View Full Version : Amazing Ambiance Hotel

SlaveDriver
July 29th, 2012, 14:37
Woow Real Change have taken place. They have really listened to the customer needs and have quickly adopted to the changing market demands and made some strategic changes / decisions and they seem to benefit from the new vision the new young management team has put in place.

What a vast difference see from my last year's visit to this year'years. The "Lounge" is change at the front of the hotel and to the rooms and the level of service is very obvoius and their marketing strategy that have change the whole concept of the way they want to take the business into the future from the the 20 years old concept of running the business. Kodoo to the "New "Y" generation Management Team Markus and Micheal. They understand the businees, they lisrten to the customers, they have a vision, they have the will to make the changes. For an example; look at their menu .... they do a strategic analysis of the way customers respond to their menu, they ask them for what they like and they keep changing the menu to suit the customer taste. The will to change will change your bottom line.

The change has to come take palce at all levels. They have changed their entire staff. Structure supports the strategy. Case in example : I was in one of the old famous Bars. They are dead. 5 years ago they were the the best. Why are they not today .... because they are the same as 5 years ago. In 5 years the whole business world have changed and they have not ...... that's hteir failure. Boys are old (in the 30-40), fat and ugly ...... still the old dragg shows catering to the dying baby boomers generation. How can you expect your business to thrive when you are not catering to the new Y generation.

Guys ... let us combine Boys Town, Pattyaland Soi 1 and 2 all in one business concept. Rebrand/Reinnovate and make the changes to meet the changing needs of the emerging markets.

Happy ending :party

July 29th, 2012, 15:13
I see

RonanTheBarbarian
July 29th, 2012, 16:46
Slavedriver, i have to say that paean to the new management at Ambiance was one of the most fact-free plugs of an establishment i have read here on SGT, and that is saying something. :ban:

Could you clarify a bit?

1) The "Lounge" - I stayed in Boyztown before (Le Cafe Royale) and i seem to remember that the ambiance had some sort of restaurant/Lounge then.So what is new about this one. Bigger? Smaller? or just redecorated?

2) The restaurant menu - so they have changed it - how specifically has it changed? Have they changed the type of foods? Has it gotten cheaper or more expensive? (It could have gotten more expensive, but if the quality is much better, that could be justified)

3) They changed the staff. Well, i never stayed at the Ambiance, but i believe that few of the complaints about it from people that did were about the staff. Most of the complaints recently were that the rooms were getting worn and out-dated.

RonanTheBarbarian
July 29th, 2012, 16:59
After making my previous post, I went to the Ambiance website, and saw that they are doing renovations in September .

So in fairness it looks like the rooms will improve. If Slavedriver had mentioned that it would probably have been better for the Ambiance than all the guff he spouted.

I also see that they are offering a 20% discount for September to compensate for the disruption. Which is fair of them (athough the curmudgeon in me does wonder if they always offered a discount in September anyway because it is the slowest season?)

Apologies for any typos in this post. i was watching the swimmers in the Olympics at the same time as I was typing....

a447
July 29th, 2012, 17:35
I always stay at the Ambiance, usually 4 times a year. What slavedriver said is 100% true.
The verandah area has new seating and now includes a no smoking section, the restaurant serves really delicious food - I posted before about their Larb moo - and the food is reasonably priced.
They were doing renovations when I was there a week or so ago, but work was restricted between the hours of 11 am and 5 pm, so not really a problem. The hotel was full anyway, so they couldn't do much renovation work. I got a great deal which included airport pick up and drop off.
The bathrooms are presently being renovated. The rooms I've stayed in over the years (usually 119, but this time 113) are certainly not worn out or tired-looking in any way. Room 113 had a sofa, upon which much fun took place!
As for the staff, they are, and always have been, friendly and polite. Michael and Markus are doing a fabulous job - I'm particularly pleased to note that one of the first things they did was to paint over that horrible pink interior!
With reasonable pricing, great food, convenient location, nice quiet, clean rooms and being well managed, why would you stay anywhere else? Also, they always keep the boys' id cards and then phone you afterwards when the boy comes to collect his ID card to see if everything is ok before they give the boy back his card.

catawampuscat
July 29th, 2012, 19:34
I am currently staying at Ambiance Hotel and am pleased with my room and the staff has been pleasant and helpful.
I did hear a little banging with the pipes but only for a short time and no issue as it was midday.. It has been fun staying
here and was the first hotel I stayed in Pattaya many years ago. The lift was not here then and it is a pleasure to have
it now.. They give a free voucher for a drink of your choice at the Lounge, which I might try later today..
The low season promotion makes this hotel a bargain and a step up from the now closed Howards

July 29th, 2012, 19:44
.....I did hear a little banging with the pipes

Banging with the pipes?
I resent that remark - I was actually playing the "Minugulay Boat Song"

[attachment=0:h1hi3d63]5468077_2_l.jpg[/attachment:h1hi3d63]

July 29th, 2012, 19:45
..The Ambiance ... a step up from the now closed Howards

As is sleeping on the beach.

:ura1:

frequentflier
July 29th, 2012, 21:12
This is all positive news for the Ambiance..Especially about the food,Maybe the Cafe across the street will take notice.

July 29th, 2012, 21:39
The improvements will be down to the probability that their new str8 clientele are demanding higher standards than the gay "knocking-shop" customers they were used to.

:sharm:

anonone
July 29th, 2012, 21:45
SG brings up a question....

For those currently staying at Ambiance....or just recently left....what are your impressions about straight versus gay clientele at the hotel?

I was also glad to hear the construction was not disturbing...I was concerned about that...so thanks for the reports.

catawampuscat
July 30th, 2012, 09:23
SG brings up a question....

For those currently staying at Ambiance....or just recently left....what are your impressions about straight versus gay clientele at the hotel?

I was also glad to hear the construction was not disturbing...I was concerned about that...so thanks for the reports.

I did see a couple of younger farang women with luggage checking in yesterday. Otherwise only saw gay men and quite
a few Thai guys.. Generally it feels quiet and of course, it is low season.. It is fun to walk out the door and be in the middle
of the action and every farang gets noticed and greeted by the waiters across the soi and the massage boys hanging out nearby..

Oliver
July 30th, 2012, 15:12
These reports are well-deserved. The Ambiance has been my choice for over ten years and nearly forty visits and its recent face-lift has made it even better value.
I was there in June; I confirm the work on the water-system was seldom a problem.
I saw a few straight visitors but they seemed to be there for short visits (rather than short-time visits) while those of us on longer stays were (as far as I could tell) gay.
We must accept the fact that Boyztown hotels need to fill rooms to survive; I, for one, am prepared to be tolerant for other guests' disabilities if it means that Ambiance continues to thrive.

Neal
July 30th, 2012, 15:29
I really don't like to get involved with these discussions because it leads the way to being accused of favoring advertisers. I don't....OK maybe I do with Cafe des Amis. LOL! But I lived in the ambiance for I believe 11 years, maybe 10. you'd have to ask Scottish, she always kept count. No I certainly would not refer to it the way they used to as Elegant rooms or the Pride of Pattaya but I would consider them comfortable rooms. as the people who designed Ambiance also designed Copa rooms but now they have been renovated and upgraded, they are very nice comfortable rooms also. I don't think I ever heard anything bad about the Cafe Royale rooms. We are in an economy where we need to accept some straight clientele who do not mind being in a predominantly gay hotel as we should be more interested in our venues to survive and stay open.

I often remember that old troublesome poster who kept carrying on about women welcome in the bar. The same goes for the hotels, restaurants, everywhere we are and want it to survive during this tough economy. Let's all be a bit more tolerant and understand why we need to accept that if we want the venues to survive, they may need to go out of what we had before. :dontknow:

SlaveDriver
July 30th, 2012, 15:59
Good question Anonone about the gay-straight co-existence. I am sure we all have moved away from the 20-30 years ago when we gays remind in the closet in our countries we needed a safe haven like Thailand. Now the whole world and the way people look at gays have changed. Gays are accepted every where .... so why they need to come to Thailand ........ there are so many places closer to their homes.

Talking to few gays and straights at the hotel they all seem to be happy and interacting without any difference. Will you get off your flight and take another one because a straight sat next to you? I am sure the answer is no. So the answer is the same.

So what comes out of this question is the need for change. Time to Rebrand/Restructure/Reinnovate our business concepts and start catering to the changing demographics if we want to stay in business.

Koddo to Ambiance for taking the lead. The team is Young so they understand the emerging markets and the customer needs. Young generation customers don't like the dragg shows. They need a Disco/Pub/Bar to keep them entertained and stay in the Soi and spend their money :party

a447
July 30th, 2012, 16:19
When i was recently at the Ambiance I don't even recall seeing any straight clients. It never once occurred to me that i was staying in a hotel that wasn't 100% gay. But as they say, it was low season, so...

July 30th, 2012, 16:25
..the way people look at gays have changed. Gays are accepted every where .... so why they need to come to Thailand ........ there are so many places closer to their homes..

Have you tried opening your eyes and looking at the "gays" who frequent BT and Sunee?
They are not the run-of-the-mill gay couples you will find throughout the world - they are predominantly middled-aged and elderly single men who offing 18-22yo boys (boys who often look considerably younger)
You think that str8 tourists find this "acceptable"?
I've got news for you - they don't - and that's one reason some BT and Sunee patrons don't welcome str8 people in the bars and don't want to be passing them in the Reception area when they take their 5' 0" tall, 24" waisted, go-go boy to the boudoir.

..The team is Young so they understand the emerging markets and the customer needs. Young generation customers don't like the dragg shows. They need a Disco/Pub/Bar to keep them entertained and stay in the Soi and spend their money...

Don't like the dragg (sic) shows? - Have you looked next door to the Ambiance dear?
Young generation customers in BT and/or Sunee? Where? A handful at most.
Disco in BT/Sunee? Where? (BTW we call them "clubs" these days)
And what has the Ambiance "Young Team" got to do with all of that? - as far as I know they are running a hotel, not an entertainment company which is going to buy up and revolutionise BT.

SlaveDriver
July 30th, 2012, 16:41
Lets keep it positive and civil guys :party

joe552
July 30th, 2012, 18:04
Lets keep it positive and civil guys :party

where's the fun in that? :dontknow:

anonone
July 30th, 2012, 18:08
Thanks slavedriver/oliver/a447 for the reports.

To clarify, I was not asking under the premise that if a straight happened to patronize the place that I would no longer consider it....But more to confirm that it was still primarily a "gay" business and there were no weird vibes due to a changing clientele.

I prefer places with mostly gay customers, as I like to meet new friends that share the same interests....to chat about the bars and boys and such. I would like to stay in Boyztown for a couple of nights before heading on a trip with BF, and have been trying to decide between Ambiance and Cafe Royale. From recent reports, it seems that either one would be a good choice.

July 30th, 2012, 18:15
I have always found it immensely irritating that when glaring deficiencies in a plan or argument are pointed out, the individual who overlooked the glaring deficiencies often resorts to calling people "negative".
In the workplace it smacks of defensiveness and desperation - and on a forum, well it's just nonsensical .

lonelywombat
July 30th, 2012, 19:24
I would find it fascinating if you would approach happyplace bar with an open mind and give an professional report.

Of course there are many that feel you are just a potential purchaser of a bar, so this is a chance to get the other side.

be careful do not let him sit on your lap.

However you have a biased mind as to what is needed. Do you have the confidence to discuss it with someone who is having a go,and not pouring shit on the town.

send him an email, ask for a chat. get a real feel for what is happening.

if you have the guts.

latintopxxx
August 4th, 2012, 20:56
First time i stayed at the ambiance, about 8 years ago... I was in shock..where was the tropical white beach they had on their website???...and the whole place reeked of dampness....on a far more positive note the location was absolutely perfect for picking up street trade for short time activities...

TravellerDave
August 5th, 2012, 13:29
I stayed at the Ambiance during my last trip in June this year and was very happy with the experience. I had a large conFortable room with a separate sitting area for a very reasonable price.
There was a strong wifi signal for my newly acquired iPad which I used regularly for checking gayromeo.
In Pattaya I always stay at gay oriented hotels or apartments as like other contributors to this thread I dislike the stares and comments you get when staying at other places when being accompanied by young 18+ boys.

August 5th, 2012, 18:45
... I dislike the stares and comments you get when staying at other places when being accompanied by young 18+ boys.

On the other hand- When being accompanied by young 18+ boys, I dislike the stares, drooling, and "moving-in" approaches of predatory homosexuals in "gay" establishments.

:occasion9:

TravellerDave
August 5th, 2012, 21:41
Ha Ha good comment Scottish Guy. Yes you have to be ready for drooling looks and enquiries as to where I found my boy du jour ! Response often "clear off he's mine"

anonone
September 22nd, 2012, 08:52
Thought I would update and comment on the Ambiance, now that I am back at home and have caught up a bit. First time staying at this hotel.

Stayed on 2 separate occasions in Sept 2012, both before and after the HK trip. Great experience all around.

The room was well appointed, clean, comfortable bed (not one of the rock hard varieties...though still Thai firm). There are 2 Air Conditioning units that were the strongest I have come across. One in the Bedroom, one in the sitting area. We actually had to turn off one of them and adjust the temp settings to prevent getting too cold. Quite a difference from some other properties where the AC struggles to cool down the room.

I don't know if it is standard in all rooms, but they also supplied a dummy electric fob thing in the electric breaker to keep the AC running when you leave the room. It was SO nice to come back to the room and be met with cool air, instead of sweltering for 10 minutes until the AC could make some progress. Towels and bedding were of good quality. TVs were still tube (not flat screen) but I don't care about that when in Thailand. We only really have on the music channel, or maybe the news occasionally.

Very convenient having full room service available, as opposed to the guesthouse type of setup. Prices were a bit higher, of course, but not exorbitant. If I recall, we ate a large lunch "Thai style" 3 dishes plus spring rolls, and rice for 2 and it was about 600 baht. Stocked Mini bar/fridge supplied in the room. Again, prices a bit higher than 7/11, but that is to be expected and they were pretty reasonable (10 baht for spring water). It does come in handy when you awaken from a disco/whiskey fueled night and you failed to lay in the appropriate recovery supplies. :evil4:
There are 2 bottles of water daily at no cost as well.

Staff was really good. Front desk always staffed (and actually awake) and quick with a greeting and smile. Of course they check / keep ID of guests, which is always a good thing. Spoke with manager Michael a couple of times. Personable and seemed genuine in wanting us to have a great stay. A minor maintenance issue took a couple of requests to be fixed, but once I mentioned it to Michael, immediately remedied.

Wifi signal was strong and reasonably fast. One downside is their log-in system for use of the wifi. You are supplied with slips of paper on check in with username and password, which must be entered every session you start with wifi. If you are inactive for a bit, when you go to use again, you have to log in. It became annoying when I wanted to flip open the iPad and just quickly check email. Had to find the little piece of paper, get to the log in screen, type in non-nonsensical text strings, etc. A minor thing, but annoying anyway.

There were certainly a mix of clientele during our stay. I did get one strange look from a male guest while walking in the hallway to our room. It was not particularly a disproving look, but something off enough that I noticed it. Again, not anything that impacted the enjoyment of our stay.

A bit about the location: This was my first time staying in the BT area. There are pluses. I liked the neighborly feel of the verandah, with the LCR's across the street, and guests interacting during the day over coffee, breakfast, whatever. It really is nice to just pop out the front door and be in the midst of BT at night. But I found myself not visiting Sunee nearly as much, which I did miss. Typically, we would visit BT for a show and a bar or two, but would spend more time in Sunee. It was reversed this time, and I missed the more "laid back" vibe of Sunee. There is a fish bowl feeling in BT that doesn't exist in Sunee... I am not sure if I can describe the feeling appropriately, but it was noticeable to us.

The Ambiance is a very nice operation and I would not hesitate to stay there again...or recommend it to others. I liked the more upscale feel of the place, but imagine we will end up in either Day Night or Sunee proper more often, just to enjoy a more relaxed pace. Without going to far off topic of Ambiance, if someone is aware of a nicer, full service gay hotel that is more Day Night / Sunee area, please share.

Hope this helps someone with their hotel choice. If you have any specific questions let me know.

Oliver
September 22nd, 2012, 15:24
My thoughts exactly, anonone.

adman5000
September 23rd, 2012, 04:37
I have always had good luck staying at the Ambiance and two opposite across the soi for all the same reasons.

fedssocr
September 23rd, 2012, 07:39
Thanks for these reports. I stayed there a few times, but haven't been in recent years as I didn't think it's value was so good. And the "breakfast" was abysmal. But I have not been there since it changed hands/management.

Is it still really loud from the gogo downstairs? That used to be one of the biggest drawbacks along with the poor plumbing. Flat screen TVs are so cheap these days it would seem like a no-brainer to replace the ancient CRTs.

I always did enjoy the "massage, sir?" chorus when ever I left or returned.

anonone
September 23rd, 2012, 08:24
I didn't have breakfast at the hotel, only coffee on the verandah in the morning. (I usually pick up some street food for breakfast :thumbright: ) so I cannot comment on the quality of breakfast now.
I did see several folks eating there many times, so must be OK for some at least.

We were on the 2nd floor (if going by USA standards...one floor up from ground level) and we were not disturbed at all by the noise from gogo clubs. But we are usually out of the room most of the night when gogo bars would be open, so we might not have heard anyway.

I didn't experience any real problems with the plumbing and I know they were doing some construction / work during the days, so perhaps any issues have been addressed?

I thought it was of great value for the standard of the room, staff, etc. There are less expensive options to be sure, but depends on what type of experience you are looking for.

Oliver
September 23rd, 2012, 16:44
They have been working hard to correct plumbing problems since I was there three months ago. Such problems seem to be common in Thailand....a few years ago Tarntawan was much the same. Judging by the care and attention to detail that characterises other aspects of the refurbishment, I've no doubt that all will be well for my imminent return.
I always eat breakfast at Ambiance, mainly out of convenience. It has improved recently; the croissants are good ( though the best I've had in Thailand are at Rendezvous in Patong) but I can't comment on the cooked breakfast. My boyfriend enjoys the Thai food there, too....I think that they may take his nationality into consideration when cooking it!
The cleaners are charming and welcoming...one of Ambiance's best features.