PDA

View Full Version : Phuket is a rip-off tourist destination

June 30th, 2012, 05:33
Story from this mornings Aussie newspapers about getting the Thais to clean up the problems at Phuket http://ow.ly/1OahTs┬а

vnman
June 30th, 2012, 06:26
I wonder if those people that get ripped of have been forwarend about such ongoings in Phuket. We know what's going on because we visit blogs like this that are feeding us this stories often enough.

So I would like to know if you people living in Australia, Holland, Germany etc see much of this in your local news and how frequent. I really think that many people underestimate the situation there. I've been ones and don't feel the urge to go back.

June 30th, 2012, 07:37
I did.nt see any problems when i went but i was dissapointed with phuket ..its ok for getting to places like the pi pi islands

bucknaway
June 30th, 2012, 08:50
When I played guide to some friends who visited Thailand for the first time they didn't do any research about Thailand before they came. I have them several of my books on Thailand but they didn't read them. Even when we were here, I warned them about rip-offs but they had to find out the hard way.
They have not been back and their once harsh views on Thailand have now softened and they only remember the good times.

By far, I have run into more crooks in Phuket than I have in the rest of Thailand and I am in no hurry to ever go back to Phuket. I can say for sure that I may never see that Island again.

atri1666
June 30th, 2012, 14:43
So I would like to know if you people living in Australia, Holland, Germany etc see much of this in your local news and how frequent. I really think that many people underestimate the situation there. I've been ones and don't feel the urge to go back.

Yes there have been many stories about in big newspapers for long time and even in tv have been reports about the scams going on.

christianpfc
July 1st, 2012, 05:21
I know about problems in Phuket only from these forums I read. I has completely put me off visiting Phuket ever. In addition, I am not a beach person and apart from the scams Phuket is said to be more expensive than other areas in Thailand.

thrillbill
July 4th, 2012, 21:30
Phuket unfortunately has been ruined from tourism. The Thais are mostly from South Thailand and they do not carry the general impression we farangs have of Thais, being sincere and giving one a Thai Smile. Instead, these folks are greedy bastards and easily get angry. The tuk tuk drivers and such are a disgrace to Thailands' reputation. It is more expensive in Phuket. I thought I would never say this, but one would be better to spend their vacation money in Pattaya - cheaper to get there, cheaper, and the people are more friendly. (Ok, poor customer service, but that is part of the territory.)

July 4th, 2012, 23:07
I have to say that I have found the boys in Phuket every bit as friendly, honest, and sweet as the boys in Pattaya - or anywhere else in Thailand.
I do find some of the bars to be quite pushy, but you could name a few of those anywhere.

And, of course in Phuket there is the added attraction of a Scottish Bar - where I can while away an hour or so during the day!
And no, they don't serve deep-fried Mars bars or charge for toilet paper by the sheet :pottytrain1:

I do agree with Thrillbill about the Tuk Tuk drivers though - I despise their attitude and always try to arrange things so that I don't have to use them at all.

:hello2:

stevehadders
July 5th, 2012, 02:40
I have always enjoyed Phuket....avoid the tuk tuks, and jet ski scammers, and everyone else has always been very charming, polite and welcoming....
I even think I have been in that Scottish bar in Phuket........and EVEN they were friendly (to an Englishman!!)

Neal
July 5th, 2012, 13:26
Sorry to say it but I found the baars to be few and the staff I ran into at the hotel....well let's put it this way, I will never go back.

July 5th, 2012, 16:48
( cross posted from another thread as i thought i relevant incase any newbies are seeking several peoples views on phuket) I think you're over stating things just a tad there( about a negative post re Phuket generally ) , whilst we all know about some various scams and stuff there are still many thousands of people from all over the world go the Phuket and have a thoroughly enjoyable holiday, having been there many times myself yes the tuk tuk drivers might have the fares hiked up but if I worried about that extra 50 or 100 baht qhilst on holiday i think that then would be more of a concern to me than the scam.

And as another poster stated elsewhere I've also been with many of guys from paradise and elsewhere and found them to be every bit as delightful and nice and honest ( and dishonest) as every other MB / bar boy I've met on my travels on thailand.

There are many lovely resort hotels in Phuket and whilst we may know the average steer Thai there isn't as nice as other Thais one may met ( I think any large resort town is the same the world over though) but with nice resorts the average person can have a lovely holiday in Phuket with no idea of the shady end of things, just like all other big cities - and as I said its one of the main staging posts for most peoples visits to the islands etc so I wouldn't retract my advice at all and if the OP decides to go I'd look forward to reading his views as apart from Phuket walking street etc being tacky and the "Blackpool" ( uk cheap and tacky seaside resort) it does also have "some" nice plus points too for tourists.

stevehadders
July 5th, 2012, 17:00
I have always enjoyed Phuket (been around a dozen times, normally for 4-7 days prior to Pattaya)- it depends what you are coming for. The beaches are so much better than Pattaya (even patong the main resort has a beach far superior to Dongtan/Jomtien) and there are several good restaurants....the pace is slow and I found it relaxing. There are fewer bars than in Pattaya, but was enough to keep me well occupied for a week before hitting Pattaya. True, there is no Nab equivalent, but for a relaxing week I really enjoyed it. In addition, you have easy access to Phi Phi, Khao lak and Krabi - with their collection of truly beautiful beaches/bays etc. All my interactions with waiters/hotel staff /boys etc in Phuket have been very pleasant
Yes the tuk tuks will rip you off for 200 baht for every journey (which is why I stay within walking distance of most places I want to be), and they do so with a smile (almost), but hey ho not the end of the world.
For Party Pattaya wins, for beaches Phuket wins IMHO

Beachlover
August 20th, 2012, 20:30
So anyway... It turns out it's not just international tourists who get ripped off in Phuket. Thais do too!

I was sitting with some friends who were about to visit Phuket and warning them about the common scams when my then BF beside me piped up... "yes, I'm Thai, I even got ripped off!". He said he found Phuket to be very expensive and a rip off at every corner when he visited with his friends last year.

I wonder if those people that get ripped of have been forwarend about such ongoings in Phuket. We know what's going on because we visit blogs like this that are feeding us this stories often enough.
Nope... usually not unless they read user generated content like this or hear about it from friends. Having said that the publicity behind the Phuket rip off is rising. I keep seeing articles in the Australian media about it. Most people will forget about it in a while but if the bad press keeps flowing out, Phuket's brand will take a lasting hit. I reckon it serves them right.

Phuket unfortunately has been ruined from tourism. The Thais are mostly from South Thailand and they do not carry the general impression we farangs have of Thais, being sincere and giving one a Thai Smile. Instead, these folks are greedy bastards and easily get angry. The tuk tuk drivers and such are a disgrace to Thailands' reputation. It is more expensive in Phuket.
I agree with the above...

I know about problems in Phuket only from these forums I read. I has completely put me off visiting Phuket ever. In addition, I am not a beach person and apart from the scams Phuket is said to be more expensive than other areas in Thailand.
Look... Phuket is nice overall so don't let it put you off visiting once. You should definitely visit at least once. But whether you come back again is a different matter. I probably won't bother. So many nicer places to take beach holidays that don't deliberately inconvenience or rip you off with scams.

it depends what you are coming for. The beaches are so much better than Pattaya (even patong the main resort has a beach far superior to Dongtan/Jomtien)
I agree... Pattaya/Jomtien beaches are horrible. Funnily enough, I don't even bother going down to the beach when I'm in Pattaya anymore. The rooftop hotel pool is much nicer and has a better view.

August 21st, 2012, 02:46
... The rooftop hotel pool is much nicer and has a better view.

Any chance of a photo of it, dear?

:evil4:

Beachlover
August 21st, 2012, 12:55
Maybe later... when I can be arsed to write a review of it. :happy7:

In the meantime, some stats showing Phuket's hotel prices dropped dramatically last year.

The key Thai holiday destinations of Koh Samui and Phuket fell 15 per cent and 8 per cent.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/travel/travel-new ... 1uxzp.html (http://www.smh.com.au/travel/travel-news/hotel-rates-rise-globally-but-thai-island-prices-tumble-20120313-1uxzp.html)

Fittingly, Phuket and Samui are probably the two greediest and mafia-ridden holiday destinations in Thailand.

I wonder if the trend will continue in 2012...