PDA

View Full Version : Almost painful to watch

arsenal
September 2nd, 2012, 10:41
The tree destruction along Beach Road is almost the worst thing I have ever seeen a local government do. Looking at some of the pictures on Google Earth and comparing it with how it now looks is a truly depressing experience.

September 3rd, 2012, 01:22
A pic would help.

Anybody?

Halfhansum
September 3rd, 2012, 02:00
A pic would help.

Anybody?

http://www.pattayamail.com/localnews/ve ... ming-15861 (http://www.pattayamail.com/localnews/vendors-applaud-beach-tree-trimming-15861)

Looks horrific ..Nothing to stop the burning sun now... Anyone know if these trees are fast growing ??

Captain Swing
September 3rd, 2012, 02:09
I haven't seen the tree-trimming myself, but I have to ask: Wasn't there an almost identical uproar a few years ago when the trees along the Dongtan Beach walkway (we don't seem to call that the Yellow Brick Road anymore) were similarly trimmed? And didn't some posters have to acknowledge, a few months later, that the trees were growing back just fine and maybe the tree-trimmers really did have some clue what they were doing? And don't they look fine today, the outrage long forgotten? Maybe I'm remembering wrong, or maybe this situation is worse. Is it?

Impulse
September 3rd, 2012, 03:45
From the looks of that photo.....those trees will take many years to grow back. That shade gave some relief to the intense heat. Looks like they went way overboard trimming away imho.

arsenal
September 3rd, 2012, 05:25
The trees on Dongtan were trimmed but the ones on Beach Road appear to be just trunks now. Why would anyone do that.

cdnmatt
September 3rd, 2012, 09:24
Why would anyone do that.

Wasn't it because there was/is too much crime in that area? With the trees cut down, the police and everyone else can now easily see what's going on, hence less crime.

arsenal
September 3rd, 2012, 12:25
Cdnmatt: I do believe that crime was the reason stated. However I can't believe that this was the best solution. Pattaya is supposed to be a tropical resort and tropical resorts have trees.

latintopxxx
September 3rd, 2012, 16:49
ofcourse they will grow back, place is tropical, throw a stick on the ground and before you can jump over it, it has sprung roots. What do you expect, bonzai type weekly manicuring? A good trim every 2 years does the job just fine. As for tropical resort...get real....

arsenal
September 3rd, 2012, 18:44
Latinpoxxxx: Tropical weather seasons, balmy evenings, beach bars and restaurants, dusky ladies, stunning sunsets, exotic dishes and 70 year old men fetchingly dressed in a thong. What more do you want?

stevehadders
September 3rd, 2012, 20:20
Daboss in a grass skirt?

latintopxxx
September 3rd, 2012, 23:31
oh honestly...what do I care about some silly trees, only go to pats for one thing and its certainly not the trees or tropical ambiance...if you are so desperate for some shade get an umbrella...

arsenal
September 4th, 2012, 20:28
Latinpoxxx: Well if you don't care about some silly trees then don't post on a thread about trees. Simple really.

thrillbill
September 4th, 2012, 20:52
I rent a condo across from Beach Road and I am also shocked that such a shoddy job would be conducted by the city. The reason for cutting the shade trees that grow naturally along the beach (and provide shade and helps to prevent erosion) according to city hall is to provide enough light for the security cameras to film theives of the night and to discourage crime and prostitution. Well, there is a lot more lighting at night since the trees have been "trimmed" --as the city calls it (I call it hacked) but all it has done is enable for the night time shopper to see his "one night " lady better. Prevents crime with drunks after 2am in the morning? I doubt it. During the day, there is no shade so the walk is hotter and the promenade has lost its charm. I have lived here for 8 years and am always shocked with some of the city councils' decisions... not much thought in projects. Look at the light crossings places on Beach Road and 2nd Road. Cost the tax payer millions but these pedestrian walk-way lights are turned off on weekends and the drivers do not obey them. Next, the Dolphin lights on North Pattaya.... way too many and not all of the lights work on the Dolphin lamp post. City Hall plans to widen Beach Road to one more lane which will strip away 4 meters from the already narrow Beach Road promenade. Then re-do the walkway area (again). If the clueless city officials had it their way 100% , they would flatten the walkway , get rid of all the trees and rent out the area for vendors. These "city officials" do not walk around the city to observe the broken sidewalks garbage laying around, speeding traffic on Beach Road, jet ski scams, or the important treasure a tree lined beach promenade is along Pattaya Bay. They look at tourists and farangs living in Pattaya as only "ting tongs" to make money from. I always thought Buddhism encouraged the appreciation of nature...including trees, but I guess not. The solution to keep the night time crime down is to have the local police do some foot patrol. But since the police department and city hall do not work together ,
asking for police help is useless just like asking them to give tickets to speeding busses and SUV's down Beach Road and 2nd Road, easier to arrest the poor guy on the motor bike for not wearing a helmet or not having the proper papers. :salute: