PDA

View Full Version : Thai Yellow Shirt Protestors Halt Parliament Debate

Neal
June 6th, 2012, 16:06
01/ Jun/ 2010
Thai Yellow-Shirt Protesters Halt Parliament Debate
Anti-government protesters brought Thailand's parliament to a halt on Friday, surrounding the complex and forcing the speaker to postpone debate on a reconciliation bill that critics say is aimed at allowing deposed prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra to return home. This follows two days of the "worst chaos in the history of Thai parliament" - with opposition MPs of the Democrat Party miming the Nazi salute in front of the House speaker; throwing copies of documents and books at him; dragging the speakerтАЩs empty chair off the podium, sparking a scuffle with government MPs; and one opposition MP choking a member of the ruling Puea Thai party.
"I have ordered the meeting to be postponed indefinitely," House speaker Somsak Kiatsuranont told reporters Friday afternoon. "We'll have to analyze the situation before determining when the meeting will be held again." Unconfirmed reports suggested that the ruling party was now looking for an alternative venue to convene a parliamentary session.
About 1,000 supporters of the anti-Thaksin People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD), better known as the Yellow Shirts, and members of the ultra-royalist "multi-coloured" group, blocked roads Friday leading to Parliament. Protesters reportedly formed lines and pushed back police, disrupting officers from securing passage for MPs to enter Parliament. They denied entry to most lawmakers scheduled to discuss the so-called reconciliation bill, with reports saying that only opposition MPs of the Democrat Party were allowed access to the parliament.
The bill would grant amnesty to all parties involved in political violence and wrongdoing from the end of 2005 through mid-2010, a period when Thailand was wracked by political turmoil and protests. The Yellow Shirts oppose the reconciliation bill because they say the government will use a blanket amnesty to bring back self-exiled former premier Thaksin Shinawatra without him having to serve jail time for a graft conviction.
More than 1,000 demonstrators clad in yellow shirts and holding banners with anti-government slogans had gathered around parliament since early morning. Rally leaders set up a truck as a makeshift stage and took turns denouncing the government's national unity proposals as hundreds of riot police secured the parliament building.
"We need to deal with this government. If they don't listen to us, the PAD are experts at getting rid of prime ministers," Chamlong Srimuang, a yellow-shirt leader, told the cheering crowd.
The current government, elected last July, is led by ThaksinтАЩs sister, Yingluck Shinawatra, and he is widely seen as pulling the strings from his base in Dubai.
The Yellow Shirts, drawn broadly from the ranks of the urban middle class and supporters of the traditional royalist-military elite, staged mass rallies against Thaksin before he was ousted in a bloodless coup in September 2006. They also helped undermine a pro-Thaksin government in 2008, holding protracted rallies and forcing the closure of BangkokтАЩs two airports for a week just before the courts disbanded the government that December

Reuters

June 6th, 2012, 16:40
I SWEAR to god considering I've just booked my flights to Bkk only last night if those Red and Yellow short buggers start up their nonsense again while I'm there causing trouble, closing airports and rioting, closing roads and being very bold boys in general they'll have more than the their Government to deal with as there will be one VERY pissed off Irish man - and THEN they'll see a riot and mayhem all right !!!

So, they'd better keep all their political shananigans to themselves until at least the 1st of August until I've returned back to ever so peaceful N.Ireland or they'll be hell to pay ! I don't think I've had one single holiday of late to Thailand where they haven't been out kicking the shit out of each other or protesting against some shit or other or worst still closing the bars !! - so, they've been duly warned !!! - I mean how DARE they even think of looking after the internal politics of their Country and protesting over such things and the like until such times that "I" have my bi-annual shagging trip holiday over me - such a total lack of consideration, very un-Thai, shame on them all - :-((( !! lol :-)

vnman
June 6th, 2012, 17:41
We do have Joe onsite these days so he could calm down the situation somewhat and explain the predicament the Thai government puts you "Lord NIrish" in. If I'm not to hungover Monday morning, I could also plead your case for the higher courts and ask for a continuance on what ever bill, ruling or law they are about to pass and/or any meeting scheduled to discuss such endeavors. :notworthy:

It's still a political mess and I don't even pretend to understand anything of whats going on there. I'm with NIrish and only worry about my few days in LOS.

June 6th, 2012, 17:58
Yes try that please, ask them to hold over all business until August and that should about cover it.

And no like you I do my utmost NOT to try and either learn or have an opinion as to who's fucking who over or why as I all I want is to go, have a good time and leave, internal politics is I find best left to those living there who care as I remember only too well all the very many well intentioned ( it has to be said usually American) tourists coming into many Belfast bars over the years here of an evening and telling us locals what "the troubles" were all about and exactly what we / the other side needed to do to stop them, when they generally of course hadn't a SINGLE clue as to what they were talking about and the only thing they achieved was that we all as a Country all got together one night ( in a different bar then they were all in ) and decided that instead of fighting each other we'd just turn our attentions to those types of Americans until they up and left for another Country in which to spread their new found wisdom lol.

Thankfully our master plan has worked a treat and with us being the canny Irish men that we are we did it all so sneakily that the yanks actually left thinking it was them who had fixed our problems and also very kindly them sent us sack loads of money for many years thereafter to prop up their fledging peace build attempts lol :-) - Boss before you go off on one I'm only HALF joking re all of the above.......I'll just leave it up to you to decide which half :-)) lol