PDA

View Full Version : How much do you trust boys?

TravellerDave
August 9th, 2012, 14:21
When I off boys I'm very careful to make sure no valuable property is left lying around my room. For me an room safe is essential like those in the Ambiance hotel But I have to safeguard items like my laptop and camera that don't fit it there.
I chatted to someone on the beach who once lost several hundred dollars by accidentally leaving his room safe open. He thought the boy had removed the money whilst he was in the shower but he didn't notice the loss for a couple of days. He had the boy short term from GR who didn't appear there again whilst he was in Pattaya.

August 9th, 2012, 14:50
Since I'm a dizzy old cow, I don't keep significant quantities of cash in the room - I use Caxton Currency Cards so I don't lose all my cash and I have secondary cards on those in case I lose the dammned cards!

I have a small "netbook" (before Ipads were invented") which fits in most in-room safes.

Having said all that, I routinely leave everything lying abound and in 11/12 years have never had anything stolen by a boy - a female non-sexual visitor however made off with a pair of (genuine) Oakley sunglasses. The only slight feeling of satisfaction I got from that, was the anticipation of her trying to wear or sell what she didn't realise were PRESCRIPTION sunglasses - rather like the time in Brussels, when a rentboy in a bar ripped the Rolex from my wrist and sped out the door....you've guessed it.....night market BKK. :hah:

August 9th, 2012, 16:58
Over many years and over many trips I to have never had anything stolen and whilst I do always lock my wallet, Ipad and "UK" wallet filled with my UK traveling currency and several credit cards etc in the safe ( more so that I don't lose them rather than anything else) I don't put my Thai wallet in there when I get home each evening ( well unless I've brought home some I consider a bit dodgy but that's a 1:20 situation) and whilst I might take my wallet out of my trouser pocket and perhaps "bury it" somewhere in my case / clothes when the boys not in the bed room I never go to too much trouble about that.

However I am always aware not to be stupid and leave chucks of cash or my cards lying on tables etc as whilst I've no doubt the boys are basically honest I think that to leave maybe four or five months wages lying about in front of them is just asking fore trouble and maybe putting them in a position that THEY wouldn't like to find themselves, so I think a bit of common sense and mutual respect for not rubbing the boys nose in how much he "thinks" you have is the key - and also of course paying them well and on time for their services hence them knowing there's no NEED to rob you in the first place. So so far all good - touch wood !!

Dodger
August 9th, 2012, 17:09
I routinely leave everything lying abound and in 11/12 years have never had anything stolen by a boy

Same...same. 12 years and nothing ever stolen from my room by a boy.

Why should they resort to stealing to abtain small amounts of cash and trivial gadgets when they can apply advanced manipulating techniques which are perfectly legal to obtain the lion's share.

All kidding aside, I never invite street trade to my room and allow my Bank to do what it does best - and that's protect my money.

Gaybutton
August 9th, 2012, 17:12
This has been discussed many times over the years. We get stories posted by people who say they've never had a problem with a boy trying to steal anything and opposite stories ranging from people who have had everything happen to them from minor losses to being practically wiped out.

I think it all boils down to one thing: You have no way of knowing whether a stranger you're bringing to your room can be trusted or not. While most boys are probably perfectly honest and wouldn't dream of stealing from you, how do you know which boys they are?

The way I always recommend dealing with it is to eliminate as much of the potential for a problem as you can. If your room has a safe, keep as much of your valuables as you can in the safe. Don't leave cash or valuable items where your "guest" can easily see them. If you have nowhere else to put items like cameras, camcorders, notebook computers, or whatever, hide them in your luggage or wherever they'll be out of sight and least easily accessible. When you go out, don't carry any more cash than you intend to spend or can afford to lose.

If those suggestions don't make you feel safe enough, there are other ways to avoid potential problems. One is to take the boy only for "short time," which means after you have done whatever it is you brought him to your room to do, that's when you give him his "tip" and say good night. Just make sure he is never out of your sight. Wait until after he leaves before you shower - unless, of course, you shower together. I realize many want his "guest" to spend the night with them or have taken a boy "off" for several days, but if you are concerned about what the boy might do while you are asleep, then "short time" is one solution.

You also don't have to take him to your room at all. There are plenty of "short time" rooms available and now Pattaya has several "short time" hotels, and some of the rooms are not only inexpensive, but quite luxurious. Also, instead of taking him to your room, you might go to his room instead. Either of those prevents him from getting to your room at all. Just make sure you've left your room key with the desk clerk instead of having it with you.

If you're careful and take common sense precautions, there is very little chance that anything will happen. The vast majority of holiday makers who come here never have any problem at all - even when they do leave things out where the boy can get to them. But remember, if leaving only a few thousand baht around doesn't seem like much to you, that might be several months worth of the money he normally makes. Do what you can so the temptation isn't there or isn't visible. This is where that old adage, "Lead us not into temptation . . ." makes sense. Don't lead him into it.

Oliver
August 9th, 2012, 17:35
I have little sympathy for victims of "offing"- theft.
We all know that the guys are much poorer than us and that some are absolutely desperate for money...to pay room, to help Mama or even to eat.
So to leave expensive "toys" around or, even worse, cash, is not only stupid but wrong.
In doing so, the falang is tempting a younger person whose circumstances may well beyond anything that the falang has ever experienced.

Nevertheless, my fifteen years experience suggests that Thais are remarkably honest despite the insensitive behaviour of some falangs. Some posters may recall Blue Star in Soi Twilight, back in the 90s. On one occasion, I dropped my wallet and walked out the bar only to be followed by two of the go-go boys calling me back. It was one of my first visits to Thailand; and it taught me a lesson I do not forget.

For what it's worth I've never had any money or goods stolen from my room. How can I be sure? Easy; I've never left anything around that could be stolen.

joe552
August 9th, 2012, 17:46
The only thing I've had stolen in Pattaya was my heart :crybaby:

August 9th, 2012, 18:04
The only thing I've had stolen in Pattaya was my heart :crybaby:

Let's face it, your virginity was already long gone.

:occasion9:

joe552
August 9th, 2012, 18:14
Indeed - I lost my virginity around the same time I lost my mind :old:

Dodger
August 10th, 2012, 04:30
I think it all boils down to one thing: You have no way of knowing whether a stranger you're bringing to your room can be trusted or not. While most boys are probably perfectly honest and wouldn't dream of stealing from you, how do you know which boys they are?

I agree with the part about most boys being perfectly honest who wouldn't dream of stealing your money, but not so sure I agree with the question..."How do you know which boys they are"?

The boys who have nice polite personalities (good karma) who are employed in the beer bars and gogo's are almost always a good bet especially if you get good vibes being with him....and I'm not talking about those vibes between your legs either. I think if a person follows his instincts and focuses a little on "the person" he will do alright. Maybe that's why some farang never have things stolen from them - and conversely, others have to hide their $25 Timex in the safe every time a boy enters their room.

Gaybutton
August 10th, 2012, 06:56
employed in the beer bars and gogo's are almost always a good bet
That is precisely the point. Almost always a good bet. There is no way to know which boys, if any, are not a good bet. Almost always is still a risk and you really can't remove the word "almost" from your statement, can you? There is simply no way to know what a stranger will do if he sees a temptation and thinks he can get away with it. I'm not so sure relying on 'vibes' is really a very good idea. I'll bet people who did become theft victims also relied on 'vibes.'

As for me, no matter how good the 'vibes' might be, I'm still not going to leave money and valuables in sight and easily accessible. I'm going to take the precautions. I see no reason to do otherwise.

bruce_nyc
August 10th, 2012, 07:31
My first ( and only ) trip to Thailand was back in 2006. I don't remember what time my flight arrived in Bangkok, but by the time I arrived at Le Cafe Royale, I remember it being like 5:00am local time. Of course, I was wide awake. It was pitch black dark outside, and I was raring to go. Wondering.... Where can I find some guys!? ( at that hour! lol ) I just stayed and hung out in the Cafe Royale's restaurant, which is open 24 hours. I ordered some breakfast, and just nursed a couple cups of coffee until about 7:00am, when the first falang customer came down for breakfast. I greeted him and made quick friends with him..... discussing everything.

It was later, around 8:30 or 9am, by the time I discovered the first crew of masseurs were out front of the massage place next door. I began flirting with them.... and picked one for a massage. I took him up to my room.

As usual, he took a shower before. He was in there quite a while. Then, he gave me a great massage.

After that, he left.... and the jet lag really caught up to me. By that time I was so deliriously exhausted..... I crashed and slept for a few hours at least....

When I finally woke up, and dragged myself to the restroom.... That's when I noticed that my wallet ---- 3 inches thick, so thick it was unclose-able, with ALL of my money in the form of Thai Baht in it ---- was still sitting where I had left it... on the counter..... in the bathroom.

I freaked. Chills went down my spine.

Remembering that he had been in there a long long time... all alone with it.

I still had the currency exchange receipt from the airport in my pants pocket. Right away I checked it so I'd know the exact amount I had had in my wallet.

I carefully counted it.

Every single Baht was there.

Of course, I'll never forget this experience, and I repeat this story often.... to illustrate how honest the vast majority of Thai's seem to be ( believing in Karma and all )....

But in hindsight, I feel terrible that I was so careless as to probably tempt this poor guy. How thoughtless I was. ( I had taken out the money intended for him and put it on the dresser..... but I forgot to put my wallet back in the safe.... as deliriously exhausted as I was. )

I seem to remember tipping him well... and I'm so glad I did.

I love Thai guys. :notworthy:

August 10th, 2012, 08:09
i think Bruce that whilst I'm sure the guy was 100% honest and lovely and all of that the fact that you had a) just arrived ( so he knew you'd be about for a few days) plus b) that you WERE staying in the Cafe Royal ( where he would have had to left ID) and c) he worked right across the street - every day - may well have had a lot to do with your good fortune and his undoubted honesty, I'm sure as you're fully aware that's not a situation you'd like to repeat to many times elsewhere as the outcome may well have a very different end result !

francois
August 10th, 2012, 08:16
How much do you trust boys?

Remember it is those you trust the most are those that can steal the most.

gaymandenmark
August 10th, 2012, 08:35
I haw not read all on this subjekct, but I have NEVER been stolen in Patty or Bangkok

Patexpat
August 10th, 2012, 11:01
Indeed - in 27 years I have never been stolen from by a pickup .... but my house has been burgled { note correct use of English ;-) ] twice.....

Neal
August 10th, 2012, 13:59
Since I'm a dizzy old cow, ....

Why are you making this so easy for me? :tongue3:

August 10th, 2012, 15:38
but my house has been burgled twice.....

Just purely out interest Pat did the police ever catch anyone (or care) about those the burglaries ( assuming you reported them ) and perhaps get your stuff back ( for a fee ?) or was it just more of a case of "how sad,to bad, never mind" ??

Neal
August 10th, 2012, 15:48
When my scooter was stolen the police would not even look at the video footage or come to the house to do the report.

Dodger
August 10th, 2012, 18:32
Bruce_nyc,

Your story gave me shivers but glad things worked out as they did.

I was perched on a bar stool at Corner Bar several years ago and in walks a farang who claimed he had been robbed of his wallet containing 4,000 baht the night before by one of those fucking Thai boy thieves (his words not mine). He went on-and-on about how he had gone to the police to enter a report, searched the soi's high-and-low for the thieving bastard he had taken back to his room the previous night, and was now contemplating paying someone to break this guys legs if caught.

A moment later the bar tender walked out of the kitchen area and handed the farang his wallet which actually contained 6,000 baht and some change. The waiter went on to explain to the idiot that he must have dropped his wallet when he staggered out of the bar drunk the previous night. The bar tender then handed him a slip of paper (his bar bin) and told him he owed the bar 1,200 baht for the drinks he never paid for the night before. The idiot handed over the 1,200 baht and then attempted to just laugh things off. No one else was laughing.

August 10th, 2012, 21:17
I think its common sense never to trust a casual pickup, whether from a bar or elsewhere.

bruce_nyc
August 10th, 2012, 22:11
Dodger, your story is a good one too.

Don't we all know idiots like that....? It makes you embarrassed to be in the same "category" as someone like that ( falang, gay, tourist, whatever )....

Whenever people are tempted to lump all Thai boys into a category and say they're all ____anything____.... Remember this story.... Falang are idiots too. And we don't want to be all lumped into the same category as that idiot.

Individuals should always be viewed.... individually.

Gaybutton
August 11th, 2012, 07:35
he owed the bar 1,200 baht for the drinks he never paid for the night before.
That's a great story. He ran up a 1200 baht tab at the bar in one night? He must be one hell of a drinker, especially if that incident occurred when Crabby still owned the bar and was serving double-shot drinks at discounted prices. I'd love it even more if he ended up arrested himself on charges of filing a false police report.