PDA

View Full Version : Thais and Directions

kjun12
August 29th, 2012, 07:24
The inability of Thai people to give directions is legendary, but last night I suffered while listening to my lover try to explain to a visitor how to get to the Myanmar Embassy.

After listening to over one-half hour of talk by him to our guests, who are Farang, I just asked that he just draw a simple map for them. Prior to this, the gibberish he was talking was just confusing them.

The most sad part of all of this is that my lover is not some kid with a sub par education. He is 44 years old banker with a university education. Yet, he can not give simple directions to a destination. As much as I would like to understand the reason for this, I cannot. What the hell is the cause of this?

Up2U
August 29th, 2012, 07:35
Map reading and/or giving directions is not taught in school. I was teaching English to Thais recently and nobody good point north, south, east or west.

francois
August 29th, 2012, 08:01
. I was teaching English to Thais recently and nobody good point north, south, east or west.

Did you teach spelling? 555

Patexpat
August 29th, 2012, 11:29
Even after serving a spell in the army, my ex could not read a map - or even follow directions (in Thai) from a GPS system ....

egel
August 30th, 2012, 01:30
Same goes for maps. Ever seen a decent map in Thailand?!

Brad the Impala
August 30th, 2012, 02:57
My partner is one of the best map readers I have ever met.

TravellerDave
August 30th, 2012, 12:59
I have asked boys to show me on a map the location of their home without success. To them it's just a pretty picture.

August 30th, 2012, 18:11
Some can, some can't. I asked at least four Thais for directions today - to different places - and they were all spot on, even the 'down there on the right.'