PDA

View Full Version : Avoid Pattaya's New Taxis!

Manforallseasons
August 3rd, 2012, 14:57
This year Pattaya has added metered taxis, most stay in front of Central, Villa Market, and Tuck Com. They lay in wait for foreigners and hustle you off never using the meter or if asked they still don't use the meter and quote you a ridiculous fare.
My guess they are regulated like most things in Pattaya.

Narakmak
August 3rd, 2012, 15:00
These fake taxis are not new. They've been in Pattaya for many years now.
However you are correct, they do not use the meters.
They are owned by the same company that owns the baht bus cooperative.
In other words a total transport monopoly. Welcome to Pattaya.

August 3rd, 2012, 15:20
As far as the baht buses are concerned I have to say that a "total transport monopoly" that can deliver me to Jomtien for only 10B, has my complete support!

Narakmak
August 3rd, 2012, 15:56
Yes of course they are great when they are used as buses. But if you need a taxi charter off the very limited tourism routes, you are screwed.

August 3rd, 2012, 15:57
When traveling from Pattaya to Bangkok several days ago "on a whim" my hotel said they couldn't arrange a taxi as they needed 4 hours notice ( go figure !) so I said I would hail a cab, I checked with reception what the approximate fare should be (1200 baht was the suggested figure) and I walked around the corner from mosaik to the front of Tukcom where a "meter taxi" was sitting parked. I asked did he want to go to Bangkok and how much and after a moments surprise and thinking he said "ok 1500 baht" ( I should add that this happened to be one of those 7 seater type taxis and not a normal car) I said "no thanks, it should be 1200 I'll get someone else" to which he said "ah but that's as this is a 7 seater, let me ring my friend and swap cars and I'll happily do it for 1200 baht" - this he did and in seconds a normal metre taxi turned up, whisked me to Bkk without further ado and to me that's not a bad service from walking up to a random taxi driver on the street so so far they have my full support.

And they can't be any worse than the Bkk taxis who double their fares the minute it starts raining, I had one the the other who when I'd been charged 80 from Silom to Sukumvit then quoted me 200 baht just to let me in the taxi again as the rain had started and wouldn't use the meter, I asked him did he reduce his fares from the meter price when it was sunny and when he said no I said "well there's your answer" and both myself and my Thai friend told him we'd rather walk but I think the irony was lost on him, the next hailed taxi did i should add take us to where we needed to go, in the rain and on the meter so thankfully not taxi drivers are out to rip you off. Although I have to admit taxi drivers in my own city are no better so I doubt Thailand taxi drivers are any worse than anywhere else in that regard.

Narakmak
August 3rd, 2012, 16:01
Yes they can be worse than Bangkok! Typically, the standard charter rates in Pattaya are 4 to 5 times multiples a typical Bangkok metered fare.

Neal
August 3rd, 2012, 16:33
I think you pay for what you get.
I have used these Pattaya taxis many times and many times to carry groceries and other things besides my group of boys and many trips to the hospital. I know that convienience comes with an extra price as does comfort from bumping around in a baht bus, hard seats and usually no air con unless you boot the girlfreind ot dog out of the front, then deal with the cigarette smoke. The taxis are normally very clean, quick and comfortable.

I gather that the taxis are similar to most street and beach boys and some of the higher class rent boys. You pay usually for what you get! :sign5:

Narakmak
August 3rd, 2012, 16:38
You're obviously a rich bitch. Compare them to Bangkok taxi meters, same distance, and you're paying 4 times or more. If you think that's a good value, you're totally daft.

Neal
August 3rd, 2012, 16:44
I don't say that I am rich and I don't think my post suggested anything of the kind. If you READ what I said, I said you pay for what you get and what you want. Some people eat only at places that have set menus for 200 or 250 baht and some can eat at places that are 500 baht or more. There are jsut that other people's requirements and needs may be different than yours.

I do see that you are capable of finally quoting just the sentece that needs quoting and not the last 2 and 3 posts. I will make a note of that so that next time you post the last 5 posts, I just accidentally delete everything! :dontknow:

Narakmak
August 3rd, 2012, 16:46
Sorry but thinking the current status quo with chartered transport in Pattaya (baht buses and/or taxis) is adequate and acceptable is pretty idiotic. We need a real taxi meter fleet as in Bangkok, one that uses the meters.

August 3rd, 2012, 16:52
They are obviously working on the laws of supply and demand, Bangkok is coming down with both taxis and customers so fares are cheap and the taxi drivers there are obviously getting enough customers to keep them happy ( not that they'd ever admit that of course) whereas in Pattaya there is not so high a demand ( I assume) as it's a smaller city, hence shorter fares, hence less users and yes less competition - so if I was running a business I think I would believe it would be quite reasonable to charge a premium for my unique service as well. You may be right that another taxi provider would be welcome of course and perhaps this is something you could look into if you feel there's the business for it ??

August 3rd, 2012, 17:01
Yes of course they are great when they are used as buses. But if you need a taxi charter off the very limited tourism routes, you are screwed.

When I'm in Pattaya I'm a tourist - the Baht Buses get me to where I want to be 80% of the time, for next to nothing.

The other times, if I want to go somewhere off the Baht Bus routes - the hotel will almost always arrange transport at a fixed price, or I'll go talk to the little old man with the face like a prune that sits to the side of LCR and arrange a price with him.
If I want long-distance with a spacious vehicle I'll go talk to the guy at Pattayaland Travel Service - he speaks great English, his wife if very efficient, and everything is done and dusted in his air-con "office, with written receipts given

Avoiding taxi scams is not rocket science.
Anybody who just gets in a taxi in a foreign country and says "Take me to X", without any discussion on meters or prices, is an idiot.

Narakmak
August 3rd, 2012, 17:07
Oh on Narakmak, we are not going to get this board in trouble with city hall now are we?

DELETED! DaBoss! :angryfire:

August 3rd, 2012, 17:10
I don't see Narky's latest allegations surviving very long :laughing3:

August 3rd, 2012, 17:23
For I think the third time now - no I don't live there ( but I was in one of your mafia taxi's last week for what it's worth) and I thought it was clean, fairly priced for the service provided and efficient, which is what I believe Da Boss was trying to say, horses for courses, if their service works for you ( rip off or otherwise) great, use it and if not then don't - fairly simple. And my "perhaps you should look at starting a taxi company if you think there's room for more then" was absolutely tongue in cheek.

I think given the factors I have already stated including a smaller customer base and shorter journeys I think it's understandable that taxi's in Pattaya would have a different pricing structure than those of say Bangkok, I'm sure the same can be said for taxi's everywhere where different cost factors come into play - and I'm not dismissing your overview of it being a cartel, you're probably right about that but to hope and suggest and that you should get the equivalent of bangkok taxi rates from a tiny amount of taxi's in a different city with no history of using taxi's in such a big way as bangkok is a bit hopeful to say the least and I don't think it's unreasonable that Pattaya taxis charge more.

PS i would be careful what you type online as remember you can be held PERSONALLY responsible for it ( perhaps you don;t care but as you often remind me you are a resident of Pattaya and I would imagine alledging some of the the things you have ( whether they be correct or not?) may not be good for your health / visa !?

Neal
August 3rd, 2012, 17:40
Gee! You would think that now wouldn't ya?! I for one would like to live long enough to have dinner! :idea1:

Narakmak
August 3rd, 2012, 17:44
Truth is not appreciated here. Nothing new. The family background of Pattaya's Mayor and the way in which the taxi meters (same company as the baht buses) was approved by Pattaya City Hall is totally verifiable. It was widely reported in what passes for the local Pattaya press. If y'all want to walk around with rose colored glasses, be my guest.

anonone
August 3rd, 2012, 17:51
I have not used the meter-taxis in Pattaya, but I have charted a baht bus or two in my day. I have always been very happy with the costs.

Taking a group of 8 from Sunee to Dave Man for 150 baht seems like an incredibly good value to me.

August 3rd, 2012, 17:53
well if you feel so strongly about it then why not go down to City hall and tell the mayor exactly what you think of him and his taxi service - what's that saying "the TRUTH never hurts" - although I'm not sure that that would apply in this case perhaps :-) Good luck with that :-) I think there's a mountain of difference between "knowing" what's true and "saying" what you believe to be true on a "public forum" in a foreign country - but hey what would I know - as you like to try to remind me some often I don't live there so I'm sure you know best :-) ..........just for clarity my tongue is firmly lodged in my cheek right now just in case you don't get that.

Narakmak
August 3rd, 2012, 17:53
I have not used the meter-taxis in Pattaya, but I have charted a baht bus or two in my day. I have always been very happy with the costs.

Taking a group of 8 from Sunee to Dave Man for 150 baht seems like an incredibly good value to me.How about for one?
Look folks if you're a tourist, fine. But if you lived here without a vehicle, you'd get it.
What the monopoly does is force almost everyone to get private transport, clogging the roads.
Pattaya is a big city now. It's much more than the beach. It needs an integrated public transport system. Yes like Bangkok. Look at a map. The area is huge.

August 3rd, 2012, 17:55
Taking a group of 8 from Sunee to Dave Man for 150 baht seems like an incredibly good value to me.

Now that's just plain GREEDY !! lol

Neal
August 3rd, 2012, 18:10
Yes Narakamak, I don't think anyone doubts what you are implying. It is plain as the nose on your face (I think). The point that you have to understand as outlined by our famous Irish slut is that if you want to be outspoken and scream bloody murder, go ahead, but do it in a way that you don't drag others (me) down to the Watchai with you! I mean it's ok with me if you want to be found in a blanket in some poor deserted field one day but I would rather go a different route. Do as he says, go down to city hall, passport in hand and scream outloud who and who is mafioso and glory be to you as I sure will miss you. But to others, just word it so the board don't get shut down. Choose nice rosey words. Believe me it works! :munky2:

August 3rd, 2012, 18:42
HA ! You say "slut" like it's a bad thing !! :-) ......and anyway I'm not a slut, I'm just time and calendar challenged ! :-) - now a person who may LIVE in Pattaya and still be known to have their regular 4pm romps as often as they like now some might just call THAT person a slut ! but I of course would never be one to repeat such a vicious and baseless rumour ( it was four o'clock you said wasn't it ?? :-) .......however if that is true then I simply refer you to my first comment on the matter and suggest you don't give it a seconds more thought as as the song says "you are what you are" and there's no point trying to change now ducky :-)

Neal
August 3rd, 2012, 18:47
Don't know what you mean as I was busy reading a book at 4pm A N D 4:30pm! Eat your heart out!! And now going to Bruno's for one of his cold water Canadian Lobsters and Alaskan king Crab legs. Life is such :occasion9: a chore!

August 3rd, 2012, 18:54
well lets just hope that's the only crabs you pick up this week eh - at 4.pm or any other time !! :-) Lol

TOQ
August 3rd, 2012, 18:59
well lets just hope that's the only crabs you pick up this week eh - at 4.pm or any other time !! :-) Lol

You should see all the sand crabs that surround him every day at the beach. They all scurry over for his attention. It is quite a site to see :sign5:

stevehadders
August 3rd, 2012, 20:51
During my last trip in June I used one of the metered cabs, who DID use his meter (I was suprised) and remember being pleasantly surprised at the cost - went from outside Cabbages and Condoms back to BT - cant remember the actual price but was less than I imagined.
For me Pattaya has excellent transport links - ok its true you negociate with the Songtaew (sorry for spelling?) blue taxi (buses) if hiring just for yourself and going "off route", but stay polite and calm and they are great and fair in my opinion. If you're staying "on main route" the use of buses for 10 b from BT to Jomtien - a real bargain...On top there are many other taxi operators for Bangkok, airport etc, and the prices are reasonable. I don't think transport is a problem in pattaya at all - we can not same the same about other tourist areas, notably a rather popular Island where transport is far from paradise!

soi_toi
August 5th, 2012, 14:33
The drivers I've chatted with were quite friendly and one was quite cute. I was quoted 150 baht from BT to the Sanctuary TT, one way and would undoubtable be more on the return. I have never used them, I stick to the baht bus or boy w/ car.

$3USD for a ride hardly involves being a 'Rich Bitch" to any degree unless said person is on social assistance which would mean you're vacationing on my tax dollars and should probably head home before I get my boy to run you down.

Narakmak
August 5th, 2012, 15:02
150 baht is 4.75 dollars.
The last time I checked fares was quoted 300 baht Walking street to Jomtien.
I don't believe they use the meters.
I don't believe a 150 baht fare BT to Sanctuary is typical.
Also again I speak as a resident not as a tourist.
The taxis in Bangkok are mostly for residents.
With a real taxi meter system here and similar fares, they would be used a lot more by residents here as well.
Of course tourists don't really care about high fares for a short stay. That isn't the point. Residents are looking for an integrated public transport system and that includes taxi meters.
I'll ignore your personal insult.
How often do you think residents need a taxi to a tourist trap?
We need taxis for normal things, like restaurants on 3rd road, the hospital on Sukhumwit, grocery shopping etc.

kittyboy
August 5th, 2012, 16:15
OK..if I avoid the new taxis, what should I do?
Last trip to Pattaya I needed to go from sunee plaza to Pattaya Bangkok Hospital for a checkup. I took a taxi.
If there are few if any alternatives then I should walk the distance to make you happy? Give me a fucking break. Offer some alternatives - if not I will use the taxi services that are available.

Manforallseasons
August 5th, 2012, 16:25
OK..if I avoid the new taxis, what should I do?
Last trip to Pattaya I needed to go from sunee plaza to Pattaya Bangkok Hospital for a checkup. I took a taxi.
If there are few if any alternatives then I should walk the distance to make you happy? Give me a fucking break. Offer some alternatives - if not I will use the taxi services that are available.

Frankly, how you got there is up to you!