PDA

View Full Version : Qatar Airlines

vnman
July 1st, 2012, 12:56
Guys I'm off to Thailand. Still have some shopping to do before my plane leaves later in the afternoon. I'm really curious about the service of Qatar airlines because they were cheaper than Airasia for this flight from SGN - BKK.

Update after landing

fountainhall
July 1st, 2012, 13:46
Qatar is one of only a handful of 5-star airlines according to Skytrax. I have flown their 777 business class and it is streets ahead of all others in my experience. In fact, it is better than many first class. I'm certain economy to SGN will also be streets ahead of Air Asia.

atri1666
July 1st, 2012, 23:27
Qatar is one of only a handful of 5-star airlines according to Skytrax. I have flown their 777 business class and it is streets ahead of all others in my experience. In fact, it is better than many first class. I'm certain economy to SGN will also be streets ahead of Air Asia.

Agree 100%.

Jellybean
July 1st, 2012, 23:51
Vnman IтАЩve used Qatar Airlines for a number of years now and am very happy with the level of service offered in Economy and Business Class (which I use every second or third flight depending on the frequency of my flights). I am a member of their frequent flyer club and am currently a silver card holder, which allows me to check-in at Business Class when on an Economy ticket, use of their Silver Class lounges and an extra baggage allowance. Since using Qatar IтАЩve never considered swopping to any other airline in my flights from the UK to Thailand. I hope your experience with Qatar is as good as mine.

gerefan2
July 2nd, 2012, 03:50
Watch the bastar*s.

I used them, splashing out on a First Class Ticket and several Business Class ones.

Last time the Business Class Fare rose from ┬г1700 to ┬г2400 in the space of 6 months. I decided to go elsewhere as I thought the price hike was too much.

Then they reduced it back to ┬г1700, presumably as they werent selling the seats. Obviously a try on.

I did want to fly with them again so as a Privilege Member I wrote asking if I would have got a refund of the balance had I bought that ticket and got a one liner saying No... Market forces etc..etc...

You can imagine how pissed off I would have been if had I paid the ┬г2400.

I wont use them again, because of that. My choice. I dont trust the buggers any more.

The BBC did a TV programme about them recently and it too was very damming of their business practices.

vnman
July 2nd, 2012, 08:39
Well, finally i can post again. Yesterday i could only login but not post.

The flight was amazing. First, we left 20 minutes early and landed 15 minutes early. Seats were absolutely perfect with so much leg space. The entertainment system was just crazy. It was ony a short flight but i would love them on a long haul. Never a boring moment with so many movies, games and music the choose from.

I'm hungover in bed But i survived the first night. Should be smooth sailing from here :glasses7:

bruce_nyc
July 2nd, 2012, 10:56
This was great news to hear. I'm booked on Qatar Airways from NYC to BKK on August 15.

I'm relieved to hear that my perceptions seem to be correct about it's excellent service.

As for price fluctuations, I think all airlines do that. It's an industry-wide business practice.

I had the option of a flight with a 13 hour overnight layover in Doha. I read that the airline provides transportation and hotel for long layovers like that. Wondering, has anyone ever tried such a long
Doha layover on Qatar Airways....?

adman5000
July 4th, 2012, 03:14
I flew back from Thailand on Qatar on my last visit. I was favorably impressed with their Business Class. I found it equivalent to many First Class seats in the past on other airlines. I did think the reboarding on second leg leaving Doha was a bit unorganized but I am in love with the 777 plane. I especially like a lavatory where I do not have to take a deep breath to fit into the bathroom. Service was superb and I really liked the flexible mealtime idea. I will use them again if they have decent pricing as I did.

martin911
July 5th, 2012, 03:36
Re Doha layovers
I had one a couple of years ago - it wasnt intentional (late flight in ment we missed connecting flight on to BKK ) , but there was only another flight later that evening (approx 8 hours away )
As it was Qatar on all legs they organized for us to stay in a hotel and transportation -- + food vouchers and they upgraded to next leg to BKK to business class --which was very very good ! better than bus class Emirates ( up to that my own favorite airline to fly with )
Food and service etc was fantastic -- but the food/ service in Qatar economy is good also (so i wouldnt pay the extra to turn left !!!!)

I remember it took a little time in the airport going from desk to desk for vouchers etc (but i assume that would not be the case in an organized
layover ) and 30 min to the city itself
Hotel was good ,but V boring !!---- all i could think about was where i would have been (DJ and God then lodged up some cute guys etc etc ) if we hadnt missed the morning connection --so it was an annoying layover for me (esp the last few hours 55555 ) i rem i nearly bit the head off reception over some small charge for some directory number phone use

Qatar themselves have to be one of the top airlines INMHO but i would not recommend the layover --hassle with immigration, luggage and then have to check in again ---id put those hours to much better use !!!!