PDA

View Full Version : Photo competition

July 12th, 2012, 21:36
Well while I'm devastated of course to have not won a jot in the recent photo competition have to say I thought it was a great idea and I was really surprised at some of the real high quality of the other entries ( not mine :-), and all for prize money too as put up by Da boss !! I don't know many free boards doing such things these days, the admin was a bit "iffy" st he start seeing as it was the first time the competition had been run but we got there in the end and I'm sure that's it all set to run again sometime in the future ??? - personally in just closing my free night out on the boss as my consolation prize ! Ha ha

stevehadders
July 12th, 2012, 22:46
I really enjoyed looking at the photos. Great initiative, and we have some very talented photographers amongst us! Please do repeat it at some time in future.

Neal
July 12th, 2012, 23:45
Well as mentioned before, we will start a new one soon! Of course there will be a couple of changes as when you do anything the first time, well there is always room for improvement. This photo competition had four different categories running at the same time. The next one will have ONE so that the sticky area is not so inundated with things up there and it is not so confusing to skip back and forth from photos to voting.
Unfortunately I still am not aware how to merge the posting of the picture and poll in the same thread. If you do, let me know! :dontknow:

This photo contest will share prizes of 28,000 baht!!! :ura1:

bruce_nyc
July 13th, 2012, 00:41
Is it possible to include the link to the photo in the actual voting item text...?

Like:

Picture 13 ( http://www.sawatdee-gay-thailand.com/images/26880 )

...or something like that?

Neal
July 13th, 2012, 00:55
your funny Bruce. That's what I said above but when I create a poll I am not sure how to put the picture in there with it. You have to upload the picture and then I have to upload the poll. The pictures could be in a particular thread but then I don't think you could start a poll. Maybe I can edit it to put in a poll but you could not. How about someone get together and when you do you post them on a particular thread I will open for this test. After they are posted, I will see if I can still start a poll and edit and number the entries. In real world, I cant start the poll until the pictures are in and the entries were closed as the poll votes would need to start and stop when the entries were locked. It just may be possible. Lets test it. Someone get 5 photos ready and I will open one thread for testing in Rules and Guidelines

bruce_nyc
July 13th, 2012, 01:07
(1) Allow entries as replies to a new thread.

(2) Once submissions are closed, lock the thread.

(3) Only once submissions are closed (and the thread is locked), then create the Poll.

(4) When you create the Poll, list each item text to include the URL to the Reply post for THAT picture. Each reply has a permalink, like this one: http://www.sawatdee-gay-thailand.com/forum/photo-competition-t26880.html#p256850 ( It is the little box to the left of the text, "Posted: Thu 12 Jul, 2012 9:21 am" on each reply. ) ( However, if you can find the link to the actual uploaded image itself, that would be even better. )

When creating the Poll, it should allow you to enter ANY text in the description of each Voting Item.... including a URL.

I agree, test it out. :thk:

( Too bad the Poll feature doesn't simply allow you to attach an image to each item to be voted on. )

Update: I just tried this. Go to a photo competition thread. Right-Click on any image there. Then, "Copy Image URL".

When I do that, I get something like this on my clipboard: http://www.sawatdee-gay-thailand.com/forum/download/file.php?id=3823&t=1

So in the Poll, you could enter the item like this....

"Photo 7 ( download/file.php?id=3823&t=1 (http://www.sawatdee-gay-thailand.com/forum/download/file.php?id=3823&t=1) )"

bruce_nyc
July 13th, 2012, 01:21
This photo contest will share prizes of 28,000 baht!!! :ura1:

WOW!

By the way, you're offering about the same as the 2nd Place winner in Pattaya City's upcoming International Photo Competition... http://www.pattayapeople.com/default.asp?Folder=16&IdArticle=31591

Impressive, Mr DB.

Neal
July 13th, 2012, 01:23
As I mentioned, it is all worth a try but I want a dry run. So someone who gathers together 5 photos, let me know and I will open a thread under Posting Guidelines Forum and we will test it all out before the next competition. I will be in BKK for a few days so take your time.

christianpfc
July 13th, 2012, 03:46
I suggest to make a thumbnail mosaic of the photos in the competition, possibly with numbers in the photos. So you can see them and vote at the same time. Or even better, how about clicking on the pictures you like (in order 1st, 2nd, 3rd) to vote?

Neal
July 13th, 2012, 05:38
Who do you think you are talking to a computer person??? Your lucky you get pictures!

July 13th, 2012, 09:36
DaBoss,

I just tested with my forum (also phpBB - no SEO)
and I just created a topic with an image and added a poll to it and both where on the same page/topic.

So if you just as admin create a voting topic with all (max 10 images) and add the poll to it problem solved.

Of course I can not test/show you here, because I have no poll privileges.
But below is a screen grab from my test in my forum.

To merge two topics, poll and the existing image/photo topic, you just create the poll as a new topic and then as Moderator (Control Panel) you select the two topic and below that you have the options to merge them (or even ALL messages in the whole topic)

So that are two options to have the voting and poll together.

[attachment=0:3nqf339f]poll+images.jpg[/attachment:3nqf339f]

July 13th, 2012, 10:01
If I may also suggest a second improvement ...

Next time have the photo's uploaded to a gallery only and you move them asap to a different section/topic/gallery.
This way the photo's should NOT have the posters name with it, which is better for voting to avoid friends voting for friends and not for the photo.

Of course it will always be a part friends for friends voting, because they just PM each other or contact in other ways. :crybaby:

Neal
July 13th, 2012, 11:09
That is a great idea. No names.

July 13th, 2012, 14:38
That is a great idea. No names.

:sign5: Fucking brilliant!

Out of all that computer gobbledegook from Ronthai and Christianpfc (above), DaBoss manages to extract the only thing I understood! :sign5:

:party

joe552
July 13th, 2012, 15:37
glad I wasn't the only one who couldn't follow a word of this thread - don't really know why I was reading it - some days I feel very old :dontknow:

July 13th, 2012, 22:20
Since most technology from the past 50 years is a simple basic copy from alien teck. I guess only us halfbreed aliens understand it. :ssmile:

[attachment=0:1jfr8hhx]aliencartoon.jpg[/attachment:1jfr8hhx] :ura1:

francois
July 14th, 2012, 00:42
Since most technology from the past 50 years is a simple basic copy from alien teck. I guess only us halfbreed aliens understand it. :ssmile:

I know you jest, but I have friends who do believe all major technology advances are copied from the UFO that landed in New Mexico/USA and now stored in Area 51/USA or elsewhere.

christianpfc
July 14th, 2012, 04:32
I once read somewhere [citation needed] that in countries with high number of analphabets (illiterates), the ballot papers for elections do have pictures of the candidates instead of names of candidate or party. My newest update of firefox has thumbnail screenshots of websites I often vistit, so I don't have to type anything, I just click. Neal, you surely can get a computer-savvy person to do this for you?

(This does not mean that I think there are any an-alphabets among us, anal-phabets maybe. - don't think about it, just a word play with different hyphenations.)

bruce_nyc
July 14th, 2012, 04:53
The most famous and common line all computer technologists hear:

"It's really simple, what I want. It should be easy to do. Right?"
:glasses7: