PDA

View Full Version : Stunning Tennis Players -Thai Open 22 Sept

lonelywombat
August 15th, 2012, 12:35
[attachment=0:5aj6wvlg]pic.jpg[/attachment:5aj6wvlg]
Thailand Open 2012 returns to Impact Arena, Muang Thong Thani from 22 - 30 September 2012 with over 70 of the worldтАЩs top menтАЩs tennis players and prize money of US$ 608,500.
[attachment=1:5aj6wvlg]poster.jpg[/attachment:5aj6wvlg]

Just had email from a friend coming to Thailand for the big professional Thai Open 2012, asking me if I would be here.

Damn, the chances to be there and stay in the same hotels sounds fantastic.

Have committed to a family function. How do I get out of that.

fountainhall
August 15th, 2012, 15:01
With all respect, the chances of "over 70 of the worlds top players" coming to Thailand to compete for what is a pretty paltry US$608,500 is zero! I don't know where that quote comes from, but the official thailandopen site gives the true story -

Leading the field, competing for $608,500 in prize money are: world #8 Janko Tipsarevic, 2009 champion Gilles Simon, crowd favourites Fernando Verdasco and Gael Monfils, Richard Gasquet, and the two hottest young stars in the game: AustraliaтАЩs Bernard Tomic and Canadian sensation Milos Raonic ranked # 24. The rest of the field for ThailandтАЩs premier annual sporting event will be announced in the lead up to the tournament.
http://www.thailandopen.org/news.php?nid=133

Want to see Federer, Nadal, Djokovic, Murray, Tsonga, Ferrer or Berdych who lead the ATP rankings? Sorry, they won't be here. Of those actually taking part, in the latest pro rankings Tipsarevic is #8, Gasquet #13, Simon #14, Verdasco #22, Monfils #35, Tomic #49, and Raonic #19.

Not that they will not serve up a feast of tennis. But it's rather typical of Thailand to head a media release "World's Top Tennis Stars Already Confirmed to play in Bangkok" when only one of the top dozen in the rankings will be here! :angry1:

lonelywombat
August 16th, 2012, 17:50
Actually it was not the big names that got my interest. I might not even get to see the games,

But that is another story.