PDA

View Full Version : US President Obama supporting Gay Marriage

anonone
May 10th, 2012, 06:55
I rarely check out the Global Forum, but for me this is pretty substantial news and I am a bit excited by it.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-250_162-57431342/president-obama-says-sasha-and-malia-influenced-his-stance-on-gay-marriage/

Some interesting tidbits from the article...

President Obama became the first sitting president to declare that he believes gays and lesbians should be able to legally marry.

Advisors claim they'd been discussing for a few months about when to make an announcement, but then Vice President Biden sent the White House scrambling after, saying over the weekend in an interview that he was "absolutely comfortable" with men marrying men and women marrying women.

Support for same sex marriage is generational and the president said today his children don't understand why same-sex parents would be treated differently.

"It doesn't make sense to them and frankly, that's the kind of thing that prompts a change in perspective," Mr. Obama said.

I do not think this is something that is going to become a fast-tracked item for Obama. I believe real movement on this will come from the court system. But how great is it that these types of endorsements are coming out. I look into the crystal ball and see a time when I can marry a Thai BF and live in the US together....

vnman
May 10th, 2012, 07:57
But how great is it that these types of endorsements are coming out.
Yeah right, I'm more interested in the timing. :pukeleft:

anonone
May 10th, 2012, 09:12
Not sure what you mean....is there something bad about the timing?

joe552
May 10th, 2012, 18:45
I think there might be an election coming up - just a rumour I heard - maybe this is what vnman is referring to? :dontknow:

vnman
May 10th, 2012, 20:42
Exactly my point Joe. I find it hard to believe that Obama did some soul searching the past weeks and came to this humane conclusion. Is it a good thing? YES! Should we question his motives? YES YES!

anonone, you could always move to Washington, the state that is :-)

anonone
May 11th, 2012, 09:27
Oh sure, it is certainly election related. No doubt about that. I kind of thought that went without saying.

I actually view it as a very positive thing. How times have changed when a politician thinks they can get more votes by supporting gay marriage instead of proclaiming their "family values" nonsense. To me, it means the tide is turning with public opinion....which means real change is closer than ever.

As for moving to Washington state, I am not really interested in a state sanctioned marriage. That has no effect on immigration.

It will take Federal recognition of the marriage (most likely by court decision) before it means BF can live in the states with me. (assuming we are still together by then...but nice to have the option).

vnman
May 11th, 2012, 10:04
I really need to see a lesbian, secular president, before I'm really impressed. :binky:

anonone
May 11th, 2012, 21:30
Hilary was probably the best bet for that, so they missed their chance. :sign5:

Dboy
May 20th, 2012, 23:17
Exactly my point Joe. I find it hard to believe that Obama did some soul searching the past weeks and came to this humane conclusion. Is it a good thing? YES! Should we question his motives? YES YES!

Exactly. This was just a cynical ploy by Obama to attempt to resurrect some of his past support. He screwed his base for the past 4 years and now he's trying to patch things up by saying...nothing really. He deserves to lose, imo. I don't see much difference between the two "choices" and doubt that I will bother to vote.

Dboy