PDA

View Full Version : Thailand - Where the BOYS are.

Dodger
August 31st, 2012, 05:53
IтАЩve been sketching out plans for my next 3 month adventure focused on taking several side trips away from my humble dwelling in Pattaya to explore (or re-explore) the real Thailand. IтАЩve always felt that the best part of Pattaya is the fact that itтАЩs so close to Thailand тАУ and I plan to enjoy this reality again for all itтАЩs worth.

ItтАЩs been a while since IтАЩve been able to plan my holidays like this and IтАЩm thrilled about the opportunity to toss my trusty backpack on again and let the winds blow me where they will.

My primary objective is to travel to places at a time when local festivals and events are taking place to ensure that there will be BOYZ in abundance, which of course is at the core of my interests. All trip durations will be between 3-5 days (no long trips in the plans), where my backpack is all IтАЩll need. The following places/venues are being considered:

Uttaradit Pee Talok Parade тАУ October 12
Uttaradit is located in lower northern Thailand, is a University town, plenty of country boys, and has a nice farang style hotel called Seeharaj which houses the one-and-only disco in Uttaradit called the Crystal Palm. I visited Uttaradit once with a boy I met on Thailandout and had a great time, although always wanted to make the return trip alone. The local gay boys congregate at the Crystal Palm on Friday and Saturday nights.
The annual тАЬPee Talok ParadeтАЭ is an event which draws a large crowd where the Thais make funny looking ghost masks for the parade which they have been doing for the last 200 years. To make the ghost masks, they use recycled material such as woven bamboo baskets and old robes belonging to monks. This year the main activities will take place on Wednesday 12th October.

Loy Krathong Sukothai тАУ November 28
Loy Krathong will take place on November 28th this year and Sukothai is where Loy Kratong was first started many BuddhaтАЩs ago. LK in Sukothai draws thousands of visitors from surrounding provinces and holds the # 1 slot for the place to be on Loy Krathong. Hopefully I can find someone to help me decorate my banana boat, or at least help me decorate my banana.

River Kwai Bridge Festival тАУ Late November
This annual event is held in Kanchanaburi during the end of November-early December and also packs a large crowd. IтАЩve never visited Kanchanburi during the time that this event was taking place but have been told that itтАЩs quite the experience: Torch lights placed along the banks of the Kwai River, food, drink, parties, and 2 or 3 nights of river-front festivals commemorating the Bridge тАУ the River тАУ the Death Railroad тАУ and historical significance. I plan to rent a floating villa and wonтАЩt forget to pack my own portable coffee maker for those hangovers.

Buri Ram Long Boat Races - First Week of November
I enjoyed this event many years ago and have always wanted a re-play. If you want to see hundreds of Isaan country boys enjoying themselves, getting mau, walking around with their shorts dangling from their hips, this is the place. Easy to get to on the VIP bus from the PTY station and nice looms can be found for under 500 baht night. As IтАЩm sure you know, many of the working boys in PTY are from Buri Ram and just the tip of the iceberg. If I were a bar owner and wanted to recruit some new talent this would be one of the first places IтАЩd start looking. IтАЩm sure IтАЩll enjoy the boat races, but the spectators are what my camera will be focused on. The competition is held on the Mun River when the water level is highest. Teams race to vie for a trophy awarded by His Majesty the King and H.R.H. Princess Maha Chakri Sirindhorn.

Surin Elephant Roundup тАУ Late November
IтАЩve had the opportunity to attend this event twice in the past 8 years and enjoyed it to the max. IтАЩm an elephant lover at heart and just love seeing the mahouts work their magic. For those who donтАЩt know, Surin is located in the heart of Isaan and also easy to get to via the PTY VIP bus which is about an 8 hour ride. Plenty of small hotels in Surin and great Isaan food served at literally hundreds of stalls set up in and around the Roundup grounds. I always wondered what it would be like to go to this event alone тАУ as there are as many тАЬsmilesтАЭ as there are elephants. Elephants of course are honored in Thailand for their wisdom and intelligence. That, coupled with the fact that they have thick skin, nicely pronounced trunks and never forget, makes them quite similar to Thai boys.

My travel plans are very simple: Travel alone тАУ pack light тАУ leave return dates flexible тАУ and enjoy Thailand.

morse
August 31st, 2012, 08:47
on Not to quibble, but it will be interesting to see how the folks in UnUttaradit reconcile the "main event" with Wednesday and October 12. I had to check my flight schedule since I arrive on Octber 12. A Friday. That being said, I like your approach to visiting Thailand. It is very much my way of travel and one meets the most interesting Thais. Kudos to you.

fedssocr
August 31st, 2012, 10:38
Loy Krathong in Phitsanulok is quite interesting as well. They put up these neat colored light displays around town in the lead up to the holiday.

Neal
August 31st, 2012, 11:13
I heard of Loy Krathong for many years prior to actually being here for it. Was a very nice and beautiful experience to be on the beach and see all of the firework displays. Many vendors have pig roasts for a small fee and you go to a section, have fun and sit and watch. Happy Place is closed always that evening so that all the boys can go down to our section on the beach (#016) and party and drink and enjoy the pig roast.
Come and join us. section 16 blue chairs just after Tui's Place.

PeterUK
August 31st, 2012, 13:09
IтАЩve always felt that the best part of Pattaya is the fact that itтАЩs so close to Thailand

Good line, Dodger, I like it. And some excellent trip ideas too.

christianpfc
September 1st, 2012, 00:59
That sounds great! I would love to do the same, but somehow I find it difficult to get away from Bangkok and Pattaya, maybe next time. What kind of transport do you use?

Manforallseasons
September 1st, 2012, 02:45
That sounds great! I would love to do the same, but somehow I find it difficult to get away from Bangkok and Pattaya, maybe next time. What kind of transport do you use?

Might I recommend a V1 or V2 depending on your particular needs!

joe552
September 1st, 2012, 03:15
nice one, Manforallseasons, but I wonder if your reference will go straight over his head? :sign5:

hope you have a great trip, Dodger. look forward to your reports.

gregvc
September 1st, 2012, 15:44
V1 was the infamous HIV cure touted in Thailand in the early 2000s. It died just like the people taking it. Still Thailnad has a relatively good HIV treatment system unless you fail the first regimen. PLenty of Pattaya guys can keep working the beach and bars if they take their meds as prescribed.

Dodger
September 1st, 2012, 17:04
christianpfc wrote:

What kind of transport do you use?

Uttaradit: Train from BKK to Phitsanulok - local bus from Phitsanulok to Uttaradit (only 60km)

Sukothai: Night train from BKK.

Kanchanaburi: Death Railway - BKK Thonburi Station - only rickety 3rd class seating but the best way to experience River Kwai. (100 baht)

Buri Ram: VIP Bus PTY/Sukumvit RD Station. Comfortable and <300 baht.

Surin: Same as Buri Ram

I get my fill of air travel when working back here in the States and will avoid airplanes like the plague. I much prefer swapping speed and comfort for the experience of traveling Thai-style.

christianpfc
September 2nd, 2012, 03:37
V1 was the infamous HIV cure touted in Thailand in the early 2000s.

I think Manforallreasons meant the "Vergeltungswaffe" (retaliation weapon) V1 and V2 used during WWII by Germany.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/V-weapons

(It's not excessively funny, but I don't mind being at the receiving end of a joke, even if it's a lame one.)

Buri Ram: VIP Bus PTY/Sukumvit RD Station. Comfortable and <300 baht.

300 Baht from Pattaya to Buri Ram by bus? I have been conned! I invited a Thai friend from Buri Ram to meet me in Pattaya and gave him 1200 for a return trip (assuming the return will cost again 600 Baht). Or did I misunderstand and the 600 Baht was already return price? Anyway, the money was well spend and I will not ask him to return the change.

When in Thailand, I prefer public transport, Thai style, too.

Dodger
September 2nd, 2012, 04:51
christianpfc wrote:

300 Baht from Pattaya to Buri Ram by bus? I have been conned!

Maybe he's right. It's been a few years since I've taken the VIP bus and the price of a ticket may have gone up.

If you think he's lieing - you just may need to give him a good tongue lashing.

pong
September 2nd, 2012, 20:09
hello dodger, as for LoyKratong I would rather advise to go ChiangMai-sky floats-those burning lampoons (or whatever they are called in English) lovely parades (where all the high schools present their very best and of course good-looking males+females to carry the floats- parades in the evenings, when it can be really chilly), and much more fall-back in case you do not bump into someone as Sukhothai will have to offer.