PDA

View Full Version : 1st time motor bike rental

anonone
July 13th, 2012, 23:06
Hi all.

After a dozen trips relying on song teuws and walking shoes, I think the next trip I will rent a motorbike for a day or two. I would like to better explore Pattaya, learn where some things are outside of the baht bus routes, and just experience something new. I imagine some time spent by myself in the early morning while the BF sleeps, but also some trips with him, maybe for a special dinner...or more secluded beach...something like that.

So, two basic questions for those in the know....

1) Any suggestions or recommendations for renting the bike? I have already had some recommendations on NIrishGuys close call thread, but if anyone else has info they want to share, it would be appreciated. Mainly looking for reputable places to rent from, as well as an understanding of any available insurance options / requirements and how to satisfy them. I have a MC DL, will have an IDL, and will need rental place to supply helmet for myself and BF.

2) Any suggestions for places to motor off to or things to do? Some seem pretty obvious and I am sure to check out...the park on top of the hill, a ride around Pattaya to learn where some things are, etc. Other than that, any recommendations?

Thanks everyone.

christianpfc
July 14th, 2012, 04:42
I can suggest Million Years Stone Park or Nong Nooch Tropical Garden (both about 20 km away from Pattaya and there is no public transport, I went by taxi and paid 800 Baht return each). The Sanctuary of Truth is accessible by public transport, but you have to walk (about 30 min) or hire baht bus for the last part.

July 14th, 2012, 14:25
If you have travel insurance check that it covers you if you have an accident on the motorcycle http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/artic ... d=10817486 (http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10817486)

kittyboy
July 14th, 2012, 15:06
Hi all.
2) Any suggestions for places to motor off to or things to do? Some seem pretty obvious and I am sure to check out...the park on top of the hill, a ride around Pattaya to learn where some things are, etc. Other than that, any recommendations?
Thanks everyone.

A couple of years ago I rented a moto and drove south down the jomtien beach road. 30 minutes or so down the road there is a fishing village (as I recall but I could be wrong). I drove inland around the fishing village and continued driving south near the ocean for 30 KM or so. It was a nice drive.

July 14th, 2012, 15:16
You might try mai pang in Jomtien Complex

or Kessaya ( http://kessayamotorbikerentals.com/ )

Richsilver
July 14th, 2012, 21:33
I would suggest forgetting it completely. Rent a car or use public transport. Or hire a driver for a few hours.

One minor accident on a motorbike and you could break an arm or leg (or worse), ruining your entire vacation. Is it really worth it?

anonone
July 14th, 2012, 22:29
Thanks for the feedback so far.
Richsilver. I understand your rationale, but I would actually like to move to Thailand some day so this is another step to exploring the area and seeing how I would do. If I am living here, I am going to want some transport...so understanding the risks, this is what I am trying.

Christian. Thanks for the suggestions. I had heard of those 3 and will take a further look. If you had to choose one, which would you pick?

kittyboy. Sounds like a great ride and what I would like to do as well. I think going south makes more sense, so I will probably head that way as well.

Lots of recommendations for Mai Pang in Jomtien, so I have to seriously consider that....

Thanks all. One last request for any information on Insurance? Is this something that Mai Pang will provide when I rent the bike? Just trying to make sure I have everything squared away.

christianpfc
July 15th, 2012, 02:41
Nong Noch and Million Years Stone Park are almost exchangeble in distance from Pattaya and what they offer. Sanctuary of Truth is closer and different. Search on the internet or read some trip reports to decide.

These three places are far easier or cheaper to reach with your own transportation.

dab69
July 15th, 2012, 04:04
see that no one is sticking their neck out on where to rent a motorbike.

go for one of those hot looking CBRs

joe552
July 15th, 2012, 04:19
go for one of those hot looking CBRs

CBR = cute boy racers? :dontknow:

dab69
July 15th, 2012, 06:38
http://www.sportbikez.net/bikepics/125/medium/1258840780.jpg

always see these around boystown/gold shop for rent

anonone
July 15th, 2012, 08:14
Not a bad idea...except the only ones I have seen are being ridden rather recklessly by overweight Arabs...
I am not Arab, overweight, or reckless, so I don't think they will let me rent one. :sign5:

A couple folks have recommended Mai pang in Jomtien, so will probably give that a try....and a more tame motorbike for my virginal attempt....

Not sure what CBR stands for...we always called these "crotch rockets".

July 15th, 2012, 12:07
Listen guys, there are far better ways to get something throbbing between your legs.

:ura1:

TravellerDave
July 17th, 2012, 01:08
Scottishguy - I couldn't agree with you more, but if anyone really wants to hire a bike in Pattaya I would recommend Direk Motors in Soi Buakhow. They are located a couple of hundred yards from the junction with Soi Diana Inn in the market direction. I've hired from them on a number of occasions and never had a problem. In fact once I had my helmet stolen from the bike parked on Beach Road and they replaced it without charge.
An automatic was 1000 per week. I spend my time during the day at a gym and at the Dongtan beach, with visits in the evening to Somsuk Sauna, so a bike is very convenient to move between these locations.
I don't believe that riding a bike in Pattaya is as dangerous as many people assert, but I never go out on one later at night.

dorayme
July 17th, 2012, 11:00
Unless you are really good on a motorbike and accostomed to driving on the left side of the road don't do it.

Best to find a young man who lives here and has a bike then go together.

January 18th, 2013, 16:28
I totally disagree with the above, lifes for living and if you took a cautious approach to everything you'd end up doing nothing !

I also agree that short of the obvious accident thing ( see above re taking SOME risk in life) I dont think riding a bike in central pattaya is that dangerous, I actually took note several times of my average speed and I'd of been lucky to have been going over 20 mile and hour at most times and after an hour getting used to riding the bike it became second nature and I felt quite comfortable and secure and is ABSOLUTELY opens up a whole raft of possibilities for you as to where you can go and even just jumping between the beach and various bars and clubs at night and is SO handy when you off and boy and want to nip back for a quick short time without having to take up half your night walking / get baht buses etc.

So, I would say DO it, live a bit, let the wind blow through your hair a bit ( assuming you have some) and at 20mph it won't be that much wind anyway :-). Oh and with regards to rental I always take mine from Mosaik apartments ( up the side of Tuk Com) who have everything you need both in terms of modern, well serviced bikes, two helmets with every bike ( on kept in the seat for your boy) and all the insurance and tax documents etc all already completed and inside the seat lid when you drive off so all nice and handy, cost wise can't recall the exact figure but I think about 1000 a week is about right there too, but I guess the easy answer is to rent from somewhere decent that's closest to where you're staying so you don't have to far to go to leave it back etc.

Oh one thing to factor in if you haven't ridden before and you do decide to go on a few trips is the cost for the massage you'll need afterwards to get rid of your "bikers bum" lol - I thought it was only me but the massage guys at the beach ell me it's very common and they see many farang hobbling up not know what's wrong with their back when in fact it's their ass cheeks and muscles hurting simply from not having used those particular muscles before - a quick rub down ( which is always a plus) and you'll be right as rain again :-) So, make sure your paperwork is all correct, carry 1000 baht to pay off a cop if you're caught for doing "nothing" :-( drive carefully and enjoy !! Be sure to let us know how you get on......... and as my father used to say to me "you're a big boy now who can make his own decisions so don't coming running to me crying if you fall off and break your leg !" lol

tobias-old
January 18th, 2013, 21:16
Just reminder and I have posted this before in another thread. Check the fine print of your travel insurance most of them will require you to have a full motor bike license in your home country for you to be covered. Some of them dont cover riding a motor bike at all. Oh and wear a proper, certified helmet....

TravellerDave
January 19th, 2013, 01:50
I would echo most of the points made by NIreland Guy mainly that riding a motor bike around Pattaya is not as dangerous as people maintain. I've been renting them over the last 6 years maybe about a years stay in Pats and have yet to have a significant problem.
I would give a few additional pieces of advice
Take a photo of the bike when you rent it. This could help in the event of disputes about damage. Get them to check tyre pressures.
Make sure you have a phone number in case of a breakdown.
If pulled in by the cops just pay up its just part of life in Pattaya.
Make sure you remember where you park the bike. There are hundreds which look just like yours.
Use the disk lock provided when you park.
Don't run the lights .
Rent an automatic if you are not used to bikes. They cost about 1000 baht per week. I have rented from Direk Motors in Soi Buakhow for years.

anonone
January 19th, 2013, 12:47
I had kind of forgotten about this thread I started...so glad it popped up again.
TravelerDave- excellent tips. Especially about remembering where you parked. A lot of very similar looking bikes out there LOL

I did rent a motorbike for a day during one of my trips last year. I ended up staying at Mosaic, so just rented the bike from them. If I remember correctly, 150 baht for the day, automatic.

I didn't have many problems driving around Pattaya. I would have liked to done more exploring, but BF was not too keen on the idea that day. My biggest issue - the helmets provided did not fit my big head. I exchanged for the largest size they had, but still did not fit correctly...and was actually uncomfortable.

Went around most of South and Central Pattaya, went up the hill, and also a fair ways down Jomtien. I didn't go as far down the coast as I would have liked, but there is always another time.

My piece of advice would be to start out in the early morning. During the afternoon, the traffic was so heavy that it was difficult to really observe much as you really have to concentrate on driving.

TravellerDave
January 20th, 2013, 01:11
I would echo most of the points made by NIrish mainly that riding a motor bike around Pattaya is not as dangerous as people maintain. I've been renting them over the last 6 years maybe about a years stay in Pats and have yet to have a significant problem.
I would give a few additional pieces of advice
Take a photo of the bike when you rent it. This could help in the event of disputes about damage. Get them to check tyre pressures.
Make sure you have a phone number in case of a breakdown.
If pulled in by the cops just pay up its just part of life in Pattaya.
Make sure you remember where you park the bike. There are hundreds which look just like yours.
Use the disk lock provided when you park.
Don't run the lights .
Rent an automatic if you are not used to bikes. They cost about 1000 baht per week. I have rented from Direk Motors in Soi Buakhow for years.