PDA

View Full Version : Best phone app for language translation ?

jaydonny
June 8th, 2012, 07:04
Can any one recommend a phone app for english-thai translation, that you have used and found it to be ok ?

kanom
June 8th, 2012, 15:01
Iphone app, Talking Thai English Thai dictionary is the best I found. Around 25 USD and worth it.

June 8th, 2012, 16:22
@kanom - are you aware does the App have to be online to function or once purchased does it load the entire dictionary on to your phone and then only require occasional updates ?? The reason I ask is in the past I've tried to use other brands of App dictionaries but found that if I didn't have a solid wifi connection etc ( as I've no contract set up when traveling) they were next to useless?

kanom
June 9th, 2012, 08:18
The app I refer to does load the whole dictionary. the Thai voice translation also works. It is the best app I have seen around and with a very large word database. Hope you enjoy it if you decide to use it.

Gaybutton
June 9th, 2012, 13:36
You didn't say whether you are using an Iphone or an Android phone. I use an Android phone and I found two that I like. I think the best of the two is "Droidslator." The other is "Astrotek Dictionary." With both you are able to either type in the word or speak the word in English. Then the words in Thai come up.

The one kanom refers to is also available for Android phones: "Talking Thai <> Eng Dictionary"

Neither Droidslator nor Astrotek Dictionary have capability to speak the word in Thai, but the apps are free. Compared to buying a separate talking dictionary and using "Talking Thai <> Eng Dictionary" on a smart phone for a purchase price of roughly US $25, I'd say that's a damned good deal.

"Talking Thai <> Eng Dictionary" is made by Paiboon Publishing, and Paiboon has one of the best reputations for instructional materials for learning Thai.

Yraen
June 9th, 2012, 18:54
Hey guys.

This is related to the thread but not directly so.

Has anyone ever found the need to contact Paiboon Publishing? Allegedly, they are in BKK somewhere, perhaps in the northern industrial/commercial area.

I have some of their software that has become dated and Win7 x64 will not allow it to open, let alone install.

Each time I have tried to email or go to their website, I finish up with some unknown enterprise in the USA.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

tobias-old
June 9th, 2012, 19:33
Tried these ?

http://www.paiboonpublishing.com/contact.php

Thailand Office

Paiboon Poomsan Publishing
582 Amarinniwate Village 2
Sukhapiban Road 1 (Nawamin 90)
Bungkum, Bangkok 10230
Thailand

Tel: (66)2 509-8632
Fax: (66)2 519-5437

Email: paiboonpublishing@gmail.com

The iphone app is one of the best I have seen for Thai to English and back dictionary and is well worth the $25.

Edit: To add if you can get the software to run or install in compatibility mode(right click and select the tab), you could always install virtual box (its free from sun) and install a windows xp or 98 on a virtual machine and run it that way.

cameroncat
June 12th, 2012, 06:33
If you have an iPhone and local data plan (or access to WiFi), "iTranslate VOICE" will let you actually speak in English (and other languages) to the phone (a la SIRI), and get the translation in SPOKEN THAI. It's fantastic. It's 99 cents.

June 12th, 2012, 08:57
Based on your recommendation I just went on and downloaded that App to try Cameron an it seems to have every lamguage EXCEPT Thai in the available preset languages, was this something you had to go in and download separately perhaps or is there a website for add on languages do you know perhaps ??