PDA

View Full Version : Zipper repair shop

jvt22222
August 16th, 2012, 07:51
A friend has a favorite canvas back pack that has a zipper that does not work ....... wants to get it fixed rather than buy a new back pack ........ I recall once noticing a sign for a LUGGAGE REPAIR shop somewhere on the east side of Sukhumvit which might be a solution for him ...... does any poster here recall the exact place for the LUGGAGE REPAIR shop ...... or another place that might be able to repair or replace a long, heavy-duty zipper? Thanks.

billy2bs
August 16th, 2012, 10:12
Well if the zipper is in fact broken then to replace that zipper with a new one would be cost prohibitive here in USA. There in LOS i wouldn't know. If the bag itself is quite valuable then maybe but it would seem ok. But from 10000 miles away...buy another one

adman5000
August 16th, 2012, 11:49
In Bangkok on Surawong Road at the entrance to the sub-soi going back to Rose Hotel, is a woman with her sewing machine who can sew/fix a variety of things. She may be able to replace the zipper and her fee is reasonable.

Neal
August 16th, 2012, 13:11
There are women outside everywhere with sewing machines that can fix bags etc.

ceejay
August 16th, 2012, 14:00
There is (or was) a place on Pattaya Tai called Mr Bag Repair. It's on the left, between Third Road and Sukhumvit, just before the turn off to Big C as I recall. I haven't used it myself, and it's a while since I've been in the area so there's always the chance it isn't even there any more. Sorry I can't be more help than that.

Dodger
August 16th, 2012, 17:39
jvt2222,

I just had the zipper on my canvas backpack repaired last June at a very small stand (luggage repair) located across from Tukcom. If you are walking out of the front entrance of Tukcom (the entrance facing Pattaya Tai) - turn left and walk to the corner and you will see it. They charged a whopping 40 baht and did the job in 10 minutes.

pong
August 16th, 2012, 18:30
to really repair a zipper is near impossible-replacing it is the norm.
if it is very long, you likely have to find it yourself in a shop.
As above: about anywhere in the whole of Th are men/ladies sitting behind a sewing machine with a bundle of clothes beside/behind them, just doing that-repairwork. My last price to pay for a replace zip in a pair of jeans was 20 bt, after which the always smiling Isany lady in my fave restrt told me, it should have been 15-I provide the zip. -Just to give an idea of going prices.
Now: you ask about BKK and the more touristy an area is, the less likely you are to find such ladies. best advice is to ask a common worker in HTL/Condo where s/he would go to for such a thing. Also not all such ladies will do luggage, but in the area of BKK wher I mostly stay, there are 2 men, with enormous stacks of old and abandoned bekpeks etc for to get replacements for repairs. They also do shoes, leatherbags etc. depending on what type of luggage it is, normal sewing machines may not do the trick.

jvt22222
August 17th, 2012, 07:30
Wow, many thanks for the responses ...... have passed the information provided on to my friend.

Neal
August 17th, 2012, 09:15
I am sure that everyone who has responded here actually meant that the zipper had to be replaced! that any of these people would buy a new one and remove the old one and put in the new. Tell them you want the same grade zipper!