PDA

View Full Version : Rainbows Are Coming

July 30th, 2012, 12:39
The thread about what our avatars mean has prompted me to tell you about the Rainbow Card that was launched on 1 July.

To give it its full and rather fancy title, The Rainbow Lifestyle Card, is a non profit discount card which was created by a co-op of gay websites and publications.

So what's different about it, I hear you ask?

Firstly, its free - more about that later. Secondly, its not tied to any one business as many other GLBT discount cards are. Thirdly, its coverage is intended to be Asia-Pacific in the short to medium term, and worldwide in the long term, rather than just Thailand.

The Rainbow Card Partners set up the card to try to encourage the GLBT community and GLBT friendly businesses to get closer together. The businesses by offering a discount or some kind of promotion to members, and the card holders by supporting GLBT businesses. The GLBT community is still under pressure in many countries, including many in Asia, and this is one small way to encourage solidarity in the community.

I said that the card is free, and currently, yes it is free for the asking. The partners in Rainbow Card are covering the costs of printing and mailing the cards, but there is no doubt that at some point in the future we may have to charge a nominal fee to cover those costs, or find a sponsor willing to support those expenses in exchange for advertising and promotional benefits. But that's in the future.

Since the launch of the card on 1 July, we have seen GLBT friendly businesses joining us from Austria, Bhutan, Cambodia, Canada, Hong Kong, Indonesia, Laos, Singapore, Thailand, and Vietnam. We are working hard to add more. We also now have hundreds of members from Asia, Europe, North America, and Australasia.

Sawatdee Gay Thailand has a definite bias (in the nicest way) to Pattaya and this town is one area where we are keen to add GLBT businesses, including the hotels, restaurants, and bars. It cost nothing for businesses to accept the Rainbow Card, except the offering of a promotion or discount to our members, and that often pays itself back quite quickly.

For those who would like a free card, please go to http://www.rainbow-card.com/get-a-rainbow-card
Business owners who are interested in signing up can visit http://www.rainbow-card.com/add-your-business
And we have an "About Us" page at http://www.rainbow-card.com/aboutus

DaBoss has kindly agreed a banner exchange with us, and we thank him for that :)

If any of you have any questions or comments, I'll be happy to address them as best I can.

Neal
July 30th, 2012, 15:13
I have often wondered why it seems that you are correct when you say there is a Pattaya bias. It just doesn't seem that there is a lot to talk about being in and around other parts of Thailand. Is it because most of the tourists and visitors come to Patttaya? I don't know. Personally I love Chaing Mei and have been to Hua Hin, Koh Samui Phuket and all sorts of places. I guess we need to open a new thread and see why most people on this board seem to talk about Pattaya. After all, everyone is welcome as this is primarily a Thai board. It includes everyone that loves the Thai culture, places, beliefs and foods of Thailand. Every part of it!

Dodger
July 30th, 2012, 15:37
Is it because most of the tourists and visitors come to Patttaya?

No, it's because Pattaya is the place where most of the boys come.

fountainhall
July 31st, 2012, 12:55
This sounds a great idea. But how will it differ from the Utopia card which has been offering meaningful discounts to gay venues around the region for well over a decade?

July 31st, 2012, 13:15
This sounds a great idea. But how will it differ from the Utopia card which has been offering meaningful discounts to gay venues around the region for well over a decade?

How does Mastercard differ from Visa, or Pepsi from Coke?
All can happily co-exist

July 31st, 2012, 16:43
I believe the Utopia Card is charged for - please correct me if I'm wrong - and its a commercial venture. Its run by the fine Utopia-Asia which is based in Thailand. Rainbow Card is a co-op which includes websites, publications, and social centres across SE Asia and not just Thailand, with the intent of staying free as long as we can. For the end user, I guess the only differences are how much it cost them and where they can use it, but we do believe there is room for a community player, and we are already looking beyond Asia. In these days of easy travel, we'd like to offer a card that can be used in as many different countries as possible.

jimnbkk
July 31st, 2012, 17:53
Sounds like an interesting concept. How do we know that a business is participating? Is there a 'rainbow card honored here' sticker in the window of the business similar to the way Visa and Mastercard works? I know you're just getting started, but the 'nuts and bolts' of a deal are important if it's to be usable.

July 31st, 2012, 18:04
There's a list on the website which is constantly updated:
http://www.rainbow-card.com/where-to-use-it
Stickers are planned but costs have to be kept down at this early stage so its not a priority right now - unless some kind soul wants to fund them :) We certainly have them planned for later. Currently our funds are used for printing and posting the member cards, and (so far only one) sponsoring Pride events where we can. Those sponsorships are one aim of our co-op.

bucknaway
August 1st, 2012, 07:22
Is the card the colors of the rainbow? I ask because I am Gay but I don't wear it on my sleeve. If I want to tell someone I am gay I would rather tell them than have a card in my wallet out me.

August 1st, 2012, 10:38
Is the card the colors of the rainbow? I ask because I am Gay but I don't wear it on my sleeve. If I want to tell someone I am gay I would rather tell them than have a card in my wallet out me.

:love4: I think the card in your wallet will stay there until you choose to 'out' it :)
If a guy in Uganda can be brave enough to ask for a card.... anyway, the purpose isn't to 'out' anyone but to give you some discounts at GLBT friendly businesses.

August 1st, 2012, 10:40
And a public big "Thank You" to Sawatdee Gay Forum, Pattaya Mobility, and Happy Place, for joining the Rainbow Card and offering discounts to card members :party

bucknaway
August 1st, 2012, 16:23
So the answer is yes that it is a rainbow colored card.
Sounds nice but I will have to pass.

August 1st, 2012, 17:50
So the answer is yes that it is a rainbow colored card.
Sounds nice but I will have to pass.

Sorry I didn't make that clear. Its a white card with our Rainbow logo on the top center ..

bruce_nyc
August 2nd, 2012, 08:42
Don't worry, Buck. If his avatar is the logo, it doesn't really look like the normal gay rainbow. The NBC television logo looks more gay. :happy7:

Neal
August 2nd, 2012, 22:18
Buckie, don't worry about the card safely tucked away in your wallet to give you away, its the boy on either side of you running out into the street and grabbing your cock might raise more eyebrows.

bruce_nyc
August 2nd, 2012, 22:42
:sign5:

Ha ha!!

Oh, is that what they were grabbing? I thought it was his wallet. :glasses7:

bucknaway
August 3rd, 2012, 07:37
Buckie, don't worry about the card safely tucked away in your wallet to give you away, its the boy on either side of you running out into the street and grabbing your cock might raise more eyebrows.

When I am in Thailand walking the streets of Sunee, I am not afraid of being Outed. In Thailand I am not concerned as much. At home I am a bit more discreet.

On this trip, when I walk the streets of Sunee, I am going to make the touts and host-guys sign something that says they sprung out of their seats to greet me on the street and snuck in a grope before I could get away from them.

I know it pisses a lot of guys off to hear that working guys are coming up to me and groping me and some of the gogo guys in the bars have offered me free sex. They didn't complain when I told about girls in Phuket pinching me and giggling as they walked past me on the street. I know I am not the only person that this happens to and they (The trolls) think that they can somehow use these events to attack me. Oh well, but it's those type of things surprising and fun things on the streets of Thailand that keep me coming back. When I visit Thailand and those special things stop happening to me, I will stop my visits. :dontknow:

bruce_nyc
August 3rd, 2012, 09:07
Methinks that "special things" will never stop happening to you there... But you might have to start dropping a couple bucks here and there.... as you approach 100. The good news is, as your vision begins to go, the boys will begin to look better and better ( even if they're getting uglier and ugli :alc: er) .

Neal
August 3rd, 2012, 09:29
OK Buckie, now you have explained it better. The touts and the hosts. Well of course baby they're trying to catch you or even me to catch some cash! Yes, yes, yes, now it makes sense. Lovey, many of them tell me they will go home with me for free sex. and then, when it's over, they give me a sob story that they are living in the street because they have just been locked out of their "loom" or mama needs an operation etc. Sure the freaking mamasans, boys and so many others are going to goose the goods. Watch me as I go through an area or into a bar. You would think I was one of these boys from a boy band with A 12 inch who ha. In fact those type of people have even been so bold and desperate to goose Scottish Guy! :sign5:

The way you wrote it, regular people were just grabbin the goods everywhere you turned. Geez for a minute there I had thought I lost my fine looks! :tongue3:

bucknaway
August 4th, 2012, 01:37
The only time "regular" guys have done such things have been in and around Silom. Sometimes I welcome it and a few times it has pissed me off when they don't take no for an answer.

I won't have a guy suffer me when I get to the point of being less than attractive and each year I ask myself if this will be my last, but God has been merciful on my average appearance.

bruce_nyc
August 4th, 2012, 05:06
God has been merciful on my average appearance.

:occasion5: I love that line.

What do you plan to do once you "get to the point of being less than attractive"...?

What about the rest of your life...??

bucknaway
August 4th, 2012, 05:38
I'm lucky because I can be alone but I'm never lonely.

Give me a few good friends and I'm satisfied.

August 4th, 2012, 07:28
Yes ..i'm like that...i know a lot of people but like being on my own most of the time..happy in my own company
i did'nt have much family growing up so became quiet independant...i just need a few good friends and its nice to be with my bf ..when i'm in Thai

August 4th, 2012, 08:01
Rainbow Card is happy to Welcome the Netherlands-based Castle Gay Guide as a new regional partner. We are expanding into Europe :)

August 7th, 2012, 22:00
Rainbow Card is happy to welcome two more Pattaya bars - both Panorama bar & Happy Boyz now offer discounts to card members. Q Magazine in Australia has also joined us.

Patexpat
August 7th, 2012, 22:33
This may at first glance sound like a bashing, but really take note and regard this as constructive criticism.

Well my friend has just received your card after waiting 7 or 8 weeks - he was told the delay was due to the number of applications to be processed but as his membership number is between 50 and 70 we both find that hard to believe!

If you are trying to create a quality product then the card itself really needs a revamp! Now I know a professional card printer costs a minimum of B60,000 (I know cos I sell them!) but to send out a badly printed, laminated paper membership card that isn't even cut squarely and looks like its been done by a 10 year old does not shout quality!

OK budgets may be tight but jeeze at least use a colour printer that prints colour (price less than B1,000) and make the cards look and feel like a product people want to carry about in their wallets if you want to be successful. Use individual laminated pouches ... we recommend this approach to many of our clients and it works well, looks good and is not expensive!

Just our tuppence worth.

bruce_nyc
August 7th, 2012, 23:09
I think this card is a great idea. I do like that it's not tied to any one business. I also like that it's free.

Is Cafe Royale a member yet? I need them to join before 17 August, when I arrive. :)

And do the go go bars offer discounts? One day I can see individual go go boys offering member discounts too. lol

frequentflier
August 8th, 2012, 02:57
My card arrived in the post yesterday..Hope to use it soon.

August 8th, 2012, 07:36
Fair comment about the quality of the cards, and the length of time it takes to get them out.
We have a budget of virtually zero, but we've managed to print hundreds of cards on that. The reason it takes so long is that they are printed in batches of 10, and each card is different in that it is numbered and it has the members name on it. On top of that we post them to location as diverse as Kenya, Brasil, Australia, UK, US etc. The set up currently is not ideal, but despite the fact that the cards are not high quality credit card-type plastic cards, the point is that they can used to get discounts and promotions in gay businesses, and they are free unlike many other discount cards.
We initially were going to charge for the cards, but decided to keep it free as long as we can. We have plans to upgrade the cards when funds allow, or a sponsor is found. We do have a big list of cards waiting to go out. If we could spend 50,000-60,000 baht for those fancy cards, we'd need to charge for them to re-coup some of the costs, and the time it takes to get them out to the member might not be any quicker. Currently, we do offer a download of the card if anyone wants that.

August 8th, 2012, 07:43
I think this card is a great idea. I do like that it's not tied to any one business. I also like that it's free.

Is Cafe Royale a member yet? I need them to join before 17 August, when I arrive. :)

And do the go go bars offer discounts? One day I can see individual go go boys offering member discounts too. lol

The Cafe Royale hasn't joined us so far, but it would be very nice to see them, and many of the other GLBT friendly venues in Pattaya, accepting the card.

There's a list of places that accept the card here http://www.rainbow-card.com/where-to-use-it/, and its updated every time a new business joins us.

August 8th, 2012, 09:11
This may at first glance sound like a bashing, but really take note and regard this as constructive criticism.

Well my friend has just received your card after waiting 7 or 8 weeks - he was told the delay was due to the number of applications to be processed but as his membership number is between 50 and 70 we both find that hard to believe!

If you are trying to create a quality product then the card itself really needs a revamp! Now I know a professional card printer costs a minimum of B60,000 (I know cos I sell them!) but to send out a badly printed, laminated paper membership card that isn't even cut squarely and looks like its been done by a 10 year old does not shout quality!

OK budgets may be tight but jeeze at least use a colour printer that prints colour (price less than B1,000) and make the cards look and feel like a product people want to carry about in their wallets if you want to be successful. Use individual laminated pouches ... we recommend this approach to many of our clients and it works well, looks good and is not expensive!

Just our tuppence worth.

Further to your comments, we have already now started looking at alternatives. One we are actively looking at is a business card sized plastic card, but with these it would not be possible to print membership numbers or member names due to the additional costs. I'm not sure if 'anonymous' cards would be acceptable to our businesses, its something we have to put to them.

Neal
August 8th, 2012, 10:18
I have not seen them so I don't know what anyone is talking about but I do know when I was in business in the states, we had a VIP card that was hard plastic like a credit card. They were embossed with consecutive numbers. We submitted names to the embosser every 10 - 20 and they were run through the machine and the name was put on.

August 8th, 2012, 10:27
I have not seen them so I don't know what anyone is talking about but I do know when I was in business in the states, we had a VIP card that was hard plastic like a credit card. They were embossed with consecutive numbers. We submitted names to the embosser every 10 - 20 and they were run through the machine and the name was put on.

Thanks :) We can do that here but as noted costs are critical at this early stage, especially when there is zero income! Adding numbers and names to the cards costs more, as well as taking longer to print. As said above, we're exploring possibilities and all suggestions are welcome!

Neal
August 8th, 2012, 10:38
Well if you are printing expiration dates on them and consecutive numbers and names, it may be an expensive way to do it anyway. How about no name but still using the plastic hard card with pre-printed numbers and a signature panel on the back? You could print 500 - 1,00 and have it over with. In fact if you had two panels or one slightly larger, you could put in ink the expiration date and when the customer gets it, they have to sign it or it is invalid?

Patexpat
August 8th, 2012, 11:24
A cheap option that looks fine is to print your card as you do now (but with a colour printerthat works!), cut neatly to a credit card size and then use a credit card sized laminate pouch that you run through a laminating machine.

Cheap but looks ok ... we recommend this to our clients on a budget!

August 8th, 2012, 15:08
Good idea Patexpat - but it's so cheap for businesses to buy bespoke "real" plastic "credit cards" these days that I wonder why people don't just do that.
You can even have them sequentially numbered, with a signature strip etc - a really professional look for relatively little cost
A quick look on Google pulls up really cheap prices - even for small quantities.
In marketing, image is everything - amateurish membership cards make the product look substandard (not getting at Rainbow - I'm speaking generally).

August 10th, 2012, 21:22
Thanks guys, we are looking at these suggestions and some others. I think your criticisms are very constructive :)

bruce_nyc
August 10th, 2012, 21:59
I agree with Scottish and Neal. Those laminate pouches aren't much cheaper than just making a "real credit card" type hard plastic card with sequential numbers embossed on each one.... especially when ordered in any quantity.

Could merchants call a ( known in advance ) telephone number ( or email address ) to verify the authenticity, and/or the name of the cardholder, and/or the expiration date of the card.... all by that card number? Or would that be too much trouble for them? It could be something optional, that a merchant could choose to do if they wanted to. "Up To Them."

August 10th, 2012, 22:13
All these types of card are essentially Discount Cards - in most cases the merchant isn't that concerned about the identity of the person presenting the card, they're just happy to give 10% off (or whatever) to get your business.

Neal
August 10th, 2012, 23:24
EXACTLY! What do I as a merchant care who is using the card as long as it brings a person into one of my boys businesses. I just want them to buy!

bruce_nyc
August 10th, 2012, 23:40
EXACTLY! What do I as a merchant care who is using the card as long as it brings a person into one of my boys businesses. I just want them to buy!

That's good to know..... I'm going to get my own cards printed up..... "Bruce Cards".... they are good for an automatic 50% discount on everything all the time. :ow:

Neal
August 11th, 2012, 00:01
Very cute. I can only tell you what our bar does. Our staff is instructed to accept any discount membership card from anywhere in the world even if it is expired! all get 10% discount no matter what the card states. Its called customer appreciation. In our bar we don't ask customers to buy cards to get a discount, or VIP cards. You are all VIPs to us. And btw, if the waiter seems confused ask for the manager or M and tell them its a discount card for 10% and Papa says its ok. :tongue3: We love regular customers! :ura1:

August 11th, 2012, 11:45
Nice Daboss :)
Unfortunately some of our businesses have insisted on the cards having names on them. We're trying to see if we can persuade them to drop that.

Neal
August 11th, 2012, 13:10
I'm sorry but that sounds absolutely absurd as it means the difference in making a sale and possibly not. You don't cater to every whim of the business or member. If you did it would be like running this board and listening to every petty complaint!

August 11th, 2012, 16:32
It's not perhaps as petty as it first sounds ( depending how you look at it) as what I am guessing those businesses fear is perhaps a large group of people coming in, all with separate check bins etc and the one card being passed around and presented many times over when it came to bill paying time, the simple and cheap answer to this is if you want to address that for them is to get the card printing company to print a number (any number) on the front of card as this then identifies that card, this is very inexpensive and most card printing companies actually build that into their initial quote to you anyway as it's taken as "read" it may be needed ( I would argue that your card doesn't in fact need one and quite simply the more people that use it, whether it's theirs or not is a win win both for the customer AND the business - and your Rainbow business as more people will want a card once they see it working and hence your advertising opportunities etc increase.)

Alternatively and as Da Boss say's it is slightly short sited of the business to think like that about people transferring cards as rather than look at it as "oh my god we have just had to give those seven people who have just came in 10 % discount and we KNOW they were all using that same card" they SHOULD be thinking "wow, look, we've just had seven customers come in spending money and all just for giving a simple 10% discount" - which lets face it the average business would do on the whole in a blink anyway just to get those customers or more importantly GROUP of customers in or to get or keep their business on any given night and would be ( or SHOULD be) quite happy about that.

And lets face it ( and this is my only complaint about card schemes such as this) most businesses don't actually grasp the potential of the card and so DO only give the most minimal discount that is suggested to them (usually at the time of the card promotion company trying to get them on board so he suggests something that he knows isn't going to bother them too much, so the offer ends up as something that they usually would have happily given anyway if asked and even then they try to load it with so many other terms and conditions ( only usable Mon - Fri or only outside happy hour times, or only on certain products, or only for room discounts of XX rate and not the REAL rate that you can get all the time from Agoda or "whatever, or only if the card is presented at time of booking, in person, with ID and only if accompanied by both grandparents ! ( OK that last one I made up :-) but in doing so they are missing the whole point, which is to let customers think they are getting something they would not get at other times as it's a "special" discount and by doing so will thus enthuse and encourage that customer to come back - hopefully often, spending more overall and next time perhaps bringing their friends ! It's a different form of marketing and one that by giving the most basic, minimum discounts possible companies perhaps miss out on the REAL potential increase in sales.

Ok, I'll sit back and wait for the "ah but if you knew what we were paying for a bottle of XXX and the little we were making in low season you wouldn't say that" - which may well be true, it simply doesn't matter, the marketing logic is the same, even if you're making a small loss on that one thing / sale, it's about creating a loyalty and feel good factor with your customer, who will then over time spend more, this is a tried and tested marketing technique and one that is rarely grasped by most businesses who still try to ensure that they are always making their margin ( albeit slightly reduced one - but not by much mind) on single every product, all the time, everytime, usually then resulting in not so hot great offer in the end after all once the customers starts reading into the small print or walks in to the place and see's a 1-% off Mon -Fri sign stuck to the wall and thus they stop using the card and so no one gains in the end and the scheme just fizzles out.

* I should state that I'm not talking about the Rainbow scheme in particular here but card schemes in general - although I have to be honest I did glance down the list of "benefits" and read the T&C's and after reading them all versus the benefits given I personally thought I couldn't be annoyed for all it would add up to on a trip for the hassle of presenting each time etc and personally felt it just wasn't worth the bother of carrying it, remembering where accepted it and then going there - but that's a purely personal view and I'm sure others will disagree and may in fact have already found their card to have been of great use and if so I wish them well with it.

aot871
August 11th, 2012, 17:15
regarding the cafe royale allowing the rainbow card you must rember that the farang manager is an ex school teacher and while a nice guy is not really into the ins and outs of running a good business in pattaya , as to drink prices in boys town please note its the soi mafia or the cartel which ditats the prices as we all know. by this I mean soi 3, cafe royale, copa, etc

August 11th, 2012, 18:07
I'm in business, and I can honestly say I would not give a flying fuck if 7 people came in and sat passing a single discount card between themselves - I would not be worrying about "losing" 10%, I'd be rubbing my hands in glee that I had 7 customers all buying something at 90% full retail price.

Translate that to a bar and if each of the 7 buys a round each its almost 50 drinks!! Who cares about giving 10% discount.

If businesses can't afford to give 10% discount without having to get their knickers in a twist about the identity of the Cardholder or even the expiration date - then they're doing something seriously wrong!

:occasion9:

Neal
August 11th, 2012, 20:42
Amen to that!

August 11th, 2012, 22:21
This Is really useful input guys - thanks :love4:

bruce_nyc
August 12th, 2012, 01:03
Nirish, As a customer, what % discount would make you feel like carrying the card would really be worth it...?

August 12th, 2012, 01:23
Thats a good question Bruce and one to which I'm not sure that there's a simple straight forward answer.

I think as I'd said in my last post there were several reasons that I generally wouldn't be bothered which such schemes ( not just rainbow card) and they usually boiled down to either the offer not being that special in the first place or the restrictions making the card void at the very times you perhaps wanted to us it) i.e ( and not an actual example ) but a sauna giving you say a 10 % discount but that only being valid for entry before 5pm and only when paying the full ticket price and only when accompanied with ID and only on presentation to the manager etc ( and when you got there there was usually some promotion running anyway or the discount actually only equated to maybe 30 baht or something anyway) so for me that wouldn't be enough for me to change my plans for the sake of saving that 30 baht - I know with some people it would but personally not enough for me.

But in answer to your question I'm not sure exactly what WOULD be enough as I'm generally the sort of person who CBA carrying and using cards such as this anyway so I guess the figure for me would have to be reasonably high for me to take interest or much notice or even remember the place used the Scheme - but that, I would suggest is the businesses problem to devise their offer to absolutely try and whet the appetites of people like me - or not at all as they see fit ! - as they may decide that I'd come anyway and pay full whack ( and they may well be right about that) but how often and what recommendations would they then get out of that? - not a lot, well from me anyway.

So, I don't know, there's not one simple answer, but a GENUINE good discount and an easy to use scheme with little restriction and simple administration and not having to wave a card round like some cheap charlie all to save 30 baht would I guess be the starting point for me, what about yourself, what's your ( and everyone else's) thoughts on the subject?

joe552
August 12th, 2012, 01:29
I don't think I'd be inclined to use a card such as this. A discount of 10% is neither here nor there in a bar or club situation. I would be more likely to use a specific loyalty card from a particular bar - so, for instance, spend 5000Bt in a week, get a free off (or whatever). I tend to stick to one or two places when I'm there, so a generic discount card wouldn't have much appeal. Just my 2 cents worth.

August 12th, 2012, 01:35
I agree Joe - however your answer "should" prick up the ears of the other bars that you DON'T drink / stay in as you've just said basically that if AN OTHER bar ( that obviously you liked aside from the card issue) put on a GOOD offer that meant something to you in real terms ( and with regards to the off was actually costing them very little) that would encourage you to return and spend more - over and above what you would normally spend there perhaps, just to reach that magic target figure. The key thing for the bar then is to make that figure reachable and not be inclined to work against their usual margins and end up simply trying to rob Peter to pay Paul as customers aren't stupid and most can count just as well as everyone else and know when their not getting a true good loyalty bonus.

joe552
August 12th, 2012, 01:39
sorry, NIrish - I didn't quite understand your point :dontknow:

(I have had a couple of cans, so I'm reading a bit slower that normal)

August 12th, 2012, 01:48
lol dont worry about it, basically I'm agreeing with you and stating that an offer like that would be of more interest to me too perhaps, although I can see Ad min issues arising as to how the bar keeps tab on ones tab so to speak - but that's their / the card issuers problem I guess. Enjoy your beer/s :-)

joe552
August 12th, 2012, 01:54
I'd be interested to see what DaBoss thinks - something he'd consider? :dontknow:

August 12th, 2012, 01:58
I think Da Boss is already well up for such things and understands the importance as I know he gives free offs on his boy bingo as well as many other prizes ( of which I have been a beneficiary I should add for the sake of full disclosure) - however I think his last promotion was a little bit loaded the wrong way as I could have sworn it was something like spend 100000 baht get a free off with a boy but spend only 1000 baht and get a free off with him !!!! lol

joe552
August 12th, 2012, 02:00
:sign5: so there ARE some offer you can refuse :occasion9:

August 12th, 2012, 02:05
;-) who said I refused - not only did I not refuse but thrown into the deal was a slap up top notch dinner in a top restaurant, with pleasant conversation throughout complete with a taxi service ! That was the best 1000 baht off I've ever had !! I'm trying to remember exactly who's dinner it was I actually had that night.......oh yes, now I remember, I think it was YOURS Joe ......well, just so you know, it tasted WONDERFUL :-) lol

But sorry we're getting off topic and we don't want he who must be obeyed having to spank us ( no Joe you DON'T want that trust me! ) so, getting back on topic - what's other's view card schemes, valued and welcome or a waste of energy and not worth the bother ?

And to the OP please don't think I'm trying to put a downer on YOUR card, I'm not, I'm working on the basis that all views are constructive and might help you fine tune things to make an even better success of the cards usage overall.

joe552
August 12th, 2012, 02:09
:sign5: bastard, I was just getting over that trauma :occasion9:

August 12th, 2012, 02:15
well I'll not even tell you just how good the chocolate surprise was - SURPRISE, hell I was so shocked I almost bought a round ! lol

Neal
August 12th, 2012, 02:18
Oh ou two are just so cute!! :evil4:
I am very intrigued by this. We had a loyalty card which we gave people free that gave them 10% off when we saw that they were in often. They did not really use it. We changed it to ANY loyalty card including an AAA card or an airline card, they don't use it. I know that I use my Villa MArket card or when I go to Funny Boys I use their card. I don't believe in buying a VIP or loyalty card as then anyone can be a loyal member.
I had thought that getting one free because your face was recognized in a particular place was an excellent idea but it seems it doesn't work either! :dontknow:

Yes as a PS at Christmas time we give out actual presents and the customers are shocked and appreciate it, so that gets us back to getting something when you fill up a card or something like that. maybe a box of chocolate!

August 12th, 2012, 02:26
" At christmas we give out presents"

Yes - a Jewelry box with a cock on it in my case if my memory serves me right, my poor mother still hasn't got over the shock ! :-) And that's TRUE !!!! haha

August 12th, 2012, 02:35
On a point of constructive criticism Neal - you mention the promotions and the cards you take - actually almost any card etc - well I've been in your bar numerous times and short of you mentioning it on here a few times there's not as much as a poster up or a wee plastic slip in the check bin promoting that ( good) policy - marketings all very well but if you're customers aren't aware that you're doing it then you can't be surprised when they don't avail of your offer.

Likewise with other bars in the Rainbow scheme, I'm guessing if I walked into half of them right now there would be no poster up saying "we take rainbow cards" etc as they would be scared that people might actually ask for their discount, thus invalidating the whole bigger reason why they joined the scheme in the first place which should have been about encouraging return visits and an increased overall spend, which just makes me hark back to the fact too many of them throw a basic "ok, there's xx% off" that'll do, we've got an offer on now" without actually finding out does it make their customers ears prick up and are they using it - and if not tweak and change the offer until they do otherwise what's the point in bothering - and that applies to both parties!

bruce_nyc
August 12th, 2012, 02:51
My BF says, "25%" .....is the magic number.

"Anything less than 25% off and it's not even worth it."

( ....as in, it's not even worth carrying around a card or checking to see where it's accepted. )

August 12th, 2012, 02:54
I would tend to agree with him. But before bar owners starting having heart attacks at the thought of giving 25% off to lots of their customers I do concede for some in the current climate that may not be possible or preferable and so that's where they need to get creative and offer something that's not costing them the earth ( a free off ) or a jug of beer or some food or a plate of nibbles or something, as if the value isn't the over riding issue then small things regularly are the way to go.

Neal
August 12th, 2012, 05:49
25%? 25?!! 25%??!!! Help me Jesus! I'm coming to you mama! Oh it's the big one!!

August 12th, 2012, 14:37
No Rainbow Card accepting business that we know about has a sign up. Many have asked for stickers and Its something we are looking to budget for.

bruce_nyc
August 12th, 2012, 20:17
Little round pin-on buttons wouldn't be a bad idea either, that go go boys could pin on to their bikini underwear next to their number.

August 12th, 2012, 22:25
Only if I can be the one to pin them on :blackeye:

August 12th, 2012, 22:30
No !! Dont' bother even trying that as as we all know go go boys wouldn't like to give you a "discount" for love nor money as they say hence the only thing they could do is reduce the service time accordingly "pro-rata" and I'm damn sure I don't want to find myself in a situation someday where in the midst of a mind blowing blow job just at the point of no return he stops and says " sorry, I stop now" 10% discount means 90% blow job!! " I think definitely this is one instance in life where we're all just better paying the full rate and being done with it !! lol

August 13th, 2012, 11:46
I'm pretty sure that was 'tongue in cheek'.... or perhaps tongue in ....

August 13th, 2012, 15:39
:-) Yes, I got that - just like my reply :-)

bruce_nyc
August 13th, 2012, 23:09
Around here, tongues are always assumed to be.... in.... unless stated otherwise. :ink:

August 18th, 2012, 12:04
Banyan House hotel in Samui has joined us with some very generous offers - 20% off room rates and 15% off restaurant bills.

August 19th, 2012, 19:17
Vincent's Restaurant in Bangkok has joined the Rainbow Card with a nice discount on food and beverages.

August 30th, 2012, 18:04
I'd like to thank everyone who made some very positive suggestions for us recently. We have now printed plastic cards - with membership numbers - to replace the rather poor paper and laminate cards we initially produced. Unfortunately we can't at this stage replace the earlier cards. They not only look more professional but should also arrive in your postboxes a little faster. We post them In batches of 10 usually and Its then up to the postman.

August 30th, 2012, 18:36
If it's the difference between your total existing customer base now maybe deciding not to bother using their old ( by your own admission) unprofessional cheap looking paper laminate cards and just throwing them in the bin (as they know there's now something better out there as of course everyone wants to feel that they are valued and they have the best and not look like a poor relation when pulling out their card) would it not perhaps be a sound investment to "upgrade" everyone at the same time and start afresh to "launch" your new card? - I'm guessing it's maybe the cost of postage etc that's stopping you BUT if that lack of (reasonably small) investment right now means the chances of your existing customer base falling away and stopping using their paper cards etc then surely it's might be worth the investment in the medium term to stop that happen ? - This is perhaps where a small charge ( like a one off 1000-2000 baht sign up fee to the business signing up might help you offset these initial start up costs if for now you can't afford to fund these yourselves yet? Just a thought.

August 30th, 2012, 19:15
Thanks for this input. Yes its a financial decision. The original cards have been printed with numbers and names, put in envelopes and posted to addresses in Australia, the US, China, Japan, and even Brasil, amongst other places. Those cards may not be pretty but they are usable, which Is the main criteria. Re-doing that will take our meagre resources away from printing and distributing more cards, and from our wish to support Pride events when ever we can. If resources allow at a later date we might look at replacements.
In respect to charging business, l think Its unlikely any business will or should pay a fee to offer a discount. I couldn't see that happening, as some are even reluctant to offer just a small discount.
I do appreciate your suggestions .

August 31st, 2012, 01:29
Neal out of interest as a business person what's your thoughts on that re a business paying a small token fee ( 1000-2000 baht) to register with the scheme - if perhaps you were getting say a few free posters and stickers to put up (should you chose to) and perhaps a supply of cards to give out to YOUR VIP customers etc ? Would you see that as reasonable ? as I strongly believe that if people don't see or feel a "worth" to something i.e they've paid for it, then they don't place a value on it to their business - (oh and I'm not doubting your view here Mr Rainbow :-) just interested to hear a random Pattaya business owners view) - and don't worry Neal I'm not proposing you get a backdated invoice or anything lol

August 31st, 2012, 02:28
I think my answers and questions are going to unfortunately lead to bad feelings rather than easy answers.
I don't start off endeavors on a shoe string budget so I certainly would not have started this off with a color printer and paper cards if I really wanted to make something look professional. That was the first mistake.

I then would not have delayed peoples cards for a month or two waiting for a quantity of cards to be sent.
OK now we have jumped the hurdle of the plastic card and my next question would be, what is the color of the card. Does it look like the current logo? My guess is that if the endeavor is working on a shoe string budget, the answer would be no because a rainbow type card would be more expensive than a one color card with raised number being in a different color. Remember i have experience in printing these cards because of membership to bookstores I used to own so I am not talking out of my toot. So I am curious to see this "new card".

Now we are talking about that this program does not have enough capital to even print off stickers to put on member doors to announce that the card is accepted at that location. another bullet in the foot.

No NIrish, the store or shop should not be responsible to pay costs of becoming an accepting member. I have never heard of that but if one was going to really try to make this an accepted and desired card, one would be looking to the joining card holder for a $5 or $10 fee which in turn would pay for these costs. What you are looking for is a large acceptance base to attract cardholders to apply and get the fee from the peopel who then want to get these discounts. I think the problem would be the other way around and that is to prove to joining establishments how many card holders you have that are likely to visit your establishment and that's why the fee comes from the card holder.

Now we see a problem with not enough capital to replace cheap paper card with the plastic ones. To me that is just postage and a little printing on the computer as to why you are replacing the card.

I have severe doubts that this program will get off the ground properly with so many budget problems. Surely it will never be a big money maker and needs good capital to get it off the ground. There are too many gay companies, travel and otherwise to require a need for yet another discount card, but be as it may, it needed a roper capital investment and not one that is already having problems with the printing of literature, cards and postage. What can I say? These are my thoughts. This was not the time to be discussing all of this. The time to have done the research was before the business was launched.

August 31st, 2012, 02:47
Opps ! you've gone and said it all now haven't you !! lol Alas I have to agree with you on just about every point ( well except for who pays for the joining fee at the start perhaps, but to smooth that issue bugger it, why not just charge both parties a small joiners fee which can only work to help the much needed cashflow. Like you probably I haven't wanted to say much re this ( in any critical way) as I genuinely wish the people running this the best, just as I would like any new business. However it seems that they've been busy recruiting businesses to sign up and people are applying so perhaps all is not lost and with a fair wind and some good luck as all new businesses need they'll get over their teething problems and things like start to fly for them.

But I do agree that some of the easy to think of / fix issues could and should perhaps have been looked at before the launch took place to make things run a bit smoother after launch - but in hindsight ( which is a wonderful thing of course) I know there's a hundred things I could and should have done before starting my own business when I did several years ago, but like everything you work at it, you learn and tweak as you go and if you're lucky you come out the other side stronger and wiser and maybe a bit richer ( I'm still wondering what happened to that last part in my business plan lol) so I'm sure you'd join with me in wishing the guys all the best and I'm trust with some hard work and a bit of luck they'll be well on their way to being a slick profitable business in no time ! :-)

Neal
August 31st, 2012, 03:02
I do wish them all the luck in the world and do hope that they can change this around. I don't like to see car crashes or people falling off cliffs in slow motion.

My suggestion at this point is to make the card look like the logo which will not be cheap. send replacement cards out to those who got paper cards. stickers for member doors saying that the card is welcome here. This is a minimum.

August 31st, 2012, 03:11
The good news is that with the advent of digital printing the cost between one colour print and full colour print is now only pennies sometimes depending on quantities etc :-) I agree with you about the "minimum" needed to get things going with a bang but I guess if budget is an issue they perhaps need some ultra wealthy go go bar type to invest !! lol - ha ha I'm already laughing at the thought of you laughing Neal at me using the words "ultra wealthy" and "go go bar owner" all in the one sentence as if once you are one thing the other "obviously" follows - as we all KNOW that you're raking it in with all those 99 baht beer offers you put on so often as you've obviously got that much money these days that you're GIVING it away to us now :-) lol

Neal
August 31st, 2012, 05:21
Didnt you see my Rolls Roysce speed past your little Wave motorbike on the way to Cafe des Amis?

August 31st, 2012, 11:55
Thanks for all your comments. We have tried to take on board your suggestions, which is how and why we tripled our printing costs by have plastic cards professionally printed; we can't do it all but we certainly take onboard what's being said for the future. The new cards are very similar in design to the originals.
I have already said we would look at replacing the old cards and producing stickers when it becomes feasible. If anyone feels they want to donate or become sponsors then we'd be very happy to look at that :)
So far we have quite a number of businesses involved http://www.rainbow-card.com/where-to-use-it/ and the membership base is growing daily. We do ask you to remember that we are trying to do this not as a 'money spinner' or as a commercial operation, but as a way of bringing the GLBT community closer in what ever way we can. While gay life here in Thailand is pretty much free and easy, its not like that even in our neighbouring countries, and you'd be surprised how many Malaysians and even some Burmese (sorry Myanmar) have joined, plus we've even had a few from counties where being openly gay can lead to a quick death.
I'm not too sure about some of the negativity here. You get a free card that gives you a discount....and following your suggestions the new one is prettier than the old one.

Neal
August 31st, 2012, 12:16
I am sorry if you think that some of the comments I and/or other people have made here are negative. The truth of the matter is that they are constructive criticisms that really should have been thought of prior to the launch. With this in mind, since there was some of this lacking in that department, there will be criticisms until all the bugs and problems are worked out.

August 31st, 2012, 12:44
Don't get me wrong. There are as I have said a couple of times, lots of very positive suggestions, and as a result we've listen to what's been said and acted on at least a few of them. We'd like to act on more of them but its not possible just yet. I am convinced about the good intentions posted here, but we can't run before we can walk. Without the comments made here we might not have moved as far as we have :) There are a few suggestions that I took as negative but that's normal I guess when folks are trying to help. Thanks to everyone who have contributed and to those who have signed up.