PDA

View Full Version : Computer crashed

August 6th, 2012, 15:20
The shock of seeing all my files get deleted when my computer crashed yeasteday....then having to pay ┬г70 to fix it

Neal
August 6th, 2012, 15:29
There are many solutions for that not to happen again. First let me send my condolences as it happened to the company I used to own in USA and each time I just wanted to commit suicide! Everytime I thought I made sure enough precautions were taken so as not to happen again!
Anyway, you can get an auto back up on your computer but it doesn't usually help if you store the backup on a different area of your hard disk drive.
The one that I liked was either of two. I got a second tower and each day automatically, one tower was programmed to back up to the spare tower. Of course that may be prohibitive to you for lack of space or money.
The other way was we set up a system that our computer dialed out each day to a service which uploaded all the data each day. It was all done off premises in case of theft of the computer or fire, the data was still safe.

again I am sorry. It is devesating and you just think the world has ended.

August 6th, 2012, 15:48
Thanks Daboss.....the one positive is its like having a new computer again so fresh start

Neal
August 6th, 2012, 15:50
LOL! There is no advantage to losing everything!

ceejay
August 6th, 2012, 17:16
Hi BlueChris
Three suggestions:
If you don't already have an external disc drive, get one and use it for regular backups in future.
Now that you have a "clean" installation make what's known as a "mirror" of it before it gets cluttered up with stuff. You can store that on DVD's or an external site - it'll allow you to do a total rebuild even if your disc drive crashes.
How exactly you make mirrors and backups depends on your operating system.
If you are using a desktop computer get an uninterruptable power supply if you don't have one already. In the long run, a lot of crashes and disc failures are caused by fluctuations and occasional power outages in your normal domestic power supply. I have used this one for 4 years:
http://www.dabs.com/products/apc-power- ... tml?src=15 (http://www.dabs.com/products/apc-power-saving-back-ups-es-8-outlet-700va-230v-6P5M.html?src=15)
It's a nice unit and has UK 3 pin sockets rather than the kettle lead type. The software will even give you a safe close down if mains power fails while you have left the computer unattended.

Beachlover
August 19th, 2012, 22:21
Ah, Bluechris... 70 pounds is nothing. Just focus on being grateful you were able to recover it! If my laptop died and I had no back ups, I'd happily pay $100k to recover the data, if needed!

I've had a few laptops die on me so I'm pretty diligent about backing up. I keep a back up drive in my travel suitcase, separate from my laptop. One in the office and another at home. Plus, I've started maintaining a back up drive in an office abroad where I spend a lot of time.

christianpfc
August 21st, 2012, 01:58
Real men don't have backups. I have three.

(Read this on gayboythailand but don't know if it's his invention.)