PDA

View Full Version : Booze - is it just beer & whisky?

Brettjm
May 10th, 2012, 16:45
Hi folks.

Jeez, this is almost a life or death question.

I've been reading and reading and something that really comes across is that everyone talks about drinking beers and buying bottles of whisky to share in the bars.

I hate both, and I'm a big drinker.

I'm a rum or vodka drinker. If it's got to be a brown drink, i'd drink Jack. Will I find vodka or other spirits? By the bottle to share and party with in bars / clubs?

And someone said wine and champagne are hard to find & expensive?

joe552
May 10th, 2012, 19:31
I'm a vodka drinker and have never had a problem finding it. As for wine, I was drinking some Australian red last year and it was ok for me, but I'm no expert - I just know what I like - it wasn't expensive.

vnman
May 10th, 2012, 20:15
Bacardi never was a problem

May 10th, 2012, 20:32
I'm like yourself Brettjm that I've known to be a spirits drinker ( Bacardi, Vodka, jack daniels you name it :-) when at home and I find "generally" you can get enough of whatever you need in most decent bars ( may be not all bars in Sunnee though I found!) - however in saying that it was so bloody hot that I reverted to drinking almost always either only beer ( which I like too :-) or god forbid WATER to keep my hydration levels up - I never thought I'd live to see that day !!!

joe552
May 10th, 2012, 22:09
I reverted to drinking . . . .god forbid WATER to keep my hydration levels up - I never thought I'd live to see that day !!!

call yourself an Irishman? ought to be ashamed. :occasion9:

francois
May 10th, 2012, 23:19
Beaucoup wine and champagne in retail stores but at a high price. Even cheap wine is expensive @ 300 Baht/bottle. The wine served at bars is awful; almost all serve some swill called Mont Clair. Restaurants have house wine that may/may not be drinkable and also have wine by the bottle. Price of bottled wines is even more expensive then retail by 100%. Thailand is not a wine drinkers paradise.

gaymandenmark
May 11th, 2012, 00:32
Thailand is not a wine drinkers paradise.

No it is not, I have also trouble finding a Poire William or an Armangac Vintage as an avec to my coffee. :laughing3:

joe552
May 11th, 2012, 00:40
Thailand is not a wine drinkers paradise.

No it is not, I have also trouble finding a Poire William or an Armangac Vintage as an avec to my coffee. :laughing3:

quelle horreur :occasion9:

anonone
May 11th, 2012, 02:35
Brettjm.
You will certainly be able to find vodka in Thailand, and just about any other liquor as well. As indicated, some of the smaller bars might have a more limited selection. You just have to ask. In most cases, if you have a request to open a whole bottle, most likely one of the staff will hurry off to the store to get a bottle if not in already in stock.

If you are looking to open a "personal" bottle of vodka at a bar, keep it for numerous nights and offer a drink or two for some friends, also very easy to do. They will find a bottle for you if you ask.

Hitting the disco with a large group might be a bit more dicey. Seems the default bottle of choice for the group is scotch whiskey (Johny Walker Red or Black) or a cheaper blend (Piper, etc). I don't think I have ever seen a group bottle of vodka...but I am not the disco expert, so someone may correct me.

While not my first choice for a drink, when partying at the disco, the JW Red is tolerable. I usually mix with half soda water and half Coke. Somehow seems to go down just fine....

joe552
May 11th, 2012, 02:38
While not my first choice for a drink, when partying at the disco, the JW Red is tolerable. I usually mix with half soda water and half Coke. Somehow seems to go down just fine....

certainly after the first 3 or 4 :alc:

Brettjm
May 11th, 2012, 03:52
Ha ha yes I must admit if I'm forced into a corner I'll drink just about anything and after the first few i guess who cares what it is, but in hot weather a cold vodka tonic with lots of ice is definitely my preferred poison, or, if there is nothing else, beer, but only if it's icy cold.

I like the idea of having a personal bottle stashed at a couple of bars, that's excellent advice, thank you very much everyone.

newalaan
May 11th, 2012, 04:39
I'm a rum or vodka drinker. If it's got to be a brown drink, i'd drink Jack. Will I find vodka or other spirits? By the bottle to share and party with in bars / clubs?
As most have said in the bars you will get almost any type of spirit and if not in stock a waiter will usually nip out to the nearest 7-11/supermarket to get it. However a specific brand might not be availabe. In the clubs you will be far more restricted as the rest of your Thai company will want whiskey, but you could take in your own Rum or vodka for a corkage charge (Bt200-300?). Vodka is available in all the clubs but only the 'brands' they have special deals and tie-ups with..say Absolut or Smirnoff.

An alternative in the bars/agogos/beerbars could be to drink Sang Som or Mekong which although described by Thais as Thai whiskey...they are not. They are Rums, the Sang Som is very close to Spiced Rum such as Morgans Spiced Rum. The only problem with this is that few clubs will have these brands or want to push them and your thai friends will not want to be 'seen' with that brand on their table. As for whiskey, any of the Blended whiskey's will do if mixed with soda/coke etc.. nobody can tell the difference between brands when mixed to that extent anyway. Even JW red and JW Black is very difficult to tell apart with a doze of coke or soda/coke in it. JW Black on your table is more a 'statement' to Thais than understanding of taste, so don't get duped into paying out so that your barboy can puff out his chest in front of his friends. I have filled glasses with only soda/coke and a hint of whiskey later in the evening in the past and none can tell. They can tell however if there is TOO MUCH whiskey in the glass, in which case it gets watered down quickly.

Where a decent whiskey will help however is if you get started with rock/paper/sissors with the loser drinking straight shots, but often the loser will just have to take a drink of his already mixed drink. Depends on your friends 'rules' on this one.

Seems the default bottle of choice for the group is scotch whiskey (Johny Walker Red or Black) or a cheaper blend (Piper, etc).
Thai boys will try to get you to buy the best 'looking' bottle to have on the table if they can get away with it. But they will drink anything alcoholic with the name whiskey on it. Just note the working boys who are togther sharing and they will just get the cheapest available. Often seen them with Blend 285 Thai whiskey, but normally the minimum requirement is whiskey from Scotland. Pipers, Ballantynes,JW Red etc.. JW Black is the one they would all like to have 'on show' but it's a total waste on guys happy to drink Blend 285 or Pipers.

I usually drink only water with whiskey, and when diluted with water and ice it doesn't really matter to me what brand it is. I give up on the 'taste' aspect anyway at a club i'm just there for the fun. The advantage of water only with whiskey is that i never ever get hung over because of the amount of water consumed over the evening re-hydrates me. I usually join in with rock/paper/sissors dependimg on the mood/fun in the company i'm with or if the music is poor and the fun element needs a 'kick'.

I don't think I have ever seen a group bottle of vodka...but I am not the disco expert, so someone may correct me.
I'm no expert either, but on my last visit i fancied vodka for a change from whiskey at NAB one night and had a bottle of that and a bottle of whiskey as well and left the members of the company to choose what they wanted. The whiskey i think 'red' was Bt1500 and the Vodka 'absolut?' Bt1800 for the bottle. I have seen a few bottles of vodka at NAB and clubs ordered by groups of Russians. They don't care about what Thais drink as they rarely invite them into their company anyway.

colmx
May 11th, 2012, 04:50
You can get a bottle of Vodka in the discos
Think the going rate is 1300B for a 700ml bottle of smirnoff red
Tonics and ice would be on top of that

Be warned though that if you are in the company of thai boys that the bottle will not last long
As soone as teh vodka appears... an order of limes @100B will usually be secretly ordered... along with a shot glass

hen watch as the boys hold their noses (can never figure that one out!) whilst downing the vodka "on the rocks" (can't figure that one out either as there is no ice involved just a pure shot)

When you come back from the toilet the bottle will be gone!

I usually drink V&Ts earlier in the night (gogo rounds) and then hit JK red + soda in the discos

May 11th, 2012, 05:07
You will certainly be able to find vodka in Thailand, I don't think I have ever seen a group bottle of vodka...but I am not the disco expert, so someone may correct me.

After going to a few places over a few nights with the same guy he was always asking why i was screwing my nose up when it came to drinking time ( well that's not the exact words he used but that's what he meant) and I explained I'm not a whiskey drinker per se and that whilst I can stomach the odd one to keep everyone happy drinking cheap whiskey all night every night, with mixers that taste and are different to what I'm used to isn't my idea of a great night out - later in bed he brought this up again and asked "you drink anything else, what you like" - to which I replied vodka or bacardi would be wonderful for a wee change and his eyes lit up and he said "Ah vodka yes, I can do" so, that was all settled then, away we went the next night and before we went out he asked "what sort vodka you like" and I told basically anything would do

So, off we went, in to the club, I was chatting away to someone whilst he ordered and what arrived to the table.....you guessed it WHISKEY !! GRRR and the buggers had it opened before I'd a chance to open my mouth ! lol - after grabbing him by the balls later about he claimed in the time from us walking into the club and me reminding him to him going off to get a waiter "he forget" - I could have happily chinned him at that point Thai or no Thai !! lol

But I got the last laugh as for sheer badness I drank the lions share of it all until we left just to jokingly piss him off - and my plan worked a treat as he couldn't drink for shit anyway lol

francois
May 11th, 2012, 05:14
or, if there is nothing else, beer, but only if it's icy cold.

No problem with an icy cold beer; they often serve it with ice.

Brettjm
May 11th, 2012, 06:00
Wow a million thanks for the discussion, info, prices, etc, that's great, I feel much more like I'm going to enjoy myself now. I was so worried, i could actually taste whisky while reading about the bars and it was really turning me off. That's brilliant. I don't really plan to spend thousands of dollars (or even hundreds) worrying about what bar boys want to drink, or which brand will give them kudos, although I'm always generous and hospitable.

No that's bollocks, it's my nature to enjoy the happiness of others and get a bit frivolous when I'm drinking and in the company of handsome younger men, so I'll probably get caught up in it all anyway. I best readjust my budget a little to cover the inevitable.

So the ice is safe then? That's the best news of all, anything is far more drinkable with plenty of ice.

colmx
May 11th, 2012, 06:13
worrying about what bar boys want to drink, or which brand will give them kudos, although I'm always generous and hospitable.

After years of drinking whiskey in Thai night spots i have become something of a whiskey snob just like the Thais

For me JW red is fine for a disco... anything less and i would find myself pitying you (poor farang can only afford 100 pipers or Blend 285)
Anything better and i would also find myself pitying you (poor farang has been duped into buying JW Black or higher)

When it comes to late night venues/karaokes etc 100 pipers is fine... left over JW red also acceptable... but wouldn't dream of opening another JWR
Same logic as above with pity for those that drink higher or lower
And for gogo bars same same

Not sure why this logic applies... it just does... guess i have been brainwashed! :dontknow: :dontknow:

SlaveDriver
May 11th, 2012, 07:55
Excuse me guys. This is not Thai forum. Its a Farang forum.

Who drinks JW Black or Red with Coke and Soda. You drink on the rocks. Come on farangs ....... :party

anonone
May 11th, 2012, 08:07
Brettjm.
Ice is perfectly safe in the disco / bars / etc. It is formed ice made with purified water.

Since you seem to be asking questions about the disco / bottle thing, some additional info might be in order...as I was taken by surprise during my first disco outing.

When you get to the table and order the bottle, it will come with a bucket of ice and mixers. The mixers are usually bottles of Coke Cola and bottles of soda water. This first round of mixers and ice is included with the bottle. The waiter also monitors everyone's drink status...most make it a personal mission to ensure no glass is ever empty.

As the night goes on, any additional ice or mixers are at additional cost. Honestly can't remember the going rates...expensive for sure compared to a store. The waiter should ask if you want additional ice / mixers...if you agree, will then be presented with another check.

Most of the host bars I frequent, all mixers and ice are included with the bottle. No additional charge for more ice, etc. as the night goes on. Some may charge additional if the bottle is saved overnight and fresh mixers / ice are started on a later day.

I really do not sweat the details too much when it comes to this stuff. My vacations are short and Thais beautiful. I am not worried about a couple hundred baht for an ice bucket....but when I didn't expect it, it rubbed me the wrong way.

As a random tip, one of the discos...I think it is NAB club...has the most awesome popcorn ever. Not the "free" basket that is set down at the beginning of the night, but if you buy an order...holy cow...good stuff. I don't know what kind of seasoning / topping / whatever this stuff contains, but wicked good.

Brettjm
May 11th, 2012, 08:52
Thank you Anonone and everyone else who responded, I now feel adequately well informed to hit the town and at least get drunk successfully, which is, after all, one of my two objectives covered.

There seems to be plenty of data in other posts to inform and educate me about my second objective, so, in the hope that I will find some more specific info about the bars in Patong by trawling through this forum, I probably have little else to say today except "bring it on"...

May 11th, 2012, 11:27
Excuse me guys. This is not Thai forum. Its a Farang forum.

Who drinks JW Black or Red with Coke and Soda. You drink on the rocks. Come on farangs ....... :party

Ha ha yeah good luck with that :-) I look forward to you trying to change the Thai guys ways that you're with - or getting them to stop pouring you your whiskey and coke and soda water as they try to "take care you" no matter HOW many times you tell them what you'd ACTUALLY prefer lol - yeah, good luck with that, let me know how that goes for you lol :-)

May 11th, 2012, 11:36
As a random tip, one of the discos have the most awesome popcorn ever........ I don't know what kind of seasoning / topping / whatever this stuff contains, but its wicked good.

AHH !! That'll be the Yabba popcorn then you've had then ( or "ya pop" as they call it for short I believe) - as once your waiter see's that you're spending some money and are out for a good night away he takes the normal shitty popcorn away, goes behind the bar, places / laces warm popcorn ( so the yabba sticks to it ) with a bag of yabba which tastes sweet of course (and which is where the better taste comes from ) and I guarantee that you've always then had a "great" night out after eating it ! - yes, am I right :-) - they "assume that you know they are doing this for you so if you didn't want to try or use that stuff you really should say to them !

That's why I always laugh at farang who talk about "oh I would NEVER touch drugs" but yet little do they know they're sitting there happy munching away on yabba laced popcorn ALL NIGHT - which just like all drugs once you start eating it you find you just can't stop and always want more and more - again am i right ! - plus the waiter knows when you're "lit and buzzing" on your yabba trip that he'll always get a better tip.

Normally it's accepted that they just add the cost (250 baht) for the bag of yabba that he needs to do this "special taking care" for you on to your check at the end of night assuming that you either know that's what he was doing for you or that you perhaps don't know but don't mind or that you simply don't know or notice or care but just like the high so are happy to pay - so the next time the police raid the place and you've been eating the "good" popcorn for god sake DON'T volunteer for a pee test to get leaving early or you may just find yourself queued up for a night in the cells with all the other drug users from the club - but at least if you've eaten enough of the popcorn you probably won't mind for the first few hours or until the yabba starts to wear off anyway !!!

Brettjm
May 11th, 2012, 14:20
Nirish you're joking yeah?

Neal
May 11th, 2012, 16:18
Yeah Irish are you joking cause I never heard of any of that!? Although we sometimes give out nuts and stuff.

As far as a bottle, we have just about everything in extra bottles for sale. Mixers are included with the bottle and the bottle can be stored. As long as you have alcohol in the bottle you can have free mixers but we do not allow drinking mixers alone.

Now off to this wine comment. I see that someone called the Mont Clair garbage. Now I do know that everyone drinks it and I stock it in the bar for that specific reason. Does everyone feel it is garbage? If you do, I can certainly change the wines to bottles of wine and store them corked in the refrigerator for use during the week. I am not a wine drinker and I know you would all like the bars to cartry the best but I was never aware that anyone felt the wine was garbage except one customer who told me that and I dont react to one complaint out of hundreds. Please let me know as I can switch!

joe552
May 11th, 2012, 16:18
I certainly hope he's joking, Brettjim :dontknow:

Brettjm
May 11th, 2012, 16:42
If there's vodka I don't mind about wine, but I do like to polish off an icy cold bottle of champagne if I'm going out on my own and not in the mood for drinking :-p

May 11th, 2012, 17:09
I do like to polish off an icy cold bottle of champagne if I'm going out on my own and not in the mood for drinking :-p

Lol - a bottle on your own eh :-) lol you didn't tell us you were Irish Brettjm !!! lol :-) Way to go !!! :-)

joe552
May 11th, 2012, 17:10
I drank some palatable red wine on my last visit - the only thing I know is that it was Australian - it was fine for me. Neal, I'll give your red wine a go when I'm there. I assume a "taster glass" or two is on the house? :dontknow:

Brettjm
May 11th, 2012, 17:12
My maternal grandfather was Michael John O'Brien. True story.

Yeah, just one bottle, if I'm not in the mood for drinking :-p

joe552
May 11th, 2012, 17:15
so what about this yabba-laced popcorn, NIrish Guy? was it a joke (pretty scary if not).

May 11th, 2012, 17:23
so what about this yabba-laced popcorn, NIrish Guy? was it a joke (pretty scary if not).

What you've never had it Joe, is that what you're saying ?

joe552
May 11th, 2012, 17:26
I've never heard of it till now. In fairness, I haven't been to a club for a couple of years.

May 11th, 2012, 17:29
I've never heard of it till now. In fairness, I haven't been to a club for a couple of years.

Oh really, yeah no doubt that's why as I've only noticed it happening the last two years maybe as before that it was only ever the cold ( shitty) popcorn which didn't have the same "effect" lets say.

joe552
May 11th, 2012, 17:42
I think you're winding us all up. :occasion9:

May 11th, 2012, 17:53
JOE !!! I'm hurt and offended by such a scurrillous accusation ! You'll be hearing from my solicitor in the morning !!!

lol :-) Aye ok Hands up :-) for the record and before people start rushing off to order large bowls of my "special Ya pop" I was jesting in response to the original question of "I wonder what they lace that with" - I couldn't resist :-) he he

But personally I think it sounded like a GREAT idea and one that should be taken to on that dragons den show and marketed world wide - hell I could make a fortune !!!!! lol :-) Damn it I guess annoucing I was the inventor and distributor of a yabba based heated popcorn snack to be sold throughout the world and in effect making me a world wide drug dealer may have a somewhat detrimental chance of me actually getting a Thai visa then lol :-)

Neal
May 11th, 2012, 18:23
N Irish.... you're an ass as usual toying with the members like that! :violent1:

Joe, yes I would let you try some on the house. I am really astounded with that comment of being garbage and wat to change if many others think the same. Everyone has always told me it was good. I mean not a fine bottle of expensive red or white wine but certainly ok. If not I want to change and change soon! We always try to sell a good product! :notworthy:

joe552
May 11th, 2012, 18:26
thanks Neal, I'll be taking you up on your offer :alc:

May 11th, 2012, 18:31
N Irish.... you're an ass as usual toying with the members like that! :violent1:

he he yeah yeah yeah - cause YABBA based popcorn is SO likely to come across in a club I guess ! lol - ha ha oh PLEASE come on ! lol - although as I said I think it's a GREAT idea :-) but it was 5.30am and I couldn't sleep but i see the mischievous side of my mind was already up and awake too he he :-)

We always try to sell a good product! :notworthy:

What about getting the boys ( not that they would touch such stuff of course) to organise some of my "ya pop" as apparently it goes down great in all the clubs these days :-) lol
"

lonelywombat
May 11th, 2012, 18:53
I tend to go with gin and tonic when it is hot and beer is not satisfying. There have been several bars including Happyboys that have given good service where the gin is noticeable in the glass.

The 160 baht per drink where the gin is noticeable is my rule of thumb.

But the many bars I have tried the choice of drinks is much wider than what this thread implies. G&T is 160 baht and you can taste it in Happyboys

In Sunee I always drink in Sunee at Sky restaurant and drinks. Next to Corner Bar. Strange name but TIT. Same price.

here is a link to Happyplace

http://www.nickysgaypattaya.com/gay-pat ... -boyztown/ (http://www.nickysgaypattaya.com/gay-pattaya/boyztown/map-boyztown/)

here is a link to Sky [etc]

http://www.nickysgaypattaya.com/gay-pat ... -boyztown/ (http://www.nickysgaypattaya.com/gay-pattaya/boyztown/map-boyztown/)

I am not happy with the drinks at The Venue but that is me.

Brettjm
May 11th, 2012, 19:43
Wombat I am just going to be in Patong. Staying with Aussie friends who have just built a retreat in Bali and then I won a free week in Patong so since it's going to be my birthday I thought "why not?"... $190 return from Bali to Phuket... totally a bargain.

vnman
May 11th, 2012, 20:50
How on earth did I miss this popcorn discussion. I don't know how you come up with these lines NIrish, but your talent is certainly wasted behind a desk, not writing comedy. :notworthy:

joe552
May 11th, 2012, 20:54
now don't encourage him, vnman - he writes enough shite as it is :occasion9:

May 12th, 2012, 01:03
OHHHH get you dear :-) "somebody's" just pissed as they were SO falling for the Ya pop story ! lol :-) Yabba popcorn he he that's still making me smile just thinking about how I was chucking as I wrote that a full 14 hours later - god I'm easily amused in life it seems :-)

joe552
May 12th, 2012, 01:06
yes, I fell for that one, NIrish Guy - but who's been promised free red wine from DaBoss? :occasion9:

May 12th, 2012, 01:11
Oh really.......welll all I can say it "don't hold yer hand on yer ass waiting on that as you might have a long wait" as I too was promised a cold beer on arrival in Pattaya and you know the guy was so cheap that rather than stump up for a simple beer or two he actually went to the trouble of organising himself to have a stroke exactly to coincide with my visit !!! I mean how MISERABLE is THAT !!! So, now that he's used up the old stroke card and looking at the price of wine in Thailand I dread to think what terrible ailment he's going to have to go to the trouble of arranging and getting through to get out of the whole red wine promise thing !!! I just hope that his medical insurance is all up to date that's all I can say !! :-(

Neal
May 12th, 2012, 04:21
It's the big one EDITH! Oh I can feel it now, tightening in my chest (or is it wallet?)

joe552
May 12th, 2012, 04:30
surely isn't a tightening in your nether regions? :occasion9:

first you renege on a promise to take me to dinner at Cafe whatever (that expensive one) and now I might not get my free taster of your red wine? I might have to rethink my patronage of your establishment. :violent1:

May 12th, 2012, 05:14
....I can feel it now, tightening in my chest

Try a bigger cup size dear.

:party

joe552
May 12th, 2012, 05:17
well it worked for you scottish dear :occasion9:

May 12th, 2012, 15:59
Well, since I moved up to a FFF cup size, I never get those pains anymore.

I only try to give helpful advice - if people won't take it, what can I do :dontknow: :dontknow:

:evil4:

anonone
May 13th, 2012, 18:07
lol :-) Aye ok Hands up :-) for the record and before people start rushing off to order large bowls of my "special Ya pop" I was jesting in response to the original question of "I wonder what they lace that with" - I couldn't resist :-) he he
:-)

What a hoot. Who knew the random comment about popcorn would have provided such fun? Seriously NIrish...well done. I was thinking for a bit...was I buzzed after eating it... awesome.

I am surprised no one else has seconded the recommendation for the popcorn (now that we know it is not Ya Pop... :sign5: ) Maybe it really is a secret thing, as the first basket was just ordinary stuff.

Or...Maybe the waiter was flirting with me, trying to get some action from me by serving up a special treat? Is this some type of Thai tradition, flirting with popcorn? I do seem to recall he was rather cute and made sure to "take care me"....hmmmmm

May 13th, 2012, 18:16
Or...Maybe the waiter was flirting with me, trying to get some action from me by serving up a special treat?

he he I was going to mention the other special pop corn some of the really cute waiters do as well for their special farang guests - the stuff where if you get the waiter hot and hard enough for you he takes your bowl of shitty popcorn away and brings you back a nice fresh bowl all covered in something that tastes warm, sticky and sweet lol - now THAT definitely might be possible in some certain bars in Sunnee for a few hundred baht if you suggest it !! ha ha

anonone
May 17th, 2012, 07:16
Nice. I have been in those bars. Haven't seen the popcorn...usually a tabletop is all that is required. :laughing3:

OK I am done with the popcorn comments. If someone knows what I am talking about, chime in. Otherwise, I will think I have turned a wee bit crazy. :crazy: