View Full Version : A Mexican Apology From DaBoss

Neal
August 29th, 2012, 15:47
Well where do I start?

Today one of the boyfriends wanted to go to the beach so off I went. I have been a loyal customer to Sam not going elsewhere and enjoying the food as it is a little taste of Mexico for about a year now. I have noticed that in the last several months and recommended by our food critic at large Narakamak the new Sunrise Tacos. Well actually backing up a tad I was really in the mood for Italian and was looking for this Italian place that he recommended when out of the corner of my eye I spotted Sunrise Tacos again. Now this brightly decorated restaurant is located just prior to the police box and after the big statue.

Since I did not see the Italian I decided to finally be a traitor and sneak into Sunrise Taco to give it a try. Give it a try?! Well first I was overwhelmed by the menu and pictures! It was as if I were back in the Sothwest USA with all my Mexican favorites. I started to order one and then changed to another and yet another. Then I decided to order all three and sample them and if I liked them, well I can always take home leftovers as one of my other boyfriends loves falang food.

The food came and the portions were huge! Everything homemade, made to order and so good it was incredible! Ok Narakmak, I sincerly apologize, Sunrise Tacos is number 1 hands down and not even close to the others. Sorry Sam.

I have to really apologize for not trying this one sooner and thinking that Narakmak was wrong, this is a must try if you enjoy Mexican food or want to try true Mexican. Doesn't have to be hot or spicy and the salsa's are amazing. There had to have been like 12 different kinds. You are right Narakmak, the salsa alone is worth the trip. Yes they deliver! They are in the WOW delivery catalog.

:kap:

SoiVC Slut-old
August 29th, 2012, 16:17
I gave up eating at Sams awhile back. He , like Richard from Amour, would hang out at your table and not let you eat in peace. I got tired of hearing all his life stories.

Neal
August 29th, 2012, 16:59
I always knew that of Richard but never experienced that of Sam. He always seemed very pleasant and accommodating. His little pies are better than Sunrise Taco but as I said, the menu, pictures and the food with the quality, size and taste are unbeatable. I am sure the shells are either made at their Pattaya location od shipped from their Bangkok location. Either way, a place NOT to be missed.

Up2U
August 29th, 2012, 17:55
I haven't been there but there is small Sunrise Tacos at Big C Pattaya Klang. Owner is looking for a location at Cental mall too.

kjun12
August 30th, 2012, 05:59
Unfortunately, I notice that there is quite a bit of difference in the food served at different locations of Sunrise Taco. Some are much better than others but none are really bad. For some reason, the one on Sukhumvit in Bangkok serves food that is often too dry as though it had been sitting out and reheated too many times.

August 30th, 2012, 18:21
Surprisingly my 'local' mall which Is about 25km from my home has a sunrise tacos place, which l now must try after that write up.

Narakmak
September 27th, 2012, 22:30
In Pattaya, the Sunrise place in Jomtien is the place to go as opposed to the Pattaya Klang food court location.
That is because of the abundant salsa bar and full menu at Jomtien. Also free chips with all orders at Jomtien.
At the food court, the chips are either extra or as paid items on set meals. Also there you get only one salsa per order.
As it is low season, sometimes some of the salsa items are depleted. Not to worry. Just ask and they will replenish anything you want on request.
Sunrise isn't perfect. As in all restaurants in Thailand, there is a good bit of inconsistency. Today I had a custom burrito that was really, really good. Sometimes a similar order, not so good. Maybe depends on the cook, freshness of ingredients, dumb luck, etc.

The custom burrito I ordered was:
beef barbacoa (shredded BBQ beef)
rice
refritos
cilanto
potato and corn
sour cream ON THE SIDE (important or your burrito will be cold). You can also choose cheese.
With the free chips and salsa bar, at about 300 baht with water including all the plus plus Bs, I consider this almost a bargain.

BTW, to order a custom burrito or tacos you must fill out the paper form that they have sometimes on some tables. So in effect, you have to know about it. In my view, the custom burrito is the way to go! You will get a much better burrito for your taste as opposed to ordering the few generic burrito offerings. Also, just forget the grilled chicken and grilled beef. They are not authentic and don't taste grilled at all, and it is cheap beef as well. The carnitas is not bad but too sweet. The al pastor pork is not authentic but not bad. I don't like ground beef because that is too Tex Mex for my taste but lots of people like it. The fish tacos are quite nice but be sure to order the white gloppy sauce on the side. I think the best meat by far is the shredded beef barbacoa.

Now the warning. Be patient with this restaurant. Some of the staff are surly. They sometimes freak out if you ask for anything special.
Also, beware of the quessadillas. I don't order them there but others have said they have almost no cheese.
I didn't believe it before but recently ordered their new menu item, Chile Relleno platter, which wasn't bad (and so unusual for Thailand!) but it was described on the menu as having beef AND cheese.
I saw only cheap ground beef. I saw no cheese. I tasted no cheese. I complained loudly and the chef came out and said there was "a little bit" of cheese in it but it had melted so you couldn't see it. This as I was pointing the opened relleno to his face where it was obvious it was all beef. He told me the corporate instructors told him to cook it this way so not his fault. As many know, this dish is classically a vegetarian cheese dish. I don't mind if they want to offer a cheaper dish and not have cheese but it is not cool to say it has cheese, when it doesn't. Now you know. Too bad. I would be happy to pay more for an abundant all cheese version but alas it isn't on the menu.

netrix
September 29th, 2012, 21:24
Love Sunrise Tacos. Been going there in BKK for years. Been to the new one in Jomtien a few times and it's great.

BUT...

I still love Tequila Reef on Soi 7 the best! Better than Mike's. http://www.tequilareefpattaya.com/
I'll take you some time DaBoss, my treat :) Their flavoured margarita's are amazing too. Chips and salsa are
not free but chips are better than Sunrise.

Neal
September 29th, 2012, 22:06
Thanks but no thanks Netrix. I have been there and tried that twice. They are, in my opinion tied with the Blue Parrot which is due to close in the next month or two, for the worst two Mexicazn Restaurants in Pattaya and I fully agree. I also don't go to a Mexican Restaurant just for thier Margaritas.

Narakmak
September 30th, 2012, 02:35
:party
Correctomundo

Neal
September 30th, 2012, 03:00
Narakmak, who do you think is correct as there were two posts? One which said Tequilla Reef was not only good but even better than Mikes or Sunrise Taco?
Don't leave us hanging! :crybaby:

Narakmak
September 30th, 2012, 10:47
DaBoss is correct.