visa was no problem but is more expensive, as there are no third party to pay a commission.
I'll try again in a month.
I would be interested in opening an account and having a debit card to draw from the ATM.
The limits pointed by Dick are for all the banks, same province, bank's ATM, .... ?

Up2U
September 11th, 2012, 15:27
Up2u. You mention Aeon Atms which do not charge the 150 fee. Is this still the case ?. Where are these machines to be found in Pattaya ?.
I obtain baht by a mixture of atm withdrawals and changing pounds that I bring from home. The latter is usefull when the atm,s are out of action which seems to happen from time to time, but I find the rate you get is inferior to that at the atm,s thus eliminating the advantage of no 150 fee.
Funny how we try and save relatively small amounts and then blow much larger sums in the bars and on boys !

There are not many Aeon atm's in Pattaya. I know of 2 locations for sure:

Homeworks @ Sukumvit/Pattaya Tai
Tesco on North Pattaya Rd.

BTW, you can make a one shot withdrawal of up to 30,000 at the CIMB atm on Tappraya Rd., Jomtien next to the View Talay sales office (opposite View Talay 5).

pong
September 11th, 2012, 15:45
there is anOTHER limit working in Thai ATMs as far as how much you can get out:
max is 20 bills/notes (on most) so if the machine is out of 1000s, the max is thus 20x500=10k.
You wont know that untill you try out.
Aeon is indeed still ''free'' they are usually in the big shopping centres BigC and/or Tesco, and of coruse their ''own''= Supervalue (former Jusco=the JPNese firm they are attached to).

cdnmatt
September 11th, 2012, 15:54
I can't remember the bank name, but yeah, I've seen that 10,000 limit too. There's a chance it's up to the owner of that specific ATM, and has nothing to do with the bank itself. ATMs usually come in groups of 3+ though, so I simply goto the next ATM beside it, and am always able to pull out the 20,000 without problem.

TravellerDave
September 11th, 2012, 17:25
Up2u
Thanks for those locations. Im familiar with the location of Tesco on North Pattaya Road.
I have a cash limit of 300 pounds at home and that seems to apply in Thailand where I dont seem to be able to get more than 15000 in any one day, which is the equivalent to 15000 baht.
I usually only withdraw from atms in banks as a couple of years ago I selected a withdrawal from an atm on the street. My card and the paper slip came out but no money. My bank account was debited and it was a load of hassle getting a refund.
I was told this it was likely that some wire had been inserted in the cash slot.

Up2U
September 11th, 2012, 18:33
As noted in my previous post the CIMB atm has 30 bills/notes max so 30 x 1000 = 30,000 is possible in one single withdrawal.

September 11th, 2012, 18:51
I can only assume that the people withdrawing 20-30,000B per day from various ATMs cannot be the same people moaning about the price of a beer being over 100B.

:laughing3:

aot871
September 11th, 2012, 23:45
I used to take t/c but now just take cash ( ┬г20 uk ) as the bank charges mount up if using an atm, 150 bht thai charge plus approx 2.75% for the uk bank every time

billyhouston
September 12th, 2012, 04:35
First of all the banks colluded with their Bht150 and then Nationwide added currency charges. At that point I started carrying cash from UK (in ┬г50s if I could get them.) These days I use Swift transfers where the break even point is a little over ┬г3000, taking onto account Nationwide's ┬г25 charge for the transfer and the better rate for 'transfer' as opposed to bank notes, as well as the receiving bank's charges. It's also safer and less bother than carrying large amounts of cash.

September 12th, 2012, 15:09
I'm just waiting for someone to trump you all by saying he avoids all the malarkey with ATM withdrawal fees by simply bringing over a dozen gold bars in his suitcase.

Neal
September 12th, 2012, 15:41
When I used to go back and forth I avoided all the ATM fees by bringing US $100 dollar notes and changing them at the yellow exchange booth just outside of Boystown. Always got more and never a change fee on my cards. Now I don't travel anymore so I have to wire it to myself from USA, $40.

lukylok
September 12th, 2012, 22:05
I'm just waiting for someone to trump you all by saying he avoids all the malarkey with ATM withdrawal fees by simply bringing over a dozen gold bars in his suitcase.
Far too cumbersome, when a few diamonds will do the job ! :party

September 12th, 2012, 22:18
I thought of diamonds but decided their value is too subjective, therefore too much bother negotiating a price - whereas the price of solid gold bars is more or less fixed.

:sign5:

adman5000
September 13th, 2012, 08:00
I also have stopped using T/C as backup.

Now I just send a wire transfer in USD to my bank in BKK. It translates at an excellent rate and then I can just use my ATM. I send a set amount each time and it also is a good budget tool. I also like the ability to easily transfer to others within Thailand if required such as travel agents and others to avoid carry around large amounts of cash.

christianpfc
October 8th, 2012, 20:47
I use AEON ATMs (to save the 150 Baht fee on other ATMs) and bring cash for emergency.

Last month, the maximum I withdrew with my visa-card was 15,000 Baht (in Silom Centre), acutally I wanted 20,000, but the ATM refused (although my daily limit is 1000 EUR ~ 40,000 THB). The exchange rate is slightly (about 0,3 Baht per Euro) better than at exchange booths.

neo2012
October 8th, 2012, 22:32
Does anyone know where, in the UK, you can actually specify the denomination of TC's you buy? I haven't been able to find anywhere. They always include some of the bloody useless ┬г20 (equal to 980 baht ones) and then it gets expensive at 30 baht a time. Ideally, I'd like to buy some ┬г200 American Express TC's.

ceejay.. When i used TC's I used to get larger denominations ie ┬г100 and ┬г200 from co-op travel and they were American Express TC's, I'm not sure if they still do but they did a couple of years back, worth a look. :glasses7:

anonone
October 9th, 2012, 07:02
I use a variety of methods, including travelers checks, for funds. TCs do typically get a little better exchange rate, plus they are replaceable if lost or stolen. I can get them without fee from my financial institution in the USA, so that makes it a good alternative method for me. If you have to pay a fee to your bank to get the TCs, probably not worth it.

I also will take some $100 bills and also have ATM card to use. Emergency backup is credit card with no ForEx fee.

I like the peace of mind that comes with having some options in regard to getting money, just in case something unusual happens. (ATM failures, pickpocket, etc)

gaymandenmark
October 9th, 2012, 07:23
Okay, I don't bring cash with me, because I don't like to travel with a big amount of cash.

I thought that T/C was so outdated, but now I see that some of you are still using them.

My problem is that there are no T/C in DKK, so I have to change them from DKK to USD or Euro or Yen or what ever.
Then I have to change them from USD or whatever into TBH. You also have to sign each T/C, and I have got 2 change "fees"

Now I "only" take 1 Visa, 4 Mastercards and 1 Diners with me, so I hope I am secured if anything is going wrong. :laughing3:

2lz2p
October 9th, 2012, 10:30
I just bring foreign currency and convert when in LOS (not at the airport) and then pay into my savings account. I can then use my Thai ATM card to draw out for free as and when needed. No charge so long as I use an SCB ATM and I am in the same province as my bank e.g. Pattaya. If I draw money from an SCB ATM in say Udon Thani, then there will be a small charge.

I have used my Bangkok Bank ATM at other bank ATMs in Pattaya - there was no fee charged - it used to be 20 Baht. As I recall, the Gov't instructed the banks to not charge a fee to someone using another Thai bank's ATM card - BUT, I think it said it was limited to 4 times per month.

When I use the card at Bangkok Bank ATMs outside of the Province, the fee is 10 Baht. I have not tried to use it at other bank ATMs outside the Province so don't know what fee is charged for that.

Oliver
October 9th, 2012, 13:29
A creature of habit, I've always been a t/c man, fearing the disappearance of one of my cards into the darkness of a Thai bank.
I always bring high denominations- and to answer an earlier question, Lloyds TSB provide exactly the demoninations you want. I prefer ┬г200 notes.
I enjoy the extra security afforded by t/cs but not the amount of time the cashiers take to change them up. Nor was I appreciative of TMB on the corner of Pattayaland Soi 2 this morning when its exchange still hadn't opened at 1125. The exchange booth next to Mike (and similar ones elsewhere) do not accept t/cs, by the way.
I've often considered giving up t/cs; in fact I tried it once, only to be robbed on my way to Thailand at Heathrow. The loss of that cash and my cards persuaded me that, perhaps, it's best to continue with t/cs.
But that's another (and painful) story.

travelerjim
October 9th, 2012, 14:01
When I used to go back and forth I avoided all the ATM fees by bringing US $100 dollar notes and changing them at the yellow exchange booth just outside of Boystown. Always got more and never a change fee on my cards. Now I don't travel anymore so I have to wire it to myself from USA, $40.

db...
$40 is a high fee for a wire to TH...
What is your bank?

Do you wire to Bangkok Bank/NYC?
I have CitiBank & charge is flat $18.75...BKK Bk charges $5. + 250 thb.

Also, if you set up bank transfer from your bank to Bkk Bk NYC...
maybe no charge...depends on your bank...
if you can set up link between the two banks.

tj

Neal
October 9th, 2012, 14:16
Yes I found this out last month but as I have no plans to go back to the US I am stuck the way it is. $25 domestic and $40 International with Chase. My disability check which is govt going into my personal is done thru BKK Bank NY

travelerjim
October 9th, 2012, 14:37
Yes I found this out last month but as I have no plans to go back to the US I am stuck the way it is. $25 domestic and $40 International with Chase. My disability check which is govt going into my personal is done thru BKK Bank NY

db,
Does Chase charge for a bank to bank transfer within the US?

If not...then set up transfer ...not wire...from Chase USA to BKK Bk NYC...
via SWIFT...

Usually when you first set this up...online ...under bank to bank transfers...
your bank will send small deposit too BkkBk NYC..
you confirm the amount rec'd by Bkk Bk NYC...with Chase online....
then you should be able to do transfers for FREE.

Just an idea.

tj

ceejay
October 9th, 2012, 15:08
ceejay.. When i used TC's I used to get larger denominations ie ┬г100 and ┬г200 from co-op travel and they were American Express TC's, I'm not sure if they still do but they did a couple of years back, worth a look. :glasses7:
Thank you, Neo, Oliver and others who have suggested where I might get these high denomination TC's. On the suggestion of Jollyjacktar, I went to my local Post Office, and they ordered the ┬г200 ones for me. They provided a good service, and contacted me by phone when the cheques were ready. They charge 1.5% commission on sterling TC's (with a cap at ┬г50 total) as compared to 2% plus a ┬г1.00 transaction fee for using my ATM card abroad, so I am marginally better off by using TC's, especially as you get a better rate with them than for cash or ATM transactions.
Oliver's right that it can take a bit longer to change them.They make some sort of check now, either online or by phone, I guess to make sure they are genuine/not stolen, which used not to happen. It depends on where you are, what branch of which bank and the individual who serves you. A few years back, in Surin, I changed some at a local branch of K-bank. There were two windows open, and the place was full of local people waiting on a ticket queuing system. The cashier didn't seem familiar with TC's and she asked her colleague to check them over. Then they both closed their windows and went off into a back office, leaving everybody in the place waiting and me standing there as the obvious cause of delay to everyone! I was starting to feel very unpopular by the time they came back (was starting to be unpopular too, according to the comments passed, as translated by a Thai companion). A few days later, I went to the main branch of Bangkok Bank in Surin and it was all very different. They had a separate office section for FX transactions, and it was all dealt with much more quickly.
Same with exchanging cash, though. I usually take a few hundred in cash, and exchange this at the Bangkok Bank on Surawong. They run the notes through a machine to check them and are usually very quick. On the other hand the last time I changed ┬г500 at the SCB branch in the Tuk Com Building in Pattaya (surely no stranger to tourist transactions) the cashier treated the notes like so many unexploded bombs. She checked each note, front and back, against a card with photos of the notes on it. She used some sort of UV lamp on each one. She held them up to the light. She ran her finger down the metal thread of each one. Then she went through the whole procedure a second time and then a third. I thought she was going to rub the ink off them.
The only general conclusion I'd draw, from a very limited sample, is that Bangkok Bank seem have, in my experience, the best trained staff.

Oliver
October 9th, 2012, 16:40
That is correct but sometimes the process can be much worse than " a bit longer." I find that it takes a minute or two at the airport but (for example) at the local TMB, you can wait a good four or five minutes while phone checks are made. Customers in a queue behind you may be equally irritated.
The other minuses I've already alluded to- firstly that the independent exchange places don't accept t/cs and, secondly, that the banks don't open to 1100....usually.