PDA

View Full Version : Taking a Thai friend to Bali

Oliver
August 2nd, 2012, 17:34
P. and I celebrate ten years together shortly and I'd like to take him to Bali on the anniversary of our fateful meeting. I've been twice before but alone.
Has anyone any experience of taking a Thai boyfriend there? Will he need a visa? Air Asia are offering some good early-booking deals.

Since I have single-handedly ( it seems to me) kept Western Union profitable over the period, I'm expecting a letter of thanks, at least.

pong
August 2nd, 2012, 18:07
was it not you who asked the same week or so ago-this or other board?
NO-for stays up to 3 weeks-its ASEAN-he does not need visa, but does need a full Thai passport-not a thing taken for granted for most normal barboys, ID is not enough. You do-but that means paying for an extra stamp BEFORE you pass immigration at any Indo airport-have cash US$ for that (25 or 30-max stay 1 month then), no fears beforehand and no airline to look stern and refuse. You will also need-for both of you, confirmed tickets OUT of Indo (whereever-they understand some people travel), in that allotted period, on Bali they are always stringent to check that.
AA changes over to DMuang as per 1/10. If you cannot find easy/cheap flights on the day you want, try via KUL and change there-many more flights.
Contrary to what many believe, Bali is not Buddist, but a form of Hindu.

August 2nd, 2012, 18:20
The only problem you might encounter is locals thinking your bf is Indonesian. Otherwise its a friendly place with no issues that I found.

Manforallseasons
August 2nd, 2012, 20:50
The only problem you might encounter is locals thinking your bf is Indonesian. Otherwise its a friendly place with no issues that I found.

I certainly agree, the only problem you might have is the food, I love it both the Muslim dishes, and the Balinese. Try to use the "Blue Bird" taxis as they are regulated by the gov't and won't rip you off. If he likes fish go to Jimbaron, beach lined with fish places. There is a gay beach and on one street there are many gay bars but don't expect anything much to happen before 11:30 PM.

August 3rd, 2012, 00:37
The last I heard the gay beach (well the raised food and drinks and sun lounging area just behind the beach actually if you mean the one close to Spartacus Villas etc) was being closed and the site being sold off for condo / hotel development around September last year ( 2011) - does anyone know if that "actually" happened or not ?

jvt22222
August 3rd, 2012, 07:40
If you are traveling from BKK and on AirAsia......... be sure to check which airport you leave from ..... they are moving their entire operations from Suwanabumi to Don Muang soon.

Oliver
August 3rd, 2012, 14:16
Thanks. Very helpful.
I'm sure that P. will love Bali.

thrillbill
August 3rd, 2012, 22:46
My Thai bf and I went to Bali during Songkran of 2011. No, he did not need a Visa (he already had a passport). Check to see if you do. We stayed at the small gay resort Spartacvs. Wonderful! In another town (15 minute drive by taxi) are 2-3 gay bars. I was surprised to see a fun caberet show there. Friendly staff. Yes, there is a mixed beach area, near Spartavux resort which becomes more "gay" by sunset including some commercial boys.

August 3rd, 2012, 22:52
Again if it matters to you do just check ( perhaps ring spartacus) if that gay beach area is still open as it was in July last year when I was there and the talk was of closing it after that at the end of the season ( just in case you travel all that way only to find a "beach" ) - not that the "gay" beach was anything worth talking about anyway, especially if you already have your BF with you as as Bill said it's main purpose seemed to be as a pick up joint ( which suited me perfectly I have to say as i was staying in spartacus it and there was a well trodden path between the two places by the end of my week as the locals there are VERY accomodating you'll find :-).

Neal
August 3rd, 2012, 22:57
Even though you are talking about a Thai b/f this thread belongs in SE Asia as there is too much talk about Bali.

August 4th, 2012, 08:25
I understand the 'new' gay beach is Batu Belig Beach between Seminyak and Canggu. i saw this on a forum with a link to a new gay resort near that beach.

danny99
August 4th, 2012, 15:52
, the only problem you might have is the food, I love it both the Muslim dishes, and the Balinese. Try to use the "Blue Bird" taxis as they are regulated by the gov't and won't rip you off. If he likes fish go to Jimbaron, beach lined with fish places. There is a gay beach and on one street there are many gay bars but don't expect anything much to happen before 11:30 PM.
Problem with the food??? Bali has the best selection of restaurants [from budget to fine dining] acrosss many different cuisines. than anywhere else in SE Asia!
The gay beach has long gone...local owner now a billionaire having sold off all of that Petitenget area over past few years.

A quick run around restaurants in that area:
Warisan - French fine dining
Sarong - Thai including many Royal Thai dishes mod priced [MUST book!]
Cafe Degan - traditional Thai [and Javanese] budget priced
EVO - fine dining Italian
Sasa - budget Italian
Kura Kura - fine dining French
MamaSan - wonderful Asian street food [non Thai]. [Evenings MUST book!]
Manekepis - Belgian
Queens Tandoor - high quality Indian
Tulip - Turkish
Mykonos - Greek
Khaima - Moroccon
Wah Wah - Foie Gras Burgers
Satay Bali - Balinese
Betawai - Javanese street food
Pili-Pili - very cheap Indonesian, mainly from Sulawesi
Lestari - Swiss
Layali - Arab and Lebanese
Ryoshi - Japanese and live Jazz

Food in Bali very high quality, very cheap by international standards, unllike rest of Asia most 'foreign' restaurants are operated by industry professionals from that country...sadly though imported beverages, spirits and wines are very highly taxed!

and if you must there are even a couple of Black Canyons.

hundreds more..look at http://www.balieats.com