PDA

View Full Version : Freinds motocycle accident

July 2nd, 2012, 18:19
Had some sad news a couple of days ago....one of my Thai friends came off his motercycle...after drinking too much and not wearing a crash helmet...he's not dead but close to it...he just woke up but ..he's got to have Major surgery on his head and face...my bf Ten has been at the hosp last 2 days..i'm allways telling him to wear a crash helmet...

Neal
July 2nd, 2012, 19:14
They don't listen. They know better. It won't happen to them because they are careful.

jimnbkk
July 2nd, 2012, 20:05
You see one of your Thai friends on a bike without a helmet. So, politely (or not) you mention that he should be wearing his helmet. After all, he's got it on the bike with him! Well, he says, the police aren't out checking for helmets tonight, so it's not necessary to wear it. And, he's serious!

Thai logic.

right.

francois
July 2nd, 2012, 20:45
Although my bf wears his helmet he does not fasten the strap thus negating its effectiveness.

But not just in Thailand are there fools. Where I live helmets are an option and many riders choose to have the wind in their hair.

stevehadders
July 2nd, 2012, 21:23
I have lost count of the number of boys I have known from the bars injured in motorbike accidents whilst not wearing helmets - unfortunately I also know of 3 who died for the same reason. Very sad - but even during my last visit 2 boys were telling me how sad it was that there friend had had such an accident, then both rode off to the disco without a helmet!
When leaving Idol Club once, I took a motorbike taxi and I asked the driver for a helmet and his reply was "no problem, police sleeping now"....I actually wanted to protect my head, not avoid the fine!! He thought I was crazy to wear one when I didnt need to (in his mind)!

Very sad, but they all know better as Da Boss said!

Neal
July 2nd, 2012, 23:21
M the manager of my bar and a staff employee were on a motorbike just after his birthday party. Drove off without a helmet and was seriously injured. My response? How many days you gonna be out? About 10. I said ok, I cut you 10 days salary!

bruce_nyc
July 3rd, 2012, 10:27
Oh the youth... or the wisdom.

Which is more valuable.

stevehadders
July 3rd, 2012, 16:08
The innocence of youth!!

You would think wearing a helmet is plain common sense !

July 3rd, 2012, 16:43
Hi Guys...thanks for the coments

kjun12
July 4th, 2012, 08:58
Show me a Thai on a motorbike and 9 times out of 10 he drives like an asshole. They think they own the road. Hence, the accidents.

cdnmatt
July 4th, 2012, 09:48
Yeah, I'll never really understand this "mai bpen rai" mentality. I mean, it's great, but only to an extent. Not related to motorcycles, but a perfect example is my dog, and my neighbor's dog (my guy's mom).

Both ended up with a blood parasite. Not pretty. I had the vet come over, who took excellent care, was here every day or two, I picked up the bill for my neighbor so there was no issue taking care of her dog. The vet we have is also the best vet anyone could ever hope for, and he's just around the corner, so again, taking care of the dogs is no issue.

She loses the medication though, then of course it's "mai bpen rai" in response. I didn't know this until a few days after meds ran out, and by then it was too late. Well... now my dog is running around with a huge smile on his face, healthy as can be. Her dog though can't even stand up, and just wiggles around the ground like a fish, whining in pain all day.

Tried convincing her to just have the doctor come over, and put the dog down. But nope, she's not having that. It's obvious she's not going to make it, and will die. Why make her suffer like this?

Mai bpen rai, of course.

Or same as Kim went and got a small wound on his leg from... no idea... whatever. Nothing special, but you have to be careful with these things in Thailand, especially during the rainy season. Just putting some hydrogen peroxide on it was a pain. He finally decided I might have an idea of what I'm talking about though, and went got some antibiotics, because the thing is already slightly infected. "Mai bpen rai" is good, but you can't just "mai bpen rai" everything in life.

newalaan
July 4th, 2012, 16:20
Show me a Thai on a motorbike and 9 times out of 10 he drives like an asshole.
Not just motorcycle drivers, virtually every vehicle driver in Thailand drives like an asshole. Road manners, patience, politeness and giving-way simply do not exist in Thai driving mentality. That is not to say it is very difficult to drive in Thailand, once you get used to that Thai(Asian) mentality and you suss 'how things work' you can deal with it and have very little problems. I've been driving in Thailand when I come on holiday for a few years now and the only aspect is the frustration of seeing idiotic manouvers which you KNOW are going to happen...actually happen! One of the most frustrating is the politness aspect versus selfishness and thoughlessness, they NEVER give way unless forced, even in slow moving near stationary traffic where nobody is going anywhere quickly, they never yield...you have to push your way in...and that is the accepted behaviour.

I do absolutely hate driving in Pattaya though, can't wait to get out...it's a nightmare...worse than central Bkk even...and the primary cause is young Thais and Arab motorcycle drivers who speed over VERY short distances and give no chance for error, millimeters can be the difference in many cases of an accident or not. Unfortunately Pattaya seems to possess a MUCH larger proportion of lunatic motorcycle drivers than anywhere else I have seen in Thailand. Even getting out of South Pattaya and into Jomtien there is a huge difference in driving attitude.

I too have lost Thai friends to the drink and drive with no helmet attitude, but as everyone here has already said, it's never going to change, and it doesn't differentiate between nice, lovely guys or nasty mafia types(of which Pattaya seems to have an increasing amount)....Tom, one of the nicest guys you could care to meet who worked at Panorama died in an accident with no other vehicle...so only one to blame there. I too have been in a motocyle accident the one time we decided to take motocy taxi back at 3am as opposed to a Song Taew Taxi. Our motorcycle taxi driver wasn't a young guy so he was going quite slowly, still there was nothing he could do about a drunk katoey zipping out of nowhere into us.

During the day over short distances I don't think taking a motocytaxi is a serious risk but after dark and early morning definitely risks increase dramatically. After my latest visit to Pattaya I would plead with those who still prefer motocy taxi to/from clubs late night/early morning to seriously re-think using motocytaxis and change to Song Taew Taxis on EVERY occassion. We used them all the time on this visit, most we paid was Bt120 for one to Star Dice nrth Pattaya from Tuk Com...every other occassion it was Bt100.....and for 2 people that's a fair price for 3/4/5 folks that's a bargain! and becuase there is no traffic late night/early morning from the clubs to Wat Chai no more than 15 mins usually. Every venue we left either had Song Taews outside or passing within seconds...never a problem...even outside Tam Nan Chon after a Sek Loso concert and very busy we got one instantly, some will quote higher first, but my bf and our freinds always try make the first offer of Bt100...we would normally accept Bt120 as that is still a good price..but never have to. Also you can continue to chat and joke with your party and having fun togther on the Song Taew.....highly recommended!

Yeah, I'll never really understand this "mai bpen rai" mentality. I mean, it's great, but only to an extent. Not related to motorcycles
After a dozen years visiting Thailand my opinion is on 'Mai pen rai' mentality........50% great!..........50% a fucking frustrating nightmare giving way to untold problems!

July 4th, 2012, 18:25
This accident happend up in Nongbua lampoo..isaan...but when people are drunk it can happen anywhere
i think in the rural districts..they wear crass helmets less...cause you dont see the police to enforce it

vnman
July 4th, 2012, 20:40
Hahaha, so funny to hear you talk. I was driving around to day and i felt so relexed. None of you have ever been or maybe not drivin in vietnam i think. Thais drive like miss daisy compared.

christianpfc
July 5th, 2012, 03:36
Ladies, it's friend, not freind.

bruce_nyc
July 5th, 2012, 05:18

Maybe he meant "fiend" and speeled it "feind" by misteak, and furgot the r in it?

bruce_nyc
July 5th, 2012, 05:20
Apparently, motorbike accidents are the number one cause of death in many Asian countries. What would be an effective solution to this massive problem?

francois
July 5th, 2012, 07:58

Maybe he meant "fiend" and speeled it "feind" by misteak, and furgot the r in it?

I think he meant "freund" the i and u are next to each other on the keyboard.

Impulse
July 5th, 2012, 09:34
This site has too many thai road accidents. Warning; very graphic. Maybe Thai drivers should be forced to look at these horific accidents. Thai Boy Does Pointers | Best Gorehttp://www.bestgore.com/road-accide ... -pointers/ (Gorehttp://www.bestgore.com/road-accidents/thai-boy-does-pointers/)

Beachlover
August 20th, 2012, 20:52
After a dozen years visiting Thailand my opinion is on 'Mai pen rai' mentality........50% great!..........50% a fucking frustrating nightmare giving way to untold problems!

Yeah, I'll never really understand this "mai bpen rai" mentality. I mean, it's great, but only to an extent. Not related to motorcycles, but a perfect example is my dog, and my neighbor's dog... Tried convincing her to just have the doctor come over, and put the dog down. But nope, she's not having that. It's obvious she's not going to make it, and will die. Why make her suffer like this?

Mai bpen rai, of course.

Or same as Kim went and got a small wound on his leg... the thing is already slightly infected. "Mai bpen rai" is good, but you can't just "mai bpen rai" everything in life.
Don't let the differences in Thai culture blur your perspective of things...

Those two examples aren't not Mai bpen rai in my opinion. They're just sheer irresponsible stupidity, laziness and even cruelty. Often displayed by simple country folk who lack the level of intelligence you and I are used to. That's why most of them remain in this lifestyle and standard of living.

One of my ex-BFs came from the sort of simple peasant background your BF came from. For some reason he was different from the rest of his family. He washed his own clothes and sorted out his own stuff from a young age because he didn't like the way his Mum did the washing or cleaned the house.

He's a very meticulous and intelligent guy. Where as his family are slobs who are happy to leave rubbish lying around the house.

Somehow, he managed to work his way out of all that to Bangkok, got educated, worked for big multi-nationals earning himself 40-50k baht/month before coming over to Australia where he's eventually gotten into business for himself and done quite well. A remarkable journey, which I deeply admire.

Over the years, he's tried in various ways to help elevate his family and siblings out of the shitty barely above the poverty line existence they have. None have worked. They simply don't have that ambition. They're happy staying where they are.

His take on it all is that his family are "very stupid... but happy and good people".

I joined him once when he visited his family. They're not necessarily bad people. They just don't care enough about their own welfare, or that of others around them to make any effort to improve their own situation or rectify issues like the examples in your two stories.

Somewhere along the line, they've decided to set a lower standard for themselves. Or maybe they were just brought up surrounded by lower standards, lack that innate desire to improve are happily accept the squalor around them as the norm. I guess my ex-BF was an exception.

SimpleSoul
August 20th, 2012, 21:32
I would further observe that a lot of farang drivers of motorbikes and cars and just as bad as has been reported. It is not limited to Thai people only. Let's not be racist.

catawampuscat
August 21st, 2012, 17:35
I would further observe that a lot of farang drivers of motorbikes and cars and just as bad as has been reported. It is not limited to Thai people only. Let's not be racist.

Proof of Simple Soul's comment will be self evident very soon when Ramadan ends and the young Arabs
return and ride the big motorcycles very fast and raise hell.. Of course, not all young Arabs do it,
but one can only notice how quiet and safe the sois are during Ramadan.

Oliver
August 21st, 2012, 18:25
Does anyone remember Song, a member of the Throb show group a few years ago? A very handsome and charming dancer too..... who lost his life on the way home in a similar fashion.
I hate my bf riding a motor-cy , even on the quiet roads around Kampaeng Phaet; all I can do is to worry and make sure his helmet is a decent one. Some of the ones I've seen in Big C wouldn't keep the rain out for long.

egel
August 22nd, 2012, 08:11
Does anyone remember Song, a member of the Throb show group
Was he one of the guys who did the Chicken Dance?

Neal
August 22nd, 2012, 08:49
Well if you listen to the radio adverts it says that motorbike accidents are behind heart disease and diabeties. :laughing3:

Oliver
August 22nd, 2012, 15:15
No egel; Song was a few years before that, soon after Kevin took over. He used to do a solo dance to "You're my sex bomb" (or whatever) in which he would pull someone on to the stage and dance with him. Wisely, he never chose me.
He was charming, cute and talented. And I understand that he was a very nice person, too.

Neal
August 22nd, 2012, 19:50
Does anyone have a picture?

travelerjim
August 23rd, 2012, 08:16
Does anyone have a picture?

Here is a photo of "Song", a most beautiful and talented entertainer, dancer at Throb...
May he rest in peace.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y64/travelerjim/Song-ThrobClub.jpg

Oliver
August 23rd, 2012, 15:22
Thanks for that....he was even cuter than the photo.
I'm pleased that we've been able to remember him on this site.

Neal
August 23rd, 2012, 20:05
He is a very handsome young man and we have lost something precious too early. I do not say this just because he is handsome but because any life lost early on is a crime.

I never knew you, would have liked to have known you.

RIP
DaBoss