PDA

View Full Version : Television in Thailand

kjun12
July 16th, 2012, 07:36
Now that Dreambox has been shut down by True does anyone have any suggestion for another service? I would prefer not to use True. Anyone familiar with Wizzard TV?

July 16th, 2012, 22:10
http://www.thaiexpat.tv

I just downloaded the 2 days free trial and I must say the streaming is flawless and high quality. :love4:
It is a new company (7 weeks young) with now 8 British channels and they say they are expanding to also US channels.
If they play their cards wright, they could out do TrueVision very soon, with all English, US, Dutch and other Englesh spreaking farangs. :violent1:
You can do it by software/computer (Sorry Mac users, Windows ONLY) only or buy their box. :crybaby:

I now have the 2 day free trial on my laptop which is connect to my 42" flatscreen TV. :love4:

Some problems I encountered (software ONLY based):

Software crashed/crashed many times, but as I am writing this it now works flawless for about 20 minutes (looking Alien 1,Sigorny Weaver)
Since the software runs on my laptop and the software is NOT in a window, but uses fullscreen, you MUST set the dualscreen settings to CLONE.
The problem with that is the screenresolutions, that will not give a correct resolution to look at the programs.
Of course if you just look on your desktop/laptop (small screen) you do not have that problem.

When the software crashes the EXIT button also does not work, which means the only way to get out of the software it to restart your laptop.

Sometimes the sound is out of sync for a few seconds (5-20) and then does a catch-up and is back in sync again.

If in time they will get the software in a window, :idea1: so the screen resolution will be the wright size I will signup for the max of 2 years (10500 Bath), just to support them and they have nice programming. Also with delay watching, 6 and 18 hours delay, so you can watch what was on TV yesterday. :thumbup:

To be continued.

ThaiVisa link with more info on that page:
http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/570144-truevisions-launched-17-hd-channels-blocked-pirate-users-overnight/page__st__125

Patexpat
July 16th, 2012, 23:13
works flawless for about 20 minutes (looking Alien 1,Sigorny Weaver)

Well that's a resounding recommendation!

Why not just get a UK IP address for about 5 quid a month, then you can use BBC iPlayer and watch streaming video from the other channels on demand. Works fine for me ... the proviso is that you do need a reasonable ISP.

July 17th, 2012, 00:34
Free online programs, movies, series, worldwide or country bound only:

http://wwitv.com/portal.htm (worldwide channels) Choose USA for great movie channels. Works in Thailand.

http://www.hulu.com/ (USA, but works great with VPN, I use HideMyAss.com and set it to USA IP. Most 95% IP's work)

If anybody has more links please post.

July 17th, 2012, 00:42
Reply from Thai Expat TV regarding my issues in the above post (post 2 in this topic)

Just to clear up your findings & address all of your points.

Firstly thank you for this insightful feedback on our software system. We will certainly take note of all of your observations. We actually have another software player currently under development, which will resolve many of the issues you have brought forward.

However, our software player is specifically designed for use on a standard desktop/laptop screen and not really for built for hooking up to large 30"++ screens via HDMI/VGA connections in all fairness. Its the cheaper option for those not wanting to invest in our STB, or as a secondary method of receiving our service while at the office or out on the road within Thailand.

Our stand alone set top box takes care of all of the issues you mentioned, and with a remote control, is by far the best way to view our service in high quality.

A possible fix for your issues are as follows:

First you must clone the screen. Then set the resolution.

Windows 7: Right Click on Desktop > Screen Resolution > Duplicate these displays

Then start our software. If you try in another order it will probably crash, as we say, the software player is NOT meant to be used in this manner, although it is possible.

If you have any further questions. Please email us tvsupport@thaiexpat.tv or call 02 105 5724 we are always very happy to help.

Best regards,
Admin

July 17th, 2012, 08:04
According to my landlord with whom I pay the home rent which includes the internet and TrueVision (yes, dreambox),
the new hacked dreambox is on it's way as HD version, so be patient and it will still be free. :party