PDA

View Full Version : Close shave on motorbike !

July 12th, 2012, 16:03
So, last night after being out at Dave club for a bit I left there around 4am and took a short walk up walking street for a nosey and bumped into and old lady boy friend in her bar so we sat and had a few beers together and cut a long story short decided to carry on our conversation back in my room ( solely as it was starting to rain you understand :/) so away we went with her on the back of my motorbike and me driving ( with no helmets and yes I know not smart but that's how it was).

Anyway, so there we were sitting in the middle of the (wet) road on the main ( normally very busy but as it was 5am not so busy) junction of 2nd road and the road coming from walking street ( beach road I guess) and I heard an screech of brakes then a crash as a bike hit the ground and a bike and rider skimmed literally underneath the legs of us and missed my bike by centimetres and if he has been one foot over he'd have hit us and we would both have undoubtedly been ( badly) injured but thankfully that wasn't the case!! The driver then tumbled on past us and stopped about 10 ft just to immediate left of my bike and was in a bad way, you could see instantly when he'd took his tumble he'd broken his arm as it was in a mad shape to the rest of his body and he'd a heavily bleeding head injury (no helmet) and a lot of other smaller injuries.

So of course ones instant reaction is to jump off the bike to help him but I have to admit that as there was already a crowd of Thai people gathering / running over I simply drove my bike over to the the other side of the junction and parked up and waited it as I could already see some of the crowd looking at the farang to see if I was doing "a runner", I told the ladyboy with me to get off and stay with the crowd and I waited in another crowd of by standers that had gathered on the opposite side of the road and when I got a chance i nodded to my ladyboy friend for us to get the heck out of there. She agreed and thankfully also said that a motorbike taxi driver had already told everyone it was 100% the drivers own fault and he had was going too fast and lost control and skidded in the wet and didnt seeing the red light ( and my bike stopped in front of him) until the last second, I felt like a bit of a shit not going over and leaving as quickly as I did ( even though I had done nothing wrong) but when I weighed up the situation, a farang ( who was sober but had had a few drinks earlier and maybe wouldn't pass a breath test with a ladyboy dressed to the nines on the back and it being 5am in the morning and some of the stuff ive read on here sbout it ALWAYS being tye farangs fault no matter, plus there bring a crowd of somewhat confused and upset Thais gathering with the police and an ambulance on their way I figured it best to remove myself from the situation ASAP !

I'm sure the driver is sore today but it just shows you never know what crops up when you least expect it ! :-( and yea my friend did continue on my journey with my where we both then attempted to settle each others nerves as best we knew how :-)

arsenal
July 12th, 2012, 16:49
I love riding a motobike in Thailand but sometimes I like to ride pillion and let my off drive. One evening late at night we were waiting to turn right when I saw a 4x4 powering down upon us from behind. I remember thinking that if the boys pulls out that's it for us both. So far so good. Be as careful as you wish but there's always the other driver.

joe552
July 12th, 2012, 17:22
scary story, NIrish Guy - hope you've had a chance to calm down with some ladyboy therapy

martin911
July 12th, 2012, 22:19
Ladyboy therapy ??? :pukeright:

But you were right NI not to get too near the other driver just after the crash -- other thais turning up (at that time of morning prob under various influences) might have made it very difficult for you !!!!

Having said that i really dont know why any farang would want to be in control of a motorbike/car and be driving at that hour of the day on a rain soaked surface

By far the biggest idiots on the roads around Pattaya at night are pissed up farang --

I See them every night out --youngish guys with some thai girl on the back and then the guys testosterone kicking in when he starts the bike and off they go --driving crazy speeds along the roads !!

Hmm thats twice this week you have had a Ladyboy on the back of your bike late at nite this week is it not ??

July 13th, 2012, 04:58
Ha yes you are of course correct about the twice in a week thing lol but tte first time I was lured into feeling her up under false pretenses so that one doesn't count !

And I do know what you mean martin about the crazy farang, I assure you I'm at tte age now where I'm the opposite almost and drive like I'm permanently shitting myself that something bad is going to happen, especially on wet roads !

Gaybutton
July 13th, 2012, 06:40
the stuff ive read on here sbout it ALWAYS being tye farangs fault no matter
Regarding that aspect of things, I read the same statements. Most of them come from people who don't live here, don't drive here, and some from people who have read what others have posted, latched on to it, and seem to enjoy posting as if they're "experts." Some of it also probably comes from farang who indeed were at fault, but would rather believe they were blamed just because they are farang.

The fact is it's simply not true. Not at all. Most farang I know who were involved in accidents were not blamed. The police blamed the Thai driver of the other vehicle. Over the years I too have been involved in a couple fender-benders. One time it was my own fault and I was legitimately blamed. The two other times it was the Thai driver's fault and the police blamed the Thai. One happened as I was driving my car on Soi Buakhao, headed toward Pattaya Tai. I was almost there when a Thai teenager on a motorbike hit my car. He put a dent in the door, tore out a side mirror, and scratched up the side of the car. Then he tried to get away. A group of motorbike taxi drivers were right there and they stopped him. They made sure he wasn't going anyplace until the police arrived. They witnessed what happened, explained it to the police officer, and the teenager was the one who was blamed and cited.

I won't say the police are always fair about it. While driving, I've been stopped several times out on a highway by the police and fined frivolously when they're trying to line their pockets, but that's not quite the same. When there's been an actual accident, I've always found the police to be fair and honest. Most of my friends who also have been involved in accidents, whether driving a car or motorbike, say they were also treated perfectly fair.

In a car, the police will check to make sure you have all the paperwork, that your insurance and road tax stickers are up to date, and that you hold a valid driving license. They'll want to know if you were wearing your seat belt. If you had a front seat passenger, they'll want to know if he was wearing his seat belt. If the accident occurred while you were making a turn, they'll want to know if your turn signal was on. They'll check the condition of your tires. If necessary, they'll check when you last had maintenance done, especially on the brakes.

For motorbikes, they'll check the paperwork too and will want to know if you were wearing a helmet.

Of course, they'll also check to see if anyone was drunk or on drugs.

In your case, you were not wearing your helmet, so that would certainly have been a factor.

If nothing else, I hope now you at least realize that you make a big mistake when you are on a motorbike without a helmet, whether you're driving or are the passenger. Don't repeat that mistake. It's too dangerous - even when you believe there won't be anyone else on the road.

anonone
July 13th, 2012, 09:10
Glad you are ok NIrish. If you are going to get hurt, do it at the end of the trip....too much fun to have in the meanwhile. Lol

Quick question for those with experience.

If I want to rent a motorbike for a couple of days on the next trip, do they supply a helmet as well? Plus 1 for BF?
I will get an international DL, and I have MC license. Anything else I need to do?
How is insurance handled?

Neal
July 13th, 2012, 11:07
The helmets are supplied but I dont recall anything about insurance. I know the car I rent has insurance by the car rental place.

arsenal
July 13th, 2012, 11:12
Annone: I have rented a motorbike in Pattaya nearly a dozen times with no problems whatsoever upon it's return. DO get an IDL as you will almost certainly be stopped by the police. Show them that and they soon wave you on your way. You will get two helmets included in the rental price. Do not pay more than 150 Baht per day. I can recommend a place to hire from if you're interested.

Gaybutton
July 13th, 2012, 12:19
I've always heard positive comments about Mai Pang motorbike rentals, located in Jomtien Complex. They have a reputation for excellent service and honesty. If insurance is available, they'll know it.

Also, don't forget that you not only need the International Driving Permit, but you also need your home country driving license as well. Both are required.

I've never rented a motorbike, so I can't tell you much more than that, but my guess is since helmets are required, then a reputable rental company will supply the helmets.

And Arsenal is right. The chances of getting stopped by the police are much greater than not being stopped.

aussie_
July 13th, 2012, 14:13
If I want to rent a motorbike for a couple of days on the next trip, do they supply a helmet as well? Plus 1 for BF?

It may not be convenient for you but my friend takes his own motorcycle helmet when he goes to Thailand. Many of the poor quality motorcycle helmets used in Thailand would be useless to prevent damage to your head in an accident. Maybe you can go shopping with your bf and purchase motorcycle helmets made to a suitable standard and store them between trips.

arsenal
July 13th, 2012, 14:17
Technically there are about four documents required. Passport, IDL, actual driving licence and insurance. If they wanted to the police could go down the list until they found one you don't have but they have never done this to me.
Also 90 per cent of Thai CAR drivers are actually quite considerate being very aware that idiots like me will undertake and gently applying the brake. The motorcycle riders however....
On first four visits to Pattaya I didn't hire one and now consider those to be wasted visits.

anonone
July 13th, 2012, 22:57
Thanks for the many quick replies.

aresenal: I am interested in a recommendation on who you have rented from. Also, is there some insurance included with this rental? You indicated insurance papers are required (even if seldom asked for), so curious how to satisfy this requirement.

GB: Thanks for the recommendation for Mai Pang motorbike rentals, located in Jomtien Complex. I am seldom in Jomtien, so not the most convenient. If no other compelling recommendations come in, I will give them a look though. Especially for the first time, more interested in a smooth experience than the cheapest, etc. (Sounds like my first gogo boy experience also...lol )

aussie: Probably a good idea to have a high quality helmet. If this goes well and I plan on doing for future trips, I will consider it. For the first time, I will rely on their helmet, my experience MC riding, and probably avoiding busy times / roads.

Since I have already hijacked this thread enough, I am going to start a new post for some ideas on what to see and do with this new mobility.

Thanks all.

Patexpat
July 13th, 2012, 23:07
Mai Pang rentals have an outlet in Canterbury Tales restaurant/bookshop (just off Soi Bukhao) - and they do offer insurance that covers the partial cost of having an accident, I believe. A friend rented from them when he was on holiday.

Frankly wild horses wouldn't get me on the back of a motorbike in Pattaya. Seen more dead and mangled bodies on the roads here than I ever did in my 40 odd years living in the UK, not to mention my bf being swiped by a hit and run car, his helmet (quite an expensive, all enclosed one) saving his life.

Think it's clever to ride a bike without a helmet? No, it's just STUPID.

Gaybutton
July 14th, 2012, 05:39
One other thing: Most rental agencies, whether motorbike or car, will want your passport. Most will accept a photocopy. If you encounter an agency that wants to hold your actual passport, whatever you do, don't give it to them. That has "scam" written all over it. If they won't accept a copy, go elsewhere.

arsenal
July 14th, 2012, 10:59
Annone. Hi there.
I recommend a place very near to Sunnee. From Sunnee turn left into Soi Yensabai and walk up until you come to a large yellow building. It's a big bar and they have literally dozens of motorbikes outside for you to take your pick from. Great choice, greeat service. Currently due to my place of residence I get to Pattaya about 8.00pm and after checking in the first thing I do is hire a bike. I'm never charged for the few hours to midnight and then I have to choose between a bar full of eager boys or a ride along Jomtien Beach Road...but that's another story.
With regards to medical insurance. Nearly all policies allow the riding of a hired 125cc as long as it's not in a competition. But check.
Assuming you've never hired one before then Pattaya is about to give you a whole new bunch of fun. You can go to places that you'll never get to by Baht bus.