PDA

View Full Version : Pattaya Boys Fees

egel
July 27th, 2012, 00:35
I have been visiting Pattaya for the last 8 or 9 years. I usually stay 3 or 4 months at a time, so Im familiar with prices here.
When I first came here Short time fees were 1000 Bt and Long time fees were 1500 Bt. They are the same now.
Anyone any ideas why these haven't increased, like everything else, over the years?

July 27th, 2012, 02:11
You're correct - I have been using the same figures for 11/12 years!

The boy tip is the only thing in Thailand that hasn't increased in price!

Obviously, sometimes a bit more if special, but I don't go below 1000 - sexually I'm not very demanding, so I've rarely been disappointed and thus never felt the need to pay less.

joe552
July 27th, 2012, 02:13
- sexually I'm not very demanding,

that's not what NIrish Guy says about you - but he also said you're a big tipper :occasion9:

thrillbill
July 27th, 2012, 17:22
Some of the guys on Gay Romeo only request 600 baht(and they're handsome). They are happy to make some extra money and horny for farang kway. :party

Dodger
July 27th, 2012, 18:01
Anyone any ideas why these haven't increased, like everything else, over the years?

Maybe because the custom of "up to you" is still ingrained in the working boy (and girl) service delivery process. And left "up to us" we have never been inclined to pay any more.

ceejay
July 27th, 2012, 20:17
Considering that general Thai prices will have gone up 35% or so (more for food) in the last 10 years, perhaps this gives us one of the reasons why some people around the boards complain that there are fewer boys in the bars than there used to be?

July 27th, 2012, 20:37
I take your point Ceejay, but if I decided to pay more than the 1000/1500 and I came on here and said I paid e.g 1500/2000 in Pattaya or 2000/2500 in BKK - all hell would break loose with certain posters screaming that I was making the boys "greedy"!
And if you dare to label those posters "cheap charlies" they have a hissy fit and throw their toys out the pram, because they really only want to pay 500 ST.

This is not conjecture - it happens on a regular basis.

:occasion9:

July 27th, 2012, 21:50
I can't say I ever give it much thought, no matter where I am Pattaya or bkk and whether it's short time or over night generally speaking its 1000 baht slipped into the boys pocket and I've never had any issues and many boys have quite happily contacted me for a re run on further visits so I can only assume they'll generally happy with that too. The odd time if a boys had to work exceptionally hard lol I give them 1500 or 2000 ( usually just whatever note breakdown happens to be in my wallet) but I would say 4 out of 5 times it's 1000 and everyone's happy - at least I think - and to be honest if theyre not I don't really care or way or the other.

Thai Dyed
July 27th, 2012, 23:41
You should also take into account the strength of the Thai Baht. Here is a chart measured against the US$ going back to 1998:
[attachment=0:c89i7e6u]Thai vs US.jpg[/attachment:c89i7e6u]

July 27th, 2012, 23:56
You should be a politician Thai Dyed - in your graph you have taken as a starting point the time of the Asian currency collapse when the Thai currency (amongst others in Asia) was in freefall.

Take away the 1997-99 exchange rate spikes, caused by that currency collapse, and the graph is in fact pretty stable.

:occasion9:

Thai Dyed
July 28th, 2012, 00:47
All I said was that you should take the strength of the Baht into consideration. You can make of it what you want and over any time period that your heart desires. Maybe this chart will make you happier? It reflects my personal experience with the country more accurately. For years after I first came here the exchange rate was very stable at about 20 Baht to the USD. Hence the expression "A TICKEL IS A NICKEL" since "tickel" was the slang term for the Baht.
Remember too that purchasing power parity (PPP) is a much better gauge to use to determine value.
[attachment=0:1vfc7u7k]Thai vs US.jpg[/attachment:1vfc7u7k]

I came to Thailand in the 1970s while on my way to the Philippines. At that time, very few people made Thailand their destination since it was a colossal bore. Thailand had its golden era from about 1985 to 1995, although it never eclipsed what the Philippines had to offer under Marcos, and Thailand is once again a relative bore, comparatively, all things considered. People still flock here mainly because almost every other place in the world is worse. On top of that those who have been here for a long time have become addicted to the cheap and easy life. But it's just an addiction and I am seriously thinking of taking the cure by moving on to greener pastures while there are still a few left that haven't yet been decimated.

RonanTheBarbarian
July 28th, 2012, 01:04
Going back to the point made by the OP, part of the reason that prices seem to have not increased is that egel was probably overpaying a little in 2003 and perhaps underpaying a little now.
But because of the "up-to-you" system, he probably has not noticed it, as the guys he has paying have not protested.

When I started looking at the gay Thailand forums in 2004 (mainly the Pattayagay board) the amount paid for short time seemed to average 700 baht to 1000 baht. Like ScottishGuy, I remember certain posters who got a fit of the vapours at the thought that someone would pay much above 800 baht for short time!

There were loads of lectures delivered by dyspeptic retirees about how the free spending tourists were spoiling it all for them. :mad:

The average for long time seemed to be 1000 baht to 1200 baht, with 1500 certainly a generous amount.

Whereas now i think that 1500 baht for an overnight would be the minimum to not to be seen as "ki niaow"

RonanTheBarbarian
July 28th, 2012, 01:18
I calculated what the increase in prices should be between 2003 and 2011 to compensate for consumer price inflation in Thailand, using the official Thai CPI as a guide.

I suspect inflation is probably understated a bit in the official figures, (particularly food) so I high-balled the figures a bit in the calculation.

For somebody paying 800 baht for short time in 2003, they would need to be paying about 1050 baht now to give the guy the same purchasing power.

For somebody paying 1000 baht in 2003, they would need to be paying about 1,300 baht to give the guy the same purchasing power.

gaymandenmark
July 28th, 2012, 01:42
When I for the first time was in Thailand, I think it was around 1995, I stayed in Hotel Cafe Royal for some days.
They had this interesting book in the room on how to behave in the gay scene.
At that time I think they wrote something about 800 bht. for short time, if my memory is correct.

BTW. As farangs we are interested in the exchange rate, but I do not think that the boys cares about it or takes it into their consideration about how big their fees/tips should be.

Thai Dyed
July 28th, 2012, 02:42
BTW. As farangs we are interested in the exchange rate, but I do not think that the boys cares about it or takes it into their consideration about how big their fees/tips should be.

And that is exactly why purchasing power parity (PPP) is a much better gauge. Although not aware of the fact, at least not consciously so, that is what the boys are using to decide how much they should get as a fee. Needless to say, supply and demand also enter into the overall picture. There are qualitative variables as well. This is a veritable mine field and also not immune to Nassim Taleb's "black swan" events such as we may be on the verge of in places such as Pattaya, I might guess.

July 28th, 2012, 16:10
Hey Guys,

New to the Pattaya Rent Boy scene. Was wondering where the best and youngest legal aged boys could be found? I do not mind a street boy so long as he bottoms and is decent in bed, also, what prices go with what ages?

Thanks!

July 28th, 2012, 16:28
Is this the fee for boys you meet in bars, what are the typical fees for boys you meet on the street? I'm heading to Pattaya for my first time in November, probably gonna look more towards the street crowd for various reasons!

Shuee
July 30th, 2012, 00:30
ive never had problems with 500bt street trade, i know falang who give 500bt gayromeo, 700-800 Shortterm, Fuck 1000bt, LongTime1100-1200bt, they are lucky we are still coming with the bate rate so crap

Daniel-old
July 30th, 2012, 04:39
what prices go with what ages?

It doesn't follow that an 18-year-old will command a higher rent than a 35-year-old. If they're renting it out, whether from a bar or on the street, they will consider they have something worth renting out. In some instances, especially with those who work out, the older guys consider they are worth a premium.

If you are new to the commercial sex scene in Thailand, it might also be worth considering the additional risks involved in taking guys off the street as opposed to from a bar.

The advice already given in this thread is sound. Just remember, one advantage of tipping at the higher end of the scale is you don't need to discuss money and your company will leave feeling properly remunerated. If you intend tipping at the lower end of the scale, it might be wise to set out the terms of the contract before you start.

Some guys stay longer and work harder than others and you may want to reflect this in your tip. When in doubt, err on the side of generosity.

latintopxxx
August 4th, 2012, 00:02
Usually stay at Tui's on Jomtien, spend the day on the beach in front, choose from the passing buffet and have never paid moore than 700 for short time.
Short time being under an hour in these cases, always point out that the room is only 2 min walk away and that they have ample time to be back on the beach ready for another...
As for the young ones commanding a premium, I find them to be inexperinced in negotiating (talking about street trade) and have rarely paid over a 1000, often as low as 500.
have paid more on occasion but rarely.