View Full Version : Bangkok Hotels

May 24th, 2006, 13:47
I know I have asked before (and probably ignored the responses) but I am graduallly narrowing down my choices of where to stay for a few days in Bangkok.

I have a booking (yes they had a room available) for me and my num friend at the Tarntawan Hotel for 3 nights. I do like the location, I have been past it several times but it is still at my upper end budget (2,500 baht). I also have seen the hotel being offered on Asia Rooms for the same deluxe room at 2,280 baht.

Any views on the Silom Serene Hotel - on Asia Rooms 1699 baht on the Serene website 3500 baht per night. I like the look of this hotel and tried to book here before but it was full then.

Finally Suriwong Hotel - according to dreadedned.com its a little downmarket but another Thai friend suggested that paying for a better room here (not the standard) means you have a comfortable and enjoyable stay and it doesn't feel downmarket. Also very goood location.

Oh, the Tawana Ramada currently has standard and superior rooms available from 2320 baht per night. I wouldn't mind giving that a go but I am not sure my friend would feel comfortable in the surroundings of a 4 star hotel. Am I being condescending? Then again you don't know my friend.

Alll advice welcome, thanks.

May 24th, 2006, 13:57
I know I have asked before (and probably ignored the responses) but I am graduallly narrowing down my choices of where to stay for a few days in Bangkok.

I have a booking (yes they had a room available) for me and my num friend at the Tarntawan Hotel for 3 nights. I do like the location, I have been past it several times but it is still at my upper end budget (2,500 baht). I also have seen the hotel being offered on Asia Rooms for the same deluxe room at 2,280 baht.You're concerned to save 220 baht a day?

Any views on the Silom Serene Hotel - on Asia Rooms 1699 baht on the Serene website 3500 baht per night. I like the look of this hotel and tried to book here before but it was full then.You get taxis to the night-spots - just a little too far to walk. Your post seems to suggest a frugal nature

Finally Suriwong Hotel - according to dreadedned.com its a little downmarket but another Thai friend suggested that paying for a better room here (not the standard) means you have a comfortable and enjoyable stay and it doesn't feel downmarket. Also very goood location.A complete slum where you will have the constant entertainment of both Thais and Westerners pulling in to make use of their extensive "short-time-room" facility. At least their coffee shop is no longer wall-to-wall money boys lining up for their victims (who never need leave the hotel area for the entire duration of their stay, as Jupiter is 10 yards away)

Oh, the Tawana Ramada currently has standard and superior rooms available from 2320 baht per night. I wouldn't mind giving that a go but I am not sure my friend would feel comfortable in the surroundings of a 4 star hotel. Am I being condescending? Then again you don't know my friendUp to you

May 24th, 2006, 13:57

cottmann
May 24th, 2006, 14:00
Oops, posted twice

cottmann
May 24th, 2006, 14:00
I know I have asked before (and probably ignored the responses) but I am graduallly narrowing down my choices of where to stay for a few days in Bangkok. ...Alll advice welcome, thanks.

The Regency Park on Sukhumvit Soi 22, not far from the Emporium Shopping Centre, is a gay-friendly hotel - I believe it used to be Utopia's preferred G&L-friendly place. I've stayed there several times with BF in tow and never had any problems.

You can book over the Internet at several sites - I just googled the hotel and came up with one for approximaltey $US37 or 1400 baht per night for a standard room - http://www.gothailand.com/hotels/bangko ... ency-park/ (http://www.gothailand.com/hotels/bangkok/frameme.php?page=/regency-park/)

TOQ
May 24th, 2006, 20:32
You may want to see if they have a "friends of dicks cafe" rate.. It is around 2150B per night..

that is what my last confirmation was at for a July stay.

john

bucknaway
May 24th, 2006, 23:34
You may want to check out Chin House. It is very nice and close to the action.

www.chinhouse.com (http://www.chinhouse.com) (Click on Chin House II for info and rates)

May 25th, 2006, 00:46
Chin House II --

Validity : January 1st - December 31st 2005
ROOM TYPE SIZE
(SQ.M.) MONTHLY RATE
Studio 28 45,000-
1 Bedroom 56 75,000.-
2 Bedroom (Standard) 85 95,000.-
2 Bedroom (Deluxe) 88 99,000.-
Penthouse 231 220,000.- (Yearly Rental Only)
Extra Bed 500 Baht/day

Where is the good rate?
You stayed there before?

bucknaway
May 25th, 2006, 05:32
To get the daily rate, divide the monthly rate by 30 days. So the 45,000 monthly rate, once divided by 30 becomes 1,500.

I have stayed there before and LOVED it. It is a 10 minute slow walk to Telephone Pub. The rooms are very comfortable, modern and clean with top notch service. If you get a 1 bedroom then the room will come with a kitchen and living room. I liked the 1 bedroom the most and everyone who came to the room also loved it.

There was no joiners fee and you could bring a small army to your room and nothing will be said (Grin).

If you want comfort, security and a good location then you can't beat the chin house.

And if anyone tries to get you to stay at the Regent in Silom next to Freemans Dance Arena... Tell them NO and run away! Run away fast! http://www.regentsilom.com. The place is very much in the middle of the gay area but they do charge a joiners fee, the AC never seems to cut the mustard, the maids never seem to close your door enough to lock, the hot water may not work in your room and the Executive room is only 1" bigger than the Deluxe room and is a rip-off! And the TV only gets 3 stations. Fuzzy, Foreign and BBC News....

Make yourself happy... Go to the Chin House :)

This time I will stay at babylon in their new rooms with the tiny TV and little refrigerator

Chin House II --

ROOM TYPE SIZE
(SQ.M.) MONTHLY RATE
Studio 28 45,000-
1 Bedroom 56 75,000.-
Extra Bed 500 Baht/day

Where is the good rate?
You stayed there before?

May 25th, 2006, 08:17
It is a 10 minute slow walk to Telephone PubIndeed. The quickest part of the walk is taking your life in your hands as you cross Silom Rd

wowpow
May 25th, 2006, 09:05
One the important aspects of choosing an hotel where you will be comfortable is the gay friendliness. All of tha above are with the exception of the Tawana Ramada which has a joiners fee and there is a risk of your boyfriend being challenged which would be embarassing indeed.

A friend stayed at Silom Serene and liked it very much but was not aware if they have a joiner's fee. Best price via http://www.asiarooms.com/thailand/bangk ... erene.html (http://www.asiarooms.com/thailand/bangkok/silom_serene.html) Bt1700 for a double. I see their price for Chin House by the night is over Bt3000. Maybe you need to book in for a month to get the Bt1500 a night average?

Don't forget Tower Inn which has very spacious rooms and is nearly though less close the the hot spots than others mentioned and at Asiarooms only Bt1400 and no joiner's.

Also there is the gay BBB Inn on Rama IV by the Suriwong corner which is often used for short time and charges about Bt1200.

bucknaway
May 25th, 2006, 09:45
When I book at the chin house, I send an e-mail telling them my room requirements and the room I desire and ask them for the daily rate. Then I send them back confirming information to book the room. But this time I will spend my Bangkok time at Babylon. Maybe one or two days at Chin House... But Babylon is my destination now.

lonelywombat
May 25th, 2006, 11:21
Don't forget Tower Inn which has very spacious rooms and is nearly though less close the the hot spots than others mentioned and at Asiarooms only Bt1400 and no joiner's..

the taximeter cab is only 35 baht from Tower Inn to soi 4 or soi twilight, maybe 40 baht in heavy traffic

your bf will be impressed with the roof top pool and dining up there is very impressive

The view of Bangkok at night is great.

on the higher floors you can get one bedroom apartments but you have to ask.

May 26th, 2006, 02:45
To get the daily rate, divide the monthly rate by 30 days. So the 45,000 monthly rate, once divided by 30 becomes 1,500.

Rental Conditions :
Yearly rates upon request
2 Months refundable security deposit and 1 month advance rental
Rate is subject to 7% V.A.T.
Rates includes all utilities charges, daily maid services and linen changes

What did they ask you for the deposit if you get daily rate?

May 26th, 2006, 05:55
Can someone please remind me of the name of the hotel, in BKK near Robinson's on Silom Road, which is decorated outside with thousands of white lights. Many thanks for your assistance in advance.

May 26th, 2006, 07:02
To answer Peter..... Don't know of a Hotel on Silom with thousands of white lights, but you mihgt mean the one near Robinson's entrance on Rama IV - the Pan Pacific Hotel which at Christmas last year was decorated with thousands of lights....???

bucknaway
May 26th, 2006, 08:55
Scott, the chin house never asked me for a deposit. :)

lonelywombat
May 26th, 2006, 11:25
To answer Peter..... Don't know of a Hotel on Silom with thousands of white lights, but you might mean the one near Robinson's entrance on Rama IV - the Pan Pacific Hotel which at Christmas last year was decorated with thousands of lights....???

It could be Sofitel Silom formerly known as Monarch Lee which is closer to Tower Inn

on the other side of the road but closer to Patpong

fountainhall
May 26th, 2006, 11:50
There's 3 main ones in that area - Tawana Ramada (close to Tawan), Montien (opposite Patpong) and, just around the corner on Rama 4, the Pan Pacific. The last is on the top floors of a very tall building and is 'lit' up at some holiday periods.

wowpow
May 26th, 2006, 12:42
The Pan Pacific was totally covered in millions of tiny white lights during December about 4 years ago. It was pretty spectacular. On subsequent years the area covered by lights has shrunken to now just the first couple of floors - still it;s quite nice and when lit it's easier to see the money boys plying their trade outside.

May 27th, 2006, 17:06
Thankyou, Guys for your assistance. It was indeed Pan Pacific Hotel. Has any stayed at Sofitel Hotel, ( former Monarch Lee Gardens ) on Silom Road. Could they please forward their feedback. Thanks again.

wowpow
May 27th, 2006, 18:19
I have not stayed there but I have dined well there a few times in their V9 Wine Restaurant on the 32nd? floor - great views and wine at wholesale prices. It had a makeover since changing name to Sofitel which is one of the French Group Accor's brand names. They are an excellent company. The place is swish modern. Rooms are very comfortable and the club/executive room bathrooms a delight - difficult to get Thai boyfriend out of the bathroom in under 2 hours.. The breakfast buffet is supposed to be great. One guy had trouble getting his A/C right. I have had comments that the pool is very small.

It is sometimes touted as a five star hotel but it is a very good four star. It is often offered at bargain rates and I see Asiarooms have it at only Bt3629 for standard rooms for two.
Only a day ago someone was enthusing about their buffet dinner restaurant which is moderately priced and very good indeed.

The location is not too bad but you might want a Bt35 taxi to gay spots sometimes. Skytrain stations are not too far away. I hear no joiner's fee.

I would stay there for a specail occasion but for routine trips I prefer cheapo bargains like the Pinnacle.

May 27th, 2006, 18:29
wine at wholesale pricesReally? Cheaper than at Villa supermarket?

wowpow
May 28th, 2006, 01:35
Wines were supplied by http://www.wineconnection.co.th/

May 28th, 2006, 15:26
TeePee wrote re Silom Sofitel: "It is sometimes touted as a five star hotel but it is a very good four star. It is often offered at bargain rates and I see Asiarooms have it at only Bt3629 for standard rooms for two."

Why is it that hotels and chains on their own websites charge more for rooms than the discount websites. Sofitel best 'special offer' has a deluxe room for two at Bt3835 (June) and no brekkie whilst Asia Rooms has it at (actually) Bt3269 with brekkie. Tarntawan's website price is more expensive than the discount sites. The only chain I have found that sometimes charges less than the discount websites is the Holiday Inn Group, where you can get some real bargains for very nice rooms. Indeed, checking the Holiday Inn website for the Holiday Inn Silom Plaza Hotel, their special rate for a king Size bed room for two is Bt2561 compaired to Bt2818 on Asia Rooms - Only a small saving here but I have had bigger savings at other Holiday Inns through going to their own website.

May 28th, 2006, 16:23
Why is it that hotels and chains on their own websites charge more for rooms than the discount websitesBecause discount Web sites promise a higher volume of bookings and may in fact have promised a certain volume of bookings. Why do "bucket shops" offer cheaper fares than the airlines? For the same reason and also because the hotel or airline doesn't want to be seen to be selling itslef cheaply. In other words, marketing

May 28th, 2006, 16:37
Wines were supplied by http://www.wineconnection.co.th/I wasn't asking about the supplier. You said the price was the wholesale price ie. no retail mark-up. I was wondering how you know

wowpow
May 28th, 2006, 17:27
Well 'intern that homme for' tetchiness. I submit to your demands and do not ask that you read the website.

At V9 - but I have not been there for some time - you leave the lift and entered a wine shop where you could select wines at the same prices that Wine Connection sold them in their shops. Then you enter the restaurant proper. Most people choose their meal and then go back and select their wine.
Wine Connection claim that they sell wines at Wholesale prices:

"wineconnection.co.th brings to you the whole catalog of products that Wine Connection has selected for you. Wholesale prices, free delivery, satisfaction guaranteed are some of the advantages you will get" Their prices start about Bt500. They do not carry 'supermarket wines' and Villa seem to have a splended selection at keen prices. The upper floor at their Suckhumvit branch near Emporium has a vast range.

Wine connection have shops in Bangkok - off soi Convent by the Silom end and at Nana Plaza mall - I have used - and on Second Road Pattaya.

As they import their own wines there is no price comparison possible. I did not find their prices particularly cheap.

Thats about all the information that I can provide. How do I know the prices are wholesale - well I don't but feel free to ask them.

May 28th, 2006, 21:11
Thats about all the information that I can provide. How do I know the prices are wholesale - well I don't but feel free to ask them.... you are merely repeating their marketing hype which as we know in Thailand in particular means nothing since there are no consumer protection laws that would oblige them to verify their claim. However as this is a Board for, among other things, sharing facts as well as opinions, stating that the wine prices are "wholesale" is not all that helpful. It's on a par with pete1969 claiming that he's in a hotel with "full cable TV" and then saying that he doesn't actually watch television so has no way of verifying that "information". If you're going to share "facts" with us then facts is what they should be

May 29th, 2006, 00:10
I have found Wine Connection has the best prices for Thailand. By wholesale, they mean that they are the importing company, so if we assume a supermarket buys from a Thai wholesaler, that is one markup event dropped. Of course, I don't really know how supermarkets buy. But Wine Connection still has to deal with 300 percent import tax, which means close to 1000 baht for anything even at the lower edge of decent.

wowpow
May 29th, 2006, 12:36
.. you are merely repeating their marketing hype which as we know in Thailand in particular means nothing since there are no consumer protection laws that would oblige them to verify their claim. However as this is a Board for, among other things, sharing facts as well as opinions, stating that the wine prices are "wholesale" is not all that helpful. It's on a par with pete1969 claiming that he's in a hotel with "full cable TV" and then saying that he doesn't actually watch television so has no way of verifying that "information". If you're going to share "facts" with us then facts is what they should be homintern

Apart from being rude is there any point to your posts?

I was happy to share my experiences at V9 restaurant and their reasonably priced wines. I don't need to prove that the prices are wholesale ot that the restaurant or the Universe exist.

You would do well to learn from your signature proverb "Follies and nonsense, whims and inconsistencies do divert me, I own, and I laugh at them whenever I can - Jane Austen, Pride & Prejudice"

Please don't reply as I'm about to IGNORE you again - farewell.

May 29th, 2006, 13:02
Apart from being rude is there any point to your posts?
Yes -
If you're going to share "facts" with us then facts is what they should be

June 18th, 2006, 16:46
Chin House II --

ROOM TYPE SIZE
(SQ.M.) MONTHLY RATE
Studio 28 45,000-
1 Bedroom 56 75,000.-
Extra Bed 500 Baht/day

Where is the good rate?
You stayed there before?

price has gone up dramatically !!!

Validity : Now - October 31st, 2006

ROOM TYPE SIZE
(SQ.M.) RACK RATE SPECIAL RATE

FOR INTERNER USERS

1 Bedroom Deluxe 56 6,300.- 3,700.-
2 Bedroom 85 - 88 9,500.- 5,600.-
Penthouse 231 220,000.-

(Yearly Rental Only)

-
Extra Bed 800 Baht/day -
Yearly rental rate available upon request
The rates are per room per night
These rates include electricity and water charges

Dick
June 19th, 2006, 01:10
Tried the Montien Silom two weeks immediately prior to last Christmas. As I prepaid up front I provided our names ~ bf and myself. No problems whatsoever entering the hotel independantly throughout our stay... staff were courteous and charming (and some cute!). We weren't the only gay couple staying there either. Had a large Queen size room, comfortable bed with a deep plush matress, room well appointed.

Booked through Thailand-Hotels.net website... although that seems to have changed hands. The actual agency transacting the booking was http://www.asiawebdirect.com, and no one could better their rate. Enjoyed a prepaid rate of 1,750Baht including service and tax, but without breakfast which would have beefed up the rate then to 2,550B. If anyone is interested in this hotel, it might be worth asking asiawebdirect the question about breakfast excluded rates for specific dates. There's Starbucks out front anyway, and Dick's around the corner too.

CHAOTOU
June 19th, 2006, 07:41
I stayed at The Montien in the summer of 2004. The hotel is very nice, large rooms, probably would be a four star hotel. We got a good price too, but I would not stay there again.

One day I was sitting in the lobby waiting for friends to come down. We had a group outing planned. I was drinking a Coke while I waited. An employee, manager type, came up from behind me and over my shoulder told me that I was not allowed to be drinking in the lobby. I turned around to offer him the can to dispose of, or ask him what my options were at this point, but he was gone. It was a hit and run. Handled poorly, I thought.

One evening a friend of mine and I had been out to the bars. We came back late at about 0200. I had a Thai guy with me, a bar boy. The three of us were stopped at the elevator and told he had to check in and pay a fee for our friend. They made me pay 1000 Baht joiner fee. They also made my friend leave his ID. In the morning when he left I accompanied him to pick up his ID and walked out with him. The same manager was still on duty. We had to go see this employee in a back office, not at the front desk. He had a stack of IDs. Apparently my friend wasn't the only visitor.

On my last day there, I got up very early since I was leaving at about 0400 for the airport. The restaurant is open 24 hours. While I was eating in the restaurant at about 0300-0330 the wait staff of the hotel was clearly offering girls for the lone male diners to bring to their room. They had a book to select from an everything. They were obvious. I saw this repeated two or three times. My waiter asked me if I went out last night. I felt this was an opening to see if I was interested also. When I said I did, but named a gay bar, the conversation stopped and I wasn't offered the book! I assume they are only offering females. I wonder if there is a joiner fee for these hotels arranged guests too!

After eating I returned to my room, gathered my belongings and headed downstairs to check out. I crossed the path in the hallways of more than one Thai guest in route to one of the hotel rooms.

My conclusion was if you bring someone from outside they will charge you a 1000 Baht joiner fee, but they are more than happy to pimp someone from the restaurant.

I have stayed at the Pinnacle, Tarntawan and Crown Plaza since then.

June 20th, 2006, 11:52

Any feedback on these Hotels? Or others that would be gay-friendly?

CHAOTOU
June 23rd, 2006, 23:12

Any feedback on these Hotels? Or others that would be gay-friendly?

Pinnacle and Tarntawan are very gay friendly to say the least. No joiner fees. Lots of information on this site if you want to search archives. I like Tarntawan better, but it is more expensive.

I stayed at the Crown Plaza for work, so I wasn't paying. It's a very nice hotel, more expensive than i'd spring for on personal travel. Doubt it's gay friendly. But the staff is very friendly. Didn't have guest, don't know about joiner fees.

June 23rd, 2006, 23:14
Pinnacle now enforcing a 500 B joiner fee.
If anyone stays there alone and books a double, please report if you avoid the joiners fee that way.

Smiles
June 24th, 2006, 00:46
ChAOTOU said this:

" ... I have stayed at the Pinnacle, Tarntawan and Crown Plaza . . . Pinnacle and Tarntawan are very gay friendly to say the least. No joiner fees ... "

THAIQUILA said this:

" ... Pinnacle now enforcing a 500 B joiner fee now... "

Anyone who knows exactly what's what on this please respond.
There's enough incorrect/exaggerated/bullshit info piling up on this message board already (what with the Pattaya Gossiper's Club in full array) it takes wings to stay above it ***

Cheers ...

*** (thanks to Francis Coppola for that always-tasty anaolgy)

June 24th, 2006, 00:57
I saw it with my own eyes being enforced there, what more do you want?
FIVE HUNDRED BAHT, no kidding.
Jimmy is also reporting it is being enforced. GEEEEEZZZ!!!!

Smiles
June 24th, 2006, 01:15
I saw it with my own eyes being enforced there, what more do you want?
FIVE HUNDRED BAHT, no kidding.
Jimmy is also reporting it is being enforced. GEEEEEZZZ!!!!
Slow down Sweetheart ... I was commenting on 2 posts (one after the other) reporting precisely opposite information. Just the kind of situation we all love to see ... don't you agree?

I don't doubt your information necessarily (though your reputation is badly tarnished after the NN bullshit . . . undoubtedly your eyes came into play there as well), but then I guess I don't doubt Chaotou's either ... necessarily.
Perhaps Chaotou's info is "old", but he doesn't say when he received it, so how are we to know?

As it stands there are 2 posts standing with different information. I don't really give a tinker's damn who's correct, but I also think that asking for more clarity is reasonable.

Cheers ...

June 24th, 2006, 02:54
I was just playing around with Niddys before. If you hadn't noticed, I played a big part in getting lots of free publicity for that joint. Sometimes humor is hard to pick up in emails and posts, so sorry if you didn't get it.

My most recent trip to Pinnancle was under 3 months ago. I never said it was being enforced 100 percent, just said that I witnessed it. Why the hell would I make up such a thing? I like staying at the Pinnacle.

Smiles
June 24th, 2006, 05:52
" ... I was just playing around with Niddys before. If you hadn't noticed, I played a big part in getting lots of free publicity for that joint. Sometimes humor is hard to pick up in emails and posts, so sorry if you didn't get it ... "
Bullshit.

Cheers ...

June 24th, 2006, 05:58
" ... I was just playing around with Niddys before. If you hadn't noticed, I played a big part in getting lots of free publicity for that joint. Sometimes humor is hard to pick up in emails and posts, so sorry if you didn't get it ... "
Bullshit.

Cheers ...
Is it or is it not now a world famous eatery known throughout global gay farangdom as the place to go for cheeseburger and North Dakotan style fish and chips?

American Teacher-old
June 24th, 2006, 13:32
Bullshit.

Cheers ...

I agree. Double bullshit.

Fondly,
Chris

www.niddysnook.com (http://www.niddysnook.com)
** Home of Pattaya's Tastiest Cheeseburger **
(keep an eye out for our new and improved menu coming out next month!)

June 24th, 2006, 14:25
Thats gratitude for you.