PDA

View Full Version : How to: Civil Partnership in Vietnam

Nabaat
August 28th, 2012, 21:33
We have just returned from Hanoi were we completed our Civil Partnership. A simple and painless task, just thought others might be planning this and so here is how we did it:

Off to the Local Amphur for a letter stating that the Thai is not married, get it certified by a local Lawyer and then Stamped and Sealed at the Passport Office in Bangkok. Seems strange, but the department is on the upper floor of the Passport Office. Time: 1 hour in Banlangmuang, 1 day for certifying, 1 hour for stamp in BKK.

Book the Hotel Asia Star in Hanoi for 9 days, (great deal through Agoda for $19 per night), because you have to be resident in Vietnam for 7 days, the first and last don't count. Contact the Embassy a couple of days before hand so they are expecting you, and deposit your paperwork with them. There is a simple downloadable form from the Embassy website in Vietnam which you have to complete.

Then sit back and wait 14 days for no-objections to your proposal to be raised. The Embassy will contact you and confirm all is well, and arrange a time and place mutually convenient for you all within 3 months. Return to Hanoi, pop-in the Embassy, sign the form and that is it. You also need 2 witnesses, we took some friends with us, but the Hotel had also arranged 2 locals for us incase our friends could not attend (very nice of them).

Flew with Vietnam Air 7100 rtn....ok for a 2 hour hop...no inflight entertainment etc. This time used Qatar as they have a promotion, 6400 rtn,beautiful flight, bulkhead seats that even my 180cm frame could stretch fully out in, good inflight movies, music...and they don't switch it off 30 mins before landing, I was still watching The Avengers as we taxied to the Gate :happy7:

Hotel Asia Star used for both trips, very friendly and attentative...booked all trips, taxis, collections etc. Will defo use them again when we return to Vietnam later this year. Night Porter is particularly friendly :happy7:

What to do for 9 days in Vietnam: Sap Ha on the overnight train for 3 days in the mountains, Ha Long bay for 2 nights and the rest eating good food and discovering the Old Quarter of Hanoi.

So now we are a happily CP couple I have to put all my bar nights behind me :crybaby: .....but Him Indoors said "..it better you go out and not bother me" :party

so will being see DaBoss and The Boys very soon.

August 28th, 2012, 22:17
Thanks for this - very interesting from a personal point of view.

Can I ask what are the practical benefits of the Civil Partnership, other than the obvious "committment" aspect?

For example - I assume you are a Westerner? Maybe I assume too much - but anyway -is the Civil Partnership you have entered into recognised in your own Country in terms of e.g. giving the Thai boy any right to a Visa for your Country? And what Country is that?

In my own case, my BF is SE Asian but not Thai - but my understanding of the situation is that were I to go to Vietnam and register a Civil Partnership there (which I didn't even know was possible until I read your post!), it would count for nothing in terms of him being entitled to join me in the UK.

Do you have any knowledge of the legal and immigration status of a Civil Partnership "made in Vietnam".

:hello2:

August 29th, 2012, 00:35
As no one else seems to have done it so far let me be the first to congratulate you on your CP and may you both share many happy years together ( the sooner we get this damned equal rights thing for gay people re marriage verus CP's sorted out the better and then we can just say congratulations on your marriage like we do to everyone else !!)

Nabaat
August 29th, 2012, 03:05
Thanks for the congrats NIrish, we are still on for December in Ireland :party

Legally...it is all recognised and reg in the UK by the Embassy. They advised us that they hold copies for 3 years in Vietnam, as well as sending the UK Reg documents through to the UK at the end of the year. you cna also have it reg in Scotland if you so wish.

After contacting my various Pension providers, it has ensured that he is entitled to all my benefits, including widows pension, death benefits etc for the future.

As to other SE Asian nationals, they will complete a CP aslong as there is a letter of no objection from the Asian partners country.

As to Visa....they are treated as applying for a Spouse Visa into the UK. If you meet all of the requirements you may be given permission to live in the UK for 2 1/2 years. After that time you can then apply to stay for a further 2 1/2 years and after 5 years, if you still meet all the requirements you can apply for settlement.

Hope this helps :happy7:

Daniel-old
August 29th, 2012, 03:59
Congratulations on your civil partnership Nabaat and thanks for an interesting read.

If you meet all of the requirements you may be given permission to live in the UK for 2 1/2 years. After that time you can then apply to stay for a further 2 1/2 years and after 5 years, if you still meet all the requirements you can apply for settlement.

I was under the impression that on arrival in the UK, the civil partner would be given leave to enter for an initial period of 27 months, and that towards the end of this period, he may apply for settled status.

August 29th, 2012, 05:58
I can't get my head round some of this:

I have been trying all sorts for 2 years to get my BF into the UK and I know straight guys who have legally married Thai women and who simply can not get them a Spouse Visa (that's even before the new"minimum earnings" rule).

I'm not calling anybody a liar, don't get me wrong - but if it's as simple for me as to go to Vietnam and enter into a CP with my BF then I don't know why I've been pissing about for 2 years trying to get Student Visas and the like- I must be a fucking idiot (no confirmation necessary)!!

One more thing:

....I was under the impression that on arrival in the UK, the civil partner would be given leave to enter ...

Maybe it's the way you've worded it Daniel (or the way I've misinterpreted you), but as far as I am aware you can't just "turn up" from SE Asia, you must have a Visa before you get on the plane.

Anyway congrats to Nabaat + partner. :alc:

I hope to have some news of my own within 3 or 4 weeks - but it could all go pear-shaped with a "Visa Refused" verdict - and frankly it wouldn't surprise me. :pukeright:

Daniel-old
August 29th, 2012, 06:04
Maybe it's the way you've worded it Daniel (or the way I've misinterpreted you), but as far as I am aware you can't just "turn up" from SE Asia, you must have a Visa before you get on the plane.

Agreed! Before a civil partner travels to the UK, he will need to obtain entry clearance from the nearest British embassy or High Commission in the country in which he is living.

Nabaat
August 29th, 2012, 07:27
Here is the link for the Documents required:

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/visas ... documents/ (http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/visas-immigration/partners-families/citizens-settled/spouse-cp/documents/)

....hope they help. For info, Ton has had 3 visa's over the last 18 months for the UK....which only took 3 days each time to acquire. He only holds land and a bank account, with his sole income coming from me....but never had a problem applying.

August 29th, 2012, 07:45
wow 3 visas in 18 months with just a bit of land and no fixed job etc, Scots I can just feel you about to blow a huge gasket now at the frustration you've been going through trying to achieve the same outcome without any success - perhaps Nabatt needs to start selling his services to us all as a Visa agent !!! :-)

August 29th, 2012, 09:34
NIrish - all my gaskets blew out long ago with the UK Visa process, and even my big end isn't what it used to be.
In fact I'm heading towards it being a case of "piston broke"

:occasion9:

August 29th, 2012, 14:35
Still cant work out why you bothered from what you say you boyfriend could not care less.

Nabaat
August 29th, 2012, 15:55
...just for info, when we applied for his UK Visa's I enclosed copy of my Thai Bank Account and on=line bank transfers i had sent to him over the last 3 years.....never been easier. in fact the last one was applied for on Tuesday and we collected it Wed at 15.00 :happy7:

UncleSam
August 30th, 2012, 19:40
Can I ask a few questions? Why does a UK and Thai couple have to go to Vietnam to create a Civil Partnership when the UK guy and his bf seem to have the right to do that in the UK? Are there some sort of barriers to CP in the UK between you two? Does your CP have any legal effect in Thailand?

Marsilius
August 31st, 2012, 15:37
I don't think that they would need to go back to Vietnam to get a divorce. Courts in the UK are frequently used by foreigners to obtain divorces (usually initiated in the UK by wives because British courts tend to award more generous financial settlements on them), even when the original marriage was contracted abroad.

billyhouston
September 1st, 2012, 03:48
Can I ask a few questions? Why does a UK and Thai couple have to go to Vietnam to create a Civil Partnership when the UK guy and his bf seem to have the right to do that in the UK? Are there some sort of barriers to CP in the UK between you two? Does your CP have any legal effect in Thailand?

In the absence of a reply, I'll take a shot at this. Getting a visa for the UK is hard enough even with a civil partnership and even more difficult without. A civil partnership in Vietnam is recognised in UK and should ease the way to entry permission. As I understand it, civil partnerships are not recognised in Thailand but...........

September 3rd, 2012, 16:17
Billyhouston has it spot on as far as a general explantion is concerned.

However, it seems (from what the OP has said) that the BF in this case has had no problems getting a UK Visa (3 already) - so yes, it does rather beg the question of why not just do the CP in the UK where there is no language or logistical problems, and where there can not be even a hint of a problem over recognition. :dontknow:

Unless of course the OP is not resident in the UK and Vietnam is in fact more convenient.

ceejay
September 4th, 2012, 14:23
The civil partnership registration is actually carried out by the British Embassy in Vietnam, under British law (which removes any issues of recognition):
http://ukinvietnam.fco.gov.uk/en/help-f ... rtnerships (http://ukinvietnam.fco.gov.uk/en/help-for-british-nationals/living-in-vietnam/civil-partnerships)
Although it is legal under British law for any embassy to carry out civil partnerships, they generally don't do so in countries which object to it. I believe Thailand expressed an objection on "cultural" grounds, so Vietnam is the nearest embassy where it can be done.
Registering a civil partnership in the UK requires a specific type of visa:
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/visas ... pply-visa/ (http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/visas-immigration/partners-families/citizens-settled/fiancee-proposed-cp/apply-visa/)
Knowing how the UKBA work, I guess they don't make it easy to get this.

James Barnes
September 4th, 2012, 14:34
Excellent syncronicity!

The September issue of OUT in Thailand Magazine features an in depth report of how to obtain a CP in Vietnam!

Also, online (current issue) at www.out-in-thailand.com (http://www.out-in-thailand.com)

Enjoy!

Best wishes,

James.

billyhouston
September 5th, 2012, 04:17
Upon reading the informative article, I note that "It is not permissible in Thailand if your partner is Thai or in Vietnam if he is Vietnamese." Am I correct to infer that it is permissible in Thailand if your partner is not Thai?

James Barnes
September 5th, 2012, 09:16
Upon reading the informative article, I note that "It is not permissible in Thailand if your partner is Thai or in Vietnam if he is Vietnamese." Am I correct to infer that it is permissible in Thailand if your partner is not Thai?

Absolutely correct!

September 5th, 2012, 14:46
....Knowing how the UKBA work, I guess they don't make it easy to get this.

I know what you mean and I have my issues with UKBA - but throughout all of that I never forget that UKBA is merely carrying out instructions from a Government who choose to pander to xenophobic (and homophobic) Daily Mail/Sun readers.

I did not realise it would be the British Embassy who would record the CP, that's a good piece of information - and my thanks also to James Barnes organ!

:evil4:

James Barnes
September 5th, 2012, 14:59
Dear scottish-guy,

My organ is quivering at your attention!

Obviously, having completed the relatively simple CP process in Vietnam, your Thai partner will find it much easier to obtain a visa to visit the UK.

Though, how many Thais really enjoy their time in Blighty, is a completely new topic!

Best wishes,

James.

September 5th, 2012, 16:55
Well James, the only thing I'd possibly take issue with is the "finding it easier" to get a Visa part.

From experience it seems to me that every route to a UK Visa is tortuous - my God, in order to come here on a Student Visa just to study General English, you have to be fairly fluent already - as demonstrated by an approved test.
Now doesn't that beg the question that if you're fluent enough to pass a rigorous test (and even I failed some of the questions!!) then why the fuck would you want to come here to learn English? It's crazy.
I mean it's not as if you wouldn't be paying for the tuition in the UK - you'd be paying through the nose!

The latest obstacle is that even if you go down the CP or marriage route, then relatively high minimum income levels must be met before a Visa would be considered. Whilst this might not appear a big problem to many, it depends how you arrange your business affairs.

I've said before that my BF is not Thai, but I will say now that he is Vietnamese. Therefore the Vietnamese CP option just isn't.

More power to your organ though - but I have to say that I have tried to register twice and I've never had any email response.

James Barnes
September 5th, 2012, 17:16
Dear scottish-guy,

You are quire correct about the torturous process but I have been led to believe that if you have a UK CP, it is easier.

It is more than likely that you and your Vietnamese boyfriend can obtain a CP in the British embassy in Bangkok and if you would prefer to remain anonymous, I am perfectly happy to make enquiries there on your behalf.

I am very sorry to hear that you have had difficulty registering with us, but if you email webmaster@out-in-thailand.com or me direct, editor@out-in-thailand.com , we will get it sorted out for you.

Very best wishes,

James.

ceejay
September 6th, 2012, 04:29
The British Embassy in Bangkok is, I believe, not allowed to conduct any civil partnerships. They only have a page on marriage:
http://ukinthailand.fco.gov.uk/en/help- ... -marriage/ (http://ukinthailand.fco.gov.uk/en/help-for-british-nationals/living-in-thailand/how-register-marriage/)
However, the Philippines may offer an opportunity:
http://ukinthephilippines.fco.gov.uk/en ... artnership (http://ukinthephilippines.fco.gov.uk/en/help-for-british-nationals/living-in-the-philippines/how-register-civil-partnership)
I think your boyfriend could enter the Philippines without a visa, but you need to check that.

September 10th, 2012, 18:35
Thanks for info - see how something that starts out sounding quite simple suddenly becomes rather more complicated as it unfolds.

Anyway - BF is off to British Embassy in Hanoi tomorrow to hand over all the papers for his attempt at a Student Visa and in 2/3 weeks time it should either be a case of ecstatic success or depressing failure.

As the song says - Hope for the best, expect the worst - you could be Tolstoy, or Fannie Hurst !!

:party

James Barnes
September 10th, 2012, 18:46
Fingers crossed scottish-guy!

September 22nd, 2012, 16:40
I have read this forum with great interest. I was hoping somebody might have a spot of advice for us. My partner and I are currently in the UK. He is from Malaysia and I am British. We have failed to secure leave for him to stay here, his original application was for asylum based on his sexuality, this was rejected by the UKBA. After numerous appeals we are now stuck in limbo, with an appeal waiting to be heard, and no status for him.

That's the background, now my question. I have been offered an opportunity to come and work in Bangkok with my current employer. So we plan to move there, which means abandoning his application now. We toyed with trying to get a CP here before we left, but time is against us, what if we moved to Bangkok and after a few months went down the Vietnam route for a CP? Do you foresee any issue with this, and will this allow us to visit the UK together, and potentially return one day, or will his failed attempt here always count against us?

Any advise gratefully received.

Thanks

Paul

James Barnes
September 22nd, 2012, 19:03
Dear Paul,

I do not foresee and problems if you get your CP in Vietnam. The author of the piece in OUT iT is currently visiting the UK with his Thai civil partner.

They are due to return in a couple of weeks and if you email me: editor@out-in-thailand.com , I can put you in touch with each other.

Best wishes,

James.

September 22nd, 2012, 23:43
Hey, thanks for the reply, I will drop you an email. We are just so worried about the failed application coming back to haunt us again in the future.....

September 27th, 2012, 19:02
Well, without being nosey - can I ask how your BF got into the UK in the first place?

As people will see on another thread, my BFs Visa application has been rejected out of hand - despite all the work we put into it.

It is obviously easier to stay than to enter -so I'm curious about how your BF got in - are you at liberty to explain?

JamesBarnes, it seems in the light of other responses that a CP is Thailand is not possible in my situation.
It also seems a CP is not possible in Vietnam because he is Vietnamese
It also seems the Phillipinnes is out - it says you must have "some connection" with the area.

So - I can't get him into UK for a CP and I don't seem to be able to get one elsewhere :dontknow:
Isn't it great to be British - this must be the "Union Dividend" the quisling politicians talk about. :sign5:

ceejay
September 27th, 2012, 20:11
It also seems the Phillipinnes is out - it says you must have "some connection" with the area.
I think you misunderstand SG. My reading is that the only requirement with respect to the Philippines is that you need to have been resident there for 7 days. The "connection with area" section of the overview refers to the part of the United Kingdom you want the CP to be registered in - presumably England in your case. :sign5:

September 27th, 2012, 20:25
Yes, ceejay - on second reading I think you are probably right that "this area" refers to the part of the UK !

However, I have also checked the Visa requirements - and BOTH of us would require Visas as the tourist visa waiver (for either UK or Vietnam citizens) is only for 21 days. So, you must be resident in Phills for 7 days to give notice for CP and you cannot register a CP at the earliest until the 15th day after giving notice = 22 days.

So we are back in the same shit about having to get him a Visa - I'll need to look into how easy or difficult that would be. Unless there's something else I've missed?

Any other suggestions, anybody?

I feel like starting a bloody TOPIC on my Visa difficulties :sign5:

September 27th, 2012, 23:32
It has been the most frustrating experience in the world. He was on visitor visa and is/was an overstay. He was already in that status when we met. We don't want any benifets, or housing or support. We just want to live together, work, pay taxes etc etc. but UKBA are just very unreasonable. I hope Bangkok will be fresh start, but he could be exiled from returning here, which makes visiting friends and family very tough.

ceejay
September 28th, 2012, 00:21
SG - my apologies, I should have said before how sorry I am that the visa application failed.

You're probably right about needing visas for the Philippines, but there may be a way round it. You have to wait 15 days for the registration, but actually have 3 months maximum in which to do it. There's nothing in the guidance saying you have to stay in the Philippines between the time of the notification and the time of the registration. If the Philippines allow two visa exemptions in quick succession, as Thailand do (and I have no idea one way or the other on that) and if you were prepared to go to the hassle of leaving and returning, you might still be able to do it.