PDA

View Full Version : stupid question time - what's different re a "Thai BBQ" ?

June 27th, 2012, 05:26
So, as the title suggests - stupid question time - so i was reading somewhere about someone going to their friends house for a Thai BBQ which got me to wondering "what's the difference between a Thai BBQ and a western BBQ??" is it different food cooked, cooked in a different way or just a well used phrase for come over and we'll cook "something/anything" but more importantly open several bottles of whisky perhaps - and if it's the latter then that sounds more like an Irish BBQ to me !!! :-) So, anyone any idea ?

adman5000
June 27th, 2012, 06:25
The Thai BBQ I have attended consisted of a clay or thick brick pot open at the top into which hot charcoal or embers were deposited with a pan/grill on top into which they put broth and the very top had something like a grill or metal surface which they used to cook strip of various meats on bamboo skewers and cooked the veggies in the broth. Several folks can sit around the pot and cook their food to their liking with various choices of meats and veggies. It is hot doing this type of cooking so you need something cold to drink of course.

I have gone to large outdoor restaurants which have a setup at each table to do this and you go up and select whatever meats or veggies you want- kind of like a buffet where you cook your own. I have also been at a Thai home where they have someone come by on motorcy and drop off the items including hot charcoal and a variety of food. The Thai folks seem to really enjoy doing this with a group or family and of course cooking for and fussing over the unskilled Farang. I always spring for such a thing as it is relatively cheap but sanook. I have attended similar meals in Vietnam. I think it is fairly healthy way to cook and eat. It takes time to cook things so you can't eat to much too quickly.

Nothing like our western style BBQ with slow cooked smoking of meats such as ribs or pulled pork and marinade or spice rub or tomato-based BBQ sauces which vary by region from sweet to hot to vinegary sauces.

June 27th, 2012, 06:34
ah I see, ok, thank you, I live and learn :-)

anonone
June 27th, 2012, 06:42
Good explanation and fits my experience as well. I have experienced both in Pattaya as well as Isan. It is a fun time and I am always amazed at how much the slight of stature Thais can manage to eat.

It was a shock the first time. I took the BF and some of his family out to eat. BF asked if we could go to a "buffet". Turned out to be a Thai BBQ place. I went to the "buffet" table and encountered pans of raw meat, mostly internal organs (heart, kidney, etc). Wasn't quite what I was expecting. :sign5:

The juices from all the meat drip down into the soup, which just keeps getting better and better as the meal goes on.

And yes, BF liked to "take care" of me by offering morsels properly cooked, finding my favorites, and so on. Though I think he was slightly favored his mother having the best, which came as no surprise to me in regard to relative importance in his eyes. :sign5:

If you have the chance, it is worthwhile to check out. Of course I tend to eat local while visiting, so it was a given that I would be up for it.

pong
June 27th, 2012, 16:55
adman hit it right on.
It is sometimes called ''chinese fondue''
BTW-there are various big chain-resrtrs offering nothing but that type-you order the amound opf meats and veggies to put on.
There is also Mongol BBQ-that is on a hotplace/grill and more akin to western ideas of it.
The Thai have 1000s of those outdoor giant places-all with stone tables and 4 seats on benches around- named moo kata- all you can eat for 89/99/129 or so bt-but with a big fine if you leave food left over!

cdnmatt
June 27th, 2012, 20:12
This is a Thai BBQ

http://www.hotelchatter.com/files/admin/thailand_BBQ.jpg

If anyone hasn't tried it yet, give it a shot. It's actually really good, or at least I enjoy it. We eat it at least once a week together, and there's usually BBQ here at the house 2 or 3 times a week. When we eat out, it's generally Thai BBQ as well. Either that, or it'll be something similar called "jao aawn". Different food, but same type of setup as BBQ. Instead of the clay thing with fire, you just a have a burner with a pot & broth. Then you just get you plates of small chunks of meat & greens, throw them in, and eat up!

I feel sorry for the poor guys who work at a BBQ restaurant here, and are charged with cleaning all those metal things at the end of the night. Those things are a bitch to clean. Couldn't imagine doing 200 of them in one night. :-)

billy2bs
June 27th, 2012, 22:36
"Couldn't imagine doing 200 of them in one night. :-)"

Well Matt, I could imagine it but then where are these 200 boys anyways? Id give it a try maybe. :party

June 28th, 2012, 00:36
Yes me and my bf like going to Thai bbq's...eat as much as you like and cheep

christianpfc
June 28th, 2012, 03:07
We eat it at least once a week together, and there's usually BBQ here at the house 2 or 3 times a week.

You mean you ate it at least once a week and you used to have one 2 or 3 times a week? (I'm referring to your recent break-up, but if I read the last posts carefully, it sounds like you are back together?)

June 28th, 2012, 03:30
who said he broke up ??? I believe he just asked a question asking peoples opinion ( god knows why he would care about that though) as to what they would think of him, but I believe Matt ( or whatever his name is) has posted several times since stating he's still there and giving it another ( one final) go perhaps and I wish them both all the best with that.

RonanTheBarbarian
June 28th, 2012, 03:53
He is giving it one last go Christian....reread the end of the "doing a runner" thread.

The current last post is my gems of wisdom...so you can take it that all problems are solved fer shure! :old:

christianpfc
June 28th, 2012, 03:57
Indeed, I am wrong again. I interpreted past tense in the original post on Thaivisa, but now re-reading it rather reads like a possible plan for the future.

cdnmatt
June 30th, 2012, 19:21
Useless Thai BBQ fact time!

Apparently, once people realize you're setup at the market they frequent everyday after work / school, you can move 15 kilos of BBQ in a 4 hour period.