PDA

View Full Version : Koh Samed

Nabaat
September 1st, 2012, 22:42
Anyone have experience of...and can help in do's and don'ts of the place ?

TravellerDave
September 2nd, 2012, 02:35
If you intending to stay overnight it's better to go mid week. It's popular with Thais from Bangkok at the weekends and consequently accommodation is more expensive then and sometimes hard to find. I have been several times mid week and sorted out a room on arrival at a good price.

Dodger
September 2nd, 2012, 15:17
Nabaat,

Remember it's an island...dress light...bring mosie repellent...bring boy(s).

Most of the villas you can rent are same/same...basic furnishings, close to the beach, etc., and no problem for gays. With the exception of a few bars in Saikaw (sp?) the only town on Samet, the island goes to sleep shortly after sun down and most visitors enjoy early moring strolls along the shores. Serentity is the best offereing.

Bringing a boy along is highly receommened unless in fact you just want to kick back and relax for a few days alone. The most fun I've had there was when I asked my bf to invite of a few of his friends along...much more sanook with a small group, although also enjoyed the romantic aspects of just being alone with him a few times as well.

You can catch a taxi (pick up truck) from any of the beach-front hotels which can take you to the other side of the island to a resort called Aou Prao...highly recemmended. Aua Prao has its own private cove with the best coral reefs for snorkeling and the shoreline there is most scenic on the island. One night at Aou Prao costs about 3,700 baht for that very reason. You don't have to be a guest to swim at their beach or enjoy the snorkeling. The ride through the island interior (jungle) in the back of a pickup truck is a blast.

Of course you will catch the ferry boat in Ban Pai Harbor (Rayong) to get there...takes about 40 minutes. Forget the speed boat crossings unless you want to bounce all over the place...like being on a rollar coaster at Disneyland. I had sex once in the hung nam on the ferry boat...a tight fit...but no complaints from me..his idea - not mine.

The only night life I found was in Saikow, with the exception of some of the larger resorts who have open aire bars and play light music at night (mostly on the Auo Prao side of the island).

They charge a tax for farnag visitors that you will have to pay the minute you step off the ferry boat. It was 200 baht at the time.

Check the screens in the windows of your villa before you accept the room. If there are any holes in the screens refuse the room and ask for another room unless you want mosies biting your ass when your trying to enjoy sex. And whatever you do wear white - or light colored shorts and tees. I watched this one farang strolling along the ocean once with his girlfriend and he was wearing black shorts, black baseball hat and matching black t-shirt looking like Darth Vadar on his honeymoon.

Enjoy you trip.

September 2nd, 2012, 15:24
I agree that Saikaew has the only night life, and that's limited, l can't remember the name of the bar but there was one open quite late which had a decent number of young gay men In attendance. I stayed at the Saikaew Resort which has some nice private bungalows on and close to the beach. I found it to be gay friendly in the same way most other Thai resorts are - they don't care if you're gay or like females. Samed is definitely a place to do very little.

TravellerDave
September 2nd, 2012, 22:20
Malibu Tour in Pattaya do packages - bus to Ban Phrea, boat and bungalow accommodation if you don't want the hassle of sorting this out yourself. They also do day trips - back to Pats in the evening, so you could decide if you liked it before committing to a longer stay.
I would echo the advice about taking a boy with you, as you would be lucky to find a bed companion on the island.
It's a nice break from the mayhem of Pattaya, but it's not cheap, when you stay in a comfortable resort.

martin911
September 4th, 2012, 05:01
Great place to go for a few days - Its very lively there fri/sat nites -the open air club/disco( SilverSands ) is FULL of gay guys on those nites but pretty empty come sunday nites --
And the Gay guys that you will encounter in Samed( apart from a few locals ) are pretty much of the older uni/guys with jobs bkk crowd --not the skinny fem pattaya type --
But it is very very cruisey -all along the beach well into the early hours !! --Great fun to be had !!!!

We als stay at Jep Bungaloes (a 5/6 min stroll away from Silversands ) -- Basic but clean/big air con/mos free stand alone chalet type accommodation(2 double beds) that are situated just back from beach ,and he (Jep) doesnt mind too much come check out time if you need a few hours of darkness before going back on the boat - 2 or 3 pm (on sunday/mondays ) wasnt a prob for him !!
Has a decent restaurant on the beach attached also !!

The beaches/waters are simply beautiful !!! -- and the area near SilverSand resort are v busy at nite -- 4/5 good restaurants that do fresh barbeque(bill for 6 well under 2000 ) ,tables in the sand , all have beach mats with cushions to relax on and in evenings there are groups of really good fire dancers entertaining the crowds !!
The speed boats are bumpy as Dodger says but if there is a group of 5/6 of you (and you als meet more people looking to share at the quays ) it becomes a cheaper option -AND it will drop you off right on the beach in front of whichever place you are staying in --and when you want to go back you just call an hour or so beforehand and back same way -from the beach !!

gaymandenmark
September 4th, 2012, 06:00
I agrre with you, Silver Sand Beach Disco is very funny, even if it has changed in the last couple of years. Before is was more laid back than today, but there is still a lot of working boys and girls from Patty and Bangkok, as well as other people, just wanting to have fun. What is nice is that everyone is dancing and having fun and many forget their status.
Never the less it is the place to hang out and not the nothern part of the island.
I normally stay at Tub Tim, and I can promise it is not like being in a 4 star resort or hotel, sometimes I have sand in the room, if you don't like that, just stay away.
But what the hell I am in Koh Samed.
BTW the resort has some of the best and romantic restaurant on Samet, but don't tell it to anyone, please? . :hello2:

martin911
September 4th, 2012, 06:18
Yes nites in front of Silversands is just that - lots and lots of fun
Is tub tim walking distance from SilverS ??

The sand in the room thing is part and parcel of a weekend there -the more the better !! -!!! especially if there was one or two new pairs of sand covered sandals outside your room door in the morning -my then bf als took pictures of the sandals (if we had been lucky ) :laughing3:

gaymandenmark
September 4th, 2012, 06:30
Yes nites in front of Silversands is just that - lots and lots of fun
Is tub tim walking distance from SilverS ??

The sand in the room thing is part and parcel of a weekend there -the more the better !! -!!! especially if there was one or two new pairs of sand covered sandals outside your room door in the morning -my then bf als took pictures of the sandals (if we had been lucky ) :laughing3:

Yes you it is just 5-10 minutes south of Silver Sand, I don't think you have to climbe, but take care of your feet and maybe take some light.
Oh I would like to be there. :love4:

gaymandenmark
September 4th, 2012, 06:46
I would also say, don't agree with the people on the pier to pay for a bungalow.
It is okay to take one night but never more, just look around.

And most important, take a weekday before the weekend.

Alex303
December 25th, 2012, 16:09
Going to be staying on Koh Samet for a few days in March with the BF from Uni and have been studying the 'Tub Tim' website...am i right in thinking the 'N class' bungalows are the better ones to go for ?

Also any experience of the 'Samed Villa Resort' on the next beach along?...also looks nice and some of its reviews are better than Tub Tim

I've stayed on Diamond Beach before years ago (back in my back-packing days)...but looking for something a bit more chilled out & romantic now

anonone
December 25th, 2012, 18:11
Hi Alex.
During my last visit (late November), I took BF to Koh Samed for a couple of nights, just after Loy Krathong. We stayed at Samed Villa Resorts, in their "best" class of room, closest to the beach.

Room was clean and pretty nice, service was prompt but not especially personal. It was not as beach front as I would have thought...a 2 minute stroll down the pathway....but the view was pretty nice. Morning breakfast (ours was included) was pretty basic, but adequate.

Very close and convenient to Silver Sand bar, which seemed to be the ONE night life spot in the area. Typical evening is to stroll down the beach, stop at one of the many restaurants set up on the beach for dinner, stroll to watch the fire show on the beach, then back to Silver Sand for some drinking and dancing. Much busier on the weekends, which was a good thing. More energy and gays in town to party.

Overall, I am glad we took the trip, though I don't think we will go back anytime soon. Have a great time.

Alex303
December 25th, 2012, 20:17
Hi Anonone, thanks for the info...its much apprecaited.

I'm 99% certain that i'll book up one of the beach front facing individual bangalows (i think these are the ones that your describing), the BF's had a look at some pics & info i sent him & approves as well....so if he's happy i'm happy! I can see what you're saying about it being a little bit back from the beach and have pointed this out to him also but he likes being surrounded by nature.

many thanks again &
Merry Christmas!