PDA

View Full Version : Buying a new camera

lukylok
May 31st, 2012, 02:54
My photo camera lets me down ! so I need to replace it.
I go to Thailand end of June through Amsterdam.
I am looking for a good quality "bridge" model but nothing too fancy.
Already checked the "special offers" of the duty free but find they are more expensive than the shops here (Fnac etc...).
I never looked at the prices in Thailand,as I was not interested.
Is it really a bargain to buy in LOS ?
I am sure many on this board have definite opinions !

May 31st, 2012, 03:01
I bought a camera two trips ago in one of Electronic mall superstores - only to find that it was actually cheaper once I got home AND I then had a problem getting the warranty enforced as whilst I had a receipt from the shop in Thailand they hadn't opened the box and stamped the warranty certificate plus I seem to recall that the warranty and return of goods etc was only valid in the Country where the goods were bought in the end according to the small print so rather than go through all the hassle I gave up and simply bought an exact replica model here for less later.

And like you I'll be interested to hear whether people do believe that Thailand / Asia is the cheap shoppers paradise that we always hear about as I certainly have never found it to be so.

Up2U
May 31st, 2012, 11:00
Elecrtronics is cheaper in America than LOS (even HK), but I am not sure about UK.

fountainhall
May 31st, 2012, 11:48
I'll be interested to hear whether people do believe that Thailand / Asia is the cheap shoppers paradise that we always hear about as I certainly have never found it to be so.
Generally speaking, 'no' - not any more. But it depends on several factors. In the UK, VAT is around 20%. In Singapore and Thailand you can get the VAT refunded on exit - minus pretty hefty initial service fees. In Hong Kong, on the other hand, there is no VAT - but shop rents and wages/commissions are usually higher, so this is reflected in the price of the goods. Then there's the issue of international warranties. As NIrish Guy pointed out, cameras with a full international guarantee will be more expensive than those with just local warranties. And no visitor should consider buying any electronics without a full guarantee. Then, as you seek out even lower prices, you begin to worry if the camera you're buying actually did "fall off the back of a lorry" when no paperwork comes with it.

The only proviso to the above is that models seem to change faster in some countries than others. So older models are sometimes marked down in price to make space for the new ones. This is true in Hong Kong where you can get meaningful discounts on camera models maybe only six months after they come on to the market.

One thing to watch out for in Asia when comparing prices, is that shops with the lower prices may 'trick' you into showing you the camera and the case plus a couple of extras. You then assume that the prices covers all items. Often, it does not. You pay for the camera and then find you have to pay more for the case and other bits and pieces.

Wesley
May 31st, 2012, 11:57
http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_secti ... oduct=1542 (http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/product.asp?product=1542)

I bought this or a model similar for about the same price they have there 299 in the Philippines likely its there in a mall there if it was in mall in Cebu. It will shot anything you want an has movie capabilities too. I have not seen many cameras with so many good things as this on one digital camera, you can take a thousand or more pictures with one card and it has all the trimmings, good thing you get a used one on amazon or internet store for about 50 bucks used as good as the camera that has lasted me now 5 years and still going. you can add on stuff to catch up with technology if you like.

cameroncat
May 31st, 2012, 12:19
This is the best site for researching and reviews of cameras: DPREVIEW.COM
Sales of smaller "Point & Shoot" Cameras are dropping like a rock now that most smart phones (Especially the iPhone) take outstanding "casual" pictures. Not too good in low lighting however. If you still want a smallish point and shoot that can take good low light pictures, the Canon S100 is highly rated (but also a bit on the pricey side). I have one and use it when I'm in the mood to haul around my Larger DSLR. That said, I end up taking the majority of my pics nowdays on my iPhone 4s. The ability to instantly edit and upload to Facebook, Instagram etc. is hard to resist.