PDA

View Full Version : Death from Malaria despite taking the medications

wowpow
May 24th, 2006, 09:43
The Belfast Telegraph, 23rd May 2006

It was his dream to travel, but now he's dead from malaria, Sarah Brett

Ulster tourists were today warned of the dangers of travellingly unwittingly to malaria infested areas after the death of a Londonderry man from a deadly strain of the virus. Increasing numbers of people from Northern Ireland are travelling to far flung destinations every year - almost 2,000 people in the UK are contracting malaria annually. Around nine people die from the disease as a result every year. Tragically the most recent was talented Queens graduate Christopher Gallagher (23) from Shantallow in Derry.

In a sad irony, Malaria Awareness Week ended worldwide on Saturday with the warning to tourists: "Every traveller should seek health advice before they go abroad." In 10 years there has been a 150% rise in visitors to malarial zones, according to travel agents. Christopher Gallagher was taking a course of anti-malarial drugs, but a lethal strain killed him within a week of displaying the initial symptoms. His parents believe he could have been incubating the virus for well over a month, following a visit to the Burmese jungle, a malaria hotspot.

He spoke to his devoted parents Martin and Mary from a Thai hospital less than 24 hours before his death - by the end of the conversation they say they knew their son was dying.
Fighting back tears last night, Mr Gallagher told the Telegraph: "He was saying goodbye." Christopher was an English Literature graduate from Queen's University and a former St Columb's College student. He was considering a career in journalism on his return home. He died from organ failure brought on by two strains of the malaria virus. "He said while he was away that he would be living with us for a while when he got home, getting a job and paying us back for the trip and university," Mary said. "I joked with him that he could never manage it but I know he would have tried.

"I remember he wanted to go away before university but I managed to persuade him not to. But he was so determined, it was his dream, he loved other cultures and new people. "One of the last things he said to me was that he didn't regret a moment of his travels. "It was heartbreaking that we weren't there holding his hand. The only thing that's keeping me together is human contact.

"All our friends, family and neighbours have been amazing, as have the Embassy, the insurance people and the PSNI. "He told me in his last phone call not to lose it if he didn't make it, but I thought he might be exaggerating - a few hours later I realised he wasn't joking and then of course I did lose it."

cottmann
May 24th, 2006, 14:57
Sad, of course, but no anti-malarial drug is 100% effective and maybe the drug he was taking was not the right one of the region. In some case, the drug can actually mask the early warning signs, too, I believe, so that the disease has a chance to take hold before anything can be done.

Aunty
May 24th, 2006, 16:57
Well Ms Sarah Bretts, I'm going to slap your lazy white Irish arse. Malaria is a parasite, it's not a virus! But a tragic tale nonetheless.

I don't suppose there's much that can be done about that given that more and more people want to travel to interesting places where these drug resistant strains of malaria exist. Roll of the dice I suppose.

Do people apply mosquito repellent (containing deet) to themselves when they travel and tuck their mossy nets in at night?