PDA

View Full Version : Hiring a Thai Employee

bruce_nyc
August 8th, 2012, 04:49
The Idea has crossed my mind to hire someone in Thailand as a remote worker to do task work online.

I thought that while I'm there, it might be a good opportunity to meet and interview people.

Anyone have any experience doing this?

I need someone with skills similar to a bookkeeper or teller. All work would be done online on the internet though.

They'd also have to be trustworthy.

Are there young guys willing to do this sort of work?

How much pay will they expect?

How would you go about finding people like this ( while I'm there) ?

Patexpat
August 8th, 2012, 14:16
I have lots of experience interviewing Thai staff ... and based on the description of the job you want done all I can do is wish you good luck! The work ethic here is very very different!

On a different note who exactly will be the employer and take care of things such as social payments and taxes?

Neal
August 8th, 2012, 18:09
I saw that earlier post. Wanted, punctual, honest, count money and do the books, employee in Thailand...... sorry after a through check of all residents my computer shows minus 4! :laughing3:

bruce_nyc
August 8th, 2012, 20:44
Not too encouraging.

To answer your question, it would be me. Just need one employee.

Here, someone would get $15 per hour minimum for similar work.

But since this would entirely be coning out of my pocket, the pay would have to be minimal. That's why I haven't hired anyone here.

christianpfc
August 9th, 2012, 03:49
I had (and still have) some office work to do which consists in a few hours copying and pasting sentences (English and Thai) from internet to a word document and formatting it. I asked a Thai friend and he agreed to do it for me (I think I offered 100 Baht per hour). I showed him what to do and all seemed clear. About two weeks later (back from holiday), I asked about the progress, and there were some problems. We wrote to and fro for about two weeks, even involving his Farang boss (who is a friend of mine as well), finally I gave up because I realized it will not work.

This is my only experience in having a Thai doing office work for me. I might try again (the same job) with another computer-literate friend.

bruce_nyc
August 9th, 2012, 04:29
Do you think it was a matter of him not being capable.... or him not being "trained" well enough.... or him just being too lazy to do it....?

That's why I was wondering about trying to set something like this up while I am there in person. While I'm physically there, I could train him myself personally. I think I would be able to tell, almost instantly, whether he would be able to handle the tasks or not. It's very routine and rote work. :sleepy2:

Patexpat
August 9th, 2012, 10:50
well you obviously don't like or wish to ignore teh comments here from peopel who actually run a business in Thailand, so let me refine my advice.

Go ahead and do it and let us know how you get on!

christianpfc
August 10th, 2012, 03:08
I have no idea why my attempt failed, it was a matter of simple computer literacy.

If you do it, you have to supervise for a bit to check everything goes right and make sure he continues work while you are still in Thailand for holiday so you can meet again in order to solve any problems that might occur; and in general make sure he does the job quick before he forgets what to do.

Liamog
August 10th, 2012, 03:27
Have you thought about employing a farang? I'd say there's a few guys there on a relatively low pension that might appreciate a few extra Baht each month.

ceejay
August 10th, 2012, 04:18
This is my only experience in having a Thai doing office work for me. I might try again (the same job) with another computer-literate friend.
In case you do, could I make a few suggestions that you may find helpful:
1) Don't tell your employee that the job is simple. Tell him you appreciate it is quite demanding, but you know he can do it.
2) Tell him that the work is important, but you are confident you can trust him with it.
3) Don't wait two weeks to check. Two days is more like it. Not a complete progress review, just a quick "How's it going?"
4) If things are wrong, don't just say "it's wrong". Say it's good, but not quite what you wanted and ask for changes to be made.

bruce_nyc
August 10th, 2012, 04:34
Well you obviously don't like or wish to ignore the comments here from people who actually run a business in Thailand...

No no, not at all. I appreciate all the insight. And all the answers I'm getting seem to be very similar.... I trust you guys know what you're talking about.

Have you thought about employing a farang? I'd say there's a few guys there on a relatively low pension that might appreciate a few extra Baht each month.

That hadn't occurred to me, frankly, because I figured that Thai workers would be happy working for less. But it's not a bad idea. I'm sure that anyone with the wherewithal to use this forum, for example, could easily handle the tasks I need done. Simple transactional work using email, google docs spreadsheet, etc. It's really nothing that involved. If anyone reads this and is interested, please feel free to PM me. Maybe we can meet while I'm there and discuss it more. ( I'll be in Pattaya most of the time from August 17th - September 23rd )

BonTong
August 10th, 2012, 08:16
Are there young guys willing to do this sort of work?

I've been running a business here in Thailand for several years and still can't even find anyone reliable enough to cut the grass and sweep the yard! Good Luck, but I doubt your plan will work.

Looking for "young guys" somewhat implies the kind of guys you meet socially in bars or wherever. Bad mistake! Have tried employing several "acquaintances": leopards don't change their spots.

If you're serious, look for an older women who has a job doing clerical work and wants a bit of extra cash in their spare time. But, if you're visiting as a tourist and don't speak Thai finding them will be very difficult. Finding someone who speaks adequate English will be even more difficult!

Sooty
August 10th, 2012, 10:50
Why bother? Surely a job interview isn't that great a way to make new friends. If you want cheap employees and don't care where they are located try www.elance.com (http://www.elance.com)

Patexpat
August 10th, 2012, 11:05

Strongly suggest you do some research on Thai empolyment law before you and/oryour employee get booted out with a nice big stamp in your passport!

bruce_nyc
August 10th, 2012, 11:21
@Sooty, That https://www.elance.com looks very cool.

Thanks for everyone's feedback. All great suggestions.

Neal
August 10th, 2012, 13:22
Obviously a past successful employer here!

In case you do, could I make a few suggestions that you may find helpful:
1) Don't tell your employee that the job is simple. Tell him you appreciate it is quite demanding, but you know he can do it.
2) Tell him that the work is important, but you are confident you can trust him with it.
3) Don't wait two weeks to check. Two days is more like it. Not a complete progress review, just a quick "How's it going?"
4) If things are wrong, don't just say "it's wrong". Say it's good, but not quite what you wanted and ask for changes to be made.

That hadn't occurred to me, frankly, because I figured that Thai workers would be happy working for less. But it's not a bad idea. I'm sure that anyone with the wherewithal to use this forum, for example, could easily handle the tasks I need done. Simple transactional work using email, google docs spreadsheet, etc. It's really nothing that involved. If anyone reads this and is interested, please feel free to PM me. Maybe we can meet while I'm there and discuss it more. ( I'll be in Pattaya most of the time from August 17th - September 23rd )
Be discreet and working from a secluded room should probably work well. Don't broadcast it but police are looking more for go go bars and things out in the open.

Beachlover
August 17th, 2012, 11:36
The Idea has crossed my mind to hire someone in Thailand as a remote worker to do task work online.
Just a quick one...

I would suggest going for someone from the Philippines for the sort of work you're after. They speak excellent English. They're diligent, process oriented, reliable and communicate far more clearly. They tend to be better-educated and possess better organisational and planning skills. They're perfect for task work online.

I'm really really generalising here, but the majority of Thais tend to be less reliable, poor in attention to detail, make illogical decisions and are blurry in their communications, both you explaining things to them and them explaining things to you. They lack planning skills and follow-through and if you're not versed with their culture and communication style, it can be difficult to help them accept constructive feedback.

There are lots of exceptions of course (my boyfriend being one of them). If you're really stuck on finding a Thai, I suggest you avoid anyone who's very "country" (i.e. from a rural background, poor education, not experienced with knowledge work etc.). Find someone who's grown up in the city and gone to university and you'll better your odds.

I employ a significant number of Thais now but my boyfriend does most of the work managing them (and he is fantastic at managing Thai service staff - everyone loves working for him). I get him to step in and talk to them when there's performance issues. I get to play the nice (but respected) guy.

based on the description of the job you want done all I can do is wish you good luck! The work ethic here is very very different!
Totally agree... a lot of Thais fit that mould.

There are exceptions and every now and then, you will come across a Thai who is diligent, driven, follows through and is fantastic to work with. Keep them as long as you can! Eventually they go out and start their own business.