PDA

View Full Version : Siem Reap June/July 2012 - Photos

Janus
August 9th, 2012, 18:26
When going to some of the less visited tempels you can meet some young men, who would like to show you around and practise their english language skills and have a tip/ $. I am still very impressed about these guys and their english. Most of them are exellent guides, but they stay out of sight as they are not accepted by the authorities.

Janus
August 9th, 2012, 18:32
Wat Athwea
- and just behind the temple a volleyball court in the shadow under the trees.

Janus
August 9th, 2012, 18:43
A trip to Kampong Pluk south east of Siem Reap.
By boat to the Tonle Sap and a walk back through the village, where a wedding party was held this afternoon.
I will go back later this year and hopefully experience the village when the water of Tonle Sap is much higher and the only transportation in the village is by boat.

Janus
August 9th, 2012, 18:47
Kampong Pluk

Janus
August 9th, 2012, 18:53
Kampong Pluk
Walking back through the village.

Beachlover
August 19th, 2012, 22:56
Nice photos, Janus... thanks for posting.

1. With those kids who offer to guide you around some of the lesser visited ruins... My guide told me it's better not to engage and tip them. He reckoned it encouraged them to skip school and gave them an easy way out to earn money, which doesn't really teach them much or help with their development. $1 isn't much to you but it's a fair bit to them so doing this is a tempting alternative to doing stuff, which might actually benefit their future. That's just what I was told.

2. That river/canal that leads to Tonle Sap... what freaked me out was all these boats churning through the water with props spinning and KIDS jumping in and swimming around them! F*ck... that is dangerous. I mean, I've seen plenty of risky situations and OH&S write offs in developing nations but this had my heart in my throat.

I remember one kid actually swimming under our boat as it trundled forward. He dived under and came out on the other side! I had visions of this little body floating to the surface with his skull split open by one of the props and the water red with blood.

Janus
August 20th, 2012, 13:41
I talk about school whenever I meet those young men (they are 14-16 years). They start school early in the morning and come to the temples about 11:30 AM (not every day). Late in the afternoon they go to Siem Reap to attend advanced school from 5 to 7 PM. To me they seem very keen on getting an education. They know it's the only way out of powerty.