PDA

View Full Version : No alcohol on the road - or a THB 60,000 fine or jail time

ceejay
August 12th, 2012, 14:55
According to The Nation, a new law is now in effect in Thailand which bans all occupants of road vehicles (including passengers) from drinking alcohol:

"Vehicles of any kind" would seem to include not just private cars but, for example, baht buses and long distance coaches.
http://www.nationmultimedia.com/nationa ... 88003.html (http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Drunk-driving-law-tightened-30188003.html)

The Nation August 10, 2012 1:00 am
Occupants of vehicles of any kind who drink alcohol during travel are now subject to six months imprisonment and/or a Bt60,000 fine, the Office of Alcoholic Beverages announced yesterday.

The penalties will also be imposed on drinkers in vehicles parked on sidewalks or shoulders of public roads, including sois, regardless of whether the vehicles are moving, OAB director Samarn Footrakool said.

Passengers of railbased transport who drink are not subject to the penalties, which took effect on Wednesday. Drinking occupants and drivers will be equally liable for such violations. "The only exceptions under this law are occupants of vehicles parked in front of their homes," he said.

Stop Drink Foundation director Theera Watcharapranee said the law would be helpful in reducing road accident casualties associated with drunk driving, but a limit or restriction on sales of alcohol during long holiday breaks would be more supportive of the law. New restrictions on consumption and sale of alcohol in factories will take effect 90 days from Monday's endorsement of a separate law.

Well I certainly agree with operators of motorbikes, taxis, songtaws, busses etc but I don't see the reason for passengers or persons in a vehicle that is parked. DaBoss

August 12th, 2012, 14:59
Its going to dampen all those Rot Tour parties.

cdnmatt
August 12th, 2012, 16:51
I don't see the reason for passengers or persons in a vehicle that is parked.

If your vehicle isn't parked at your house, you'll more than likely be driving it home at some point in the night.

Dodger
August 12th, 2012, 18:42
Assuming this new law includes motorbikes...

I'm sure glad I found an apartment within walking distance to my nightly hangouts...unless they plan on building a railroad in Sunee Plaza.

We'll just have to wait and see how this brilliant new law impacts tourism the first time a foreign tourist gets thrown in the slammer for being a little tipsy while riding in the back of a song teaw.

I can see it now:

Bangkok News Headlines

Family from Baraboo Wisconson visiting Thailand for the first time gets destroyed.

Bob and Mary Oochthathurts from Baraboo Wisconsin were visiting Thailand for the first time with their two children Katie (age 6) and younger brother Timmy (age 4) when the Pattaya police pulled over the song teaw they were riding in for a random road check. The driver, Chanchai Chopawatchanapuriatanaburi, age 59 tested positive for alcohal consumption and had a half empty bottle of Leo beer between his legs. Khun Chopawatchanapuriatanaburi and the Oochthathurts family were then arrested and taken to the Pattaya police department to await sentencing. Not having enough funds to pay the penalty Mr. and Mrs. Oochthathurts were sentenced to 6 months imprisonment and their two children were placed up for adoption and are now being transferred to the TOT Farang Child Adoption Agency (FCAA) headquartered in Buriram where they will hopefully be adopted soon.

It was announed by the judge that the children would be released from FCAA when Mr. and Mrs. Oochthathurts have completed their sentences and during the period of temporary adoption would have the choice of either working the rice fields to earn their daily keep or being transferred back to Pattaya where they could earn their keep working as gogo dancers. The judge made it clear that the choice was theirs.

Khun Chopawatchanapuriatanaburi was able to pay the fine of 60,000 baht which was loaned to him by his brother who is a local Pattaya policeman and released shorlty after the arrest took place to return to his work.

joe552
August 12th, 2012, 18:48
:sign5: great post, Dodger :notworthy: